NM2 Treasure of Crocodile Island - Translations (with maps)

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Re: NM2 Treasure of Crocodile Island - Translations (with maps)

Postby TraverseTravis » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:50 pm

Spiffy! I feel like we're all exploring a secret corner of Mystara together.

One note: the name of the village "Roa-tana", appears to be coined from the switched syllables of the name of the chief village of the Isle of Dread, "Tanaroa".

It looks like both islands speak the same language. Is anyone familiar enough with Polynesian, Melanesian, and Micronesian languages to be able to tell what language the authors of X1 (and NM2) were thinking of? My first guess is Maori, since the Maori name for New Zealand, "Aotearoa" contains "-roa". And Maori (along with maybe Hawai'ian, Tahitian, and Samoan) is a famous enough language for Cook and Moldvay to've heard of without being linguists. (And Hawai'ian doesn't have an "r" sound.) Maybe the Thanegioth Islanders are M-Maoris?

Travis
TraverseTravis
Ogre

Postby morgue » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:29 pm

TravTrav - hey man. The Polynesian languages are all pretty close in meanings and word-components. "Tanaroa" isn't particularly Maori, and a quick google turns it up as a god in the mythology of Hawai'i.

X1's locals always struck me (speaking as a New Zealander) as not being Maori but belonging to islanders further north, in the tropical Pacific ocean - but to be honest, the differences involved are pretty slender. Indisputably, they're Mystara-Pasifika*, and I think the differences between our world and Mystara far outweigh the differences between, say, Maori and Tokelau.

* with a bit of Caribbean flavour mixed in - the zombie master etc.
morgue
Orc

Postby Havard » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:28 pm

Interesting thoughts on the people of the Thanegioth there guys! It is certainly cool if NM2 can add anything to the developing of those peoples in the greater region :)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:59 pm

More translations:

2) The Temple
On the small Volcanic Island in the middle of the lagoon, there’s a small, run down stone building that was once a temple. The temple consists of a single 5x12m room (4,5 m to the ceiling), and is constructed by huge lava blocks. By one wall there is an altar which has a niche for a religious icon behind it, but the statue is missing. 17cps n 3 gps can be found by digging in the dirt ground around the altar. The temple is unstable and each turn spent searching through the room, there is a 5% chance that some of the lava blocks shift position. If this happens three times in a row, the whole building will collapse, killing anyone inside instantly. Getting corpses out of the collapsed temple is close to impossible. If the temple collapses, there will be no more help from the natives. The PCs will have broken the taboo and have been punished by the gods.

3) The Dragon’s Cave
The second place which is taboo is a cave high up in a mountain side in the Shadow Mountains. This island is uninhabited, partly due to the fact that the terrain here is difficult to move through but also because those venturing here often end up as a snack for a huge Green Dragon often visiting the island. Should the PCs be insane enough to confront the dragon and be lucky enough to survive, injuring, but not killing the dragon, it will fly away (Most likely to get help from a couple of its cousins to return in order to sink the Sea Eagle and hunt down everyone aboard. Dragons tend to hold a grudge!) It only uses this cave as a place to rest and only keeps a little treasure here; Some gold necklaces, a heap of pearls, and a couple of silver goblets for a total value of 2700 gp.

(Stats for a Huge Green Dragon)

4) The Wreck of the Swallow
It’s about a 7m dive down to the wreck and if you don’t have any equipment or magic to aid in diving, it is going to be difficult to examine the wreck of the Swallow. The water in the lagoon is generally quite clear and even if some there is some sea weed growing near the wreck it is easy to manoeuvre inside the wreck. However, 3 Giant Squids live here.
(Stats for Giant Squid)

Searching through the Wreck you will not find the treasure as it has been removed and buried elsewhere on the island. Inside you will find the body of Nosanje, the magic user who made the treasure map. On his finger, he wears a serpent shaped ring, similar to the one Zarachton was wearing (referring to a member of the Sons of the Serpent- Havard). It contained a poisonous pill, but it has long since been dissolved. Anyone who touches the ring (without cleaning it first), will be exposed to the poison. The poison will disappear within one day, but if someone with poison on their hands eats or in any other way puts their hands to their mouth (60% chance), they will have to save vs. poison. If the save fails, the victim will fall ill for one day, throwing up and having to rest. If the character does not rest, he will fall into a coma for three days after which he can make another save. If this one fails, the result is death. If it succeeds, the character recovers, but his Con is reduced by 3 permanently.

Holding the Serpent shaped ring close to the treasure map will reveal new markings on the map. These show the treasure being located on the burial grounds in a cave by a broken mango tree.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: NM2 Treasure of Crocodile Island - Translations (with ma

Postby McDeath » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:44 pm

Was this translation fully finished? I did't know these modules existed. Where'd you find reference to it and it seems to be a series. ??
McDeath
Hobgoblin

Postby McDeath » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:10 am

From http://pandius.com/nm2trans.html

But no entry for 5 or 6? Ah well, its like 9 years ago?
McDeath
Hobgoblin

Postby Havard » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:45 pm

Hey, thanks for bringing this up again.

I guess it is yet another of my projects that got sidetracked along the way.

There were two adventures in the NM Series, both written for a Norwegian audience only and both set in the Known World based on the BECMI rulesets.

I originally only had access to NM2, but I now own both adventures.

I guess if there is interest in this, I could get back to it? :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Yaztromo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:01 pm

Good guess ;)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby religon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:06 pm

From the limited amount already translated, I really like the scale of the atoll. It looks like a straightforward, manageable adventure with some exotic X1 vibe.
religon
Bugbear

Postby McDeath » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:36 am

Awesome!

I tried to find a copy in the archived magazine rack but no dice. They look so old school so i am pretty interested. I couldn't see Thorfs map from image shack. Just kept taking me to my albums (new account so no albums. Wouldn't be hard to remake them in various styles i suppose. Just always loved that classic b/w.

Been sidetracked with a few GoG downloads and sunny weather. I need to make a map of my property. I even have a walking circle with 8 directional earth mounds and a stone mound in the middle. So i got a bit o Isle o dread village i walk in every day. (Just no water except rain).
McDeath
Hobgoblin

Postby Morfie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:10 am

Havard wrote:I guess if there is interest in this, I could get back to it? :)

-Havard

Yes, very interested! Although a language only translation won't be of much use to those of us who don't own the modules.. can you do a full copy or would that present legal issues?

What is the legitimacy of these modules? How did they get permission from TSR Inc to write their own? Did they have a licence similar to TSR UK? Why were these not published outside of Norway? So many questions..
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby Havard » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:45 pm

Morfie wrote:Yes, very interested! Although a language only translation won't be of much use to those of us who don't own the modules.. can you do a full copy or would that present legal issues?

That would probably be a violation of copyright. The adventures are pretty straight forward though so hopefully my translations can help. I also want to create map replicas.

What is the legitimacy of these modules? How did they get permission from TSR Inc to write their own? Did they have a licence similar to TSR UK? Why were these not published outside of Norway? So many questions..

Both adventures were written by Johannes Berg. In addition to being a very prolific figure in the RPG fandom in Scandinavia, he was involved in translating the Basic and Expert Rules to Norwegian. I would assume that there was some kind of lisence for the adventures, especially with the designation NM (Norway Module?), which reminds me of the Hebrew Modules (HCM1 Lunar Women and HCM2 Living Statue War) as well as the TSR UK modules. It seems this was something TSR was willing to allow foreign publishers to do. The NM modules were released as inserts in a Fantasy Magazine named Sirius rather than being published as self contained products however. NM2 looks much more professionally done than NM1. Sadly Mr Berg passed away several years ago so I can't ask him in detail about the situation. I have tried to investigate more into this, but that is as far as I have gotten so far.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:45 pm

With the original WotC topic gone, do you actually have everything you need to finish this?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby McDeath » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:22 am

Here's hoping all those modules get translated to English. Swore on the old tsr archives i saw some japanese originals too.
McDeath
Hobgoblin

Postby Robin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:48 am

nice work...is the material on pandius complete?
and to the first links given, this is imageshack...i can't view the material, as you have to log in
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Havard » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:31 am

Big Mac wrote:With the original WotC topic gone, do you actually have everything you need to finish this?

I think that between the stuff on Pandius and the files on my HD hopefully not too much was lost.

McDeath wrote:Here's hoping all those modules get translated to English. Swore on the old tsr archives i saw some japanese originals too.

AFAIK the official TSR archive materials only included English language mateiral.

I will see what I can do about the NM modules. It would be great to see the Hebrew exclusive modules translated as well, even if those supposedly were mostly comical.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:33 am

Robin wrote:nice work...is the material on pandius complete?
and to the first links given, this is imageshack...i can't view the material, as you have to log in

Thanks! The material on Pandius is not complete, but I will try to mend that.

I will see if I find a map to replace the imageshack one. IIRC it was mainly just a map of the Sea of Dread region to get the discussion going about where to locate Crocodile Island since the adventure is fairly vague on the exact placement in the Sea of Dread.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Robin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:46 am

nice...let us...(or at least me ;) wink wink) know when you've mend the missing parts...this is very nice old stuff...me like ;)
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:10 pm

Havard wrote:
I guess if there is interest in this, I could get back to it? :)

Please do!! :)

As far as legality is concerned, were these modules originally published in a Norwegian gaming magazine, or stand-alone products? One possible strategy is to find the original author (who is probably on FB) and:

1) Find out the nature of his agreement with TSR (i.e., exclusive rights in Norway/Norwegian language only*, or international, etc.), and whether there is a time limit on those rights**; and

2) Secure his agreement on translating the works into English so they may be shared, for free, with the broader audience.

Just a thought,

Geoff

*Many publishing contracts will specify language rights, outside of which the author is free to do what they want. Most of the ones I have signed specify English-language rights, which means I can still sell my work to a publisher for release in another language. If the author still has a copy of the contract and it specifies Norwegian language rights only and does not forbid translations and/or further dissemination in other languages, we may be okay distributing for free in English.

**Given the limited market for the NM modules (and thus TSR may not have been expecting to make lots of money out of it in licensing fees, anyway), there is a remote chance that all rights might have reverted fully back to the author after a specified period of time. If this is the case, all we would need is the author's permission and we would be fine.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Previous

Return to Mystara