Karawenn?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Karawenn?

Post by Havard » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:03 pm

OldDawg wrote:Havard,

In your timeline above, could you also list dates relative to the first book of the series (e.g. Y-300, Y+2, Y-10's, Y-1000's)? The more general things are, the greater wiggle room for easter egg connections.

You can reply here or over in GazF.
I edited the timeline to include what you suggested for the more immediate history. For older events, such as the fall of the Lodestone, I affixed that to the Great Rain of Fire, even though that is an interpretation for me. The only official information about these things is that they happened "a long time ago".

The most important thing that can be fixed into the timeline is that the Troll Wars happened when Holt was born, 16 years before the events of Pawns Prevail. Suitor's Duel occurs about two years after PP and Immortal Game about one year after that. At the end of The Immortal Game, it is suggested that the Dominons of Karawenn are moving towards becoming more unified, but that gives you 19 years between the Troll Wars and the end of The Immortal Game where the Dominions are severly weakened and perhaps even overlooked by outsiders. It is hard to say how big a realm Vanderthan was before the Troll Wars. Bedford, Rockeford and Rochester were dominions under Vanderthan back then, but it is possible that they were smaller dominons back then which have grown since they broke away from Vanderthan. Amana and the Ironwoods are likely younger kingdoms, perhaps formed as a result of the events of CM1 (AC1000+?).

Thanks for your interest :)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:55 am

Isn't there something wrong with the dating of the BC 23&33 events?
Also, it would probably better to have the AC 985 events (with Alphatia) placed at the right chronological order in the timeline.

Thank you for this timeline! I should really read those books, I own them but never got to it, both because they seemed like for a young audience and because they didn't look too Mystaran. Now I know better!
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:34 am

Andaire wrote:Isn't there something wrong with the dating of the BC 23&33 events?
Also, it would probably better to have the AC 985 events (with Alphatia) placed at the right chronological order in the timeline.!
Thanks for the feedback Herve! I have fixed the order of events you mention and edited some of them so they make more sense.
Thank you for this timeline! I should really read those books, I own them but never got to it, both because they seemed like for a young audience and because they didn't look too Mystaran. Now I know better!
Happy to be of assistance. :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:57 pm

Dominions of Karawenn

Amana, Earldom of
Ruler: Earl Terrence
Capital: Amana
Population: 600 Humans
Amana is a younger realm, formed after the Trollwars. For a time a terrible Black Stag spread terror in the land, killing people with its gaze attack. It was eventually killed by Earl Terrence himself.

Bedford
Capital: Tergal
Ruler: Lord Bluth Tergal
Population: 400 Humans
This land has often been ravaged by goblins. Young men of Bedford learn to hate Goblins at an early age. Their ruler, Lord Bluth is rumoured to have singlehadedly killed 100 goblins in a single battle. Bedford is famous for its weavers.

Graytor, Castle
Capital: Graytor
Ruler: None
Population: 0 (Abandoned)
Graytor was once the realm of a wizard of the same name. Ever since the Wizard was destroyed the castle has remained abandoned.

Graywall, Autonomous Dwarf-City of

Capital: Graywall
Ruler: Unknown
Population: 1000 dwarves
Dwarves have been living in Graywall since 500 BC. They mostly keep to themselves. For a time, there were attempts to colonize the Jagged Teeth mountains, but this project was apparently abandoned some centuries ago. The dwarves have had many clashes with the Trolls and humanoids of the Trollheights. They are on friendly terms with the Yetis, though consider the creatures too foolish to bother much with.

Greenbriar Woods, Elfland of
Ruler: Elf-Lord Syssal Kippican
Population: 600 elves
These woods are home to the Kippican clan of elves.These Shyie elves have lived in Karawenn since 600 BC when they emigrated from the Shyie Lawr lands of Alphatia. Originally the Greenbriar elves lived all over Karawenn, but after their controntations with the Wizard Graytor, the elves withdrew from many of their older foresthomes and are now rarely encountered outside the Greebriar Woods.

Ironwoods, Barony of
Capital: Ironwoods
Ruler: Baron Durquessson
Population: 700 humans
A younger barony, the Ironwoods are ruled by Baron Durquesson. The barony was settled mostly by immigrants from Glantri. Averoignian language is often heard spoken in the realm.
A white gargoyle recently spread terror in the land until it was destroyed by Baron Durquesson. Rumour has it that the Wizard Graytor used such creatures as his servants. Some of them may have survived when that wizard was destroyed and even made it as far as the Ironwoods.

Knollbarrens, Dominion of
Capital: Oxvale Village
Ruler: None. Subject to the King of Vanderthan
Population: 500 humans, 300 sylvan creatures (Hsiao, Actaeons, Sprites etc)
The Knollbarrens is mainly a land of farmers, still loyal to Vanderthan. The people who live here are known as Darymen. Although viewed as simple peasants by most others, some of the greatest heroes of the Trollwars make their home in this rugged area. The Knollbarrens are also know for their cheese which is considered the best in all of Karawenn.

Rochester, Kingdom of

Capital: Darwill
Ruler: Unknown. The King of Rochester has two sons, Prince Gallarath and Prince Wallas.
Population: 600 humans
Chivalry is held in high regard in Rochester. For a time the land was home to a monster known as the Blue Gorgon, which caused trouble in the countryside, turning people into stone. Eventually, the creature was slain by Prince Gallarath. Many statues of petrified humans and animals can still be seen travelling through Rochester.

Rockeford, Domain of

Capital: Rockeford
Ruler: Grand Knight Erik Merriwell
Population: 200 humans, 7000 humanoids
This dominion is secretly allied with the Trolls of Trollheight and have been so since the Trollwars. Rockeford’s ruler, Grand Knight Erik Merriwell is a servant of Entropy. Trolls, humans and witches are among Grand Knight Erik’s servants.

Trollheights, Yeti Lands of
Capital: The Yeti Castle
Ruler: Winterbeard and Frostcrown
Population: 100 yetis
The Yetis of the Trollheights are quite intelligent, although lacking in sophistication. They are suspicious of humans, but hate Trolls with a passion. They are on relatively friendly terms with the dwarves of Graywall.

Vanderthan, Kingdom of
Capital: Vanderton
Ruler: King Dathwell. His daughter Danis is next in line for the crown.
Population: 1000 humans
Vanderthan once controlled all the dominons of Karawenn, but since the Trollwars, many regions gained autonomy since the kingdom was severely weakened by the war.

A quick writeup of the dominions marked on this map. Population figures are just something I made up. I tried to keep them fairly low, but I don't know what you guys think.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:12 pm

Since OldDawg is looking into Karawenn again, I thought I could post some of the monsters I have created, based on/inspired by the trilogy:

Gargoyle, White
Armor Class 5
Hit Dice 6***(L)
Move 90(30)
Flying 150 (50)
Attacks 2 claws/1 bite/1 horn or special
Damage 1d3/1d3/1d6/1d4 or special (see below)
No. Appearing 1d4
Save As F8
Morale 11
Treasure Type C
Intelligence 5
Alignment Chaotic
XP Value 250
Monster Type: Construct
The Wizard Graytor used Gargoyles of many different varieties to defend his castle. White Gargoyles appear like regular Gargoyles except that they are carved out of ice. Like regular Gargoyles, they can only be hit by magical weapons and are immune to sleep and charm spells. In combat they can attack with claws, bite and horns, or they can choose to breathe a 30’ long and 10’ wide cone of Ice causing 3D10 points of damage. A save vs. Dragon breath halves the damage. The White Gargoyle can only use its breath weapon once every 3rd round. White Gargoyles take double damage from fire based attacks.
Terrain: Caverns, Ruins
Load: 2000 cn at full speed, 4000 cn at half speed

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:13 pm

Some more details from Doug Niles:

dniles wrote:
havard wrote:Welcome Doug!

Here are a couple of random questions:

1) CM1 Test of the Warlords is one of my favorite modules. Were you given free reins on developing the Norwold region or were there any directions from TSR staff?

2) I know it was a long time ago, but do you have any advice when designing Companion Level modules?

3) Over the years I have grown more and more fond of the Quest Triad novels (Pawns Prevail etc). Someone mentioned how the names in those books sounded Dutch. Was Dutch culture an important inspiration for how you pictured the human culture in those novels?

4) I have been trying to adapt the Karawenn region from those novels to Norwold. Here's a mapI made to place the locations from the novels near the Great Bay of Norwold. Does this look right to you? I had to shift the N-S axis a little to fit things better with the Great Bay.

Hope you have time to answer these. Thanks in advance :)

-Havard

Wow, these queries take me back! As I recall, I had a lot of freedom when it came to adding on to the northern side of the D&D world. Norwold was pretty much my baliwick. Frank and I brainstormed a lot about the Companion set, which he did most of the design for--though I had the pleasure of creating the War Machine mass combat system. I think the concept for that came from Gary himself. It was a real challenge, but fun to put into workable concept. Unfortunately, my memory of the specifics is pretty hazy...I can't think of any design tips that would be useful today.

The QUEST TRIAD is one of my favorite series among my own works--though only writing I've done for young readers. I was pretty sad when those went out of print. Interesting that you make a Dutch connection. I was actually thinking more of Wisconsin (I am a lifelong cheesehead, after all.) The "Darymen", for example...and several of the border cities were named after cities that border Wisconsin. I think there's a Rockford, Iron Mountain, and Rochester, if memory serves.

There was never any official map that put Karawenn on the D&D map. Not sure why not, but anyplace you can make it fit (and the climate allows cows to survive and flourish!) sounds good to me.
Source: http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 2&start=15

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:44 am

I finally read the books!
There is an advantage to the shift to e-books: I've stopped buying paper books and am reading those that still remain on my shelves, before I go electronic. And this includes some old Mystara books that I had passed over so far.

Since they were kiddie books and I remembered old discussions on the matter, I did something I rarely do: I read the book while browsing Havard's map, history, etc., which contained spoilers. However, it helped make the story less generic and anchor it to Mystara, to a place and time, which I thought were very well chosen, and had me thinking about subjects I will share in further posts. As for the spoilers, since it was not a particularly impressive story anyway, it was well worth the trade-off. So thank you Havard!

Andaire
Stone Giant

Karawenn's location

Post by Andaire » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:08 pm

I like the location for Karawenn, both in place and time.
My main reason for posting is to see how it can best integrate with fan material, particularly with the Mystaran Almanac of course. But that'll be the subject of a subsequent thread. First, a few words about Mystaran canon and book canon.

So, the book's map has been shifted slightly to better align with Norwold's. No big loss there, it's a good fit.
As a result the Tannyv River is added to Norwold, but we already knew that only the biggest rivers and lakes are shown on the large map of the subcontinent, like the White Bear River. So it's just added detail, no problem.
In the last book, Holt wonders what he will find on the western border of Karawenn, past the Skyspire Volcano, and one of his ideas is even higher, impassable mountains. In the book, he finds an ocean instead, but in the Norwold placement he would see a forested valley crossed by the White Bear River, with in the distance the high, impassable mountains of the Icereach Range that cut Norwold off from the rest of Brun. Better that way.

The biggest change, of course, is the World's End Canyon, which should have shown on the maps of Norwold given its size, and the fact that it divides the region, including the Lothbarth Forest. In order to accommodate it, you made it somewhat less spectacular, and less planar. How about this: less massive, with its grandness in the book being in part an effect of the locals' aggrandizement and isolation, so to them it is a feature and natural obstacle to be reckoned with, and appropriately overblown. I would keep its extra-planar connection, though, in relation to Norwold's other ones: the Arch of Fire is linked to the Plane of Fire, the Maelstrom to the Plane of Water, so it would be fitting that World's End also would similarly have a link to an elemental plane.

Karawenn is very much contained, bordered on most sides by natural barriers. This, plus its history and backwardness, would explain why it remains mostly unheard of, out of touch, with little contact either diplomatically, or through trade or travel.
In the east lies the World's End, impassable except by flight.
To the north are the Jotunhemr (or Jotunheimr? this has to be resolved), called Trollheights by the locals, with few passes guarded by hostile trolls and unpredictable yetis.
To the west, the Jagged Teeth, or Wyrm Range, has almost no known passes, and dragons occasionally dwell there.
To the southeast is the Great Bay of Norwold. Most of Karawenn is inland; the coast has no towns, and no ports. I guess this needs only to be explained by the fact that this stretch of land is not good coastal land, until the area claimed by the hin of Leeha further to the southwest. In addition, boats and barges should also not be able to go all the way down the Tannyv to the Great Bay, in order to keep Karawenn so isolated; with the fact that Vanterton is located further up the river and no town by the bay, I'd suggest that the river forms a swampy, dangerous delta, or something similar.
To the southwest is heavy forest, the Western Lothbarth, beyond which lies the hin lands of Leeha. Since access is barred by shoreline, and inland by the forest, Karawenn has limited contact there as well.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:00 pm

Andaire wrote:I finally read the books!
There is an advantage to the shift to e-books: I've stopped buying paper books and am reading those that still remain on my shelves, before I go electronic. And this includes some old Mystara books that I had passed over so far.
Congratulations! I like how technological advancement is actually leading you to read more books :)
Since they were kiddie books and I remembered old discussions on the matter, I did something I rarely do: I read the book while browsing Havard's map, history, etc., which contained spoilers. However, it helped make the story less generic and anchor it to Mystara, to a place and time, which I thought were very well chosen, and had me thinking about subjects I will share in further posts. As for the spoilers, since it was not a particularly impressive story anyway, it was well worth the trade-off. So thank you Havard!
Thank you! I am happy to hear that my maps helped make your reading experience of these books more interesting. I think this is what made me make the maps in the first place. Believing that the books were set in Mystara helped make the story feel more relevant than just a generic story set in a separate world that would never again be revisited by the author.

I agree that the story might not be that impressive, though I have to say that I grew quite fond of the characters after reading three books about them :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:06 pm

Havard wrote:Congratulations! I like how technological advancement is actually leading you to read more books :)
I agree that the story might not be that impressive, though I have to say that I grew quite fond of the characters after reading three books about them :)
Eh, even after three books... The latest sagas I've been reading are George RR Martin's and Robert Jordan's. Tough competition.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Karawenn's location

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:09 pm

Andaire wrote:The biggest change, of course, is the World's End Canyon, which should have shown on the maps of Norwold given its size, and the fact that it divides the region, including the Lothbarth Forest. In order to accommodate it, you made it somewhat less spectacular, and less planar. How about this: less massive, with its grandness in the book being in part an effect of the locals' aggrandizement and isolation, so to them it is a feature and natural obstacle to be reckoned with, and appropriately overblown.
Maybe the opposite is true. Maybe Thyatian mapmakers thought the stories of the massive planar rift were too grandiose to believe, so they dismissed the canyon as a myth and left it out of their maps. So instead of its absence from other sources being the result of the Karawennians' overinflated opinions, it's the result of Thyatian's underinflated opinions.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:00 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:Maybe the opposite is true. Maybe Thyatian mapmakers thought the stories of the massive planar rift were too grandiose to believe, so they dismissed the canyon as a myth and left it out of their maps. So instead of its absence from other sources being the result of the Karawennians' overinflated opinions, it's the result of Thyatian's underinflated opinions.
Definitely a possibility. We learned two things about cartography from VotPA: the Thyatian maps, despite being the norm (ever since the disappearance of Nithia - Thothia may retain some good maps), are very approximative to say the least; and Alphatian cartographers never cared for barbarian lands (until Prince Haldemar). The Thyatian colonies were mostly to the south; northerly parts were probably mapped from the coast, and from tales from native Antalians carried over by allied Ostlander raiders/settlers.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:40 pm

Andaire wrote:I like the location for Karawenn, both in place and time.
My main reason for posting is to see how it can best integrate with fan material, particularly with the Mystaran Almanac of course. But that'll be the subject of a subsequent thread. First, a few words about Mystaran canon and book canon.
I am pretty happy about locating it in Norwold too. Timelinewise it can be moved a bit, but I'd rather not move the events of the book too far into the future or into the past.
So, the book's map has been shifted slightly to better align with Norwold's. No big loss there, it's a good fit.
As a result the Tannyv River is added to Norwold, but we already knew that only the biggest rivers and lakes are shown on the large map of the subcontinent, like the White Bear River. So it's just added detail, no problem.
In the last book, Holt wonders what he will find on the western border of Karawenn, past the Skyspire Volcano, and one of his ideas is even higher, impassable mountains. In the book, he finds an ocean instead, but in the Norwold placement he would see a forested valley crossed by the White Bear River, with in the distance the high, impassable mountains of the Icereach Range that cut Norwold off from the rest of Brun. Better that way.
Yeah. I think the main point is that Karawenn is a pretty remote place with few people in the region having the means or ability to travel beyond those lands. Since they are mainly poor farmers, we dont need anything beyond natural obstacles to keep them there.
The biggest change, of course, is the World's End Canyon, which should have shown on the maps of Norwold given its size, and the fact that it divides the region, including the Lothbarth Forest. In order to accommodate it, you made it somewhat less spectacular, and less planar. How about this: less massive, with its grandness in the book being in part an effect of the locals' aggrandizement and isolation, so to them it is a feature and natural obstacle to be reckoned with, and appropriately overblown. I would keep its extra-planar connection, though, in relation to Norwold's other ones: the Arch of Fire is linked to the Plane of Fire, the Maelstrom to the Plane of Water, so it would be fitting that World's End also would similarly have a link to an elemental plane.
I wanted to keep it linked to the Dimension of Nightmares due to the presence of the Nightwing in the first novel. I also thought about it as a parallell to the Arch of Fire.

Karawenn is very much contained, bordered on most sides by natural barriers. This, plus its history and backwardness, would explain why it remains mostly unheard of, out of touch, with little contact either diplomatically, or through trade or travel.
In the east lies the World's End, impassable except by flight.
Agreed.

To the north are the Jotunhemr (or Jotunheimr? this has to be resolved), called Trollheights by the locals, with few passes guarded by hostile trolls and unpredictable yetis.
To the west, the Jagged Teeth, or Wyrm Range, has almost no known passes, and dragons occasionally dwell there.
In all of the above examples, the map fits pretty well with what is described in the novels IMO.
To the southeast is the Great Bay of Norwold. Most of Karawenn is inland; the coast has no towns, and no ports. I guess this needs only to be explained by the fact that this stretch of land is not good coastal land, until the area claimed by the hin of Leeha further to the southwest. In addition, boats and barges should also not be able to go all the way down the Tannyv to the Great Bay, in order to keep Karawenn so isolated; with the fact that Vanterton is located further up the river and no town by the bay, I'd suggest that the river forms a swampy, dangerous delta, or something similar.
To the southwest is heavy forest, the Western Lothbarth, beyond which lies the hin lands of Leeha. Since access is barred by shoreline, and inland by the forest, Karawenn has limited contact there as well.
Yeah. The main contact between Karawenn and outside realms would be with Leeha. I liked the idea of Gazzrick Whiptoe being an ambassador from Leeha.

I think it is cool that you are considering this for the Almanacs. I added the following event which I sort of liked to my timeline:
Karawenn Timeline wrote: AC1019 (PP+13)
King Dathwell of Vanderthan dies. King Holton and Queen Danis ascend the throne of Vanderthan unitining Vanderthan and the Knollbarrens. Rockeford, Rochester, Bedford and Amana also fall within the kingdom, now known as the Kingdom of Karawenn. Holton and Danis journey to Castle Graytor and use the Source Lodestone to close the World’s End gate. (Extrapolated from IG)
At the end I suggest that the World's End gate could have been closed. I found it strange that this phenomenon was not revisited later in the trilogy. If you are interested, the date could be changed to AC1020 so that this could be an event in the next Almanac along with Karawenn becoming an independent kingdom ruled hy Holton and Danis. According to my timeline, Holton would be 30 years in AC1020.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:03 pm

The PLANESCAPE novel Planar Powers by J. Robert King includes a scene where one of the characters, after wandering through a number of vaguely defined portals, ends up on an unnamed plane that includes a fairly vast chasm/planar rift. The terrain around it is a forested, thinly populated area inhabited by rural humans, and without having read Douglas Niles's Quest Triad, I wondered if it was some kind of homage to Karawenn (since J. Robert King wrote a couple other novels in the FIRST QUEST series). It's probably not literally the same place, since the origins of the planar rift are different, though there aren't many time cues in King's series (and there's a great deal of time dilation/weird temporal effects in any case) so in theory this could've all taken place a thousand years ago.

Planar Powers is not a very good book, by the way (it's the third book in a trilogy that deliberately shifts from drama to silly farce - the rift essentially is formed by a gigantic copy of Planar Powers by J. Robert King falling through the planes, though it's not quite as silly as I made it sound), and there aren't really any Karawenn-related details worth mining from it, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
"It's more than a chasm. It's a tear between worlds."

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:49 pm

Very cool find! Does anything happen in this area during the plot of the novel that could be used for the timeline?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:52 am

Havard wrote:Very cool find! Does anything happen in this area during the plot of the novel that could be used for the timeline?

-Havard
A giant book fell through the planes! And Zabor, a wizard native to the land near the rift, carved a magical chain capable of binding the Lady of Pain from the breastbone of a dead god. Zabor traveled to Sigil in order to attempt to sell it.

I probably wouldn't add these things to the timeline, though.

OldDawg
Troll

Post by OldDawg » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:42 am

In the course of developing the Leeha gaz (still crawling along at 1 page every 2-3 weeks), I made Karawenn integrable to the whole of GazF, just not the 1000 AC era.

Basically the Darymen are "Dairymen" - a slang term the semi-nomadic barbarians use to describe their sedentary brethren. One of the western subtribes are the Vanders (< Vanderthan). The modern Vanderthan is a creation of the landrush, post-landrush, in the image of a former barbarian nation allied with the Volospin-era Alphatian colonies.

The Troll Wars are fixed to coincide with the AC 1020 great conflict between humans and humanoids that always was listed in Gaz timelines.

The End of the World is just a canyon/river valley with magical hotspots.

Here is the general timeline I've adopted (based on Havard's work):

Timeline
468: Alphatians and allied barbarians established Vanderthan.
468: The wizard Graytor discovered the Source Lodestone. Enslaved giants built his fortress atop it as he warred with local humans.
504: Elves, humans, and beasts slew the Graytor. The Lodestone Blade is created. Vanderthan and other realms dissolved.
542: Elven enchantment failed to destroy Castle Graytor, magically altered the End of the World rift.
930 AC: Syssal Kippican born.
981 AC: Fenrald Falwak born.
1002 AC: Dathwell of Vanderthan born.
1006: Dwarves established Greywall.
1010 AC: Lord Bluth Terragal born.
1014 AC: Gallarath of Rochester born.
1020 AC: Trollwars of Karawenn. The Darymen, Bedford, Rochester, and Rockeford break from Vanderthan in its aftermath. Holton Jaken born.
1021 AC: Birth of Danis Vanderthan.
1022 AC: Wallas of Rochester is born.
1030 AC: Terragal repels goblins.
1031 AC: Gazzrick Whiptoe becomes the Leehan ambassador to Vanderthan. The Barony of Ironwood founded.
1033 AC: Sir Erik Merriwell slays the Bull Troll of Rockeford.
1034 AC: Baron Durquesson defeats the White Gargolye of Ironwood.
1035 AC: Immortal creation of the Crown of Vanderthan. Xtan the Red Dragon destroys gnomish and woodland settlements to the west; Pumice resists. Terrence Degraine hunts the Black Stag. Prince Gallarath slays the Blue Gorgon.
1036 AC: Pawns Prevail: The Crown of Vanderthan is discovered, and the Lodestone Blade is reactivated.
1038 AC: Suitors Duel. Nobles seek the hand of Princess Danis. Rockeford allies with the Trollheights against Vanderthan, which is supported by Greenbriar, Rochester, and Graywall.
1039 AC: Immortal Game. Ira the Hsiao becomes king of Riftvale. Xytan is defeated and the Crown of Vanderthan destroyed. Holton Jaken receives title to the Knollbarrens.
1040 AC: Sir Holton weds Danis.
1049 AC: King Dathwell dies. Unified Kingdom of Karawenn under Holton and Danis. Closure of the World’s End gate.
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:30 pm

Cool. I am glad you have been thinking about Mystara while you were away from the Piazza. I am looking forward to the Leeha gaz.

I am a little puzzled at how far into the future you pushed the events from the novels. I can see the connection between the Troll Wars and the AC1020 timeline event, but having the final events from my timeline in AC1049 seems really far away. I could have just as easily seen the Troll Wars linked to WotI for instace, without it significantly changing the AC1000 version of the region.

Will you be using the Immortals from the novels at all? They could even be mortals at some point prior to the novels.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Mystara”