[Thyatis] Overseas Territories (AC1000)

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Thyatis] Overseas Territories (AC1000)

Post by Havard » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:33 pm

The Empire of Thyatis covers many territories. While much attention has been given to the mainland parts of the Empire, I feel like at least some of it is overseas territories haven't been given enough attention.

Below is a list of these territories. Go here for an annotated version of the list.
  • Surrounding Islands
    • Terentias (Grand Duchy of)
    • Borydos (Protectorate of)
    • Carytion (Protectorate of)
    • Sclaras (Protectorate of)
    • Mositius (Duchy of)
    • Acitus (County of)
  • The Isle of Dawn
    • Caerdwicca
    • Furmenglaive
    • Kendach
    • West Portage
    • Redstone
    • Westrouke & Newkirk
    • Shadow Coast
    • Helskir (Independent)
  • Ochalea
  • The Pearl Islands
    • Nuar
    • Dwair
    • Puir
    • Kuir
    • Tuar
  • Vacros and Cathos
    • Vacros
    • Cathos
  • The Hinterlands
    • Wolf-Meet
    • Horse-Meet
    • Lion-Meet
    • Raven-Meet
    • Raven Scarp
  • Norwold (Contested region)
I have left out Hattias, but included the "Surronding Islands" shown on this map, as well as the more distant colonies. Some of the regions listed above have already been explored in fan gazetteers, like the Norwold Realms, Ochalea and parts of the Isle of Dawn.

Question: Which of these other islands do you think deserve more exploration?

BTW: Let me know if anything is missing from my list! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Re: [Thyatis] Overseas Territories (AC1000)

Post by NPCDave » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:30 pm

I think the Pearl Islands definitely need more fleshing out, particularly post WotI when they have declared independence from Thyatis.

Have they regressed due to lack of trade with the rest of the Empire? Or have they improved their lot by reaching new markets? Have they fallen under sway of Ochalea or at least follow that nation's lead?

The only thing I can think of that you might also want to include are those tiny islands mentioned in X8 Drums on Fire Mountain. Since they sit right in the middle of Thyatian oceanic territory, I had their history include an under-strength Thyatian attempted conquest of the islands before they abandoned it due to indigenous resistance and disease.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:31 pm

Below is a list with some quick comments:
  • Near Islands
    • Terentias (Grand Duchy of) -- Pirates, Sailors and traders. 40% Minrothad elves. Contested by Minrothad (Mapping discussion here.)
    • Borydos (Protectorate of) -- Prison Colony. Dungeons?
    • Carytion (Protectorate of) -- Haven for the Wealthy
    • Sclaras (Protectorate of) -- 250 Powerful Retired Wizards
    • Mositius (Duchy of) --- Strange Volcanic Mists. False paradise.
    • Acitus (County of) -- Naval Ship Yards. 10% Sea Elves. Gnome community? Builders of "The Shark"?
  • The Isle of Dawn
    • Caerdwicca -- McRhomaag Clan Pirates. Klantyrans? See Caerdania Fan Gazetteer
    • Furmenglaive -- Gothic Castle, Vampires, Werewolves See Caerdania Fan Gazetteer
    • Kendach -- Thyatian Town...? Ruled by a Cleric of Halav. Summerhill Hounds could be set there.
    • West Portage -- City of Thieves
    • Redstone -- Army Controlled Province. "M-Irish"?
    • Westrouke & Newkirk -- Finnegan's watch, Castle Firestorm. M-Celts? Good home for Adventurers.
    • Helskir (Independent) -- "M-Danelaw" Settlement.
  • Ochalea -- See Fan Gazetteer
  • The Pearl Islands -- Connect with Sea People races. Underwater magic? Diver-Rangers?
    • Nuar -- Contains Seagirt. Main Thyatian base. Live Volcano is portal to Plane of Fire.
    • Dwair -- Has an active volcano also.
    • Puir -- Smallest island
    • Kuir
    • Tuar
  • Vacros and Cathos -- see placement article here.
    • Vacros
    • Cathos
  • The Hinterlands
    • Wolf-Meet -- Werewolves? Followers of Wogar?
    • Horse-Meet -- Centaurs?
    • Lion-Meet -- Simbasta / Rakasta?
    • Raven-Meet -- Kenku
    • Raven Scarp -- Thyatian base. Connect to Savage Tide Adventure Path.
  • Norwold (Contested region) -- See GazF series

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:37 pm

I posted my comments above before I noticed this.
NPCDave wrote:I think the Pearl Islands definitely need more fleshing out, particularly post WotI when they have declared independence from Thyatis.

Have they regressed due to lack of trade with the rest of the Empire? Or have they improved their lot by reaching new markets? Have they fallen under sway of Ochalea or at least follow that nation's lead?
Good point. From what I can tell there is almost no detail on any of the smaller islands and only very sparse detail on the largest island of Nuar even. The future of the Pearl Islands is worthy of speculation. Also, I would like to see each island fleshed out and more added to them in general. I recall some earlier dicussions about incorporating elements from the Sea People with the Pearl Islands. Maybe have Shark-kin and Aquarendi live there. Also, I think it would be interesting if the Nuari possessed some kind of water breathing magic, or perhaps a kind of Underwater Ranger Class could be available to them.
The only thing I can think of that you might also want to include are those tiny islands mentioned in X8 Drums on Fire Mountain. Since they sit right in the middle of Thyatian oceanic territory, I had their history include an under-strength Thyatian attempted conquest of the islands before they abandoned it due to indigenous resistance and disease.
Yeah, that is true. I think all of those islands were detailed in one of those Solo-Modules. I cannot recall which one at the moment?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:05 pm

XSOLO Lathan's Gold, which detailed the eastern Thanegioth Archipelago. The kara-kara islands are smaller and even further east.

There is a very brief description of a small village on the southern coastline of the Pearl Island Dwair which I provided in Threshold Magazine #4, in the Savage Tide adaptation. I grafted the events of the island of Renkrue from Dungeon #141 onto this Pearl Island village. Mostly I talk about giant draco lizard hunting and pearl diving in the article, because that is what my PCs did while they anchored there.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:27 am

Good ideas, all the above areas would need a bit more development.
I like also the suggestion that the Hinterlands may have rakasta, kenku/gyerians, centaurs and others :)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:02 am

This thread by Cynicalcynodon about Terentias has inspired me to return this thread. I added a few links and also added Vacros and Cathos from M1SOLO to the list. I am not sure if those two islands ever really belonged to the Empire, but if we go with LoZompatore's placement, they do seem to fall within the borders of what Thyatis has claimed as their territories.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:41 am

For some info on Caerdwicca and other areas of the Isle of Dawn, I wrote a few pieces about it in the old Tome of Mystara, in what was intended to be an ongoing series (that I never completed). Information from these articles, as well as maps I'd done of the areas helped- at least in part- to inform the Caerdania fan gazetteer that you linked to above.

Twilight of the Dawn, chapter 1
Twilight of the Dawn, chapter 2
Twilight of the Dawn, chapter 3
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:27 pm

I also gathered info about the Isle of Dawn and made maps for Threshold issue #11 http://pandius.com/Threshold_11.pdf in the meantime, also using Cthulhudrew material above and many others'.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:51 pm

great to develop these locations :geek: ...especially when somewhere in the future(as of yet unknown when--first Ethengar finishing, then Ylaruam(3 eras), Quedhar, and maybe Rockhome) I will make Thyatis and lands into a 1 mile hex map :mrgreen: ...so puhlease do continue ;)
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Return to “Mystara”