List of Known Dragons?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Havard
Dragon Turtle

List of Known Dragons?

Post by Havard »

Has anyone compiled a list of known dragons of Mystara?

If we have a list in place it might also be interesting to construct family trees and hierarchies.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: List of Known Dragons?

Post by agathokles »

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Thanks Agathokles! I love it when the research has already been done for me:
Vaults of Pandus wrote: Amanth: an old Red female, in Wendar, near Glantri (Dragon Magazine #171)
Ambur: a Red male, in Rockhome (Dragon Magazine #171)
Arbendael: a Gold female, exalted servant and consort of the Great One, mother of Thelvaenier (Dragonlord of Mystara)
Argos the Worrier: a Green male, in the Dymrak forest, Karameikos. (Dragon Magazine #171)
Attura: a Green female, in the Atruaghin Plateau (Dragon Magazine #171)
Azem: a Gold female, in Hin form in the Five Shires, has the feather of Maat (Dragon Magazine #171)
Brulefer: Blue unknown, in Denagoth (X11)
Daresha: a Gold female, Marthean's mate and foster mother of Therandael (Dragonlord of Mystara)
Diamond: the Star Dragon, Lawful Immortal (used to be Thelvyn the Gold, and briefly incarnated by the human Jaggar von Drachenfels).
Druuwor: a White male, in the Makkres Mountains (Northern Reaches) (Dragon Magazine #171)
Eruptaar: a Gold male, King of the nation of Dragons, in the MMB, "World in Flames", by Bruce Heard
Galishan: a Gold male, in Glantri, may be a friend of Raknaar? (from netMAG2)
Gheradaen: Gold male (Dragonlord of Mystara)
Great Dragon: the first Dragon Immortal (Immortals set, WotI), was a member of the extinct "Grey" Dragons (Dragonlord of Mystara)
Idris: an Immortal of Entropy. Black or Night Draconess/Dracologist? (X11)
Jaelynix: Blue female, Sind (MML)
Jargnir: a Black female, in the Great Marsh (Soderfjord) (Dragon Magazine #171)
Jherdar: a Red male, Speaker for the Reds (Dragonlord of Mystara)
Kardyer: a Red male, killed by Thelvaenier (Dragonlord of Mystara)
Khanistar: a Blue female, Ethengar (Dragon Magazine #171)
Kharendaen: Gold female, mate of Thelvyn, went to the Draconic Cluster with the Immortal Diamond (Dragonlord of Mystara)
Khordarg: a Red female, in the Orclands (PWA 1014 & 1015)
Kindling: Gold male, in Wyrmsteeth Range (MMB - in Bruce Heard's Future of the HK storyline)
Kirbey, Sir George: A Mandrake, became a Gold male (Dragonlord of Mystara)
Lhoran: a Blue male (Dragonlord of Mystara)
Lhorandyn: a Gold male (Dragonlord of Mystara)
Marudi, a Blue male in Ylaruam (Dragon Magazine #171)
Marthaen: a Gold male, Speaker of the Parliament and foster father of Therandael, probably still elder Speaker for the Golds (Dragonlord of Mystara)
Murodnir: a Black male (Dragonlord of Mystara)
Opal: the Sun Dragon, Neutral Immortal
Pearl: the Moon Dragon, Chaotic Immortal
Pyre: a Vermilion male, has the Ebony Eye (Savage Coast, Dragon#196)
Raknaar: a Gold male, occupies Anton Vlaardoen's body in Glantri
Respen-ak-Tarpis: a Red male, Prince of Arentela (GAZ 4, p. 27)
Saerna: Ancient Dragon, belonged to the original race of the Great Dragon (Dragonlord of Mystara)
Seldaek: Gold male, cleric of the Great One (head of Diamond's clergy, perhaps...?) (Dragonlord of Mystara)
Synn: Queen of the Night Dragons, Dolores Hillsbury in Glantri
Thalbar: a Black male (Dragonlord of Mystara)
Thalkor: a Black male, in the Malpheggi Swamp in Darokin (Dragon Magazine #171)
Thelvaenier: a Gold male, Diamond during his mortal life, son of the Great One and Arbendael (Dragonlord of Mystara)
Therandael: a Gold female, daughter of Thelvaenier and Khaerendaen, raised by Marthaen (Dragonlord of Mystara)
Thundar: a female Sea Dragon, north of the Aloysius Reefs (volcano of Thun, see map of PC2) (Dragon Magazine #171)
Valamaeraen: Bronze male, in Karameikos (MML)
Verdilith : Green male, in the Dymrak forest (Knight of Penhaligon)
"Veronique Gaudin": a Gold female (?) in human form in Glantri, real name unknown (Mark of Amber)
Vitriol: Black male, in Denagoth (X11)
Is this pretty much a complete list then? I could have sworn there would be more. How about unnamed Dragons?

Stepping outside core canon a bit, Blackmoor has the following three:

Insellageth: IMC I am making him the Diamond Dragon in the Blackmoor Age.
Tsartha: The Gray Dragon. The WotI Great Dragon entry mentions that these dragons were common in previous ages. IMC I am making her the Opal Dragon in the Blackmoor Age. She has a temple dedicated to her in Glendover.
Chamber: Spawn of Insellageth and Tsartha. IMC I am making him the Pearl Dragon of the Blackmoor Age. In that age he has a lair near the city of Maus.

Although he is not mentioned in the Blackmoor books, I am making Io the Great One of that age. Insellageth could have been another Great One candidate, but that would have left us without a Diamond Dragon. I am also pondering on incorporating Tiamat and Bahamut into this structure.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

Havard wrote: I am also pondering on incorporating Tiamat and Bahamut into this structure.
It's your world, Havard. :ugeek:

Me? I would stay away from bringing those two into Mystara as new dragon-ish immortals/gods. The names, however, I'd use as X culture's names for one or another of the dragon rulers, much like the Mystaran cultures have differing names for certain "stock" Immortals.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

mister c
Ogre

Post by mister c »

There is also Verminthrax, an ancient red dragon who inhabits the Moktor Fire Pits beneath the Great Waste (Champions of Mystara p27). He is described as having access to magic items allowing him to take human form to better explore the caves of Graakhalia.
The same book also mentions a small (unnamed) blue dragon living on the southern edge of the Plain of Fire. Could thhis be linked to Jaelynix?
Looking through X5 Temple of Death turns up an unnamed old red dragon guarding the Well of the Moon in the Great Pass. It is a spell casting dragon.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

In the Poor Wizard Almanac III, pages 232-233, Sitara Rohini and Anand Brishnapur, prophets of Gareth, killed the adult red dragon Everdire that terrified sindhi villages for some years. In exchange for this deed, they received the Staff of Gareth from the young copper dragon Vasylion the Younger, who has a lair in the Kurish Massif. It seems maybe Everdire had binded Vasylion and the latter wished to be free.
Probably other dragos are mentioned in the almanacs...

Also I just wrote something on Karameikos' dragons that I know here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12811&p=151134#p151134
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Post by Zendrolion »

Some other named and living (in AC 1000) canonic dragons I didn't see mentioned above:

* Caeric (Small White): no precise placement, subdued and used as mount by a warrior named Renn (AC10).

* Ravellia (Small Black): no precise placement (AC10).
* Snagglefang (Huge Black): lives in Fenhold Swamp, Darokin (CM9).

* Viridis (Small Green): no precise placement, subdued by an evil wizard named Parindes (AC10).

* Blethinferelth (Huge? Blue): lives in the Ylari side of the Karameikan Altan Tepes, very very old (fought against the humanoids of Akkila Khan in her youth) (Son of Dawn novel).
* Bluenstrinel (Small? Blue): Daughter of Blethinferelth (Son of Dawn novel).
* Dominagon (Huge Blue): dwells in the mountains north-east of Landfall, in Norwold (M4).
* Korbundar (Large Blue): in league with Wastour and Ulslime in the Two Lakes' Valley in Norwold (CM2).
* Saffo (Large Blue): found on the Rainbow Bridge (CM7).

* Balefire (Large Red): seized the tomb of King Alevar in Alfheim (X10).
* Fagtorx (Small Red): son of Khordarg (O2).
* Fosfar (Large? Red): brother of Sulfar, found on the Rainbow Bridge (CM7).
* Histitz (Small Red): companion of Khordarg (O2).
* Incendiarious (Huge Red): dwells in Mount Firemouth at the source of the Sabre River in Norwold, and has five sons (small reds) (CM3).
* Krasniy (Small Red): no precise placement (Norwold according to some fan works), rules the town of Saffir in human guise (AC10).
* Shalkmog (Small Red): son of Khordarg (O2).
* "Old" Smokynose (Large Red): leads the trolls inside the dungeon of Kwyll (CM1).
* Sulfar (Large Red): brother of Fosfar, sent by Moorkroft to spy on the Feadiels (CM7).

* Thyralax (Huge Ruby): no precise placement, enemy of Mardius (AC10).

* Althea (Small Gold): no precise placement (AC10).
* Aurik (Large Gold): found on the Rainbow Bridge (CM7).
* Hytiliaph (Huge? Gold): the dragon companion-mount of Demetrion Karagenteropolus (DotE).
* Kevran (Large Gold): no precise placement (AC10).

* Mardius (Huge Amber): no precise placement, enemy of Thyralax (AC10).

Among the dead dragons of the past, I'd not leave out Calor (from IM2 and WotI) and Yealeletherveri (from the novel Son of Dawn).

Many more living dragons are mentioned in various fanworks. Just look at my MGAZ1, at agathokles' Lords of the Cruth Lowlands, or at Carillion's "Adventures in the Frozen North" in Threshold #2, to cite only a few.
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver »

I feel Tiamat and Bahamut belong to Greyhawk...and perhaps Blackmoor, more than Mystara. However: perhaps the Great One and Bahamut, communicate/conspire on cosmic draconic plots?

And perhaps Platinum dragons exist in Mystara (at least they do in my campaign, in the far Western Ranges of Brun, and the continent of Skothar...it's sko thar away), either as a simple metallic species, or possibly having some connection to Bahamut.

As far as fan creations...one might consider adding Asperadispexillies to that list. I believe Sturm located her lair on his map of Brun.
Last edited by julius_cleaver on Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's about as gothic as you can get with anthropomorphic beavers.

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

julius_cleaver wrote: As far as fan creations...one might consider adding Asperadispexillies to that list. I believe Strum located her lair on his map of Brun.
Did I? :D
Name doesn't ring a bell, maybe it was created by Robin Dijkema here?: http://pandius.com/tm_north_by_6inchnails-d5yfvcd.jpg

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver »

Annoying I typed Srum instead of Sturm...oh well.

No Asperdixpexillies is/was Sirloin's creation on Vaults, in his Locations of the Great Waste, which I edited and expanded. I have started writing a series of stories that might be good for Threshold, and "Asp", "Aspex", or "Aspsera" has become one of the "main characters."

It is written somewhat in the episodal style of Voyages of the Princess Ark, but of course all the stories take place in the Great Waste. Yet highlight different aspects of the Dessert in each episode, as well as moving a plot along. The series starts in the year 980 AC, and will continue until the year 1000 AC. Many of the Urduk tribes will figure into the story as well, but of course it is twenty years before the "present" so some aspects might appear different from Sirloin's "Tribes of the Great Waste."

You did however locate her lair on your map here: http://www.pandius.com/Brun_updated.png

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog

HobbitFan
Gnoll

Post by HobbitFan »

Interesting thread. I'm glad I saw it as it lead me to not only the excellent summaries above but I also tracked down Dragon #170-171.

Now, I want to use a dragon or two in my 5E Mystara game.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

julius_cleaver wrote: You did however locate her lair on your map here: http://www.pandius.com/Brun_updated.png
Ah thanks, indeed I did :D
I've tried in fact to use all the available fanon and canon material in the map so that's how it ended in it...

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver »

Sturm wrote:
julius_cleaver wrote: You did however locate her lair on your map here: http://www.pandius.com/Brun_updated.png
Ah thanks, indeed I did :D
I've tried in fact to use all the available fanon and canon material in the map so that's how it ended in it...
Ditto on trying to use all or almost all fanon and canon in our own campaigns. I think it makes it easier in the long run to get interested in everything everyone else is doing. I need to put my '89/'91-'94 map of Brun up and talk about it.

Could this possibly be something I do for the next Threshold issue Sturm, agathokles & company? I guess both Robin and Geoff did this...and I thoroughly enjoyed those submissions. It might also alleviate some of my "biggest fears", which is how to resolve my own map and material with existing fanon. I have pretty much done this with all 1000 AC canon material.

ALSO: I am curious if any of my material will be able to be added to the general fanon scope of material and maps.

The strangest thing I have noticed about everyone's material is...we ALL seem to have some kind of extensive plateau/cliff/cuesta surrounding the North Borean valley. Is there some reason we all did this? I was looking at canon maps recently, and I can't find a single one that even remotely suggests that one exists there...yet we all have one on our maps. Pretty "trippy"! :o

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

You mean the Ozungan Plateau? I think it was created by Christian Constantin in his Midlands maps.

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver »

No...I mean the "plateau" or series of "cliffs" surrounding the Northern Borean River valley/basin.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Ah yes that I think was a creation of the GazF serie, where the cliffs surrounds a huge kingdom of the Dead. I'd tone it down however and in fact in Robin's 8mph map here: http://pandius.com/tm_north_by_6inchnails-d5yfvcd.jpg the kingdom is much more prominent than in mine 24mph here: http://pandius.com/Brun_updated.png

JTrithen
Ogre

Post by JTrithen »

Zendrolion wrote:Among the dead dragons of the past, I'd not leave out Calor (from IM2 and WotI) and Yealeletherveri (from the novel Son of Dawn)....
I was surprised that Gorkalk wasn't mentioned; he was a red dragon, anywhere from slightly larger than small to large in size. He was the original dragon killed in "The Legend of Galannor" from O2, and is the ancestor of the main dragon in O2 (Khordarg). His size is not stipulated in the module. Note that his desendent -- Khordarg -- is slightly larger than a small red dragon; small reds have 10 Hit Dice, and Khordarg has 11.

And, a correction to a couple of the above listings -- Fagtorx and Shalkmog would be "young red dragons" (not "small" in size; they are smaller) -- could be called "juvenile," too, I guess; they have less hit dice than a normal "small" red dragon.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Just to add some from my 1 mile hex maps:ugeek: :lol:
Broken Lands; viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15023&start=125#p183080
Canolbarth;
Many dragons reside near Dragon tree, and all of these are relatively young. Even the lairs and occupation regularly change, so no names are given…only the color of the dragon mostly using that location.
The (unnamed ---Human Alias Drunk Bozo)Male Gold N)Dragon residing at the Tears of a Dragon Creek is very old, but he lived originally in the Dragon Plane. The Portal of the Dragon tree enabled him to come here. He did so due to a broken love decades ago and still is extremely sad and depressed. His human shape is often found in the inns of the nearby villages, where he is known as Bozo the Drunk. He is often intoxicated, but rarely truly drunk (dragons can handle way more alcohol). He is not violent, and even not interested in his draconic cycle, and treasure (he has half normal of a dragon of his age and size). But the two paintings (Elven maiden, Dragon in the woods), and a copperplated iron statuette of a rising dragon he cherishes beyond anything else.(they represent his former love, and have less monetary value than 200 gp together. Where she is, depends on the DM, and might lead to a truly draconic love story/adventure without too much bloodshed.). If these 3 items are stolen, Bozo teleports them back with a special spell, and relocates. He prefers to die without a fight if otherwise kept from them. His hoard has no interest to him.
Raspaert is a 75 year old friendly Female Small Gold Dragon who lives as an Elf in the Woods. She is well known, and more than she actually desired many elves know here true gullible self. Her lair is hidden however, and warded with many magical traps.
Snagglefang (M Black CN) Fenhold/Deep Marsh
Kordach (CE, Red Female? )Emerlas
Sind Desert/Great Pass;
Archivaarr (MoonWell Great Pass)LN Red Female
Eshtelyx (Female Bleu, N) offspring of Jaelynix same age as Astratorr
Astratorr (Male offspring Archivaarr) CG Red)
Verminthrax, Respen-ak-Tarpis, Jaelynix, listed here: http://pandius.com/dragons2.html
Names in the Draconic Real Wyrmsteeth
Fanon and also in my map http://pandius.com/tm_north_by_6inchnails-d5yfvcd.jpg
Tapis (Green)
Ipsis (red)
Thrall (Gold)
Hkrall(Red)
Great Glacier (unnamed) White old)
Incend(Brown)
Xanes( Green)
Kingspeak(Gold)
Coiger (Red?)
Vyolstagrad (Unnamed Bleu and Black)

Canon
Ravellia Black Female
Denagoth (Unnamed Black, Gold, Red)

Unnamed is that I do not know its name, it may of course already be known, but I am a bit oblivious now :o :oops:
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

All my collected works on The Piazza

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver »

Sturm wrote:Ah yes that I think was a creation of the GazF serie, where the cliffs surrounds a huge kingdom of the Dead. I'd tone it down however and in fact in Robin's 8mph map here: http://pandius.com/tm_north_by_6inchnails-d5yfvcd.jpg the kingdom is much more prominent than in mine 24mph here: http://pandius.com/Brun_updated.png
On my "original" campaign maps that I made from '89/91'-94 I place my original campaign map of Yeet just South of this feature. But it isn't so much a "cliff" as it is a cuesta. This one in the Crimean Pennisula is a perfect example:

Jayce
Hobgoblin

Post by Jayce »

The placement of the adventures in the Dragon's Den boxed set is somewhat problematic, but I believe they were intended to be placed in the Known World (most likely Karameikos?) originally. If we include these three mini-modules, we get:

* Hakra (Small Black) - from Wild Dragon Den
* Nefastus (Small Green) - from Wyrmhaven
* Anandak (Small Red) - from League of the Red Serpent

Not the most inspiring set of dragons (or modules for that matter - I think it's possibly the worst of the Thunder Rift-era supplements, which is kinda surprising, considering it was designed by Ken Rolston), but for the sake of completeness we should probably include them, even though they're only semi-canonical.

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver »

Nefastus almost sounds like a Shadowelf name...

Return to “Mystara”