Where was Synn?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Where was Synn?

Postby Chimpman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:09 pm

I wrote some things about Synn in the latest issue of Threshold (Issue #12). I won't spoil the surprise other than to say she was mucking about in Taymora circa BC 2300 ;)

Let's assume that the above is true, and that Synn was around in Taymora (doing whatever... go read Threshold ;) ), we should be able to piece together something about her history:

BC 2300: In Taymora doing stuff ;)

BC 1750-1720: Taymora is destroyed, mostly sinking beneath the Sunlit Sea, leaving only the islands of Minrothad and Ierendi (and perhaps a few outposts on the mainland). At this point in time I'm assuming that Synn leaves the area (her mission being accomplished with the destruction of Taymora)

BC 1200: (from VotPA) Night dragons come to the Island of Cestia. This is where Haldemar eventually finds her, and we might assume that she remained on Cestia from BC 1200 to circa AC 965 or thereabouts (I can't remember the actual date that Haldemar encounters her).

Modern era: Synn, masquerading as Dolores Hillsbury, infiltrates the Glantrian nobility.

So here is my question... given that Synn leaves Taymora after it sinks, and turns up in Cestia with the other night dragons circa BC 1200, what was she doing for the 500 years in between?

Anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by Chimpman on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Where was Synn?

Postby Havard » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:24 pm

I actually didn't realize Synn was this old.

Perhaps she was trapped in some kind of stasis for a few centuries? That could help explain how she could have been around for all of these centuries. Or perhaps she was even called back to the Planes of Entropy following Taymora?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Chimpman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:08 pm

Havard wrote:I actually didn't realize Synn was this old.

Well... those are assumptions (entirely my own). In fact I'm not sure if there is anything in cannon to suggest that Synn was part of the original invasion of Cestia (or indeed that she existed before then)... but I think it might be fun to make her so.

Havard wrote:Perhaps she was trapped in some kind of stasis for a few centuries? That could help explain how she could have been around for all of these centuries. Or perhaps she was even called back to the Planes of Entropy following Taymora?

As an undead creature, Synn could be around and active (in theory) indefinitely, so we don't necessarily need to explain her age. I'm more curious about any plots that she may have had going on during that time and how they might relate either to 1) adventure ideas set in some past time period, or 2) modern day events that may have been the direct results of her actions.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby ripvanwormer » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Well, here are some things that were going on in that period:

1750 - 1500 BC: Nithia progresses from the Bronze to Iron Age. Perhaps Synn helped them on their way, either as a pharoah or a pharoah's advisor, giving them the secrets of iron and planting the seed of Entropy worship that would ultimately be their doom.

1725 BC: King Loark's Quest of the Blue Knife. Did they interact with Synn? Perhaps she steered them on their quest, or perhaps Loark defeated her and stole some trinket she valued, bringing it to the Broken Lands to be lost. Perhaps she searches for it still.

1722 BC: Thanks to Loark's horde, the Antalian culture enters its dark age. This would be a good period for a Beowulf/King Arthur type to die in a last heroic battle with an undead dragon, just before the humanoid hordes overtake the land. Maybe Synn steered Loark's horde into Norwold in order to cause enough distraction and trouble that she could finally take down the Antalian king. Then Loark betrayed her, banishing her to the planes of entropy and taking the royal crown for himself.

1700 BC: The Lesser Rain of Fire. College of Wizardry by Bruce Cordell associates this event with what this book called the Warlock Strife. The climax of the Warlock Strife is the summoning of something called the Dragon of Shades, "an unrestrained elemental creature made up of equal parts shadow, power, and malice," which ends the Warlock Strife and then lays waste to the land. What if this was Synn? Imagine this: the elven warlord Atziann, exiled from his clan for the practice of forbidden arts, has gathered to himself a coven of exiles and a mysterious artifact from the age of Blackmoor (a nuclear reactor containing the imprisoned intelligence of the proto-Immortal Rafiel), and with these he lay siege on the elven fortress of Mathghamhna in what is now Glantri. Unable to penetrate Mathghamhna with brute force he returns to his own stronghold, Atzavalon, and sends three lieutenants, the Witch Trinity, to infiltrate the fortress and betray its inhabitants.

Meanwhile, as Atziann and his minions grow more threatening, something whispers to the High Sorcerer of Mathghamhna, a shadowy presence from the netherplanes of entropy, cajoling, begging to be freed.

In a whirlwind of poison, knives, and black sorcery, the Witch Trinity slew the High Sorcerer's inner circle. With no other options, the High Sorcerer recited a doomsday incantation, perhaps empowered by the Radiance, that he named the Speech of Twilight. Seconds before the Witch Trinity would have ended his life, the last defender of Mathghamhna pronounced the Speech of Twilight. The magic summoned Synn from the plane where Loark had banished her and, after slaughtering the Witch Trinity and the High Sorcerer, she did as the Speech of Twilight bade and made her way to the fortress Atzavalon to destroy Atziann. The exiled elf thrusted Rafiel's device into its maw: the ancient Blackmoor technology and the bizarre sorcery interacted in a terrible way and the Device exploded.

The aftermath is well known. The plains of Atzavalon were transformed into the shattered Broken Lands and all the elves of the region were forced to retreat underground to escape the black rain and clouds of ash resulting from the cataclysm. The spirit of Rafiel, finally freed from his shell, at last completed his long-delayed Trial and ascended to Immortality, instinctively protecting his liberator—Atziann—from the explosion, leaving the rebel warlord the sole survivor of his clan. The spirit of Rafiel followed the fleeing elves into the tunnels, whispering to them and guiding them as if to make up for its role in the devastation, while Atziann escaped into the Hollow World, his dreams haunted by memories of the shadowy serpentine creature who nearly destroyed him. In the years to come he would hear Synn's voice in his head, tempting him down darker and darker paths. After years among the Azcans, Atziann realizes that Synn did not die in the explosion, but survived by intertwining her soul with his. She reveals herself incarnate by possessing a couatl serpent and Atziann flees, determined to gain Immortality and so become freed of Synn's influence. Synn spends years in the Hollow World collecting tribute from the local Azcans, preparing them for the idea of worshiping a dark feathered serpent.

1200 BC: Synn is soon bored with the limitations of the Hollow World and returns to the outer world to find other Oltec descendants to exploit, eventually arriving on the island of Oceania. Or perhaps she is summoned by corrupt sorcerers there, outcast necromancers searching for shortcuts to power, not knowing what they would unleash. Perhaps ancient books inscribed in ancient Taymora contain the truenames of Synn and other night dragons, nightshades, and similar unwholesome entities. Perhaps Synn herself, or her father Ghaeranatos, gave the book to the elven sorcerers of Mathghamhna and after the death of the High Sorcerer they made their way south, coming into the possession of Oltec spellcasters. Soon Synn is summoned in her full draconic splendor, and she and her kin revel in the destruction of the Oltec cities and settlements, pursuing the fleeing Oltecs to Cestis.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:35 pm

:o
I'm always blown away by the material you write rip - I absolutely love the history that you've woven for Atzanteotl here! This is amazing stuff (and I'm definitely "borrowing" it for my own purposes).

ripvanwormer wrote:The exiled elf thrusted Rafiel's device into its maw: the ancient Blackmoor technology and the bizarre sorcery interacted in a terrible way and the Device exploded.

This device could actually be the "Blue Knife" of humanoid legends. Its presence would have given Loark and his tribe a very good reason for settling in the area. Though they were never actually able to acquire the device from the elves (and thus end their quest), they may have know of its presence and could have been building the strength needed to take the artifact from the elves by force.

ripvanwormer wrote:1700 BC: ... <snip> ... After years among the Azcans, Atziann realizes that Synn did not die in the explosion, but survived by intertwining her soul with his. She reveals herself incarnate by possessing a couatl serpent and Atziann flees, determined to gain Immortality and so become freed of Synn's influence. Synn spends years in the Hollow World collecting tribute from the local Azcans, preparing them for the idea of worshiping a dark feathered serpent.
1200 BC: Synn is soon bored with the limitations of the Hollow World and returns to the outer world to find other Oltec descendants to exploit, eventually arriving on the island of Oceania.

Having possessed the body of a couatl serpent, Synn may have been spending the centuries here recovering as well, using the Azcan's worship to power a variant of the Ceremony of Sublimation in order to reform her undead draconic body. Perhaps when she leaves Azcan lands, it's not simply out of boredom, but because her draconic body has finally been reconstituted and she can once again venture forth into the world with her full powers intact.

Hmmm... thinking about ideas for the Mystara 2300 BC setting... I'm wondering if Synn's "banishment" could have occurred much earlier, perhaps even sometime during the Taymoran civil war. Picture this:

A brave band of Taymorans discover that Synn has been masquerading as the Queen of Karisata for quite some time, and set out on a quest to end her reign of terror. That quest leads them to Urzud, where they find the one weapon legends say can end her existence, the Blue Knife (an ancient piece of Blackmoorian technomagic). They abscond with the weapon in secret, possibly replacing it with a fake, and use it to destroy Synn. Unfortunately only Synn's body is destroyed, but her essence is pulled into the artifact.

If those events took place circa BC 2000, the Blue Knife (with Synn inside it) could be floating around the Known World for the next 600 years or so, causing all kinds of problems. Eventually it comes to rest in the area that will become the Broken Lands, and is claimed by elves who have recently inhabited the region.
Last edited by Chimpman on Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:52 am

Hmm... All this talk of the Blue Knife, and the knife-that-is-not-a-knife triggered a stray thought....

Blue knife. A blade that is blue. Perhaps not a true blade but a shard of crystal, flaked off, razor sharp, like obsidian. But not volcanic glass ("dragon-glass" as they call it in Game of Thrones).... What if it was a long, tapered splinter of silver-veined glowing blue crystal? Blue dragonstone, which is known to house immense quantities of information, and sometimes a 'resident' intellect to aid in exploring and retrieving the myriad of information.

Perhaps this shard of blue dragonstone contains the ancient Taymoran knowledge of the Ceremonies of Blood, Sublimation, and the corrupted version that allowed the creation/summoning of night dragons? Or worse, what if it contained the secrets of controlling already existing users of the various ceremonies?

Thorn's Mystara presupposes that part of a fey queen's life cycle is eventual transformation into a "dragon queen." It is from several of these in past (ancient!) generations that the "current" chromatic and metallic dragons have sprung. The fact that there has not been another "dragon queen" is due to the rarity and danger inherent in the final Ceremony of Sublimation which a fey queen undergoes. Morganna (and to some extent, the Troll Queen of Grondheim) sought to hurry the process along through the use of dragonstones... as well as deepening her line's ties to the Sphere of Time by adding mortal blood to her bloodline.

This "Blue Knife" could be the shard of blue dragonstone in which the secrets of the fey's ceremony are recorded -- a base recipe from which all the others had sprung -- and with which those could be unravelled and rewoven into a means of iron-clad control over those who had used the ceremonies in the past.

Knowledge has been called the greatest weapon, after all.

And, c'mon, who wouldn't want a orcish/beastman warlord getting his hands on such a handy little ceremony to crank out dragons (chromatic, metallic, and night) and vampire queens who cannot help but perform their master's bidding without question or hope of refusal?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:19 am

Chimpman wrote:This device could actually be the "Blue Knife" of humanoid legends.

That's a great idea, actually. I had been treating it as some sort of weapon, but I was pretty vague about what it actually did in battle. It could correspond to what Bruce Cordell called Betrayer, or the Halberd of Mathghamnha. Perhaps it was in the hands of the Glantrian elves before Atziann stole it and used it to aid in his conquests.

Having possessed the body of a couatl serpent, Synn may have been spending the centuries here recovering as well, using the Azcan's worship to power a variant of the Ceremony of Sublimation in order to reform her undead draconic body. Perhaps when she leaves Azcan lands, it's not simply out of boredom, but because her draconic body has finally been reconstituted and she can once again venture forth into the world with her full powers intact.

Yeah, that works well. It gives her agency (she doesn't rely on others to summon her) and it ties into your greater theme of twisting the ceremony of draconic ascension.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby julius_cleaver » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:52 pm

While there are many great ideas here...alot of them are predisposed on the idea that Synn has lived for approximately 3300 years! This is a far cry from the age of Dragons as Bruce posited in his Dragon #170.

IMC; however, this would be quite possible. Zendrolion's Booklet/Mini-Gaz on dragons presented alot of ideas concerning Dragons: http://www.pandius.com/History_of_Dragons.pdf

It has made me think alot about their size, age, and other aspects. IMC there is no dragon living now that was alive during the Great Rain of Fire. This would mean no dragon is older than 4000 years in 1000 AC. Though I was possibly considering making the "max" age for dragons of Mystara to be around 4000 years. After that time they would either die "naturally" in Mystara's Dragon Graveyards or have ascended to the Draconic Planes.

The Dragon's Graveyard(s) was an article I intended to put in Threshold 5: Davania, but realized I needed to flush out more of Dragon ethos in my own campaign before writing it!
It's about as gothic as you can get with anthropomorphic beavers.

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog
julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Postby Sturm » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:38 am

Night dragons are technically undead dragons (http://pandius.com/grtndrag.html), so she could be way older than the maximum dragon age of your campaign.
IMC I prefer to have long living dragons, up to 10,000 years as it was possible in AD&D (and I think also in 3ed).
While I like Bruce's work very much, the maximum ages of dragons he gave in Dragon #170 are way too short for my taste.
I also did a serie of articles on dragon from Threshold issue #8 and #9 (Who's who in the Wyrmsteeth part 1 and 2).
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby julius_cleaver » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:12 am

The 10,000 years is definitely an interesting idea Sturm.

As far as the existence of Night Dragons, IMC even Night Dragons would be subject to the laws of the Draconic Realms. This even applies to "Undead Dragons" which appear as Undead in the "traditional" sense IMC. Meaning possibly killed by a powerful Lich or Vampire. Morphail would make a good example. These should not be confused with the "Undead" Dragons which are constructs, and contain no essence of dragons...living or deceased.

They, the true undead dragons, are turned as "Special" on the Clerical turning table. I honestly can't remember how Night Dragons gained their form...I guess I will have to look at my Dragon magazines in the next couple of days.

But I think IMC, despite having no soul, or being undead, Draconic Law would dictate their existence. HOWEVER; an Immortal could spend Power Points to further His/Her loyal minion's existence. But in this instance, said Immortal, or Night Dragon for that matter, might be hunted down by The Great One and his servants.

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog
julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Postby Chimpman » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:52 pm

With regard to draconic ages, I've probably been using a mixture of the various ideas presented above (including Bruce's work, and thoughts by julius and Sturm). Although I haven't tried to formalize anything yet, I would say that under normal circumstances the ages presented in Bruce's article are fairly standard... however they can be greatly extended (or perhaps even "reset") by the Ceremony of Sublimation. Therefore a dragon that has never gone through the Ceremony may only live to be 800 years old or so (and may also be more animalistic/feral in nature*), while a dragon who has performed several successful Ceremonies could live for thousands of years!

I do think that night dragons should be able to circumvent these limitations as undead beings. Although they are neither vampires nor liches, they are a unique and very powerful form of undead, and as such, I believe that "age" probably has very little meaning to them. In dedicating themselves to Thanatos they have essentially removed their spirits from the normal draconic life cycle. While I think the dragon rulers wouldn't particularly care for such creatures (and would in fact work toward their destruction), I don't think they would have any power over a night dragon's spirit/soul. That would have been given over to Thanatos. In fact night dragon spirits may still undergo a life cycle similar to the normal draconic cycle, however they wouldn't be reborn into dragon bodies... perhaps they would be used in the creation of Nightcrawlers, Nighshades, and Nightwalkers, etc...

* This is actually an interesting idea (though off topic)... I wonder if such dragons are the type that the Thyatian Knights of Air train as mounts.

Anyway, I like the idea of running with Synn as a fairly ancient creature... though I don't think she would have witnessed any of the Age of Blackmoor. Her sire probably did though. I see the dragons who turned to Thanatos (and became night dragons) in the same light as I see humans who turned to vampirism in the wake of the Great Rain of Fire. It was probably an attempt to survive (in some shape or form) the aftermath of that horrible catastrophe. As such, modern dragons might not think too highly of such creatures, or ever consider such a transformation. If true that could mean that all night dragons are fairly old - most stemming from the time after the destruction of Blackmoor.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Cthulhudrew » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:07 pm

Would Night Dragons still need to hibernate for extended periods like regular (non-undead) dragons? That's a good question. If they have, or need to have, some kind of similar hibernation/meditation period (obviously they probably don't actually sleep), then that would certainly cover some of the portions of her history.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby RobJN » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:09 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:Would Night Dragons still need to hibernate for extended periods like regular (non-undead) dragons? That's a good question. If they have, or need to have, some kind of similar hibernation/meditation period (obviously they probably don't actually sleep), then that would certainly cover some of the portions of her history.

Perhaps early run-ins with powerful adventurers forced hibernation/recovery periods?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Chimpman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:45 pm

RobJN wrote:
Cthulhudrew wrote:Would Night Dragons still need to hibernate for extended periods like regular (non-undead) dragons? That's a good question. If they have, or need to have, some kind of similar hibernation/meditation period (obviously they probably don't actually sleep), then that would certainly cover some of the portions of her history.

Perhaps early run-ins with powerful adventurers forced hibernation/recovery periods?

Hmmm... I wonder. What if instead of gold and jewels, they required massive amounts of living creatures to sacrifice. What would happen if several of them had to go into hibernation at once... say around BC 1750... Could Taymora's sinking have been caused by a dark Ceremony of Sublimation/Sacrifice? That might be an interesting option to explore as well. So many possibilities :twisted:
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby julius_cleaver » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:17 pm

Chimpman wrote:I do think that night dragons should be able to circumvent these limitations as undead beings. Although they are neither vampires nor liches, they are a unique and very powerful form of undead, and as such, I believe that "age" probably has very little meaning to them. In dedicating themselves to Thanatos they have essentially removed their spirits from the normal draconic life cycle. While I think the dragon rulers wouldn't particularly care for such creatures (and would in fact work toward their destruction), I don't think they would have any power over a night dragon's spirit/soul. That would have been given over to Thanatos. In fact night dragon spirits may still undergo a life cycle similar to the normal draconic cycle, however they wouldn't be reborn into dragon bodies... perhaps they would be used in the creation of Nightcrawlers, Nighshades, and Nightwalkers, etc...

* This is actually an interesting idea (though off topic)... I wonder if such dragons are the type that the Thyatian Knights of Air train as mounts.

Anyway, I like the idea of running with Synn as a fairly ancient creature... though I don't think she would have witnessed any of the Age of Blackmoor. Her sire probably did though. I see the dragons who turned to Thanatos (and became night dragons) in the same light as I see humans who turned to vampirism in the wake of the Great Rain of Fire. It was probably an attempt to survive (in some shape or form) the aftermath of that horrible catastrophe. As such, modern dragons might not think too highly of such creatures, or ever consider such a transformation. If true that could mean that all night dragons are fairly old - most stemming from the time after the destruction of Blackmoor.

Hmmm...interesting. I have never considered that idea. That perhaps Vampirism was borne out of a desire to survive the Great Rain of Fire. Very interesting idea. I also like the idea of many different "forms" of undead roaming the planet. As most forms are different from those infected by Fieonds IMC. Those "species" of undead are much older than most IMC, and consider themselves more "pure" than undead that later curse, as opposed to grace, the surface of Mystara.

I would also think most "modern" dragons would consider Night Dragons an abomination, in the same way humans do of vampires, and act toward them in a similar fashion?

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Postby Cthulhudrew » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:46 pm

Chimpman wrote:Hmmm... I wonder. What if instead of gold and jewels, they required massive amounts of living creatures to sacrifice. What would happen if several of them had to go into hibernation at once... say around BC 1750... Could Taymora's sinking have been caused by a dark Ceremony of Sublimation/Sacrifice? That might be an interesting option to explore as well. So many possibilities :twisted:

That would definitely fit with the goals and methods of the Sphere of Entropy. I like that a lot. Maybe a similar thing happened with Cestia- that a large group of living dragons who were followers of Entropy decided to jointly become Night Dragons and/or elevate their existing Night Dragon status, and so conducted a massive dark ceremony that nearly wiped out the entire island's population of living inhabitants?
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:44 pm

julius_cleaver wrote:
Chimpman wrote:Anyway, I like the idea of running with Synn as a fairly ancient creature... though I don't think she would have witnessed any of the Age of Blackmoor. Her sire probably did though. I see the dragons who turned to Thanatos (and became night dragons) in the same light as I see humans who turned to vampirism in the wake of the Great Rain of Fire. It was probably an attempt to survive (in some shape or form) the aftermath of that horrible catastrophe. As such, modern dragons might not think too highly of such creatures, or ever consider such a transformation. If true that could mean that all night dragons are fairly old - most stemming from the time after the destruction of Blackmoor.

Hmmm...interesting. I have never considered that idea. That perhaps Vampirism was borne out of a desire to survive the Great Rain of Fire. Very interesting idea.

This is the main premise for my BC 2300 version of Taymora. In fact most cultures/nations of the time have suffered from the Wasting (after-effects of the GRoF) and have had to find ways to cope with that deadly disease in order to survive. The Azcans (Intua) and aranea of Belphemon fled underground, (some) dwarves and the Dark Elves turned to fiendish powers, the Stonecarvers (of Colima fame) purified themselves through druidic magic. I think we've also talked about the Realm of Gildesh in Davania being protected by Ixion himself (through the devotion of his servant Gildesh). I'm sure there are more examples, but those are just of the top of my head - all fanon, by the way, but most with as many tie-ins to canon events/history as possible.

julius_cleaver wrote:I also like the idea of many different "forms" of undead roaming the planet. As most forms are different from those infected by Fieonds IMC. Those "species" of undead are much older than most IMC, and consider themselves more "pure" than undead that later curse, as opposed to grace, the surface of Mystara.

One idea I've been toying with is the conflict between Nyx and Thanatos. Both are Immortals of Entropy, however they have very different motivations and goals. Nyx is very much interested in the generation of new forms of undead, and is more than willing to support stable cultures and nations built around her creations. Thanatos on the other hand is all about destruction. The undead he supports only have one purpose - eradicating all life, culture, and order.

julius_cleaver wrote:I would also think most "modern" dragons would consider Night Dragons an abomination, in the same way humans do of vampires, and act toward them in a similar fashion?

I think that's probably very accurate. I can't imagine that normal dragons (good or evil) would put up with night dragons hanging around. They probably have similar feelings toward other intelligent undead version of their kind (dracoliches, for example).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Chimpman » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:57 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Chimpman wrote:Hmmm... I wonder. What if instead of gold and jewels, they required massive amounts of living creatures to sacrifice. What would happen if several of them had to go into hibernation at once... say around BC 1750... Could Taymora's sinking have been caused by a dark Ceremony of Sublimation/Sacrifice? That might be an interesting option to explore as well. So many possibilities :twisted:

That would definitely fit with the goals and methods of the Sphere of Entropy. I like that a lot. Maybe a similar thing happened with Cestia- that a large group of living dragons who were followers of Entropy decided to jointly become Night Dragons and/or elevate their existing Night Dragon status, and so conducted a massive dark ceremony that nearly wiped out the entire island's population of living inhabitants?

Oh... that's an interesting idea... we could even take it back a bit further.

Perhaps some evil dragons, knowing that the fall of Blackmoor was eminent, used the destruction and death caused by the Great Rain of Fire to transform themselves into night dragons. Others could have done the same at various times shortly after the GRoF (when the Wasting was decimating entire populations). It's also possible that in addition to generating new night dragons, such ceremonies are required in order for night dragons to "grow" in power (from a meta-game standpoint progressing from one life stage to the next). This would allow us to have "younger" night dragons such as Synn start off low in size/power and steadily progress throughout the different eras.

So we could have several potential night dragon Ceremonies of Sacrifice being performed throughout history including (but not limited to):
  • BC 3000: The Great Rain of Fire
  • BC 3000 - BC 2800: Aftermath of the Great Rain of Fire
  • BC 1750 - BC 1720: Sinking of Taymora
  • BC 1750: Collapse of the Great Plateau
  • BC 1700: Lesser Rain of Fire
  • BC 1700 - modern era?: Azcan sacrifices in the HW
  • BC 1200: Decimation of Cestia
  • BC 500: Decimation of lizardman populations

I'm sure we could think of others as well. Of course not all of these events need to be attributed to night dragons, but one could pick and choose based on a DM's individual needs.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Return to Mystara