[5E] Out of the Abyss - Useful for Mystara?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[5E] Out of the Abyss - Useful for Mystara?

Post by Havard »

Wizards of the Coast wrote:SYNOPSIS

Dare to descend into the Underdark in this adventure for the world’s greatest roleplaying game!

The Underdark is a subterranean wonderland, a vast and twisted labyrinth where fear reigns. It is the home of horrific monsters that have never seen the light of day. It is here that the dark elf Gromph Baenre, Archmage of Menzoberranzan, casts a foul spell meant to ignite a magical energy that suffuses the Underdark and tears open portals to the demonic Abyss. What steps through surprises even him, and from that moment on, the insanity that pervades the Underdark escalates and threatens to shake the Forgotten Realms to its foundations. Stop the madness before it consumes you!

A Dungeons & Dragons adventure for characters of levels 1–15

ITEM DETAILS

Price: $49.95 C$63.95
Release Date: 15 September, 2015
Source: http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tableto ... oftheabyss

Well, the adventure does feature Demogorgon on the cover, which is what got me interested. An adventure that takes the PCs to 15th level could possibly actually feature Demogorgon as well. Does anyone know if this is true? Or know anything else about this adventure?

I wonder if this adventure could be adapted to the Caverns of the Shadowelves....

On a more grumpy note, didnt we already do Demogorgon and Orcus for 3E and 4E adventure paths already? Doesn't D&D have a ton of other megavillains to make use of?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

LibraryLass
Goblin

Re: [5E] Out of the Abyss - Useful for Mystara?

Post by LibraryLass »

Ehh, Demons are a favorite. They've done Tiamat/Dragons and the Princes of Elemental Evil/Elementals so far, and frankly I expect some kind of undead, aberration, and giant as the next three villains after Rage of Demons.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

LibraryLass wrote:Ehh, Demons are a favorite. They've done Tiamat/Dragons and the Princes of Elemental Evil/Elementals so far, and frankly I expect some kind of undead, aberration, and giant as the next three villains after Rage of Demons.

Yeah, what you are saying makes sense. :) Plus, I guess characters like the Demon Princes, Tiamat and Drizzt are considered iconic characters so they want to make as much use of them as possible.

On the good side, this means we get to see more of the characters and monsters that do have a tie-in with Mystara :D

So how to adapt this adventure to our setting then? Too early to talk about?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

LibraryLass
Goblin

Post by LibraryLass »

Yeah, I'd say it's probably a little too soon to tell.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer »

Without knowing more, maybe Gromph is a Shattenalfen who found a way to subvert the Chamber of the Spheres (or the Nucleus of the Spheres) and create a planar rupture between Mystara and Pyts. Of course Demogorgon might rule a plane separate from Pyts. Maybe use Atzanteotl instead of Demogorgon?

I see a suggestion in the Vaults of Pandius that the non-Energy Immortals might unite to place a new curse on the Chamber of the Spheres if its power begins to throw the Immortal Spheres out of balance. Maybe Gromph was a shadow elf shaman who well-intentionally completed Rafiel's project, and the portals were a result of the Immortal curse rather than anything that Gromph did.

Bochi
Orc

Post by Bochi »

Looks great anyway. I hope it is generally convertible to other campaign worlds, since I should like some megadungeon sites in the one I'm developing anyway.

Return to “Mystara”