The Great Pass

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

The Great Pass

Postby Robin » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:33 pm

This is part of an ongoing process.
The mapping of the Great pass through the Black Mountains between Hule and the Sind Desert in 1 mile hexes.
I use Thorfinns map of the Sind Desert, The Official map of the Great desert m, and of the Great Pass itself.

I first start to go to an 8 mile map. So far... revealed herehttp://6inchnails.deviantart.com/art/Great-Pass-8-Miles-523093481

This can be improved by more information,
but a 1 mile map is what I am working on currently.

I had to listen to not only the maps but also to the story line, and normal natural ecology.

The following is as copied from the adventures X4 and X5.
Everything in Red seemed important to me, and all of this thus changed the map of the sind Desert accordingly.
FOOTHILLS TO THE PASS:

The mountain foothills are different from the desert hills

bent and twisted pine grows on the land, and streams flow through the area, carrying water from the Black Mountains beyond.

The hills are very rugged, cut with ravines and bluffs. The ground, though covered with trees and grass, is dusty and rocky.

If players take time to hunt, they may find antelope and other small game. The air is somewhat cooler than the desert below, although the temperatures still average about 80 degrees during the daytime. To the west, the tops of the Black -Mountains rise above the horizon, their peaks often disappearing into banks of icy clouds. Even from this distance, the characters can tell the peaks are tall, jagged, and icy.

1st mark... (I call this area "The Bowl of 4 men")
Your party is travelling through a light stand of trees that grow near the base of a rocky bluff. Travel is difficult: the trees and loose shale force you to detour often. As you finally reach the top of a low ridge, you discover a large, bowl-shaped clearing on the other side. At the lower, far end are four giant-sized statues. Their features are nearly worn away, and it is difficult to tell that they are carved to represent old men. Each stands with his hands folded in front of him. Hidden behind the statues is a small cave.

2nd mark (The Evil Abbey)
Your party has been riding across the treeless plain for several days now. A light snow has fallen and the air is quite cold. Then one of your group points to something in the distance. There, outlined by the black mass of the mountains and the white snow, you see a small line of red. Another hour passes as you ride toward it, and now you can tell it is a line of roofs. Some time later, you see a group of buildings clustered on a craggy rock. Finally, close, you can see what must be the monastery. A broad staircase climbs the cliffs to a gate above.

The Evil Abbey is located very close to the shadow of the Black Mountains. By the time the characters reach the abbey, they will have passed the treeline and will be crossing alpine meadows. A large point of rock juts above the level of the surrounding area. The top of this rock has been cleared, and the abbey built upon it. It is surrounded on all sides by steep cliffs (the heights are marked on the map). A broad staircase climbs from the base of the rock to its entrance. This staircase of 999 steps is carved from the rock of the peak. Rising from the plain, it climbs to the main gate of the monastery.

The abbey was once the home of a number of Lawful monks, at the heart of a large village now long since destroyed. Long ago, the village was destroyed, burned and plundered by a band of evil raiders. Surrounded, the monks of the abbey were trapped. For nearly a year, they held out, carefully rationing their supplies, but finally, the inevitable came, and they were overrun and killed almost to a man. However, since the abbey is so far from civilization and deep in the heart of the enemy territory, no word has ever escaped concerning their fate.

THE BLACK MOUNTAINS:

This massive mountain range is among one of the highest and most dangerous mountain chains in the known lands of the campaign Its peaks are permanently ice covered, and large glaciers fill many of the high valleys. From a distance the mountains appear white and dull blue, but when viewed more closely, the blue becomes dull gray, barren rock.

Most of the mountain land is well above the treeline, even above the highest of the meadows that cover the lower slopes. Travel through the mountains is nearly impossible except at certain passes and trails: any traveller who tries to climb through the mountains will confront a lack of food, snow-covered crevasses, avalanches, cliffs, cunning monsters, freezing cold, and air so thin he cannot breathe. If the characters attempt to cross at some place other than a pass, they will die unless they turn back.

The Great Pass lies in the Black Mountains, one of the highest and most forbidding mountain chains in the known lands of the campaign. Here peaks are permanently ice-covered, and large glaciers fill many of the high valleys and saddles. From a distance the mountains appear white and dull blue, but when viewed closely, the blue becomes dull gray, barren rock. Most of the mountain land is well above the treeline, even above the highest of the alpine meadows that cover the lower slopes.

The entrance to the first tunnel of the Great Pass is in a narrow box canyon, half a mile long. The mouth of the canyon is 20 yards wide. Cliffs 300’ high rise up on either side. The canyon twists and turns at this same width for half a mile and ends in a large open area one mile across. At the far side of this bowl is a cave mouth 30 from the ground. A ramp of packed earth runs from the ground to the opening.

However, an hallucinatory terrain covers the mouth of the canyon. If the players have directions to the entrance of the Great Pass, they will reach the mouth of the canyon with no difficulty. A heavily trampled path leads up to the canyon mouth and appears to end in a blank cliff wall. If the players are searching without a map, they will eventually find this path. If the cliff wall where the trail ends is touched, it disappears, revealing the canyon mouth.

The tunnels through the Black Mountains are natural passages. The floors are irregular and cluttered with fallen stone and stalagmites. Water and ice film the walls. Puddles dot the floor. The walls and ceilings of the tunnels are also jagged and rough. The tunnels are 11 to 20 yards wide (1D10+10) and 11 to 30 yards high (1ld20+10). Players will not be able to keep an accurate track of time while in the tunnels. Fungus grows in patches throughout the tunnels, 70% of which is deadly poison. If a player eats any of the poisonous fungus, he must save vs. Poison or die.

The tunnels through the Black Mountains connect to three different valleys. These valleys are well above the treeline, but lush green carpets of alpine flowers, lichens, and mosses cling to the rugged rocks and boulders. The ground is moist with the runoff from the surrounding glaciers. The valleys are locked in by the mountain peaks. A few small creatures live in the valleys-small rodents that gather berries and plants, and falcons and hawks that prey on the rodents. Mountain goats dwell near the edges of the valleys. Any other creatures in these valleys are listed under the specific encounter for each valley

Basic ecological information;
Very High Mountains, well above Tree line, with glaciers next to a vast desert.
A lot of evaporation , if water would be available.
Heat will not be much available high in the mountains , but wind and weather will be locked almost right above the mountain chain, where most will fall down on the mountains themselves or in the west of Hule. Hence the eastern area becomes a vast desert.
Some runoff of the glaciers will create a small semi-fertile area clutched to the mountains.
Trees are there, but the wind, sand and drought has twisted them.
Alpine meadows are higher, against the rockwalls. (a new Icon I created for this...faded green with 2 minor hills)
There are 2 major structures, and a stone bowl like depression with a rock and 4 statues
Reason to go here in this area must be logical; since the village was large there must have been another boon than only a clergy and/or the tunnel.
There was spoken in some other canon source that the Blackmountains were once renowned for the find of the most beautiful diamonds.
So a diamond mine would seem logical....(abandoned however.)

The evil raiders spoken of could have had there origin in Hule or in the Great pass itself.

The tunnels are natural, thus could only have been created by a few causes. (erodation through water (former glaciers) in the three valleys, or by the mentioned availability of Purple worms. The problem lies here that even purple worms dig (eat) only through packed earth or weaker consistency and NOT through stone. Hence I see only water as the most logical cause,since the black map of X4 reveals puddles and ice within.

I will add an underground version to show this clearer.. The water could have went further down, or out of the mountain, and later evaporated in the area.

If either of you has some additional information?
Please inform me.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Re: The Great Pass

Postby Hugin » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:41 pm

Excellent job of incorporating everything! Thumbs up!!!
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Robin » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:03 pm

Thanx
As a former teacher (biology/physics/chemistry/ecology bound in one set) I seem to have a tendency to bind what I see.
Bruce Heard once called me the Fletcher for binding different stories and sources together.

The hard work now is for the 1 mile hex map.
So any input is welcome.

Hope that it is liked sofar.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby micky » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:57 am

man that is a beautiful map. Looking great so far!
He does not have a mandate. He does not have large congressional majorities. If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump
micky
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:00 pm

:D thanx...
I feel like you with your Glantri work...
Give me input,...
I need input...
more information...
:twisted:
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:33 pm

Digging further and deeper...http://i62.tinypic.com/egetls.jpg
I need some other opinions on some of these troublesome sources, please...

Directly from the X5 descripitions;
The entrance to the first tunnel of the Great Pass is in a narrow box canyon, half a mile long. The mouth of the canyon is 20 yards wide. Cliffs 300’ high rise up on either side. The canyon twists and turns at this same width for half a mile and ends in a large open area one mile across. At the far side of this bowl is a cave mouth 30 from the ground. A ramp of packed earth runs from the ground to the opening.
However, an hallucinatory terrain covers the mouth of the canyon. If the players have directions to the entrance of the Great Pass, they will reach the mouth of the canyon with no difficulty. A heavily trampled path leads up to the canyon mouth and appears to end in a blank cliff wall. If the players are searching without a map, they will eventually find this path. If the cliff wall where the trail ends is touched, it disappears, revealing the canyon mouth.

These first two parts seem contradictionary in their description and the given map.
A narrow box canyon...20 yards wide...ending in an large open area one mile across. While the map reveals a 2 mile wide and deep canyon becoming smaller. First then there is the cave opening. The Canyon's mouth is covered by a Hallucinatorial Terrain.

Area 1; As you cross the open area, heading towards the cave mouth, you see wisps of what might be steam drifting from the opening. Finally, 30 away, you hear a great rumbling noise and a large cloud of steam billows out of the cave.

Fake dragon and some fighters beyond the hallucinatorial terrain. Thus also some encampment for these creatures must be nearby.

Area 2; This valley is cloudy, cold, and damp. The upper slopes of the mountains are hidden behind a thick bank of foggy clouds. The snow or frost that settles on the ground every night melts away during the day. The floor of the valley is marred by large areas of ripped soil. There appears to be no pattern to the placement of these, but the damage usually takes the form of two to six long furrows, roughly parallel to each other. The furrows extend for 50’ to loo’ and end in areas pitted with many holes l‘wide and 3’ deep. The ground around these holes is torn up and gouged. Some of the markings appear to be quite old, while others are recent.

This is from a roc (apparently searching for large creatures in the ground...wurms??).

Near the center of the valley is a small camp. Living in four small sod and cloth lean-tos are 10 gnomes armed with short swords and crossbows. Several hundred gnomes escaped from the Kingdom of Death (Hule) many years ago. However, in doing so, they came under the Master’s curse (see Great Pass Encounter 6) and have never been able to find their way out of the pass. During this time, their numbers have grown steadily less, and now only this small band is left.

At the peak of this commotion, a huge object, the body of a mammoth, tumbles from the sky.

The tracks, the sounds, the wind, and the fall of the mammoth were all caused by a roc. It lives above the
clouds that always cover this valley. When the characters search the valley after the encounter with the mammoth body, they find a huge group of skeletons along one of the cliff bases. These are the bones of the roc’s dinners and include those of mammoth, lesser sea serpents, and other large creatures.

I Would thus place the Gnome camp approximately at the number 2, and the Rocs refuse at the forked southern part.
One problem does arise however. A roc has a action radius of about 1 day (without sleep 16 hours) flying from its lair, as all predatory birds seem to have. with a flying movement of 480' / 10 seconds (1 round) = 48ft/s= 32.72727mph, 32.7 x 16=523 miles roughly. That means that Roc flies to the (not so nearby (25 x 24 mile hexes= 600 miles) sea in a day, hunts there for a few hours at most and returns the long distance with its catch (lesser sea serpents) a day later... this is illogical. The same applies to Mammoths. Both these catches must have a living area within 300 miles for the Roc to function at best.(Fly, hunt and return within his normal bilogical timescale).
This means that there must be a nearby plain/forest where mammoth/mastodonts live. And this can't be on the desert side of the Black Mountains (the air is too dry, hot and bothersome for these creatures to function.
The Serpents must also have a more nearby location (maybe the Bay of Hule).

any ideas?

Area 5 The Plain of Horses
This end of the valley is a broad plain, very level and free of stones. The grass appears to have been neatly cropped so that it is no longer than 2” in any place. Small brooks criss-cross the valley. Their banks are very soft and marshy. No trees, buildings, or other cover are in sight. Living at this end of the valley is a tribe of 30 centaurs. They are fierce enemies of the geonids living in the tunnels, but they do not care about the Master or his followers, as long as they are left to themselves. In the past the centaurs have even served the Master in return for good pay and the privilege of being left alone.

These creatures must have been brought/ordered here by the Master(as they are not opposing him according to the description). this area must harbor enough grains/grass and other centaur food to enable these large creatures living enclosed in this area. Thus, the area most logically will harbor some trees, and further grass (and not alpine meadows, which give way to little food for such a group accoding to the area.

6. The Valley of the Cyclops
This area extends off what appears to be the main valley. It is a tumble of fallen cliffs, loose boulders, rockslides, and fault lines. The ground is very rocky and few plants grow here, except along the banks of the streams that trickle down into the main valley. The valley shows no signs of life

If a player under the curse of the cyclops attempts to leave the Great Pass, he finds it is impossible until the curse is lifted. If while under the curse, the player nears an exit, he always makes the wrong turn or goes the other way.
This means that the tunnels must have more junctions than the few the very simple tunnels currently have on the map. Or that the character will simply not being able to see the exit, or be totally afraid of it. A bit more logical. Hence as the PC is unaware of the real exit there must be a reason within the curse itself to affect him, otherwise other unaffected persons will easily find the exit, and bring him along.
Also there must be foodsources (goats/sheep---as mostly with cyclops) and hence area good for these creatures nearby. I say meadows are good with some grass.

7. The Well of the Moon
The cliffs in this narrow valley are carved with huge faces of strange beings. These carvings are about loo’ tall. They are very old, quite scarred and weather-beaten. Scattered about the floor of the valley are bones. Some of these are the bones of animals, but others are the bones of humans, dwarves, and elves.
The Well of the Moon is located in a large cave at the far end of the valley. Players exploring that end of the valley may find the cave easily. However, living in the cave is an old red dragon who guards the well.
The Well is clearly a magical item, but as it can't be transported the clever dragon erected its lair here, thus enabling itself from the magical benefit within his draconic circle rituals.

8. The Choice
This valley narrows slowly. In the distance many white objects lie scattered against a field of yellow-green flowers. These objects appear to be rocks. A closer look shows that the white objects are statues. Finally, an even closer look reveals that the statues are of men and creatures. They are cast in amazingly fine detail and in lifelike poses. Some bear expressions of pain, some joy, others are twisted in fear, and others calm. Behind the statues are two cave mouths. One entrance is carved in the likeness of a great sea creature’s gaping mouth. The other is framed with beckoning hands. No sound or smell comes from either entrance.

There are 2 medusae here (master friends most probably)

9. The Great Exit
The tunnel slopes down, slowly at first, and then becomes steeper and steeper. Soon a small point of daylight appears. The lines of a barred gate blocking the exit come into view. A cloudgiant lives nearby as guard (friend to master).

I would assume a small castle for the giant would be nearby.

Please your opinions...and ideas...;)
Should I encompass the bone fields, and then how?
Space is limited. I use 1 mile hexes.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:53 pm

The following things did happen in the recent decades;
The Master passed through the Great Pass with a large army (consisting af humanoids, giants, undead (like spectres) and other creatures according X10 named the Legion of Doom).
The passing of such a large army has several consequences to the map.
The group will use the fastest and most easy route through the tunnels and valleys of ther Great Pass.
They will alone due their passing through the area alter it. The trail will become very clear, no need to wander through the corridors. This is due the many feet and wheels passing by. The few alterations they need to make to the tunnels to enable warmachines passing through. The excavation of these materials will also change the area, as it is dumped near any tunnel exit (no need to bring it further away).
The ramp the Master had created on the desert side changed the route of the water in the tunnels. It nomore flows out into the meadows to wards the few river/creek beds, but instead is forced to flow more down the other corridors.
The geological history of the area; The Black Mountains have several high placed valleys where snow accumulated over the centuries, turning it into ice and thus glaciers....but.... the warmth of the sun (especially in summer) will affect these areas to recurring thaw in summer, and frost in winter. This will cause water to flow underneath the ice (water is heavier than ice), lifting the icesheet somewhat up, enabling it too move slightly, and thus enabling more thaw and more water. This whole process will be strengthened by the water seeping into small nooks and crevices, freezing later in winter, thus by frost they break these crevices open due to expansion
All these symptoms will cause the water to dig deeper and deeper into the ground until it willl find a way to move more freely. And it did...this is how the valleys, corridors and tunnels of the Great Pass came to be. The whole glaciers eroded away through these tunnels, flowing out of the mountains in northwestern and southeasterndirection (andsome further down). And still in the summer more water will flow through these corridors than in winter. As by the barrier erected by the Master's forces blocking water from going south east the water uses the deeper tunnels, opening a whole new world of caves.

This same process is also happening further south at the area I called the Snow Plains. Here new valleys will come to be in a few decades, and with that new tunnels, new caves, new corridors and new rivers and creeks.

The undergound part of the basic area of the Great Pass map will thus be influenced and as thus more tunnels and larger caves will be included. As based upon the original maps, I will use my free running imagination to these caves.

The master will have surely placed more defensive structures near the Great Pass on the Hulean side, and most surely, the returning humanoids after the war will have taken residence in the local area on either side... there are caves enough , and almost no competition in food resources.
But also the wardings (medusae, cyclopses, Cloud Giant, Gate, Fake Dragon, Hallucinatorial Terrain, etc) will become obsolete. The Cloud Giant will or move away, or remain in its castle minding its own business, the cyclopses could remain, the centaurs will most probably move out of the restricted valley to the meadows in the east, the medusae will most likely be slain as several others. The Geonids will have moved elsewhere in the valleys (most logically where the Gnomes also live) or deeper underground. The gnomes will or move away, or move deeper underground, or will be slain.enslaved by the Master's forces.

All this must be somehow included in the map.
Ohmy...what did I do...where did I get my mind stuck into...;S
Last edited by Robin on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Sturm » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:15 pm

Interesting map!
Not really an expert on the area, so I don't think I could offer much help, but my 2 cents:
The Mountains should have been in the past before the GroF part of the Oltec empire, so maybe you could throw in some oltec ruins, if you want to.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Robin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:29 pm

Sturm wrote:Interesting map!
Not really an expert on the area, so I don't think I could offer much help, but my 2 cents:
The Mountains should have been in the past before the GroF part of the Oltec empire, so maybe you could throw in some oltec ruins, if you want to.

Thanx

That does also explain the old Abbey and accompanying village (now Evil Abbey and village ruins).

This means the Old Abbey becomes much much more interesting... a ruined, reused/adapted old Oltec memory of 4000 years or so ago.
Last edited by Robin on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:52 pm

The Bowl of 4 men...
Thus is an interresting area too
A Bowl, with in the middle a rocky structure, with caves. With 4 statues of men erected infront of it.

The text tells of distorted landscape and twisted trees around it. So I imagine this is a small ancient meteor impact.
I imagine the following;
The Diameter of the crater is about 6 to 8 miles with a rim of 1 mile broken land, and a central rocky (porous rock) area.
Later the Oltecs (thanx again Sturm ;) ) discovered this area and erected the statues for some (semi-)religious meaning.
The impact could well be before the GroF or even a side effect....parts of Blackmoor exploded into the air, power enough to melt stone and twist the planet's axis, would also surely throw away matter. Maybe...and this is a teaser.... inside the molten stone and metal core, there will be obscure remnants of the past...;)
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby micky » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:05 pm

Not really an expert on the area, so I don't think I could offer much help

same here, but don't take the silence Robin for lack of interest. :D
He does not have a mandate. He does not have large congressional majorities. If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump
micky
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:32 pm

micky wrote:

I know, yet I need some input... some reaction and advice from the text given.... to go further on the map and fill in the gaps.
Sturm have a very good lead...but I need more..;)
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby micky » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:34 pm

Robin wrote:
micky wrote:

I know, yet I need some input... some reaction and advice from the text given.... to go further on the map and fill in the gaps.
Sturm have a very good lead...but I need more..;)

:D I know.

I am the Dean of talking and conversating with himself in a thread hahaha. I can relate and I'll see what I can do to help. I really don't know the area but if I can help I certainly will.. or at least give input as I see it. I might be very shy in real life, but the internet (like booze) does bring out my more gregarious nature. At least on the internet you are spared me dancing on pooltables and running naked in the streets. :lol:
micky
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:04 am

talking to yourselves has been recently been proven of high intellengence and an active mind.

any help will do

shy?... hmm sometimes, but I have danced on more than pool tables, and not only dressed, and best of all... I got paid for it ;)

back to the map.... or at least as far as I succeeded to make it.

http://sta.sh/01o8o558r9qc
this is as far as I have created it, from all sourced materials mentioned above
It is still far from finished
the underground part I have to begin at, and the main map fill up, with missing details etc.

so keep spilling those ideas as according these (or any missing) sources imply... As Sturm's idea imposed me to fill in some very old ruins.

this also counts for other readers... I need INPUT.... ;) :shock:
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby micky » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:07 am

that is impressive! I love the overall presentation of that.
micky
Cloud Giant

Postby mister c » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:21 am

This is excellent, and really useful to me as my PCs are in the region at the moment.
thanks for all the hard work.
mister c
Ogre

Postby Robin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:11 am

Thanx... but it is not ready yet... ;(
I still have to finish the underground section, and place some more details...

i'll post a new link when ready..;)
then it will also have some additional text ...based on above sources
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Sturm » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:22 am

Great work.
In a very early draft of possible Oltec cities I made some time ago, I intended to place a quite big Oltec city near the area where you have the village of Kiljian.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Robin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:19 pm

I've come to this; (with the use of some nice pictures)

During the Oltec Empire several Cities, Towns and Villages did exist in the region.
The Demise of the Empire caused these to become abandoned or reused by other cultures.
http://whygo-amr.s3.amazonaws.com/www.mexicologue.com/files/2009/07/teotihuacan1.jpg
With the Great Rain of Fire a large block of Blackmoor stone and molten metal reentered the atmosphere and landed nearby.
http://www.wynn.org/EmptyQuarter/SaudiMeteor17e.jpg
The impact caused a dust cloud equal to a an explosive cloud effect but than hundreds of miles diameter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MtRedoubtedit1.jpg
This killed off the last survivors of the area.
Slowly nature retook the settlements, erodation by sand (especially) rain and wind caused most but the larger structures to become nothing more than regular rows of stones. Or completely covered (and thus proteted) by sand, later to be overgrown by alpine meadows and even barren twisted trees.
http://imagebank.biz/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/24041.jpg
This lasted for 4000 years, almost nothing remained.
http://wall.alphacoders.com/big.php?i=258441
The area was almost forgotten and still very unhospitable.
http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~pamlogan/silkroad/
Several larger creatures had taken residence (Roc, Dragon, and to this day these are the main predators here).
About 1700 years ago , during the great Elemental upheaval, many earthquakes hit the region. Several cracks appeared wiithin the Black Mountains. The summer melt water seeped in and froze in winter, expanding the rocks. With each year the water crawled deeper and further into the mountain.
in the Year 355 BC, a large mudflow came from the mountains, spewing forth from the Eastern side, covering huge areas of several miles wide and far. 15 years later the same happened on the side of Hule. The Great Pass was born.
http://www.iamchrisbrewer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/140526_truman-hike-23.jpg
When only a few hundred years after the crowning of the first Thyatian Emperor diamonds were found by some wanderers (including a group of Gnomes) from the south of the Blackmountain range, the hastily took up residence. Whith dwarven and gnome help, there was a new village erected upon the large rectangular structures remaining... Kiljian.
Several weird items were found, of the Old Oltec times.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-iD27fNv47j0/U_WeNboi0iI/AAAAAAAAElE/F_kHafBGkUI/s1600/11.jpg
With strange magical effects and even some undead.
This caused the populace to bring their religious culture into the fray.
And established a defensible outpost on the mountainspur of Mount Two Fangs.
The great Abbey was created with the stones found under Kiljian
http://secondglobe.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Rocky-Monasteries-of-Meteora-in-Greece-5.jpg
The abbey was thus the home of a number of Lawful monks, at the heart of the large village.
About 855AC, Explorers from Hule succeeeded in passing through the Great Pass. This is actually the first proven date that the pass is known since it came to be in 355BC.
Defensive measures were taken in fear of an unknown culture attacking from the sand. Raiders were sent out to explore and kill any opposition.
927 AC The village Kiljian was discovered, regularly attacked, burned, plundered and finally destroyed by a band of evil Hulean raiders. Surrounded, the monks of the abbey were trapped. For nearly a year, they held out, carefully rationing their supplies, but finally, the inevitable came, and they were overrun and killed almost to a man. However, since the abbey is so far from civilization and deep in the heart of the enemy territory, no word has ever escaped concerning their fate.
930-990AC The Whole area was ransacked of all valuables, but the diamond mine was never found.
The region became empty again. Only disturbed by the summer waterflows from the Pass.
This lasted until several decades ago when some Bhut entered the area, as offensive force from Hule, and settled within the still whole abbey, and took up residence there, as a ward from intrusion in hule.
990 AC some merchants (Darokinian) discover the Great Pass and intend to set up a commercial route. Hule is shocked that that nation dares to wander so far from home to do commerce... their must be great wealth.... and envy is born. None of the merchants survive their discovery.
1000AC The Master set up his own investigations and forces as a prelude to his intended goal; The conquering of Darokin. The Great Pass is explored, a great ramp is erected to enable easier exit from the Great Pass (it was then about 20'above ground level, with a muddy stream running through at summer) and defenses in the form of monsters and Hallucinatorial Terrain were placed. The water took another route, further and deeper into the mountains.
Later some rogue adventurers hinder him greatly, and finally rediscover the Great Pass. (Adventures X4 and X50
Bypassing all hinders they even succeed in enteering Hule and defeating one of the Master's physical forms.
Enfuriated he sets up more forces to destroy Darokin.. the source of his envy and anger.
1004-1009 The War of the Desert Nomads (Adventure X10 and Wrath of the Immortals)
1010 AC Now. The Master forced back into Hule. Three battles it took to convince him from not coming through the pass again.. not that he lost these battles, he lost way too many men in them, to recuperate.
He stationed some defences again. The Bhuts still occupy the Castle. The Cyclopses have taken over the whole eastern valley (No Medusae or Centaurs). The Centaurs have taken up residence in the eastern meadows. The Gnomes still occupy their valley, barred from leaving exept in winter when the tunnels are dry.
The Geonids went further down and discovered where the water went.
The Fungal creatures found new and much larger caves connected to their own..., and Myconids... a Fungal Culture.
Last edited by Robin on Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:53 pm

Sturm wrote:Great work.
In a very early draft of possible Oltec cities I made some time ago, I intended to place a quite big Oltec city near the area where you have the village of Kiljian.

This means Sturm... that your big Oltec City is buried Underneath destroyed Kijian, largely eroded, plundered, ransacked, and mainly a ruin under a destroyed city.....but with great adventure and exploring capabilities for a good DM.

Thanx for the Ideas.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:54 pm

Currently working on the underground parts of the Pass.

Here is the map sofar...

http://sta.sh/02cr25ax861w

I added several larger caves and more tunneld.
I also implored the fact how the water would flow and where it would end.

The Cave of Tears is a very instable cave, just coming into existence. stones erode away due water seeping through. It is actually continuously dripping everywhere. The ground is fallen stone or mud where water comes together. The Valley of Death and most of the Northern water ends p here. Only 30% flows out into Hule. There is a strain of magical crystals, but they are only a few inches in size...like a moss carpet.

The Cave of Moss, is fully covered by moss. They feed upon the light of bright bioluminescent funghi on the wet ceiling. Cave crickets reside here and other small vermin.

Swamplake Nova is where most water ends. Through the tunnels most summer water comes together here. Some of the flow from Paradise Cave comes here also and with it spores from funghi. A funghal swamp came to be. The fact that the lake reduces to 50% in winter is not good for the larger funghi, so they will grow here only in summer, then die out in winter, becomming food for the insects and other funghi.

Paradise Cave is an immense large cave filled with funghi of all kind, growing in a jungle or forest form. Much bigger than the Area known as First Fungus (which is still as in module X4). A large steam well expulges a continuous flow of fog through the cave, reducing sight to no more than a 30 or so yards. The fog clings to the walls and drips down, bringing with them many nutrients from the rocks. All thois makes this cave a very fertile haven for funghi and several insects. (including large)

Maze of Webbed Doom is a large tunnel system completely occupied with spiders of all sizes feeding of the insects that desire the scent of fresh flowing water (instead of the steam water in Paradise cavern.

The names of the valleys and underground caves are derived from the Gnomes exploring the area.
They have also succeeded to find a strange vein of a light grey metal ore in one of the nearby dead-end tunnels.
Thee Gnomes metallurgist knows how to refine it and make it into a lightweight metal (at 20% weight steel). The metal is however too weak to function as armor or weapons, but for construction, transport, and similar, it is perfect... very usable for inventive Gnomes...;)
They call it "Feathersteel"

Yes it is Aluminium...;)
I see lightweight peddle machines and such

Let me know what you think about it...
Last edited by Robin on Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Sturm » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:30 am

Great details and great idea about aluminium :) I can see gnomes doing a lot of things with it...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Robin » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:28 pm

Sturm wrote:Great details and great idea about aluminium :) I can see gnomes doing a lot of things with it...

Walking bridges, or other sentinel like constructs
lightweight flying machines (lighter weight=less tonnage= greater speeds and/or higher altitudes with the same magic sourced energies. Or they need less powerful magic to achieve the same as with normal steel.
Space the final frontier...
New additions to serraine. or restorations to older (blackmoor) parts

One strange thing comes to mind; The froggacopter. springloaded back legs jump the copter forward while rotors on the top maintain it a while in the air. Jumps up to 600' forward or 120' up in a single leap, due the combination of these. springs need only 2 rounds of tightening for another jump. Springs in all legs secure a safe impact... And suckers even enable holding on rockswalls (of 80 degrees or less)....motion sickness guaranteered..;)

Thanx Sturm
As insecure as I am (in my creations), I need positive input, to cointinue.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Sturm » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:03 pm

No need to be insecure really, your creations are always interesting.
Indeed you make me think I'd make some changes to canon and have many many gnomes came to the Great Pass and occupying it, probably with the aid of superior technology and some lost oltec magic.
Some oltec survivors could be around too.. The gnomes could find allies among geonids, centaurs and others.. (also a summary of the races appearing in X4-5 would be useful...) I'd also add Goatmen of Kavaja (http://pandius.com/goatmen.html, http://bruce-heard.blogspot.it/2012/05/ ... avaja.html) as they definitely live in the Black Mountains...
Powerful gnomish nation controlling a strategic pass..
Yes, I think I'll do it :)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby maddog » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:17 pm

I really hope you put this all together as "The Gazetteer of the Great Pass." I know I would use it.
--Ray.
---
Hey! I just became a stone giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.
maddog
Frost Giant

Next

Return to Mystara