The Karameikos Experiment (Mini Play by Post!)

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Sturm
Blue Dragon

The Karameikos Experiment (Mini Play by Post!)

Post by Sturm »

Hello All,
I'd like to try an experimental play by post set in Karameikos.
I call it "experimental" because I'd like to try something new, as from past experiences I know PbP without a clear ending in sight usually die away.
Often playing by post as in the "normal" way, it takes years to complete a simple adventure, and players normally lose interest way earlier.
My idea is then to try a "strategic" form of play that will avoid all tactical combat and any micro-managing that slow down too much an adventure played in a forum.
Think of it as a mixture of theatre, with acts and scenes, and of "choose your own adventure" books, with the game smoothed down to the most meaningful player choices:

- Combat can and will happen, but it will be resolved strategically rather than tactically (id est players will be requested to describe a strategy rather than a single action).
- I'd like to try to play at least one meaningful scene a week, so posting at least one or twice a week will be required.
- I called it "mini" because an act will last about one month in real time. After each act, the player will be able to choose if continue to play or not, so I can accept also people who likes to play for a month only.
- The game will start around 990 AC with young, 0 level characters natives of Karameikos, brought together by a powerful motivation (Revenge, Mission, Assignment, Glory or Treasure).
- Players will vote the motivation which unifies the characters. If there is a tie, I will determine randomly between the tied motivations.
- If enough players agree, it's also possible to start an unconventional game (humanoids, fairy folks, minions of the Black Eagle or such).
- Deep knowledge of the setting is not required, all will be explained in-game and the starting characters are young and relatively ignorant.
- Knowledge of BECMI rules is not required either, as the DM (me) will translate any ruleset the player is familiar with in the final actions and results.
- I could allow almost any race and class ever published in D&D and related games, provided we can find a good (or at least not too far-fetched) reason for its presence.
- Dungeon crawling is still possible if the players desire it, but it will be a little different, i.e. the inhabitants of the dungeon will not wait quietly for the PCs in the next room
- Connected to the above, the game will be pretty realistic. Thinks to an Action Rpg like Diablo: the opposite of that. Going around killing anything that moves will be a certain recipe for disaster.
- The above doesn't mean heroic actions will be discouraged or punished, quite the contrary.
- I will begin with GAZ1 canon, but eventually I will incorporate themes and materials developed by the Mystara community over the years and events of my original campaign. The PbP should indeed become a way to explore some themes developed here and in Threshold magazine.

I think that could be enough as a presentation, the rest should be decided and discusses with willing sacrificial victims players :D
So, what do you think? willing to give it a try?
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: The Karameikos Experiment (Mini Play by Post!)

Post by RobJN »

This sounds like it would be a lot of fun. I have structured the Throne of Stars PbP campaign at the Comeback Inn much the same way. I'd love to play, but not sure if my real-work and writing schedule will allow me the time. :?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

BTW, I have a question about Throne of Stars, but I'll post it in the Comeback Inn

Gecko
Storm Giant

Post by Gecko »

Sounds interesting but there's no way I have the time for this now, nor for the next several months If my work schedule play's out the way I think it will.
Sturm wrote:- I'd like to try to play at least one meaningful scene a week, so posting at least one or twice a week will be required.
- I called it "mini" because an act will last about one month in real time. After each act, the player will be able to choose if continue to play or not, so I can accept also people who likes to play for a month only.
I like those two features, maybe come January or February I could start jumping in and out, as my monthly schedule allows. In the mean time I'd just lurk.

Gravesgard
Goblin

Post by Gravesgard »

Hey thanks for the invite in the other thread. I'd definitely be willing to give it a shot. I'll read up on Mystara bit and brainstorm a character if that's cool.
Last edited by Gravesgard on Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dartamian
Troll

Post by Dartamian »

I'm interested to try for a month (and I'll see from there). Set days for post or just one or two times during the week?
Dartamian
I'm a Troll!

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Hi Gravesgard, to begin reading about Mystara you could start from the Newbie guide here:
http://pandius.com/guide/ which has a section about Karameikos: http://pandius.com/guide/karameik.html
Much more informations about Karameikos exists on the Vault of Pandius: http://pandius.com/karameik.html
It is not necessary to read much anyway, as details on the setting will be explained during play.
What can I say for now it's that if you are a Ravenloft fan, Karameikos should not feel too different to you, as powerful vampires and undead cults lurk in forgotten castle and the wildlands :) indeed Transylvania was a major inspiration of this Mystara nation.

Hi Dartamian, sure you can try for as long as you wish. I'll post mostly when it's night and morning in the US, as I am in Europe, on weekdays. I will probably not post at all on Saturdays and Sundays. There will be no set days, but indicatively I will post on Monday/Tuesday and everyone is encouraged to post a reaction by Sunday.
I'd prefer to maintain the PbP as a low committment game, so ideally I'll try to require only one post a week.

When you want, you can start posting an idea for a character in the thread linked below:
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=14327
The Crystal Globe is the subforum dedicated to PbP here on The Piazza

Gecko, you are welcome to jump in as soon as you can. Same for anyone else who is interested!

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Hi Sturm, if you still have space, I'd be interested.

GP

Dervish
Ogre

Post by Dervish »

I would not mind a spot as well it I have not done a PbP in a long time if you can not fit me in the first month just put me on the waiting list :)B
Life is alot more valuable when you are strapped to an altar

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

We still have space. First step should be to vote an unifying motivation as said above, then we could also decide starting place and mood.
Class can be picked playing, so only race is initially necessary. Older characters maybe be used too, but they will start at 0 lvl anyway. Either they never adventured before or they were victims of some accident or amnesia...

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Preliminary questions for players:
- How old is your Pc?
- What race he or she is?
- What's his motivation? Glory, Treasure, Revenge, Mission or Assignment?
- Preferred starting point in Karameikos, if any?
- Preferred mood of the adventure, if any? Dark, Grim, Tragic, Neutral, Hopeful, Light-Hearted, other?

If you don't know or do not want to make these choices, I can determine them.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

I'm fine with a Sheared Thyatian (16-18 y.o.).
Motivation, I'd vote for Assignment.
Starting location, Specularum.
Tone, Grim.

GP

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

Is there still space for one more player?

If so, I would like to be a dwarf.
How young is a young dwarf? 30?
Motivation: Mission. (Still not sure what the mission would be...)
Starting location: Specularum
Tone: Grim
Last edited by hihama on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Hey, if there is still room, Im interested. I am thinking of playing a Traladaran. Maybe an escaped slave from the Thyatians. Fighter or Cleric.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Jump in hihama and Havard!
All others please reply to the questions as soon as you can!

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN »

Sturm wrote:Preliminary questions for players:
- How old is your Pc?
- What race he or she is?
- What's his motivation? Glory, Treasure, Revenge, Mission or Assignment?
- Preferred starting point in Karameikos, if any?
- Preferred mood of the adventure, if any? Dark, Grim, Tragic, Neutral, Hopeful, Light-Hearted, other?

If you don't know or do not want to make these choices, I can determine them.
I'd like to play a young-ish human Traladaran/Darine thief.
He would be motivated by a mission or assignment (from the elder of the clan, maybe?)
He could start anywhere in Karameikos, really. Fort Doom? Luln? Krakatos (maybe this is shortly after he'd taken Zirchev's Oath?) Others have mentioned Specularum, and I suppose he could have made his way all the way down to the coastal capital....
Ideally, the adventures could be a mix of all the moods, but I am not opposed to Grim/Dark
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Cool,
my idea is to play Gharislav ("Gharis"), a young Traladaran human. He was captured by the Iron Ring or some other similar group and trained to be a Gladiator. In captivity he also learned the mysteries of Halav.
Motivation: Mission
Starting location: Specularum
Tone: Grim is fine, but like RobJN I'd be okay with most tones probably.

Possible connections to other characters: He could be a relative to other Traladarans (if any), or a maybe some of the others are also escaped slaves. Childhood friends is also possible. Unless the campaign assumes us all to be strangers?

Anyway, the above are just ideas. I can change them to fit the needs of the game.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

Ok RobJN, thanks all for your answers.
Now let's continue on this thread in the Crystal Globe for final preparations:
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=14327&p=163566#p163566

Return to “Mystara”