A mid-Expert campaign in the Sea of Dread

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: A mid-Expert campaign in the Sea of Dread

Post by Chimpman » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:05 pm

Hey GP, just came across this thread and I'm wondering a couple of things.

1) Has the campaign progressed at all in the months since you last posted?

2) Will you be putting together a campaign document like you did for the Lords of the Cruth Lowlands?

I'm really liking the way you are portraying the kopru, and how you've been playing them as more than just monsters sitting in bubbling pools. These guys should have long term goals and plans like the ones you've laid out above!
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:45 pm

Thanks!

1) Our D&D campaign is on hold while we play a modern horror/spy game (basically Night's Black Agents' Dracula Dossier campaign, using Unisystem Conspiracy X rules instead of GUMSHOE)

2) Potentially yes, although this campaign relies more heavily on published works, so it might work best as a shorter article rather than a full campaign document.

GP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:38 pm

And, I'm back to this campaign. Some of my players were somewhat tired of the more constraining aspects of modern/horror games such as Call of Cthulhu (we played Dracula Dossier, then Horror on the Orient Express, then Esoterrorists: Worldbreaker, each lasting almost one year), so after a three years iatus, we are back to the campaign.
This also means I now have two BECMI/Mystara campaigns active, something I hadn't done in a long time :)

We just went back to the PCs discovering they had no memories of the last couple of months, and having just investigated the disappearance of the Kopru idol. They now tried to stow aboard a ship bound to the Island of Honor, only to discover that the Royal Navy of Ierendi has its own wizards...

GP

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:59 pm

Interesting thread...

It caught my eye since our campaign just started x1 and just reached the isle of dread.

Adventure path to get here Basic old caves to mystamere, now on to x1, to catch up one player, had them go through blizzard pass as a side adventure.

I had a much different campaign planned the next adventure was supposed to be a whole B4 lost city, but they decided to sail, I had the Rory map located by them, so they went that direction instead of a caravan into B4.

I will probably spring x7 on them for the return trip, and possibly x9.
I am giving them a run through of several old modules, for nostalgia, and insert whatever makes sense.

They took a longship which they owe heavily on, and most of their treasure will probably go to pay for the boat, but that is what they choose.

funny how campaigns take a turn.

Anyway, I may plunder ideas from your campaign, we will see how the group does with the Kopru.
After reading this adventure through in detail for the first time since high school, the one strange part about the module was the village in the central crater, I cannot really see how they sustain themselves over periods of time if the crater walls are so difficult to traverse. (not a big deal, I'm sure my group won't blink at this small detail.

We will see if the campaign catches up to you as far as timeline or adventures.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:21 am

BotWizo wrote:Interesting thread...
Thanks. Meanwhile, two of the adventurers who had been arrested for trying to enter the arsenal of Ierendi and impersonating officers were freed on condition that they recover King Palfrit's daughter, who has been captured by pirates on route to Minrothad. The PCs and their hirelings fought the War Rafts and the Tritons, but their ship was sunk. They did manage to kill two of the tritons and wound or incapacitate others, so the tritons left. One of the PCs has a sword with the water breathing power, so he managed to reach Koom the Storm Giant, who was swimming well under the sea surface a few hours after the sinking of the PCs' ship.
Koom brought the party to his castle under the sea.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:23 am

The two Elf PCs negotiated with Koom, gaining the help of an immature Sea Giant (a nephew of Koom), as well as the loan of Koom's underwater boat. The PCs then traveled to two of the southern Baronies of Undersea, gaining the help of Baroness Magdalene of Soua. Then, they went to Suthus, where they were received by King Lopra, who revealed that Corinna, King Palfrit's daughter, has been delivered to Hadric of Colhador as a sacrifice.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:06 pm

The party is now split, with two Elf PCs in Undersea, where they braved Colhador, rescuing the daughter of King Palfrit of Ierendi. This cost them some time, and a lot of effort -- one of the PCs ended up dead, but was resurrected by Baroness Magdalena, who is a powerful cleric.

Meanwhile, the two Thief PCs in Ierendi, dealing with the troubles caused by Baron Milton Rackham, Chancellor of the Tribunal and the true political leader of the kingdom. Following the Freeport Trilogy, the two Thieves discovered the connection between Rackham's political lackey (here Gak Verlaine, Chancellor of the Council), and the construction of the Great Lighthouse, as well as the magical components and mysterious signs used in the construction materials. Rackham tried to throw them off his trail by sacrificing Verlaine, but the PCs forced the assassins to flee, defended the People's Temple from an attack from the BotYS, and captured one of the assassins. The High Temple Officer, Thuron, revealed that he, as a shapechanger from Undersea, was the target of the assassins. He claimed he was investigating the BotYS, and offered some information, then went to Rackham's ball with the PCs (one of them is a member of another Tribune's family).

Luckily for them, they have now the ability to hire a few retainers, so splitting the party is less deadly than it might prove otherwise. Next, the grand finale, with Rackham's attempt to kill off the PCs and finalize the Lighthouse.

Return to “Mystara”