The Great Pass

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Re: The Great Pass

Postby julius_cleaver » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:43 pm

I am going to be swamped with THreshold Issue 10 Robin...but I haven't forgotten about this.

I am also drawing up some background and stuff for Pasha Kemel Akana. He is the "commander" of/at the Master's Fist. I would first like to get ahold of Sirloin if possible, as he is the one that originally created him. But if I don't here back by the beginning of next year, I am going to go ahead and finish his character.

I also have ALOT of material about the Urduk. Which is going to be a major part of Issue 14 Sindh and the Great Waste!

It should be noted...that in the real world, Urduk is not a race, but a language spoken by many different ethnic groups, mostly from South Central Asia.

Sirlion came up with about fifteen or sixteen Urduk tribes, which I have begun expanding on, as well as adding ten or twelve tribes of my own.
Here is the link of his original article: http://pandius.com/gwtribe.html

As far as tribes close to The Great Pass, the Menket are most notable. Though where I have placed the Jaculi and Dar, they also might be frequent itinerants to the area.

Lastly, I have a second Locations of the Great Waste I am working on. Sirloin's Forlorn Mounts, from whence the Indigo Tagelmusted Warriors of the Waste sally forth, is included among the locations.

Other important locations are Hallifast Guelta, The Stone Whale, and Djinn Sea/Guelta...which is also called La Jarra Guelta...are also included, and most or all are important features in my series, which is appropriately called "Tales from the Waste".

The first episode is titled "Tea in the Sindhian with Asperadispexillies", which should give obvious indication as to what character from "Locations of the Great Waste" makes an appearance.

Of course the title is a homage/play on words to The Police's song "Tea in the Sahara".
Last edited by julius_cleaver on Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's about as gothic as you can get with anthropomorphic beavers.

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog
julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Postby Robin » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:52 pm

Very interesting, even if your area of work presented here seems to be to far away to be of great influence, many i could use or link to.

The Menket could be migrating seasonally as the Stone Giants do But as the stone giants follow the mountains, the menket could follow the forested hills instead.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby julius_cleaver » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:55 pm

Well, IMC at least, there aren't too many "forested hills" on the East side of the Blacks, as they lie in the rain shadow. Only the foothills, the closest 6miles/9km of the hills next to the Blacks, receive enough moisture to support forest!

And yes...all of the Urduk tribes migrate, and I have the usual or supposed areas they frequent on my Great Waste map. I will put them up, along with the locations Carillion wanted to add, at some point!!
Last edited by julius_cleaver on Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog
julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Postby Robin » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:46 pm

i am getting curiuous
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Sirloin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:21 pm

Hi julius, I'll see if I can dig out my notes for the Great Waste stuff. I did have some more stuff detailed, and stat blocks for a few of the characters mentioned. I'll get back to you once I get a chance to dig through it all.
Sirloin
Orc

Postby julius_cleaver » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:21 pm

HOLY GOOD GOD!!!

AWESOME!!!

Sirloin I have been wanting to hear from you forever...and even emailed you. Did you ever get it? I would love to talk about Urduk tribes with you as well.

Did you see my edit of your Great Waste locations? I especially want to talk about Asp and some other stuff...including The Empty Throne!

ALSO: Did you ever find your Davania notes, in addition to your Great Waste ones?

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Postby Sirloin » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:35 pm

I don't think I got an email, might have missed it though. I read through your edits last night and it looks great, really happy that someone has got good use out of it all! I've got other notes I think if I can find them, I moved house very soon after posting up the tribe information, but the stuff should still all be together. I'm back there at the weekend so I'll have a look, I did have more stuff about more northerly tribes/the Black Mountains that I got halfway through typing up before I had to put it aside.

And regarding the Davania stuff, it should all be together. I used part of them not too long ago for another campaign so I know where they are. It's interesting, I get very influenced by what I am reading at the time when I do campaign notes, a lot of the Urduk stuff came out of Central Asian influences from some of Peter Hopkirk's books on the Great Game in the 19th Century. The Davanian stuff was more around the Successor Wars after Alexander died, but geared to the break up of the Milenian Empire instead. Was coming back to the Great Waste stuff as I've been reading a lot about the history of the Caucasus and popped in here to see if there were any new threads up on it :)
Sirloin
Orc

Postby Carillion » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:58 pm

I promise I will get my Great Waste maps and floor plans of Master's Fist/Şeytan pençesi and Kapycöl Kale up by this coming Sunday Robin and Carillion.

Hello JC,

I think myself and Robin have now managed to tie up our maps, but I don't want to submit mine to the Vaults of Pandius until I've seen yours, in case I miss something important out. Obviously, I appreciate you're busy at the moment with the Threshold Magazine, but once that's all done, it would be great if you can post your Great Waste maps here when they're completed.

Regards,

Carillion
Carillion
Ogre

Postby julius_cleaver » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:24 pm

On the top of my list of things to do after the magazine...and I haven't forgotten Carillion. I really like the quality of your maps and want to give to locations as soon as possible.

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Postby Carillion » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:39 pm

On the top of my list of things to do after the magazine.

Excellent - thanks for letting me know!

There's no particular urgency on this one, as I'm working on a couple of other projects myself at the moment. Therefore, if you come back to me on this after the Threshold magazine has been completed, then that would be fine.

Oh, and Kudos for agreeing to do the editing for the Threshold magazine in the first place, as I know that it must be a lot of work. Still, the hard work required does show itself, as each issue is always an excellent read.

Regards

Carillion
Carillion
Ogre

Postby julius_cleaver » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:56 am

Sirloin wrote:I don't think I got an email, might have missed it though. I read through your edits last night and it looks great, really happy that someone has got good use out of it all! I've got other notes I think if I can find them, I moved house very soon after posting up the tribe information, but the stuff should still all be together. I'm back there at the weekend so I'll have a look, I did have more stuff about more northerly tribes/the Black Mountains that I got halfway through typing up before I had to put it aside.

And regarding the Davania stuff, it should all be together. I used part of them not too long ago for another campaign so I know where they are. It's interesting, I get very influenced by what I am reading at the time when I do campaign notes, a lot of the Urduk stuff came out of Central Asian influences from some of Peter Hopkirk's books on the Great Game in the 19th Century. The Davanian stuff was more around the Successor Wars after Alexander died, but geared to the break up of the Milenian Empire instead. Was coming back to the Great Waste stuff as I've been reading a lot about the history of the Caucasus and popped in here to see if there were any new threads up on it :)

Then you are probably quite aware that in our own world Urdu is a language...and not a people!! :mrgreen:

Also thanks Robin, Carillion and Sirloin for the mutual enthusiasm concerning Great Waste stuff. The "guys" of Threshold have really upped my enthusiasm for joint projects, as well as really getting interested in what everyone else's ideas are...even if they don't always jive!

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Postby Robin » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:43 pm

The Map of the village (future town ) of Illishian have been expanded.
Now hoping that Argent mantle can make it as nice as before.
This one is for the 1000AC newborn village on the ruins
http://sta.sh/0141zkiveoq0
The Yellow squares are farms,
Red lines(or dark green in the digital part) are paved roads
Green dots are Pine trees
The green dotted squares are orchards
The green lined area is a vinyard
Grey is Rocks
Red squares are new structures (farms etc)
The pink rectangle is a watermill for energy and sawing
Grey lines are trails
The Grey areas with lines (right above) is a cliff, or hill top (below) The shorter perpendicular lines are the bottom, the thick line on the cliff is the top)

The Town version (1020AC) will expand from this one, with new structures upon the Ruins and more new stuff.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:08 pm

Hi
I've found the works of Cristopher West on Pininterest, And thought this must be shared with real fans
So here enjoy..
At least I absolutely admire his work.
Secretly desiring a map made by him of the Future steampunk-like city of Kiljian :oops:
https://www.pinterest.com/themapmaker/cartography-by-christopher-west/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby stanles » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:48 pm

Carillion wrote:
I promise I will get my Great Waste maps and floor plans of Master's Fist/Şeytan pençesi and Kapycöl Kale up by this coming Sunday Robin and Carillion.

Hello JC,

I think myself and Robin have now managed to tie up our maps, but I don't want to submit mine to the Vaults of Pandius until I've seen yours, in case I miss something important out. Obviously, I appreciate you're busy at the moment with the Threshold Magazine, but once that's all done, it would be great if you can post your Great Waste maps here when they're completed.

Regards,

Carillion

cool, I won't pull anything out from this thread until it's done
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com
stanles
Troll

Postby Robin » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:21 pm

Slowly I try to regain my normal self
and as thus I try to continue with this project
@Argent mantle; Would you please inform me how far you are with the maps?
@ Carillion; Are there things we need to discuss anyfurther in line with the maps?.
I've been out of it a while, so I need a kick in da butt to know where i was.

@ others; If you have any ideas, advice in particular to the pilitical system as given thus far please inform me
You can also create the statistics of the political character if you want to, and bring them in...maybe i alter them a bit, but I intend to continue with this project and finish it.(though this will take some...ahem...work------so any help is welcome.)

These subjects need to be finished

3 map of the ruined city of Kiljian (The Ruins Kiljian was erected upon
http://i.livescience.com/images/i/000/0 ... 1360161752) Here I may need some help..As I have NO mapping skills/tools to create villages, .
It is important that the Old Oltec Ruins and the Newer Ruins are intermingled or erected upon eachother. So Kiljian will be roughly the same shape as its predecessor did. sea picture
And a map of the village restored when the Gnomes takeover dated 1020AC.

5 Description of the bandits (any ideas?) They have 4 encampments named by their Usage. Pass (near the Great Pass), Sword (this is the area for Melee attacks), Bow (this is the area where distant attacks are made), and Spy (where approaching ïntruders" to the pass are spied upon. Also a source of espionage of the Gnomes activities.
I would assume they are still allied somewhat with the Master, but due circumstances have to rely much more upon themselves. Maybe they use the Seytan Pencesi/Kapycol Kane transport structure in some way.

7 commercial and nation statistics of the new gnomish republic of Dulbagir (This name not only sounds good, feels good but has a ring to it, so I've chosen to keep it.).
So far we have two main groups; Gnomes in the Pass, with Cyclops, Myconids and Geonids, and the second group Gnomes, Centaurs, Stone Giants, some Humans and Dwarves, aligned are Cloud Giants, and the Hsiao, and in the future the Bel-El-Witznay and a tribe of Kobolds.will align themselves with the Republic (without losing too much of their own identity.).

8 some more information about the to-be rulers of this new nation (can someone help with this...i'm deadlocked here... :oops: :(
I mean the names, race, stats, function of all important members of the Ruling council.
Let your fantasy run wild (not too wild ;) ) and lets make it a vibrant community.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Carillion » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:46 pm

Slowly I try to regain my normal self
and as thus I try to continue with this project
@Argent mantle; Would you please inform me how far you are with the maps?
@ Carillion; Are there things we need to discuss anyfurther in line with the maps?.
I've been out of it a while, so I need a kick in da butt to know where i was.

Hello Robin,

I'm sorry to read that you've been having a hard time lately. Hopefully things will start to get better soon.

Anyway, here's some good news - our maps now line up! Here's the latest version, which also ties up with Thorf's recent mapping project:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1WEBq ... NybVE/view

If you recall, I've made amendments to reflect both your map of the Great Pass as well as to reflect your recent Threshold article called the "Grouzhina Flood".

As far as I'm aware, Julius Cleaver hasn't got around to posting his map yet, so there's nothing further for us to action with regards to tying up the maps of this area at this point in time.

Regards,

Carillion
Carillion
Ogre

Postby Robin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:03 pm

Carillion wrote:Hello Robin,

I'm sorry to read that you've been having a hard time lately. Hopefully things will start to get better soon.

Anyway, here's some good news - our maps now line up! Here's the latest version, which also ties up with Thorf's recent mapping project:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1WEBq ... NybVE/view

If you recall, I've made amendments to reflect both your map of the Great Pass as well as to reflect your recent Threshold article called the "Grouzhina Flood".

As far as I'm aware, Julius Cleaver hasn't got around to posting his map yet, so there's nothing further for us to action with regards to tying up the maps of this area at this point in time.

Regards,

Carillion

Thanx Carillion. RL is often too hard and sometimes causes severe depression...however, I seem to be somewhat resilient, and that is for a great part because the input I get on my work from all of you D&D/Mystara fans. It reinstates some personal value. So I continue doing that. It also draws me away from bad thoughts.. So best for me and all fans.

The map is awesome :o :lol: . Thorfinn quality again. :ugeek: (I still cut&paste gazillion times on Paint :o :? )
All fits together like a glove.

As for Julius, since Threshold 10 proofreaders deadline, I've heard NOTHING of him. I know that he mentioned going to South America, and there were some personal issues, but he did not make his word sending the maps of the Great Pass, or the Kapycol Kane castle maps. I really don't know when and if we ever hear from him again..pity though :( he had some nice input.

As thus I agree in you that the main map is ready. I intend to use it as a base later for an 8 mile map of the Gnoll region (and underground) and a 8 (or maybe even 1 mile) map of the area around lake Hast.

And if you like I'd like to place your map in the Great Pass Gazzeteer.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Carillion » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:43 pm

Hello Robin

I look forward to reading your Great Pass Gazetteer when its completed. I'm sure it will be a very interesting read!

As for Julius, since Threshold 10 proofreaders deadline, I've heard NOTHING of him. I know that he mentioned going to South America, and there were some personal issues, but he did not make his word sending the maps of the Great Pass, or the Kapycol Kane castle maps. I really don't know when and if we ever hear from him again..pity though :( he had some nice input.

Don't worry, I'm sure he will come back to the Piazza at some point. Given the amount of work he would have had to put into being the chief editor of the Threshold Magazine, he probably needed some time out!

And if you like I'd like to place your map in the Great Pass Gazzeteer.

I'm more than happy for you to use any of my material, so please do!

Regards,

Carillion
Carillion
Ogre

Postby Robin » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:31 pm

Thanx.
I'll use it as a internal backcover.
Still working on the layout and those few missing/incomplete items (as giver somewhat earlier)
So if any has any ideas/input...please give them here.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby julius_cleaver » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:08 am

So Robin...I began looking at the Mini-Gaz. I think some things in the beginning need to be reorganized to make more sense.

ALSO: I think you should write an introduction for it. Think Editor-In-Chief's introduction in Threshold. It seems funny not to have some official beginning.

ALSO: Kapycöl Kale essentially means: Desert’s Cap Castle. [Kap = Cap...Kapy doens't seem to mean anything; Kale = Castle; Köl = Desert] Which could be interpreted at either Desert's End Castle, as The Master's Fist sits on the edge of the Waste; OR Desert's Cap Castle, denoting the fact that the fortress sits atop an enormous tor at the edge of The Great Pass.

In either case...this name should be associated with The Master's Fist. NOT the fortress on the Western side. The name doesn't really make sense in that case.
Furthermore...you seem to keep switching, and I am assuming this is just a typo, between using Kapycöl Kale and Kapycöl Kane. But Kane doesn't really mean anything...so I think it should be Kale which means Castle.

This would then make Şeytan pençesi (Devil's Claw) the fortress on the Western side. Which also seems to make more sense. Either way I don't think it is a big deal. IT is just simply the process of switching the names of the two fortresses. They can still keep their respective particularities. The only thing that would change is their names!

Something we could slowly do as we make our way through you Gazetteer. I must say that at 111 Pages...it isn't really Mini anything; it's practically its own Gazetteer!!

Şeytan pençesi also keep coming up as "The devil dog" based on the few online translators I used.

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Postby Robin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:23 pm

Nice...

Ok, some reorganizaton indeed may deem necessary. I am auto didact in Layout with word, and thus flaws surely would have crept in. Even though with each thing I make, more experience crawls in.

Hmm...I am normally not that content with myself..I feel that my person is not important for that, but maybe on the back cover ;)

Kapy is according turkish friends of mine "Top " or "summit". End does fit too.
kale vs Kane are indeed typo's, as I said it's not ready, and unchecked.

Switching them? ok... I believe I have done so on the map already, but I have to check, and maybe do so. What you say has merit
The name Şeytan pençesi I got from that Turkish friend was actually directed at my own hand...(since I have 6inch nails.;) ) when I was searching for a name. I liked it, especially together with the image of the structure itself which has a vague hand shape.

111...own gazetteer...ehh ...yes..ahem.....that is a recurring thing with me...things grow a bit...(sorry weebit) ...out of hand. Just like my monster Manual Compilation, which was a card set in the beginning, with all extra's from elsewhere added together, and now I am to a staggering 8000 pages or something.
My Broken Lands map and that of the Canolbarth are thus large, they almost become real.. And actually, that's the feel, I desire to bring.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby julius_cleaver » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:50 am

Your introduction should be in the front. Like after the cover, and table of contents page. Followed by the sources page. Pictures credits...as they are similar to an index to be placed at the end. Perhaps it might even be possible to use the search function in word to create some kind of index.

My other piece of advice would be...don't anchor pictures to the page until the final layout. I have found several areas where you have various information about a similar subject, and when I tried combining these, Word did funny things with the pictures.

Last but not least. Should I assume all material from this thread that you have put up has made it into the Gazetteer?

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Postby Robin » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:45 am

To introduction; Still that feels strange, not me. I am not important, the work however is.
Source list indeed must be added with picture credits where possible.
To search in word that does not really work wel.I make headers.2.3.4,5 or even 6,Title and main text. Then I make a PDF of it, that way the text (and all else) is locked but in Adobe you get an automated list option on the leftthat is clickable and directional

to layout and pictures, if something has to shift i know how to do that. it can indeed be tricky sometimes. mostly the pictures belong to the nearby text. so combining can be done, but where..why?

most of it does end up in the gazetteer, and some more (the political and NPC system isnot ready, and must be clarified/balanced/finished)
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby julius_cleaver » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:13 pm

Well exactly...the introduction is to explain the work...not you. You are not writing a biography of yourself. You even have a small blog though for your Threshold articles... :)

The introduction is to tell people about what they will find in the Gazetteer. I think if you look at any of the cannon ones you might get a better idea of what I am talking about, and what you might want to write!

Never used the Adobe automated list option...does this create indexes of terms appearing in the text? If so that is pretty great.

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Postby Robin » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:19 pm

You mean a Foreword...ah ok

If you're interested how this works look at my latest Monster Manual compilation chapter; to the side are buttons , The first are mini pages, but the second (shaped like a flag) of these is a list where each heading in the word document become a clickable link to that page
Robin
Cloud Giant

PreviousNext

Return to Mystara