[Campaign Journal/Story Hour]: Thorn's Chronicle

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Re: [Campaign Journal/Story Hour]: Thorn's Chronicle

Postby Chimpman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:23 pm

This is getting really good Rob. I can't wait to see what they find next. Grrr.. can't remember if this was stated before or not, but I'm assuming that this is where Aurora has been taken (or at least this is what the group assumes)?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Chimpman wrote:This is getting really good Rob. I can't wait to see what they find next. Grrr.. can't remember if this was stated before or not, but I'm assuming that this is where Aurora has been taken (or at least this is what the group assumes)?

This is the assumption that the group is operating under, even though nobody has explicitly stated it. But heck, for all we know, Golithar could have just packed the girl up and left the Valley for someplace warmer.... :twisted:

As always, glad to see you're still reading (and enjoying, as well!)
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Chimpman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:27 pm

:D I'm still reading and enjoying it very much! Sometimes I get backed up a post or two and end up reading 2 or 3 of them at once... but that just means I suffer through less cliff hanger angst ;)

I had set a goal for myself to finish up some of my own projects by December, but I'm not sure I'll make it now. I've taken on 2 odd jobs (in addition to my main job) to try and earn some extra cash (baby girl needs braces ;) ) so my free time seems to be quickly vanishing.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:36 pm

I'm hoping by December, this arc will have finished itself, and we'll be well on the way into the second chronicle, "Wake of the White Witch's Wrath" :twisted:
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Azaghal » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:38 pm

Wow! Somehow I missed the last few posts. Great to read such a posting all at once. All I can say is it`s all just been an awesome story so far Rob.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby RobJN » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:36 am

Azaghal wrote:Wow! Somehow I missed the last few posts. Great to read such a posting all at once. All I can say is it`s all just been an awesome story so far Rob.

Glad you're enjoying it. This is a blast to write. And I hope to be heaping on a bit more awesome sauce in the coming posts...
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Wulfric » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:53 am

Well, all I can say is "WOW." It's taken me a few weeks to get caught up and it's been a thrill. I now sit in anticipation, waiting for another chapter.

I am a bit confused on one thing.... (well, a lot of things actually, but I'm waiting to see if they resolve as the story goes on)

Clearly, Thorn's Mystara is a "low magic" setting in comparison to the Mystara presented in the BEMCI sets. OK, no problem. What in has confused me is that while we have seen many examples of clerical and druid magic in the chronicle, when the party has suffered injuries, they are almost always treated by conventional bandages, slings and the like. Do clerics/druids have magic but no healing spells? Or, are healing spells a specialization that Thorn and Ana do not have? Or, am I just dense and missed something?

What I do want to point out, it that while magic may be less prevalent, the descriptions of magic in the chronicle have been fantastic. One of my favorites was also one of the most subtle: Baron Halaran incapacitating a Black Eagle soldier.

“You will hold!” the baron said, his back gone even straighter.
The guard’s eyes widened, his arm locking in place. Cords in his neck stood out, but it was as if he’d been suddenly set in stone.

It's so cool that there are no crazy arm flailing gestures or funny chanting. It's simple, primal and mysterious. Also, it's so much more enjoyable than what you might hear during a game session:

DM - You are surrounded by Black Eagle troops. One douche bag soldier is harassing the girls. What do you do?
Player - Hmmm... I'll cast Hold Person on the douche bag.
Just not the same is it? :)

Anyhow, I'll stop rambling and just say "thanks" to Rob for such an excellent story. Keep up the good work!
Wulfric
Orc

Postby RobJN » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:00 pm

Wulfric wrote:Well, all I can say is "WOW." It's taken me a few weeks to get caught up and it's been a thrill. I now sit in anticipation, waiting for another chapter.

Then everything is going according to my Master Plan :twisted: Glad you're enjoying the ride!

I am a bit confused on one thing.... (well, a lot of things actually, but I'm waiting to see if they resolve as the story goes on)

By all means, if something doesn't add up or you feel you need extra info, please ask! If it is something that will be resolved, I'll let you know. If that resolution isn't coming for some time down the plot-line, I'll tease you with hints about what could be in the works :D

Clearly, Thorn's Mystara is a "low magic" setting in comparison to the Mystara presented in the BEMCI sets. OK, no problem. What in has confused me is that while we have seen many examples of clerical and druid magic in the chronicle, when the party has suffered injuries, they are almost always treated by conventional bandages, slings and the like. Do clerics/druids have magic but no healing spells? Or, are healing spells a specialization that Thorn and Ana do not have? Or, am I just dense and missed something?

Thorn's Mystara is actually still awash with magic, but it isn't nearly as flashy or prevalent as it was back in the World that Was, before the Great Rain of Fire. Much of the magical healing is done between blocks of the chronicle, or Thorn passes it off as everyday and not worth more than passing mention. True, Ana and Thorn use "conventional" first aid in many cases, but Ana also has access to Cure _____ Wounds spells. She normally reserves them for times of extreme need, as when she healed Varis in the Black Tower, or in healing the wounded town guardsmen of Verge during the gnoll raid. Children of Winter routinely use the reversed version of the spell.

Silva and Aurora both exhibit regenerative properties, granted either through their accoutrements, or as an inherent ability -- Thorn has not discovered precisely which it is.

What I do want to point out, it that while magic may be less prevalent, the descriptions of magic in the chronicle have been fantastic. One of my favorites was also one of the most subtle: Baron Halaran incapacitating a Black Eagle soldier.

Thorn wrote:“You will hold!” the baron said, his back gone even straighter.
The guard’s eyes widened, his arm locking in place. Cords in his neck stood out, but it was as if he’d been suddenly set in stone.

It's so cool that there are no crazy arm flailing gestures or funny chanting. It's simple, primal and mysterious. Also, it's so much more enjoyable than what you might hear during a game session

Magic is built into the very fabric of Mystara -- it permeates the planet, winding through cultures, histories, counrties. In writing Thorn's Chronicle, I want to portray that magic as something special, but also something wild, still not fully understood; feared in many cases, kept around as a tool because it is useful, but still not entirely embraced by the masses.

Also, I've portrayed magic (thus far) as somewhat personal: Each character who uses magic does so in a way different from others. Sure, Ana uses clerical magic, but because she's a cleric of the Silver Flame, her spells are themed towards light, shades of white and silver, and the "verbal components" are spoken in Alphatian, the native language of the faith. Baron Halaran shows what the might of authority a baron and Patriarch of the Church of Karameikos can do with just a few words. Thorn, in keeping with the druidic theme of natural balance, does not simply conjure flames into being from nowhere with the Produce Fire spell, but draws the heat and fire from his surroundings. Silva and Aurora both simply invoke effects from the stones they wear. Any gesturing they may do along the way is most likely entirely optional, or -- like their magic -- is performed on a very basic, instinctual level.

Anyhow, I'll stop rambling and just say "thanks" to Rob for such an excellent story. Keep up the good work!

Glad to be writing it, and very glad it is being enjoyed. Again, if you have questions about nuts-and-bolts (as this excellent question on the nature of healing magic), please ask away!
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Gecko » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:57 am

Wulfric wrote:What I do want to point out, it that while magic may be less prevalent, the descriptions of magic in the chronicle have been fantastic. One of my favorites was also one of the most subtle: Baron Halaran incapacitating a Black Eagle soldier.

Thorn wrote:“You will hold!” the baron said, his back gone even straighter.

It's so cool that there are no crazy arm flailing gestures or funny chanting. It's simple, primal and mysterious. Also, it's so much more enjoyable than what you might hear during a game session

DM - You are surrounded by Black Eagle troops. One douche bag soldier is harassing the girls. What do you do?
Player - Hmmm... I'll cast Hold Person on the douche bag.
Just not the same is it?

Well that's largely a difference between in-character and out-of-character descriptions. A DM could always encourage a player to 'act-out' or at least describe the visuals of their spell casting (works great in PBEM's), and whenever there's downtime It's always good to look over a few spells and desite what the outwards signs are. ;)

RobJN wrote:Also, I've portrayed magic (thus far) as somewhat personal: Each character who uses magic does so in a way different from others. Sure, Ana uses clerical magic, but because she's a cleric of the Silver Flame, her spells are themed towards light, shades of white and silver, and the "verbal components" are spoken in Alphatian, the native language of the faith. Baron Halaran shows what the might of authority a baron and Patriarch of the Church of Karameikos can do with just a few words. Thorn, in keeping with the druidic theme of natural balance, does not simply conjure flames into being from nowhere with the Produce Fire spell, but draws the heat and fire from his surroundings. Silva and Aurora both simply invoke effects from the stones they wear. Any gesturing they may do along the way is most likely entirely optional, or -- like their magic -- is performed on a very basic, instinctual level.

Such subtle differences definately enhance the storytelling in my opinion, bravo!
Gecko
Storm Giant

Postby Wulfric » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:41 am

RobJN wrote:Also, I've portrayed magic (thus far) as somewhat personal: Each character who uses magic does so in a way different from others. Sure, Ana uses clerical magic, but because she's a cleric of the Silver Flame, her spells are themed towards light, shades of white and silver, and the "verbal components" are spoken in Alphatian, the native language of the faith.

Very cool. Ok, so next question: What is the "Silver Flame"?
Wulfric
Orc

Postby RobJN » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:57 pm

Wulfric wrote:Very cool. Ok, so next question: What is the "Silver Flame"?

This is a faith borrowed from the Eberron Campaign Setting:
Eberron Campaign Setting, pp 67-68 wrote:The Church of the Silver Flame is dedicated to protecting the common people against supernatural forces of evil...

I have co-opted the Silver Flame as a religion/philosophy brought to Mystara by the Alphatians. Concerned with defense against supernatural evils, the Church's intolerance of lycanthropes, demons, and external evils makes it a perfect fit. The main church headquarters is in Sundsvall, simply called the Citadel. There, in the main cathedral, a pillar of cool sliver fire burns taller than a man, kindled from the flickering candle brought by Alphatian priests through their long wandering through the planes.

If you have read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, templars (the military arm of the church) are depicted very much like the Children of Light. Ana is considered a templar (as are all clerics and paladins), but she takes a much more liberal view of the teachings of the Flame.

For the briefest of summaries, see "Light and Truth Amidst the Dark: The Silver Flame" on the "Rules and Mechanics Changes" page of my website.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby RobJN » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:00 pm

Thorn's Chronicle continues...

Varis leaned through the doorway, sniffing. “I smell nothing but… age. Dust. Ruin.”

Ana held a corner of her cloak over her mouth and nose. “Korizeggy’s village is a rose garden compared to this stench.” Her grip firmed on the haft of her scythe, and she rapped the butt-end against the stone.

“Lest ZelvrenCypt etemijn lys,” she murmured. Alongside the clear hum singing from the blade, a soft silver light began to shine forth.

Ana’s light was not bright enough to reveal the corners of the chamber beyond, but was enough to make out the shadowy outline of the ruin of the left half of the room. We picked our way across the rubble-strewn floor, heading towards a flickering reddish light we could see looming brighter in the darkness ahead.

We were perhaps halfway through the ruined antechamber when Jaleel gave a muffled squark and stumbled. The sharp sound of her knees hitting the stone floor made me grit my teeth. I turned, and caught her before she fell the rest of the way.

“Are you —”

I did not have a chance to finish my question. Her eyes narrowed, not in pain, but with what amounted to a smile around her gag.

The rubble erupted, broken bodies shaking off off soil and stone, clambering towards us, a wall of broken puppets, hands extended, intent on tearing us to pieces.

But Ana seemed to be ready. She rapped the haft of her scythe harder upon the floor, and the silver light flared. I had to cover my eyes, it shone so brightly, nearly equal to daylight.

“Min ollen alend jenteCypt!” Ana cried in a voice nearly as powerful as the light. There came a chorus of angry hisses, a sound like icy water scalding away, and the sharp tang of hot iron filled the air.

I blinked, squinting through the glare, to see the line of half-naked bodies, skin the blue-gray of frozen flesh visible beneath what was blackened from Ana’s rebuke.

“You will have to do better than that, druidess.”
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby RobJN » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:33 pm

Thorn's Chronicle continues....

Another doorway, carved with heavy, crude figures and glyphics, opened into the temple proper.

My eyes were drawn immediately to the great circle of red-tinged fire, the red a shade too bloody to be natural, the flames licking, writhing in a grotesque mockery of fire. The flames hissed, as though burning wet wood — but I knew they sprang directly from the stone itself. Their crackling was the clicking, rattling rabble of whatever manner of demon had been called here. And not just one voice, but hundreds. Thousands, milling about in the great circle, which yawned into a darkness too thick to be anything natural.

It was an effort of will to drag my eyes away from the spectacle, but I looked up, to where Jaleel was staring in wide-eyed panic.

Past the great circle of demonic flame, before an altar on a dais raised higher than the flames, another dark-robed figure stood, arms raised, pale hands standing out against his black cloak. One hand was wrapped about the hilt of a dagger, fresh blood gleaming on the blade, sliding down, over the pale hand. In the other hand was a gobbet of something grayish-red, as bloody as the knife, quivering. My throat began to burn as I felt my stomach turn once I realized just what it was he held.

The figure turned from the dark stone altar, and cast the heart into the pit, eyes raised towards the ceiling.

“Accept this gift, my Lord of the Frozen Night! Your humblest of servants, Zadamar, bids you come forth and opens this door in welcome!”

The twisted flames leapt higher, the crackling rising a notch in pitch and fervor. The enclosed darkness roiled, turning over lazily as a soup might upon the lowest of simmers.

Zadamar slowly lowered his arms, his gaze also lowering to regard the pit with something very close to contempt. Those eyes flicked above the flames, no sign of surprise in his expression at all.

“Well, it appears that our Lord shall be well fed this day. So good of you to bring them to me, Jaleel.” Zadamar’s voice was rich, very nearly musical in its tone and timbre. Such songs he must sing! My heart weighs heavy, even today, to think on it.

His eyes were sunken, the brows long past gray, as white as the long fringe of hair that trailed from beneath his dark hood. The hand still gripping the knife trembled ever so slightly, shaking flecks of blood from the tip. Not that a few more drops on the hem of his robe mattered much; it shone with a heavy wetness in the firelight.

“Cease this at once!” Ana called. “By the light of the Silver Flame, I—”

“You what?” the ancient druid asked. “Your pitiful Silver Flame is but a candle amidst a bonfire, girl. It’s a wonder those flames have not yet consumed you.” He walked slowly as he spoke, leaning heavily on the altar behind him, paying no heed to the blood through which his hand slopped.

Gilliam’s bow thrummed. Almost too fast to see, the arrow streaked across the room. I only saw the flash of icy red light, so fast did the old druid’s hand move, cutting the arrow out of the air less than an arm’s breadth from his neck.

“Jaleel,” the old man crooned, his shaggy brows dipping in a frown. “Just how much further will you sink into barbarity? And you,” he said, turning his gaze on Gilliam. “Skagragh is not hers to give, but belongs to our Lord of the Frozen Night. You will serve me. Kneel!”

Gilliam’s hand spasmed, and his bow clattered to the floor. He doubled over with a choked off cry, then slowly straightened, grinning. His eyes shone, feverish, and sweat beaded his forehead, despite the plumes of frost in the air as we breathed.

“I am protected,” he wheezed. “Neither Skagragh nor your will can overshadow my own.” The fingers of his other hand worked, and rather than a coin, spinning across his knuckles, the broad silver pendant in the shape of an arrowhead came to rest between his thumb and forefinger.

Gilliam glanced over to Ana. “I hope you don’t mind my borrowing this.”

“I suppose I might forgive you, provided we get out of this alive.”

“That is looking to be a wider and wider stretch,” Varis said.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby RobJN » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:25 pm

Thorn's Chronicle continues....

“Why?”

Ana’s question hung for several long moments, before the crackling whispers of the hellish flames was joined by the soft chuckle from the druid on the dais.

“Ah, youth,” he said, with a smile in his voice. “By now, any other priest of your pitiful little flame and I would be trading blows, and you simply ask ‘why.’”

“Why aren’t we trying to separate his head from his shoulders?” Varis asked.

Gilliam shook his head, and then glanced upward.

What I’d thought was a column, along the far side of the room, was a great support for an arm of some dark metal, reaching out, towards the center of the room. Directly above the circle of blackness.

Swinging ever so slightly, suspended from gleaming black chain, was a cage. A corner of cloth peeked from between the bars.

White cloth.

Zadamar glanced upwards as well. “Ah, yes. I’d hoped to save this one as a special treat for my Lord once he stepped through. I suppose she will have to do to simply bring him, instead.” He waved his hand in the direction of the base of the pillar, and two figures rose up from what I’d taken as simply more piles of rubble.

They reached forth, grasping two great cogs that rose from the floor, and began turning them, passing one to the other. With a jolt and clatter, the cage began to descend.

The corner of white cloth disappeared, and I saw a flash of golden hair and two small hands, clutching the bars.

Varis drew his sword, and made to leap towards the mechanism. Gilliam grabbed his arm.

“Think,” he hissed. “If they fall, she falls faster.”

“Stop.”

We turned towards Jaleel. Somehow, she’d managed to work herself free of her gag.

Zadamar lifted his hand again, and the clatter of the chain stopped. Aurora’s cage swung perhaps thirty feet overhead.

“I will be the one, not her.” The older woman glanced up at the cage. “You have declared me already gone over to winter. I will not go on some iron-edged abomination of man. Let winter take my heart.”

The other druid smiled, slowly. His nod came just as slowly. “Yes. Yes, let it be as you said. Come, child.” He extended his hand, in a welcoming gesture made all the more unsettling for the sheen of blood slicking the hand, the drops pattering unheeded to the dais, over the altar of black stone.

Jaleel walked, straight-backed, past us, around the great chattering, hissing circle of demon-touched flames.

At the base of the steps leading up towards the dais, she shed her cloak. Two steps up, she’d shaken off the hood of her robe, allowing her dark hair to spill over her shoulders. Then she stood before Zadamar, hands clasped before her, shoulders squared, chin lifted, not in defiance, but showing her throat, as a wolf does to show obeisance to the pack’s primus.

Zadamar ran a hand through her hair, as loving a gesture as I have ever seen, even as his other hand tightened on the knife. He leaned down, kissing her forehead.

“You do us a great honor, child. Let winter take your heart quickly.” He brought the knife up, his gaze going from the woman’s eyes down towards her hands as the blade caught on something.

She’d imposed one of our waterskins between them, and as Zadamar jerked the knife free, it began to empty.

Jaleel closed her hand over the stream of water, and with a hissing, snapping crackle, it hardened into ice.

“Winter take your heart,” she spat, reversing her grip on the spike of ice, and driving it upwards, into the old druid’s chest from below.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Azaghal » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:23 am

RobJN wrote:
Azaghal wrote:Wow! Somehow I missed the last few posts. Great to read such a posting all at once. All I can say is it`s all just been an awesome story so far Rob.

Glad you're enjoying it. This is a blast to write. And I hope to be heaping on a bit more awesome sauce in the coming posts...

I would say you have suceeded! :D
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Brett McKee » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:35 pm

RobJN wrote:Thorn's Chronicle continues....

“Why?”

Ana’s question hung for several long moments, before the crackling whispers of the hellish flames was joined by the soft chuckle from the druid on the dais.

“Ah, youth,” he said, with a smile in his voice. “By now, any other priest of your pitiful little flame and I would be trading blows, and you simply ask ‘why.’”

“Why aren’t we trying to separate his head from his shoulders?” Varis asked.

Gilliam shook his head, and then glanced upward.

What I’d thought was a column, along the far side of the room, was a great support for an arm of some dark metal, reaching out, towards the center of the room. Directly above the circle of blackness.

Swinging ever so slightly, suspended from gleaming black chain, was a cage. A corner of cloth peeked from between the bars.

White cloth.

Zadamar glanced upwards as well. “Ah, yes. I’d hoped to save this one as a special treat for my Lord once he stepped through. I suppose she will have to do to simply bring him, instead.” He waved his hand in the direction of the base of the pillar, and two figures rose up from what I’d taken as simply more piles of rubble.

They reached forth, grasping two great cogs that rose from the floor, and began turning them, passing one to the other. With a jolt and clatter, the cage began to descend.

The corner of white cloth disappeared, and I saw a flash of golden hair and two small hands, clutching the bars.

Varis drew his sword, and made to leap towards the mechanism. Gilliam grabbed his arm.

“Think,” he hissed. “If they fall, she falls faster.”

“Stop.”

We turned towards Jaleel. Somehow, she’d managed to work herself free of her gag.

Zadamar lifted his hand again, and the clatter of the chain stopped. Aurora’s cage swung perhaps thirty feet overhead.

“I will be the one, not her.” The older woman glanced up at the cage. “You have declared me already gone over to winter. I will not go on some iron-edged abomination of man. Let winter take my heart.”

The other druid smiled, slowly. His nod came just as slowly. “Yes. Yes, let it be as you said. Come, child.” He extended his hand, in a welcoming gesture made all the more unsettling for the sheen of blood slicking the hand, the drops pattering unheeded to the dais, over the altar of black stone.

Jaleel walked, straight-backed, past us, around the great chattering, hissing circle of demon-touched flames.

At the base of the steps leading up towards the dais, she shed her cloak. Two steps up, she’d shaken off the hood of her robe, allowing her dark hair to spill over her shoulders. Then she stood before Zadamar, hands clasped before her, shoulders squared, chin lifted, not in defiance, but showing her throat, as a wolf does to show obeisance to the pack’s primus.

Zadamar ran a hand through her hair, as loving a gesture as I have ever seen, even as his other hand tightened on the knife. He leaned down, kissing her forehead.

“You do us a great honor, child. Let winter take your heart quickly.” He brought the knife up, his gaze going from the woman’s eyes down towards her hands as the blade caught on something.

She’d imposed one of our waterskins between them, and as Zadamar jerked the knife free, it began to empty.

Jaleel closed her hand over the stream of water, and with a hissing, snapping crackle, it hardened into ice.

“Winter take your heart,” she spat, reversing her grip on the spike of ice, and driving it upwards, into the old druid’s chest from below.

I didn't see that coming.
Brett McKee
Gnoll

Postby RobJN » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:20 pm

Brett McKee wrote:
Thorn's Chronicle wrote:Jaleel closed her hand over the stream of water, and with a hissing, snapping crackle, it hardened into ice.

I didn't see that coming.

:twisted: Neither did Zadamar ;)
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Azaghal » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:55 pm

No one did Rob.
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby RobJN » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:15 am

Just hope it didn't seem to come from too far out of left field..... :?
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Azaghal » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:50 am

RobJN wrote:Just hope it didn't seem to come from too far out of left field..... :?

Not at all, I was expecting some type of trick just not what happened.
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Brett McKee » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:05 am

RobJN wrote:Just hope it didn't seem to come from too far out of left field..... :?

I think we all expected a trick, isn't that how the bad guys behave? I just didn't expect an icicle dagger, awesome idea Rob. Now how would that look like in game terms?
Brett McKee
Gnoll

Postby RobJN » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:16 pm

Brett McKee wrote: I just didn't expect an icicle dagger, awesome idea Rob. Now how would that look like in game terms?

Depending on the edition that you play, you could go a couple different ways with this spell. Basic D&D, I would simply "re-skin" the second-level druid spell Produce Fire into Produce Ice, and rule that the damage dealt is equal to a short sword.

For 1st/2nd ed. AD&D, as well as 3rd edition, you could re-skin Flame Blade in a similar manner.

I got a lot of mileage from the article "The Color of Magic" in Dragon #200. As the main foes thus far have been cold-based (frostreaver demons and druids of the Children of Winter sect), it's really just a matter of changing the word "fire" into "ice" for most spells, or leaning the damage dealt or effect towards cold-based attacks. A Child of Winter's Cause Wounds spell manifests as frostbite, for instance. A Hold Person spell might temporarily sheathe the victim in ice, preventing them from moving.

As for the damage dealt by Jaleel in the attack -- sure Zadamar has a lot more than 1d6 hit points. But the element of icesurprise would have maximized and doubled the damage.

Under the Alternity ruleset, Jaleel either scored an Amazing hit, or hit hard enough to dish out about 8 points of damage -- either of which would knock an opponent out of action, either through a failed Stamina-endurance check, or the "full damage track Knockout" rules.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Chimpman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:44 pm

I'm a little behind.
RobJN wrote:“Well, it appears that our Lord shall be well fed this day. So good of you to bring them to me, Jaleel.” Zadamar’s voice was rich, very nearly musical in its tone and timbre. Such songs he must sing! My heart weighs heavy, even today, to think on it.

:D Role to be played by Christopher Lee...
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Chimpman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:51 pm

RobJN wrote:
Brett McKee wrote: I just didn't expect an icicle dagger, awesome idea Rob. Now how would that look like in game terms?

Depending on the edition that you play, you could go a couple different ways with this spell. Basic D&D, I would simply "re-skin" the second-level druid spell Produce Fire into Produce Ice, and rule that the damage dealt is equal to a short sword.

For 1st/2nd ed. AD&D, as well as 3rd edition, you could re-skin Flame Blade in a similar manner.

I got a lot of mileage from the article "The Color of Magic" in Dragon #200. As the main foes thus far have been cold-based (frostreaver demons and druids of the Children of Winter sect), it's really just a matter of changing the word "fire" into "ice" for most spells, or leaning the damage dealt or effect towards cold-based attacks. A Child of Winter's Cause Wounds spell manifests as frostbite, for instance. A Hold Person spell might temporarily sheathe the victim in ice, preventing them from moving.

As for the damage dealt by Jaleel in the attack -- sure Zadamar has a lot more than 1d6 hit points. But the element of icesurprise would have maximized and doubled the damage.

Under the Alternity ruleset, Jaleel either scored an Amazing hit, or hit hard enough to dish out about 8 points of damage -- either of which would knock an opponent out of action, either through a failed Stamina-endurance check, or the "full damage track Knockout" rules.

If you want to end him for dramatic purposes you could also rule that Jaleel's proximity, and Zadamar's circumstances (not expecting any treachery) opened him up to a coup de grace.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:01 am

Chimpman wrote:If you want to end him for dramatic purposes you could also rule that Jaleel's proximity, and Zadamar's circumstances (not expecting any treachery) opened him up to a coup de grace.

a.k.a. "Death by Plot" :D

... not to be confused with "Rocks fall; everybody dies." :roll:
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

PreviousNext

Return to Mystara