1 Mile Hex Mapping

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Re: 1 Mile Hex Mapping

Postby Thorf » Wed May 11, 2016 8:54 am

Robin,

Great work! I don't have time to read in detail just now, but your work on rivers and altitude looks very helpful.

Regarding the Mucks — those aren't waterfalls but rather rapids, aren't they?
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Robin » Wed May 11, 2016 9:03 am

Thorf wrote:Robin,

Great work! I don't have time to read in detail just now, but your work on rivers and altitude looks very helpful.

Regarding the Mucks — those aren't waterfalls but rather rapids, aren't they?

Thanx, and that from the great Master himself..wow :oops: :D

Take your time, any input is welcome.

Waterfall symbols as far as i know; 3 lines are waterfalls, two and 1 are rapids(i think they differ in intensity only.)

As to the Mucks; The waterfal/rapids symbol was not in the first maps of this region. And, (and that seems the most prominentt reason to me) rapids and waterfalls need altitude, swamps are near to horizontal water deposits, where plantlife is abundant. And they are sloping only slightly over greater distances.
A swamp "rapid" would be less than a foot high or it alters the region to drier forms like grassland (sorry, as former ecology/biology/physics and chemistry teacher I know this), the longer this lasts the larger this drying out takes, and the greater the effect....up to several tens of miles away.
As such I deemed it a flaw that crept in the canon maps sometimes.

As for the magic Reverse gravity section of the Streel River. This is based on Baba Yaga tales, and the Physical effect of a wool drawing water up, (and then a permanent, magical version of course, with greater power and indestructability). On the map this is a bleu river with a pink line , to distinguish the normal and magic rivers (pink is the color of magic on my maps).
All other rivers are normal and natural, they flow downstream with gravity.

The Krandai river in Ethengar has also some minor but logical changes, which will soon be found in my blog (Voyage of the Discovery).
Last edited by Robin on Sat May 21, 2016 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Gecko » Wed May 11, 2016 10:18 am

Robin wrote:@Gecko
Question; These "Tier", are those the villages, is that how humanoids name"village"?

no, I believe "Tier" translates to "Rangen" in Dutch.

This is a relative ranking of the Hordes- interms of size, power, and importance

Then where is 1st Tier?

1st Tier is that of the Tribal chief's horde, ie the Bone Crushers in Ogremoor, the Yellow Eyes in Bugburbia, The Drippen' Blades in Red Orcland, etc., etc.

or does that mean something else? then what?
And do they indeed name their village to their horde?

They might use the individual clan names, but probably not the horde name, if they bother to name it at all - they might just call it "home" or "village" or "settlement" or similar.

I can't imagine a village or such named "bloody Hands" for example...Maybe a translation in Tharian would do.

Mainly I thought these might be useful as map labels. Is this a map for humanoids by humanoids? or of the broken lands by and for outsiders (be it Darokinian caravans, or simply for Dungeon Masters)?

For the specific "Bloody Hands" example, that's a Troll Horde. Do Trolls bother to assign placenames to lots of places (ie "Robin's clearing"), or is it just "the flat place by that big boulder where I ate a deer that one time... now I hungry for deer meat..." :)

However Your idea og Ogre tongue is very interesting (indeed) i just read Orcs of Thar, and they seem to use one prime tongue (maybe each race also has their own as extra), and i think that tongue is used for naming
As that tongue is based on Thyatian, in some degenerate way, and Thyatian = English, these names would as such resemble (maybe corrupted) english words, or is tharian thus changed that it holds less resenblance.

The Ogres of Ogremoor know both Tharian "common" and their own language. Their language, and culture (such as it is) is heavily influenced by that of Sind. If I was making the map I would just put the names in English, but I'm not-- you are the one putting in the hours upon hours of work, and from your Canolbarth map I know that you like to put them in a "local" language (ie Elvish on your Canolbarth map) so I thought I would try to help provide such "color" (especially since I already had those names translated for a different project - All I had to do was copy-paste ;) )
Gecko
Storm Giant

Postby Robin » Wed May 11, 2016 12:44 pm

Gecko wrote: Mainly I thought these might be useful as map labels. Is this a map for humanoids by humanoids? or of the broken lands by and for outsiders (be it Darokinian caravans, or simply for Dungeon Masters)?

I think/feel it is more or less a map by outsiders, with the most used names/language...as travellers then might be able to truly recognize where they are. A Translation to Thyatian/English would be like the Canolbarth map supplied extra.

As map labels; :geek: hmmm. :? ..then I have to know where these minor hordes especially roam...and...if the roam under the "flag"of the greater hordes...ie usng the same territory, or is there some sort of nutual respect/recognition to hordes and their territory.? And how much area they might claim.
Gecko wrote: For the specific "Bloody Hands" example, that's a Troll Horde. Do Trolls bother to assign placenames to lots of places (ie "Robin's clearing"), or is it just "the flat place by that big boulder where I ate a deer that one time... now I hungry for deer meat..." :)

Lol :halo: ...that would fill the map ..then no names on the Troll side (except Tharian Names of course) woud be better

Gecko wrote: The Ogres of Ogremoor know both Tharian "common" and their own language. Their language, and culture (such as it is) is heavily influenced by that of Sind. If I was making the map I would just put the names in English, but I'm not-- you are the one putting in the hours upon hours of work, and from your Canolbarth map I know that you like to put them in a "local" language (ie Elvish on your Canolbarth map) so I thought I would try to help provide such "color" (especially since I already had those names translated for a different project - All I had to do was copy-paste ;) )

Your help is more than welcome :lol:
. As far as I know/feel there are several Ogrish locations that may carry an Ogrish/sindhi name. So you're very welcome to supply these. (Villages, specific locations, etc)
However; I do need the same with the other regions; The orcs would use Tharian, but the Kobolds, The Bugbears, The Gnolls, The Goblins would probably use their own tongue.
And....not only do I not have the faintest idea how many and if its size, population centers exist for each humanoid tribe in a specific reggion.
Kobolds I assume use mostly caves, Goblinoids I havent the faintest idea. Ogres seem to have cities, trolls nothing, maybe only a congregation area, or semireligious locations, Gnolls I assume have Nithian knowledge so could rely upon stone villages but canon i also see them having nothing but a lair. There is much information missing in my opinion in this matter, and I could use any help in this.
Especially Lists of villages(names, construction sort, general location,) would be extremely welcome.
Geomorfologically and socioregional I can place them on the map. (landscape and use create actual borders, locations, of which water is the most dominant social factor in locations.)
So if you indeed have a list of Ogrish location names...gimme gimme :lol:
And if others have similar names...(in whatever language---but then please with translation) of the other tribes...please help me out.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Gecko » Wed May 11, 2016 7:21 pm

Robin wrote:I think/feel it is more or less a map by outsiders, with the most used names/language...as travellers then might be able to truly recognize where they are. A Translation to Thyatian/English would be like the Canolbarth map supplied extra.

wait, are you saying that there is a version of your Canolbarth map in English (instead of in Elvish)? I'd be very interested in that....

As map labels; :geek: hmmm. :? ..then I have to know where these minor hordes especially roam...and...if the roam under the "flag"of the greater hordes...ie usng the same territory, or is there some sort of nutual respect/recognition to hordes and their territory.? And how much area they might claim.

They are all, at least nominally, under the Tribe authority, not independent. Perhaps semi-independent in some cases, though.

Gecko wrote: For the specific "Bloody Hands" example, that's a Troll Horde. Do Trolls bother to assign placenames to lots of places (ie "Robin's clearing"), or is it just "the flat place by that big boulder where I ate a deer that one time... now I hungry for deer meat..." :)

Lol :halo: ...that would fill the map ..then no names on the Troll side (except Tharian Names of course) woud be better

:lol: yeah :halo: (unless you want their places on this list, or their language is agglutinative, both of which I severely doubt)

As far as I know/feel there are several Ogrish locations that may carry an Ogrish/sindhi name. So you're very welcome to supply these. (Villages, specific locations, etc)
However; I do need the same with the other regions; The orcs would use Tharian, but the Kobolds, The Bugbears, The Gnolls, The Goblins would probably use their own tongue.

I would have to re-read the Gaz, but I figure the Ogre's and the Hobgoblins are the most linguistically independent. (while they know Tharian common, they much prefer their own languages)

And....not only do I not have the faintest idea how many and if its size, population centers exist for each humanoid tribe in a specific reggion.

Offhand, I figure each Tribe has 5-10 Significant (Significant = Tier 4 or 3 or above) Hordes, each Horde 1-10 Clans (typically 4), each Clan 1, or maybe sometimes 2, settlements, sometimes with additional outposts/lookouts/etc.
Gecko
Storm Giant

Postby Robin » Fri May 13, 2016 10:03 am

Gecko wrote:wait, are you saying that there is a version of your Canolbarth map in English (instead of in Elvish)? I'd be very interested in that...
Actually, I tried to make initially an Elven and English map seperately, but the work grew ...ahem ...a slight bit out of hand. two huge maps was toooo much for me. The current map has the English/Elvish Translation on the Sidebar...and explanations in this topic earlier. I believe Pandius has collected them too, but am unaware Shawn has updated the map. So here the most recent link on my Deviantart page
http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/art/Alfheim-1-Mile-583357686 The green arrow/download button to the right enables you to download at best results. Have fun.
They are all, at least nominally, under the Tribe authority, not independent. Perhaps semi-independent in some cases, though.

So, then it is best to only use the Tribes borders, and the independent, or semi-independent hordes only. The question the remains; Which hordes and where, and how much terrain.
:lol: yeah :halo: (unless you want their places on this list, or their language is agglutinative, both of which I severely doubt)

That area will thus carry only a few Tharian names, as according only trolls go their and rarely others..probably in fear of being gobbled down :o ) I think these will then be general names only. I've re-read the Tharian Soldiers handbook from the Gazetteer, and it seels a vocal simplified(probably due their teeth) version of English, even in writing. but very similar. That will be fun, where are my fangs Image

I would have to re-read the Gaz, but I figure the Ogre's and the Hobgoblins are the most linguistically independent. (while they know Tharian common, they much prefer their own languages)

That simplifies it at best ..Thus most Tharian/English...and Ogrish ( your sort of Hindi-Urdu / Persian mix), and Gnollish (I seem to think an Egyptian version would fit best, as seen their Nithian heritage.So Coptic (according Wikipedia) would be best ..maybe gobbled down a bit, due their canine mouth/teeth/tongue. I think, the voice would be more ss use, simplified due age alterations (hell it is 1000 years ago) but mainly remain similar as Nithian, as German and Dutch are similar, yet different.
http://www.lingodict.com/coptic-dictionary-and-translator/

Offhand, I figure each Tribe has 5-10 Significant (Significant = Tier 4 or 3 or above) Hordes, each Horde 1-10 Clans (typically 4), each Clan 1, or maybe sometimes 2, settlements, sometimes with additional outposts/lookouts/etc.

8 tribes, averagely 7 hordes, = averagely 7x5 clans= 35 to 70 settlements...averagely...
Now the locations ;) and names (often depending on location by language using race).
Thanx for the Help Geccko
I name a Gnoll town in your respect ; Ahtumi (named after lizard god Atum----on Mystara probably a Gecko lizard from one of the Mogreth Era's who was important as a sage or even trying to become immortal --succesful or not,,,,he be forgotten now, but he is rememberd in history and word apparently)
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Sat May 14, 2016 7:50 pm

My research of the Broken Lands History gave me much information.

http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/2016 ... overy.html

I want to Thank John Calvin and Sturm for their awesome maps, these were of great help in creating the past and development of the areas.

The story in the blog as Mergrath the Earth Elementalist explains, also give many clues for actions in the neighboring regions.
Why did humanoids attack, why was there low produce in Darokin, why came several cultural migration to be,
etc etc
All this makes the world Mystara a more real place.
Where logic dictates this strange worl, and Mystara dictates Logic.

I will continue with this map of the Broken Lands, slowly...as I am Also creating other maps for you in my blog of Mystara which you will find somewhere in the nearby future in the Voyage of the Discovery.

Here the latest update of this map (I had to remove several older version as storage space is limited on Stash)
Latest Update West
http://sta.sh/0cuqvfl3o3s
Latest Update East
http://sta.sh/0mb0ah6m1cv

Rests only my continued question; Any help and input of the region will help making the 1 mile hex map of the Broken Lands more complete.
I truly hope Micky returns, as his input in Erewan and Belcadiz would be of Great Help.
So If you know something of the Broken Lands, Canon, Fanon, or self that can be of use,...inform me here.
Last edited by Robin on Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Mon May 16, 2016 12:27 am

CANOLBARTH FOREST
Upon some remarks of download issues due the sheer size of the Canolbarth map I enabled for your convieniancy the possibility to download it in halves.

Also as per 16-05-2016 I have Updated map with addition of Geoff Gander's Barrowfields.
This was the first time I noticed this belonging to Darokin/Inlashar, so I had to put it in :P ;P
Excellent work Geoff btw. :mrgreen: Hope you like your work infused in the Great map
(I know you are here on Piazza but I don't know your alias :oops: :evil: )

(Until this line of text dissapears...only the Half maps have this update)

There is some overlap, if you want to fix both halves together
The Eastern Half is here. http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/art/Alfheim-1-Mile-East-609247888
The Western Half is here http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/art/alfheim-1-milewest-Elfish-609246847
Last edited by Robin on Mon May 30, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Sir Rye's Folly

Postby Gecko » Tue May 17, 2016 9:17 am

I have a location you could add, but I don't have time to do a full write-up at the present (and probably won't for some time).

"Sir Rye's Folly" marked as a ruined keep or ruinud tower symbol, placed one day's caravan journey inside the broken lands, coming from Corunglain, along one of the trails (probably the Glantri one), preferably still within Red orcland territory.

Full story will tie in with the an aspect of the darokin trade trails which I never thought was right, the decline of the Order of the Road, the lack of M-Caravanserai's, a scheming Hin, and why the ruins are said to be the most booby-trapped place in all of the known world! I just hope I find time to sit down and type it all up before I forget the details that I worked out in my head.
Gecko
Storm Giant

Postby Robin » Tue May 17, 2016 12:03 pm

BROKEN LANDS
Nice....always welcome

You say one day's Journey INSIDE the Broken Lands (thus the Darokin section of the trip is NOT counted) Yet You say also preferrably still within Read Orclands, as thus I assume yoou have greater distance coverage in your mind.
Speed is however greatly impeded by territory, as following Canon rules I have the following data'
Ok caravans move at an average speed of 90'/30' , that is on an 8 hour day schedule 27 miles a day on Trails and Roads. 18 miles, on clear, cities, grassland, 12 on Hils, Broken Lands, Forests, Desert, Snow, Mud, and 9 on Mountain, Ice, Glacier, Swamp, and Jungle
1 mile will be covered thus in 1 Turn 8 minutes on Trails and Roads. 2 Turns and 1 minute on clear, cities, grassland, 4 Turns on Hils, Broken Lands, Forests, Desert, Snow, Mud,Mountain Trails and 5 Turns and 4 minutes on Mountain, Ice, Glacier, Swamp, and Jungle
Lets include the possibility they prefer a forced march (thus 50% extra) Which does Not trigger fatigue on Roads for 2 days and on trails for 1 day.

We follow your Glantri Target Idea of 1 day on the Broken Lands map; As thus we have a total distance on the Glantrial Trail of 12 Hours Forced or 8 hours normal
1 Turn 8 minutes for each mile on this trail in broken lands. The first section of about 12 miles to the river crossing is covered in 12 Turns 96 minutes = 3 hours 3 Turns and 6 minutes. The about one and a half mile wide wadi crossing over the river is Broken Lands as there is no bridge) will take 6 Turns, Then Continuing the trail 6 miles through Broken Lands covered in 6 Turns 48 minutes (1 Hour 48 Minutes) Then entering the mountain trail which increases the chance of Mishaps (but for convieniance sake assume they have not) .
They havenow travelled a total of 7 Hours 1 Turns 8 minutes. So on normal speed they have about 5 Turns left, if forced march(12 Hours) 4 hours and 4 Turns to reach your mentioned tower. As thus the tower will be between 1 mile and a few hundred yards (at the mountain trail speed of 4 Turns/mile) or 9 miles at forced rate.
As thus we have the average locations of this tower/keep.(light green 1 mile, dark Green Forced march) which somewhere here;http://oi63.tinypic.com/2drtp4y.jpg
Of course can the tower be in between these locations..
So what do you think is best?? Or Do you think the distance must be more than 1 day and somewhere in the Red Orc Lands.
As You can see travelling through the Broken Lands takes much time. Try using the same calculation if you have an average location to calculate travel time to that tower. The first day is already done by me ..lol

Btw did you know that in earlier times distance was NOT covered in miles but in Hours to go...This was the popular use for normal people, official documents and maps held as thus BOTH measurements, miles(or KM, Meters, Stonethrows, Bowshots) AND miles to go(ofen on horse, wagon or foot). I still have a few maps of that bygone time (and that was not sooo long ago (1930 about). Think about that.
Last edited by Robin on Mon May 30, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Gecko » Tue May 17, 2016 4:58 pm

hmmm.... I was afraid it might work out to be something like that, but I don't think it is in Ogremoor (isn't the Ogremoor side of the river cliffs?). What about counting from leaving Corunglain, would that put it within Red Orcland (after-all, I doubt caravans would camp at the boundary). If not, maybe the other trail would work (hopefully still Red Orcland, but Kolland could work as well - actually the booby trap part might fit better in Kolland*)

*= actually that gives me another idea, when did Dodge Kol come to power? maybe I could tie his rise to power into the story.
Gecko
Storm Giant

Postby Robin » Tue May 17, 2016 10:14 pm

BROKEN LANDS
indeed that side belongs to Ogremoor, although I don't think, the ogres would prefer to hold land thus extensively east, especially next to trolls, they don't like,
if it is the red orc lands you'd prefer the tower to be, simply, everything between the two rivers is red orc land.
as thus, if you want it 1 day from corunglain, yoour tower could be situated next to the river wadi (wadeable place instead of bridge) and as thus its origin was to keep that strategic position safe..or at least trying too...
as i surmise from what you said, it is now a ruin, so they failed...for whatever reason,

your other idea, kolland could functtion well, maybe better indeed
if you look upon the Eastern Half of the map.you see again a rivercrossing by using a wadi, rougly at the same lateral height. but as this trail, is a road at the beginning and only broken lands further, the tower could be placed at the hex right of the low rapids (1 line) or further north, at the sudden bend in the trail 5 miles left of that tarpit,
i personally think kobolds as the masters of traps and trickery...my players have a saying...never underestimate a kobold....or 'ohno,...kobolds, prepare healing and raise dead spelss for the thief fellows, come on thief...its your job......'but i don't want to ;s'
as thus that tower could have been an attemp at controlling the broken lands safety against humanoids in benefit for the caravans, and failed at it...nice story background, or a typical mage tower, but forgotten, abandoned , overrun, or magic mishaps,. if such i would place one or more minor magic locations nearby....maybe i would anyhow ;),,,,like crystals, or an energy field like i've done earlier on my maps....

if that's you idea, or different inform me with details , and i place it...that region is as yet completely undeveloped so any viable input is welcome
Last edited by Robin on Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Thu May 19, 2016 2:25 pm

BROKEN LANDS
The newer editions thus far;
There is some overlap, if you want to fix both halves together
Latest Update West
http://sta.sh/0cuqvfl3o3s
Latest Update East
http://sta.sh/0mb0ah6m1cv
(if there is just a white field clic on it, deviantart gives problems sometimes)

I have worked out, the Valley of Khyr, the residential area of the Faenare as suggested earlier.
Bagni's Maw(Devil's Throat) is inserted, and the river altitudes have been worked out.

Some more filling in uncovered hexes

Waiting for Micky to fill in the Glantrian area, or thinking doing it myself according the writen information...still hoping to receive a reaction from him on this. ;)

Pondering about the old vesubian river that flowed more west around the area before the Boken Lands came to be. Think I lift the area north of yak;s spur up, slant it, and thus reverse the river flow somehow. that the same river goes the other way. (Its humanoid translated name thus could be "the river that returned")
As this river was cut in two /blocked by the rising of Yak's spur, a dried riverbed must exist even high up in the mountain.
I kerep thinking making this a golden bedding, where lots of gold can be found somewhere in the future.
The lower darokin part thus could (as a creek no more river) slither forth into the old riverbed unto Caldenfield, were only traces of this gold could be found.

One way or another. Trollhattan is doomed in the future. As even slowly water seeps in, from the hills and the river,bringing forth clogging materials like and, rocks, plants, thus blocking water further going down, (and at the same time the Shadow Elves blocking several lava ways thus blocking it from below too) this valley will eventually be flooded and become a 600'deep lake.
When?
I don't know, it could be 1 to 4 centuries from 1000AC. at least the first decades not much difference will be, but then suddenly through erosion the water will rush in faster and faster (at the same time the Vesubian will reduce flow, or even stop) When finally Trollhattan is filled, the Vesubian will resume its former course, while continuing holding the lake on level.
Maybe I pop in a 8 mile future version of this area as such.

And of course...more ideas are welcome...;)
Last edited by Robin on Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Thu May 19, 2016 7:20 pm

Gecko wrote:
*= actually that gives me another idea, when did Dodge Kol come to power? maybe I could tie his rise to power into the story.

From Gaz 10 page 13; I had to check it out; Kol is a descendant of the Ancient Kol Dynasty, a family of kobold monarchs who ruled over this region of the Broken Lands and gave it the Name Kolland.
The great Ancestor Skoldar was slave buffoon to an thyatian prefect, hence the thin line of civilization the kobolds seem to have. Kolland is a kobold-sized thyatis with an imperial arrogance.
Constantin the l\atest of the Kols, effectively pacified the last kobold horde, and named himself the High Doige, or judge-emperor of Kol.
Constantin inherited his power from his parents, and is no hero but a politician.
He is middle-aged, so has some decades left in himself.

As thus I surmise that he inherited his title at adult age (somewhere around 17). From other sources I learned he has threee daughters he recognizes as his, and a bastard sun he does NOT recognize as his, although everybody knows it) They are all child or adolescent at best.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Gecko » Fri May 20, 2016 9:30 am

Robin wrote:
Gecko wrote:

Constantin inherited his power from his parents

ok, so the Dodge Kol connection is out.

I'll have to come back and look closer at the placements you mentioned, though off hand, by the "ford" (I think you confused that word with "wadi") sounds good.

Unfortunately I'm not going to have much internet time in the next several days, maybe weeks.

before I go offline, I just want to point out I don't agree with what you have for eastern Ogremoor, the Gaz say's:
Gaz 10, page 8 wrote: The Vesubia River forms the eastern tribal boundary. Altitude falls sharply, in a series of vertiginous cliffs.
Gecko
Storm Giant

Postby Robin » Fri May 20, 2016 11:22 am

BROKEN LANDS
Yes Wadi and ford are the same (wadeable place in river).
Ok i'll set a tower/keep symbol there. in the Kolland region.

Of course; the current Vesubian, you're absolutely right. I used this in the map ;)
However, as per 2300 BC map , the Old Vesubian river, (and that was the one I was pointing at ;) ) curved around the area of the current broken lands, through the region that later will be uplifted in the Yak's spur mountain.
My Idea is thus that not only the mountain is uplifted, but the northern area above the Yak's spur, the broken lands section and hills too. In effect reversing the flow of the river. At first this will cause drought, in the riverbed, but when later everything settles, collected rain/snow causes new streams/brooks, and most of them on that side would come together, creating a new stream (maybe not a treu river, but certainly bigger than a brook/creek, especially more north) that uses again the old uplifted riverbed. This stream would thus flow north ending in the new Vesubian river.
Hence I would let Humanoids name this minor river; "The River that returned".
On the Map you see the bleu line of the Old river as from the 2300 BC map.From this I have to work out from.

Good luck with your internet issues, hope to see you back soon. I always like your comments/ideas.

And..of course other please give me your ideas, comments, sugggestions, etc so this map will become great ;)
Last edited by Robin on Mon May 30, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri May 20, 2016 5:45 pm

Robin wrote:Upon some remarks of download issues due the sheer size of the Canolbarth map I enabled for your convieniancy the possibility to download it in halves.

Also as per 16-05-2016 I have Updated map with addition of Geoff Gander's Barrowfields.
This was the first time I noticed this belonging to Darokin/Inlashar, so I had to put it in :P ;P
Excellent work Geoff btw. :mrgreen: Hope you like your work infused in the Great map
(I know you are here on Piazza but I don't know your alias :oops: :evil: )

That would be me. ;)
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Robin » Sat May 21, 2016 12:37 am

Seer of Yhog wrote:That would be me. ;)

BROKEN LANDS
Nice to know that it is you. :lol:
Respect for all done on Darokin. and much of your other works. :ugeek:
As Darokin is largely filled with your idea (like the Barrowfields...hope you like how I infused it in the Canolbarth 1 mile map) I hope you could help me also with more information to fill the map. I know it is only the Northern section, from Fort Nell to Corunglain, But It could be filled with way more detail. :mrgreen:

Just tell me your ideas/locations, and I make something on the map from it.
The same I hope to do with the Glantrian side and Micky...
Last edited by Robin on Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Sat May 21, 2016 11:52 am

BROKEN LANDS
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15023&start=25#p176436I readjusted and expanded some of the data collected and merged in my post of 7 may .

Some other Information I collected about the Northern region Of Darokin
The party trekked north and got lost in the mountains north of Rennydale for 3 days when Arimil lost the trail. Their rations will be running low on the return. After passing the Bladed Cathedral, the site of the 13 Witch Knights of Ogremoor and the Necropolis of Soot, the city of the dead, the party arrived at a small shrine
Source;
http://joe.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/traveling-north?campaign_id=joe
This is very interesting These 4 location are encountered by going North into the Yak's spur mountains (aka Ogremoor) using simple trails for 3 days. estimating their speed to a speed of 5 turns 4 minutes/mile and as adventurers active a 10 hours(60 Turns) a day, the distance covered would be near to 30 miles. From there these locations could be met in a linear line of travel(or do I read this wrong and are these locations covered within this distance in a linear pattern, instead beyond???...could someone clarify this for me...(my english falters here :oops: ) .

Ardelphia - Ruins in Darokin
Ardelphia, Borderland - A Borderland of Darokin
Source Mystara Wiki
As borderland, there will be enough farms, but also threat locations (humanoids)

846 AC – “846 AC: Orc horde from the Broken Lands loots Ardelphia, utterly destroying the city.” (GAZ11 page 33/34)
Trouble with the orcs was at a minimum during this time, with one notable exception. The northern town of Ardelphia was looted and leveled in 846 by a huge army of orcs crossing the border from the Broken Iands. Fortunately, the orcs quickly fell to bickering among
themselves over the booty, and the army disbanded and returned home without causing any more damage.
There are currently some humanoids operating from these ruins, as several bandits have the burned ruins as their hiding place, and a few normal people seem to have found a niche in this region to survive

As thus I can place Humanoids/bandit lairs nearby

On the topic of megadungeons, another possible idea occurred to me last night (apologies if it's been mentioned before, though I didn't see it offhand): Ardelphia, in Darokin.
It has potential to be a megadungeon, or at least the center of a megadungeon sort of campaign. On the first level, you've got the ruins of the city up above, which would populated by all sorts of humanoids, monsters, and bandits. Beneath that, you could have the city's old sewer/drainage systems, possibly even some former areas of the city that had been built over during the centuries of Ardelphia's growth. Beneath that, you'd have caverns linking to the Broken Lands and Glantri, populated by humanoids, and even further, you'd have the Shadow Elf caverns.
I've long thought that a "reclaiming Ardelphia" sort of campaign or mini-campaign would be cool (and even alluded to it in one of the Almanacs). Given what is now known about Ardelphia, specifically that it was overrun from below, any reclamation would have to take steps to accomodate that possibility this time around- which would require anything from clearing out and setting up permanent underground strongholds at strategic cavern points, to possibly allying with shadow elves (who are in a strange "enemy or ally?" status post-WotI and their "reveal" to the world) to keep out humanoid incursions. Or else getting dwarvish allies to set up below, etc.
by cthulhudrew
Following this there must be several Humanoid lairs/villages in this general region. Also tunnels.

The City of Ardelphia was a great metropolis of multiculturalism compared to the mud hole of Braejr.
Source
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2pv0x?mystara-fiction-SuLus
Don't know yet what I can use from this 500AC statement, but it feels it could hold clues.
Last edited by Robin on Mon May 30, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Sat May 21, 2016 3:04 pm

BROKEN LANDS
Decades and decades ago, a young boy Ludus von HovenImageplayed with barrels in Trintan. When he climbed into one, the barrel toppled and rolled into the Vesubian, with the Boy in it.
There was no boom blocking traffic at that time, so the barrel flowed down the Vesubian, through the Broken Lands.
The boy survived after travelling a week through the wild waters, but had endured an awesome journey.
As an adult he became a great composer.
The best known is his representation of his travel along the Vesubian river.
Named "Symphony of a Rhapsody on the Vesubia"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

an idea I got when drawing the Vesubian river and listening the music of Beethoven's 5th. :ugeek: :mrgreen:
I found it very fitting.
The music translates into the waterfals, the dangers, the rapids, the gentler areas, and the arrival in the Streel Plain north of Corunglain.
Last edited by Robin on Mon May 30, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Mon May 23, 2016 11:06 pm

BROKEN LANDS
Although I am a bit sad and depressed, as my 29 years old Goldfish Pixy died, I still worked more on the Broken Lands map.

The Eastern section now bears more detail.

What have I done. In Glntri, the Fort Satolas was according the 2400 BC maps a mountain region with a Glacier. in 1700 this mountain collapsed, and later greatly eroded. Lots of this debris coats the former Erewan Lake that drained when the Vs=esubian finally broke through the Mountains, or it was deposited in Lake Grondheim, that later expanded rapidly and was drained magically (explanation soon on my blog ;) )
Hobgobland was a forested region, and although most of these trees perished by the acid effects of the volcanoes, nature is very resiliebnt, and new trees sprung up on any fertile place...ie where water is.
The Mucks became much more dirty and mucky, ie. lots of mud, and other variants of swampy region.
Traces of Blackmoors past can be found in sunken ships on Lake Anur (aka Grondheim Lake) and resurfaced when that emptied. Now these artifacts of a forgotten past rust away.
Yellow orkia has some more detail, but like Gnollistan, more work needs to done.
The eastern section between Darokin (Black Hills) and Ethengar, is now almost finished,.
I am still not very content with the size of the Plateaux of the Comebackinn.That i will change later
Villages and other settlements have to be set and named.
Further about Natoka's Grave...this is NOT, like what many think due the official map, it is actually a mud pit in Redorcland at 2500'depth of the bottom. The southern mountain, what many thought was Natoka's grave, is much higher, as is Red orc land itself.
Further I brought much more effects of nature in
More will come, but it has to stay balanced (as seen ecologically AND cannonically).

Take a look at the eastern map, and tell me anything you can add (yes, yes, yes :lol: ) or have to comment.
It is still not ready, but waaaay further than earlier. if you see a while field instead the map, just click on it and it will come forth.
http://sta.sh/01rvs0k6e1uh

And for those interested this is my work legend.
http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/art/Legend-610520076

And for any, yes any...input you can give on anything I could use on the Broken Lands, please,.please inform me... :mrgreen:
I need more input :ugeek:
Last edited by Robin on Mon May 30, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Thu May 26, 2016 11:47 am

I still need help and input from you all. :lol:

Many silent viewers here, but please do share your thoughts about this.
Then the total result will reflect this, and give a way better map.

Any input about the Broken Lands will do

A girl can't do it all alone :roll: ^_^ wink wink
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Sun May 29, 2016 12:42 pm

BROKEN LANDS
I still hope to get more input from all of you guys..I never expected to get almost no responses, ideas, suggestions.
So please do.

The latest Update of the Eastern map...still much to do
http://sta.sh/01vyni27wqx4

Inspired partially by this linkhttp://www.yourdailymedia.com/post/terrifying-lake-turns-birds-into-statues/
I placed this in the large Ash valley.

Further I placed several settlements of various races, fleshed out Akkila's Throne,
The settlements will be worked out more (style by race for example) maybe here, maybe in my blog (but then later).

I named the 3 volcanoes; The Large ash volcano Kalazyrd, the twin volcanoes Gvozdenžuba and Ježibaba (named after persona connected with Baba Yaga;...this has to do with the strange things happening here...see later in my Blog...sorry ;) )

I also placed more creeks and brooks, and some sociological use of ground (for example the bare ground in Glantri touching Bugburbia; not only is this a less populated region, a large open field with a small river as barrier would suffice as a great benefit against invading bugbears...who as such refrain from doing this often, as their losses became too high.

And I placed several altitudes,

As thus the region becomes much more threedimensional
I can feel the stress on the merchants heading to Ethengar, as I view the track; along rivers, dead forests, clifflike paths, destroyed mountains, up, and down great altitudes, and even tunneling through the top of a mountain, viewing a plain of ash and death, along a wide river/canyon-like valley
http://oi66.tinypic.com/1ox5pj.jpg

Further I fleshed out the former southern point of the collossus mountains that crashed, eroded. and became partially used ( trails pass the region , but are only used by patrolls or merchants returning from Glantri intending to trade in Ethengar or further North or East, and thus bypassing the Broken Lands...not a true safe route, but safer than the Broken Lands itself.
More minor details I also Placed.
Look at them and share me your thoughts on it..
Let me know what you can help me with..please
Last edited by Robin on Mon May 30, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Kilr Kowalski » Mon May 30, 2016 6:16 am

Hi Robin
I note the Baba Yaga has influenced the flow of the river and I suppose this may also be relate to the 1st ed AD&D Baba Yaga- and her hut which is an artefact in that edition.

So if Baba Yaga is Mystaran, and can make artefacts, was she on the path to immortality?

Would her magic for the river count as immortal magic or does the river change direction when the magic fails?

Kilr
Kilr Kowalski
Gnoll

Postby Robin » Mon May 30, 2016 10:24 am

Streel River
Kilr Kowalski wrote:Hi Robin
I note the Baba Yaga has influenced the flow of the river and I suppose this may also be relate to the 1st ed AD&D Baba Yaga- and her hut which is an artefact in that edition.

So if Baba Yaga is Mystaran, and can make artefacts, was she on the path to immortality?

Would her magic for the river count as immortal magic or does the river change direction when the magic fails?

Kilr

Thanx for the reaction Kilr :lol:

I am writing a historic saga line for Baba Yaga on Mystara. I use the Hut as presented as an adventure in the older Dragon Magazine #83 (beautifully redrawn in Dungeon 196) and with other information from tsr09471 The Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga but then I revised it to Mystara, and basic D&D rules/monsters I prefer the older D&D versions, there is at least logic, history and or legend behind these creatures, which is rarely or not so in 3rd or later versions). (sorry :o ;) sorry, to my opinion.

Yaga is on Mystara a witch using the natural magic of the world, as being a half-beastman, result from the first beastmen created and the brutal violation of her mother, who also was a witch . She has all the humanoid biological benefits, but is very ugly. Her genetic structure gave her strength of a beastmen warrior or Ogre, tactics of an Orc, wits and guile of a Goblin, cleverness and sneakyness of a Kobold, regeneration and uglyness of a Troll, and an apetite to go with.
i still pefer to keep most of her life and past a secret (for now :twisted: ), but lets say she became the victim of vile discrimination by the humans of Blackmoor. Being a ugly woman, with extraordinary powers, ordinary humans (read mostly men, tecnology revering blackmoor men, with severe relious hatred) tried to make her go away in any way possible. It is in this time she found the path to Immortality under Mother Nature, overpowered all witches of that era in might and magic, She rules over the elements (fire, air, earth and water), but was even rejected by all other immortals for not following a set Sphere.
As thus, she is the only Immortal not being part of the known firmanent, and not revered or prayed upon by followers. She gains her immortal existence by those who speak her name, tell her story, and need her help (and this might even be the Planet itself), and currently she is working ways to restore magic before it was affected by technology and the Radiance. She is like nature, hungry, violent and of great impact, but also beautiful in many ways. Her shape on Mystara is her original body, now over 4000 years of age, she might well be the oldest living human(oid) existing. She so rarely uses her incorporeal form, it is unknown if she even has one.

It may seem strange that anyone would look for Baba Yaga or enter her hut. However, she is wise and is all knowing, all seeing and tells the whole truth to those who are brave enough to ask. That may also hold her power; The truth; like nature's magic, hard and brutal, but also helpful for those accepting it.
Some say that even the mortal forms of the three seers at Ygdrasil are reflections of her, or her children, but more logically it is she had great influence upon these wise women who are avatars of three powerful immortals. As thus it becomes clear, Baba Yaga had great Inflence on many Immortals, but like nature, on the background, rarely accepted, but never rejected.
Often a hero or heroine enters her hut looking for wisdom, knowledge, truth or help, but always learn a vital lesson.

About the river; Professor vander Klil will discover this somewhere this year. So keep an eye out for my Blog; The Voyage of the Discovery. The rivers magic does NOT fail during days of no magoc, but that has a different reason to be explained later.

About Artifacts; There are many; her flying mortar and pestle, Izboushka her hut (functioning interior somewhatlike the Tardis of Dr Who), her garden, her faithful servants are the White Horseman, the Red Horseman and the Black Horseman. her soul friends (three bodiless pairs of hands, which suddenly appear to carry out her wishes) and many more. Amongst other the Streel River section of the Broken Lands.

One last thing to note. Baba Yaga has most of her history in the Ethengar region, and though she is not part of the Ethengar firmanent, most do respect her. All the races in this region (Broken Lands, North Darokin, Glantri, Ethengar, Heldann, South Wendar, Vestland, Rockhome have legends about her.
Last edited by Robin on Mon May 30, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robin
Cloud Giant

PreviousNext

Return to Mystara