Karameikos Campaign

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

mserabian
Goblin

Karameikos Campaign

Post by mserabian » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:53 pm

Hey guys

I'm starting a new Karameikos campaign. My goal is to keep it focused pretty much on the main conflicts of K as elucidated in GAZ1.

I've always wanted to use the Toys of the Madman adventure idea from GAZ1 as a campaign starter and that's what I'm going to do! I'm going to keep to the GAZ1 timeframe with the exception that Baron Von Hendricks and Bargle have already been deposed and are now at large in the Dutchy. They kidnap the PCs (and others) and force them to run a dungeon gauntlet. The survivors are Geaased to bring a message to Duke Stephan. "We (Von Hendrick, and Bargle) may be down but we are not out! Watch your back!!"

This brings them to the attention of the Duke right from the start of the campaign and I hope they'll end up being his go to trouble shooters about the Dutchy.

I plan to let them run into the battle at Susykin from B10 (iron ring/humanoids theme) on the way from the dungeon to Specularum and then likely do Veiled Society (Traladan Gang Violence theme) once they meet with the Duke.

Then I'll let them choose from Night of the Vampire (Vampire theme), Hail the Heroes (Church feud theme), and King's Festival and Queen's Harvest (iron ring/humanoids).

Next up I think will be the rest of B10 (iron ring/hidden races) followed by Eye of Tralador (Bargle and Von Hendricks) transferred to whatever hideout the evil duo are currently using!

and going on from there re-hitting the major these established above and hopefully eradicating, or resolving some of these threats and issues.

What do people think?

and any ideas for a smallish dungeon to use for the first adventure?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Karameikos Campaign

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:26 pm

Hello,
that sounds like a great basis for a campaign! Will you be returning to the rest of B10 later on, or are you simply using the Battle of Sukiskyn?

As to a beginner dungeon, how about Castle Mistamere from the basic set? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

religon
Bugbear

Post by religon » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:51 pm

I would not short B10 as it is generally thought one of the very best D&D modules.

I would look carefully at the King's Festival. It is not nearly as good an adventure as the Queen's Harvest. I would considered an abbreviated version of that module… rescue the priest, slay Petrides and recover the note leading to the next module is really all that is required.

The Holmes Sample dungeon is fun set in Karameikos also…

https://sites.google.com/site/zenopusar ... le-dungeon

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:20 pm

Double post. Nothing to see here
Last edited by RobJN on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:59 am

I'd go for King's Festival. It's a good, small dungeon with a reasonable background and a variety of monsters that follow a theme rather than being a random collection. Sure it's not as good as B12, but as an introductory dungeon it seems well structured to me.

GP

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:57 pm

As B11 & B12 do have a tie-in to run both adventures chronologically, I would agree this is a good place to start.

But I guess it all depends on what year you are starting your campaign. As I used, with a somewhat modified storyline, B1-9 "In Search of Adventure" as the "go to" adventure for many years when beginning my Mystara campaigns, by 1991 I was branching out and using more of my own material, as well as adventures hooks/ideas presented in the Gazetteers.

As my original campaign began in 990 AC, even by 1001 AC, the major storylines had moved beyond the material presented in the early B modules. B10, though somewhat changed, and it's follow-ups are now my new starting point, with the majority being originally created campaign material. This was also true with most X, CM, M, and I by 1005 AC.

I thought it was time for the B/X/CM/M/I series to come to an end sometime shortly after 1000 AC anyway. Perhaps in or around 1005 AC. Regardless of whether one is running WOTI or not.

I liked the idea of having about 4 Immortal, 8 Masters, 12 Companion, 16 Expert, and 20 Basic modules in the series. Making the last, as of yet, unpublished modules in those series tie into the new DD series, and perhaps new lines set in the individual countries of the Known World/Mystara.

Perhaps having the DD series be an overarching campaign path that takes characters from first to thirty-sixth level, while traveling throughout the Known World.
While a K series of modules could be set in Karameikos, a G series in Glantri, etc.

The country modules could thus be labeled KB, KX, KCM, KM, KI respectively. I had always wished at least for something like that to exist, possibly covering the years 1000 to 1030 AC.
It's about as gothic as you can get with anthropomorphic beavers.

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:51 pm

I'll second Havard's vote to explore the Mistamere ruins to the north of Threshold.

Heck, your PCs might even have to rescue a damsel (or ten).

And/or thwart an evil wizard (who may or may not be Bargle).
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:26 pm
So many people started roleplaying from there...
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Cerulean
Goblin

Post by Cerulean » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:29 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:59 pm
Havard wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:26 pm
So many people started roleplaying from there...
So true. Also, the red box dungeon is especially useful for customization. I've used that dungeon more times than I can remember. Each time I would "tweak" the overall concept quite a bit, so I never really played the same version twice.

Return to “Mystara”