[B10] Sukiskyn Battle Map

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

atzanteotl
Hobgoblin

[B10] Sukiskyn Battle Map

Post by atzanteotl » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:34 pm

I started this a while back in another thread. I thought it deserved its own thread.

B10: Night's Dark Terror is one of my favorite modules in my collection. I don't know how many times it had been used before I got my copy, but I've run it at least twice since then. The years have not been kind to the folded map that came with it. So I decided that I needed to rebuild it. I have the technology. I can make it better, stronger, faster. Oh wait. That's the bionic man.

It's a hefty-sized download (91.5Mb) because it's suitable for large-format printing. The trimmed map measures 45"x30" at a resolution of 200dpi, and was specifically created to use with miniatures. I work in a graphics shop, so the intent was originally for me to print it out for my own use. I have taken a break from table-top gaming however, and have no plans to print it for myself in the immediate future.

In any case, I'm calling it done for now, and I'm sharing it with all you Mystara fans who might be interested.

Also included in the bundle is a small sheet of ladder tokens, for the final goblin charge in the siege scenario.

I took some liberties when I was building it. Notably, the key and inset map are not here. I did not consider them necessary for a battle map, and their removal allows the DM to move the final goblin charge across the east clearing while the PC defenders snipe at them.

There are also small differences, like the placement of the door to room 7 - it makes more sense for the door to be in the corner of the room than the middle of the south wall. In some cases, I have nudged the walls a little to line up better with the grid than in the original. Overall, these differences should not really have any effect on playing out the encounters that take place on this map.

Click the image to download (91.5 Mb .zip archive):

PS - If stanles decides to archive this in the Vaults of Pandius, let me know and I will update this post with the direct link.
Last edited by atzanteotl on Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

[B10] Re: Sukiskyn Battle Map

Post by Argentmantle » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:08 pm

Awesome! Very nice work. I keep meaning to try my hand at doing some large scale miniature maps like these.

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Re: [B10] Sukiskyn Battle Map

Post by ghendar » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:30 pm

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

DirtSkull
Gnoll

Post by DirtSkull » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:52 am

Thanks indeed. :)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:01 pm

Hey man,
this looks great! Whenever I get around to running B10 again, this is going to be really useful.

Thank you very much!

Any chance we could be seeing more Battle Maps like this for Mystara locations? :)

Moderator Note: I took the liberty to add a [B10] tag to the posts of this thread so it will be easier to identify later on. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

atzanteotl
Hobgoblin

Post by atzanteotl » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:34 pm

Havard wrote:Any chance we could be seeing more Battle Maps like this for Mystara locations? :)
Heh. I won't say "no" outright, but chances are slim at this time.

Irondrake
Ogre

Post by Irondrake » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:49 am

Fantastic map!

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:17 am

:o :cool: Wow....that is a gorgeous map!
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

atzanteotl
Hobgoblin

Post by atzanteotl » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:30 am

Thanks guys.

I don't know that I will do other maps, but if there's enough interest, I might be willing to create a version of this one that includes the key and inset map. I was actually working on adding those elements but decided I personally didn't need them.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:55 am

atzanteotl wrote:I don't know that I will do other maps, but if there's enough interest, I might be willing to create a version of this one that includes the key and inset map. I was actually working on adding those elements but decided I personally didn't need them.
:cool: Count me in as interested!
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:11 pm

Awesome!
atzanteotl wrote:PS - If stanles decides to archive this in the Vaults of Pandius, let me know and I will update this post with the direct link.
I would be surprised if Stanles didn't jump all over this when he saw it. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

stanles
Hill Giant

Post by stanles » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:42 pm

atzanteotl wrote:PS - If stanles decides to archive this in the Vaults of Pandius, let me know and I will update this post with the direct link.
hello Atzanteotl

I caught up to the end of June on the current update - and was going to just go up to today because somebody pointed this one out to me on Facebook. I'm good to put this one up on the Vaults when you're ready.

cheers
shawn
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com

Tom Bulls Eye
Wanderer of Ahl

Post by Tom Bulls Eye » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:51 am

Awesome map! Inspired me to reread the module. It remains my favorite of the B-series.

atzanteotl
Hobgoblin

Post by atzanteotl » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:00 pm

I probably will go ahead and do a version with inset map and map key, just for the sake of offering a map that's as faithful to the original as possible. However, I would not hold my breath waiting for it, since it took a while to get this far. When I go to add the other elements, I will be rebuilding some of it from scratch using some of the lessons I learned the first go 'round.

Also, further up, Havard asked if I might do maps like this for other Mystara locales. So just wondering, if I was to do another map like this, what locations would be in demand for a map like this? No promises on when/if I would actually produce one, but just curious.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sun May 12, 2019 9:05 am

Four years later and I’m just finding this now. I made a post over in the Warhammer forum about a conversion of B10, and the conversion referenced your map.

In any case, wonderful work. :D

Also, heads up to Shawn: currently only a low resolution jpeg is at the Vaults. Perhaps replace it with the full resolution PDF?

stanles
Hill Giant

Post by stanles » Wed May 22, 2019 9:41 pm

Thorf wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:05 am
Four years later and I’m just finding this now. I made a post over in the Warhammer forum about a conversion of B10, and the conversion referenced your map.

In any case, wonderful work. :D

Also, heads up to Shawn: currently only a low resolution jpeg is at the Vaults. Perhaps replace it with the full resolution PDF?
thanks Thorf, I don't know how I missed that. Sorry atzanteotl, it'll be up at the next update.
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com

Return to “Mystara”