Eastern Savage Coast Map

Discuss Mystara's Savage Coast / Red Steel setting here.
The Book-House: Find Savage Coast products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, agathokles

Eastern Savage Coast Map

Postby Carillion » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:23 pm

Hello All,

My map of the Eastern part of the Savage Coast is now complete, and can be viewed here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1WEBq ... UxUHc/view

A few notes:

1) I've used Christian Constantin's "Greater Hule" material which can be viewed on the Vaults of Pandius, so Hule is larger than what is shown on the map in X5 (The Temple of Death);

2) I've used Bruce Heard's "Voyage of the Princess Ark" maps for this region instead of the Champions of Mystara map where there is any conflict;

3) The "Dry Flats" shown on the far Western part of the map is from the adventure "Tortles of the Purple Sage", which can be found in Dungeon Magazine issues 6 and 7;

4) I have included various geographical features from the maps issued with the "Savage Coast" AD&D boxed sets, although canon material from Mystara products will normally take precedent;

5) There is a significant issue with "The Great Escarpment", as what was shown in the Savage Coast boxed sets does not tie up with the map in X5. If we use X5 as our primary source, then the escarpment looks like this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1WEBq ... dlR1U/view

In my first map linked to in this post, I have joined up "The Great Escarpment", as it is actually shown as two separate escarpments in the AD&D source material, with the one on the right being given the name of "The Great Escarpment". This splitting up was only done in the AD&D Savage Coast boxed sets, and not in the "Princess Ark" series, and in my view, was a mistake. This is because the name no longer makes sense (i.e. "The Great Escarpment" is now two escarpments, neither of which are particularly large). I have therefore rejoined the two separate parts, in line with the intent of X5 to have one long escarpment fitting of its name. I would also be grateful for other people's views on this matter, as I'm interested in what other people may consider the best approach to be.

I'm now currently working on joining this map with the map of the Western half of the Savage Coast, which I completed previously:

http://www.pandius.com/Orcs_Head_Peninsula_8.jpg

In my view, having all of the Savage Coast on one map at 24 miles a hex should be a useful resource.

As usual, any comments welcome!

Carillion
Carillion
Ogre

Re: Eastern Savage Coast Map

Postby Robin » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:48 pm

Nice work Carillion...very nice indeed.
I wish I could bring maps that nice (instead of my shoddy(?) work with gazillion cut&pastes in Windows paint)....really thorfinn style...respect.
As for the Great Escarpment..I fully agree...One of the many flaws in canon sources now resolved. :D :)

And indeed a great resource. :ugeek:
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby LoZompatore » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:08 am

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Great work Carillon! Very useful, indeed!

I agree with your choice about the Great Escarpment: it should be greater than what is shown in the Savage Coast supplement, so I buy your rationale.

In my view, having all of the Savage Coast on one map at 24 miles a hex should be a useful resource.

Agree also on this: the whole area has been mapped several times on many official modules but a complete, encompassing view is still missing. Please, keep on this great work!
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Postby Morfie » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:58 am

This is awesome!

How did you make it? I have tried to use GIMP before, but could not get the hang of rivers or plateaus.. or even match scans due to hex line width issues..
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby Carillion » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:01 pm

Robin, LoZompatore & Morfie

Thanks for the positive feedback! I'll therefore keep the Great Escarpment as I've currently drawn it for the combination map I'm now working on (i.e. I won't be splitting it up as it is shown in the AD&D boxed sets).

I wish I could bring maps that nice (instead of my shoddy(?) work with gazillion cut&pastes in Windows paint)

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself there Robin! On the Great Pass map you did recently, you came up with a few of your own hex symbols to denote certain types of terrain, which was impressive.

How did you make it? I have tried to use GIMP before, but could not get the hang of rivers or plateaus

I did the rivers and plateaus by hand! I believe there is a way to use scripts to generate them in GIMP maps, but that's all a bit above my head, so I leave stuff like that to software wizards like Thorf. I do magnify the map up by 400% when drawing them by hand, which makes things a lot easier. There is also a very useful function within GIMP which will draw a straight line from two points placed on the map, which I use to draw the national borders and the actual map border itself. You can also cut and paste pdf documents into GIMP, which is how I got the dragon heads at the top of the map. Once they have been inserted into the xcf file (the format GIMP uses), you can then scale down the size of the pdf to fit it how you want into the rest of the map.

I hope that helps!
Carillion
Ogre

Postby julius_cleaver » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:15 pm

I really like the style and border you have created for your maps Carillion. They really stood out in your Great Waste map(s). As good a quality as Thorfinn too!
It's about as gothic as you can get with anthropomorphic beavers.

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog
julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Postby Kilr Kowalski » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:30 am

Sorry to do this Carillion, I love your maps but I noted a typographical error in the Key of your Eastern Savage coast Map- It should read Robrenn instead of Bellayne I think..

The good news is that I was using it when I found it.

Kilr
Kilr Kowalski
Gnoll

Postby Carillion » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:45 am

Hello Kilr,

Good spot! Your timing couldn't have been better as well, as I was just about to share the Savage Coast combination map I've just completed when I read your comment and was able to correct the error before doing so!

Here is my newly completed combination map of the Savage Coast:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1WEBq ... FnUUk/view

I'll also correct the map you referred to over the next few days, as it shouldn't take long to do, and I'll let you know once I've uploaded it.

Thanks again for pointing out the error.

Regards,

Carillion
Carillion
Ogre

Postby Kilr Kowalski » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:23 pm

Well that is good news!

The map really is a thing of beauty.

I think I am piecing together the purpose of your project.

Well done.

Kilr
Kilr Kowalski
Gnoll

Return to Savage Coast