Mystara's Plane of Air (With Map)

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Mystara's Plane of Air (With Map)

Post by Havard » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:04 pm

(click to enlarge)

Given the response to the map of the Plane of Fire, I present you with a map of the Plane of Air!

At the center of the map is the Evil Empire of the Haoou (Aerial Servants). This realm is referenced in the Rules Cyclopedia. I have also added a number of Known World visitor races to the Plane of Air which seems like the easiest place to visit among the Elemental Planes. Do you see anything missing?

-Havard

The Planes of Mystara: Plane of Fire, Plane of Air, Plane of Earth, Plane of Water, The Inner Planes, The Outer Planes

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Robin
Cloud Giant

Re: Mystara's Plane of Air (With Map)

Post by Robin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:42 pm

Havard wrote:Image

(click to enlarge)

Given the response to the map of the Plane of Fire, I present you with a map of the Plane of Air!

At the center of the map is the Evil Empire of the Haoou (Aerial Servants). This realm is referenced in the Rules Cyclopedia. I have also added a number of Known World visitor races to the Plane of Air which seems like the easiest place to visit among the Elemental Planes. Do you see anything missing?

-Havard

Elemental Planes: Plane of Fire, Plane of Air
Speeding up the mapping proces? :P
Very Nice map again... :lol:
A few basic remark though. :shock: I would place Temple of Odin in the respective region of northern regions. As he is there the dominant immortal. qwhere you placed him now I would place The private castle of the Air elemaster (supreme air elemental)
:o Pegataurs were created from Pegasi and Elves by Alphatian magic. That they desire a airbased location would deem logical...but as Prime creatures they need prime foodsources, and as thus must have brought plants , earth ands such here.or they have kidnapped a floating island :lol:

:ugeek: From an European (Belgian or Dutch I believe) comic named Isabel(nr 2 Isabel en de Kapitein (Isabel and the Captain), 3 De hekserij van Oom Hermes, (the witchcraft of uncle Hermes)4 de ceintuur of Cassiopea (the girdle of Cassiopea), 5 een rijk van tien morgen( A kingdom of ten mornings),6 de behekste vijver(the bewitched Pond), 7 het orakel van Delft(The oracle of Delft); there are a few interesting cloud and Air features, you might find usable
Soft solid clouds(light pink); as sleep surface used by the more solid creatures.
Asplenium Trichomanes; Living lightning...easily controlled by a control animal spell variant,
ΨΥΧΡΟΛΟΥΙΑ a friendly solid raincloud often stored in a bottle in other Planes, that functions like a flying carpet, but propels itself forward by raining (6 Hours max, each hour it shrinks 10%, then it must feed again(water or steam).
Snuivelaar (Sniffer) a haired flying snake without wings(also able to breath water or liquid air), with semi intelligence often used as pet or controlled animal.
Cumulus neffastus.. or reverse raincloud;; it sucks up water causing upward rain, the dispersing it in water vapor there.(breaks up on lightning). Especially on Prime Plane it is dangerous above water where it can rapidly grow into a huge storm. (for game purposes each Turn it above water it grows a HD, each HD lightning directed at it will break that away without other effect.
and finally a sturdy cloud which you can only traverse through on a horizontal plane(+/- 15% angle), any other direction the cloud is solid enough to build upon..

:mrgreen: A very funny minor creature (Furmuculuus Mormorisator I would find more suitable for Matter Plane use in half filled mortar and give it a pestle, utter Magic command words; (ify adonot eatadie soppa yawi llnevr grow) then it starts to jump rapidly up and down while uttering angered; Neej, Neej, and it will grind your material to fine dust .it stops when finished in 1 to 6 Turns depending on the hardness of the material, but it can even grind diamonds.

:twisted: I would enable Witches to have a floating domain above Glantri, accessible with brooms

One other thing. In my MM compilation Undead, there are fourl elemental Undead created by Nithians (Pyre elementals, Grave Elementals, Blood Elementals, and also one of air I forgot the name :oops: , They surely would have spread among their planes, but if they really set foot anywhere and established a domain I do not know.

Finally Air elemental creatures could include; Flying fish, flying sharks, feathered serpents, winged vipers, (see HWA2-3), winged cats, great cats dogs, moonhorse, teuklytyka (all can be found in my MM compiltion animals). I would assume some beholderkin could live here too..
Last edited by Robin on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:06 pm

Havard wrote: At the center of the map is the Evil Empire of the Haoou (Aerial Servants). This realm is referenced in the Rules Cyclopedia. I have also added a number of Known World visitor races to the Plane of Air which seems like the easiest place to visit among the Elemental Planes. Do you see anything missing?
Love this (and the Plane of Fire map as well!)

There was some kind of portal to the Plane of Air in the old Aerodrome (the fortress of the Order of the White Drakes). IIRC the Aerodrome was destroyed, and Rugalov Keep built in its place. I'm assuming that the portal may still be located there.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:03 am

Robin wrote:One other thing. In my MM compilation Undead, there are fourl elemental Undead created by Nithians (Pyre elementals, Grave Elementals, Blood Elementals, and also one of air I forgot the name :oops: , They surely would have spread among their planes, but if they really set foot anywhere and established a domain I do not know.
Hmm... what about the various incorporeal undead?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:57 am

Great map, as the previous one.
I believe there are some obscure references in modules and adventures about Storm giants in the southern seas (Ierendi, Minrothad, Yavdlom) while Cloud giants, IIRC, are mentioned in the north, so IMHO would make sense to switch the two tags..
But obviously it doesn't necessarily have to be similar to the prime..

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:22 am

You are doing an amazing job!
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:38 pm

Robin wrote: Speeding up the mapping proces? :P
Very Nice map again... :lol:

Thanks again! :) Having done the coastlines once, the rest is pretty easy from a purely visual perspective. All four elemental planes are more or less done now, but the real work is doing the research on what races, empires and other locations might be found there.
A few basic remark though. :shock: I would place Temple of Odin in the respective region of northern regions. As he is there the dominant immortal
That is a good idea. The location I used was fairly arbitrary. I will change that for the next update.
qwhere you placed him now I would place The private castle of the Air elemaster (supreme air elemental)
You know, I haven't actually included the Elemaster Dvellings anywhere on my maps. I suppose I could do that, but then they are such powerful individuals I wonder if it would be better to place them somewhere a bit more removed from what will probably be the main adventuring area?
:o Pegataurs were created from Pegasi and Elves by Alphatian magic. That they desire a airbased location would deem logical...but as Prime creatures they need prime foodsources, and as thus must have brought plants , earth ands such here.or they have kidnapped a floating island :lol:
Well, it all depends on how they ended up there. Did they travel there of their own will, or were they abducted somehow? Bringing food sources etc or hijacking a complete floating island are all good ideas.

This also brings up a very interesting topic of whether it is possible for mortals to sustain themselves on the Plane of Air for a longer time? I also placed a Pagasi Grassing ground area on the map. Again, is there any food there that they could find nourishment from? I would like to think that there could be some Air Elemental creatures (or plants?) that could be used as food for Prime Creatures. Maybe air elemental insects that could be eaten by normal birds etc. I would like to see a bunch of Prime Plane flying creatures living on the Plane of Air.
:twisted: I would enable Witches to have a floating domain above Glantri, accessible with brooms
We already have a Glantri presence on the map, but I guess Witches could have found their way here too. Perhaps they are more numerous on other planes though? Like Pyts (The Plane of Death/Entropy)?

Finally Air elemental creatures could include; Flying fish, flying sharks, feathered serpents, winged vipers, (see HWA2-3), winged cats, great cats dogs, moonhorse, teuklytyka (all can be found in my MM compiltion animals). I would assume some beholderkin could live here too..
Agreed. Although see my comments above about sustainance! :)
Chimpman wrote:
Havard wrote: At the center of the map is the Evil Empire of the Haoou (Aerial Servants). This realm is referenced in the Rules Cyclopedia. I have also added a number of Known World visitor races to the Plane of Air which seems like the easiest place to visit among the Elemental Planes. Do you see anything missing?
Love this (and the Plane of Fire map as well!)

There was some kind of portal to the Plane of Air in the old Aerodrome (the fortress of the Order of the White Drakes). IIRC the Aerodrome was destroyed, and Rugalov Keep built in its place. I'm assuming that the portal may still be located there.
Thank you! :) Portal at the location of Rugalov Keep? That can be arranged. Is this a reference from B3?

Sturm wrote:Great map, as the previous one.
I believe there are some obscure references in modules and adventures about Storm giants in the southern seas (Ierendi, Minrothad, Yavdlom) while Cloud giants, IIRC, are mentioned in the north, so IMHO would make sense to switch the two tags..
But obviously it doesn't necessarily have to be similar to the prime..
Thank you Sturm :)

Sure, why not switch them around. I was actually also thinking about changing the Storm Giants label to a single Storm Giant Castle. These guys are probably rare on the planes as well, right?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tom Bulls Eye
Ogre

Post by Tom Bulls Eye » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:47 pm

Robin wrote: :ugeek: From an European (Belgian or Dutch I believe) comic named Isabel(nr 2 Isabel en de Kapitein (Isabel and the Captain), 3 De hekserij van Oom Hermes, (the witchcraft of uncle Hermes)4 de ceintuur of Cassiopea (the girdle of Cassiopea), 5 een rijk van tien morgen( A kingdom of ten mornings),6 de behekste vijver(the bewitched Pond), 7 het orakel van Delft(The oracle of Delft); there are a few interesting cloud and Air features, you might find usable
Soft solid clouds(light pink); as sleep surface used by the more solid creatures.
Asplenium Trichomanes; Living lightning...easily controlled by a control animal spell variant,
ΨΥΧΡΟΛΟΥΙΑ a friendly solid raincloud often stored in a bottle in other Planes, that functions like a flying carpet, but propels itself forward by raining (6 Hours max, each hour it shrinks 10%, then it must feed again(water or steam).
Snuivelaar (Sniffer) a haired flying snake without wings(also able to breath water or liquid air), with semi intelligence often used as pet or controlled animal.
Cumulus neffastus.. or reverse raincloud;; it sucks up water causing upward rain, the dispersing it in water vapor there.(breaks up on lightning). Especially on Prime Plane it is dangerous above water where it can rapidly grow into a huge storm. (for game purposes each Turn it above water it grows a HD, each HD lightning directed at it will break that away without other effect.
and finally a sturdy cloud which you can only traverse through on a horizontal plane(+/- 15% angle), any other direction the cloud is solid enough to build upon..

:mrgreen: A very funny minor creature (Furmuculuus Mormorisator I would find more suitable for Matter Plane use in half filled mortar and give it a pestle, utter Magic command words; (ify adonot eatadie soppa yawi llnevr grow) then it starts to jump rapidly up and down while uttering angered; Neej, Neej, and it will grind your material to fine dust .it stops when finished in 1 to 6 Turns depending on the hardness of the material, but it can even grind diamonds.
I used to love those comics :D - Amazing that somebody else remembers them

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:05 pm

Havard wrote: Thank you Sturm :)

Sure, why not switch them around. I was actually also thinking about changing the Storm Giants label to a single Storm Giant Castle. These guys are probably rare on the planes as well, right?

-Havard
Well I do not think canon has much informations on Storm giants.

In X6 they are encountered fishing from clouds near Thanegia.

One appears in X7 The War Rafts of Kron (also on the Elmore cover)

The adventure Isle of the Storm Giant in AC10 should be set near Minrothad too.

AC10 also says the Immortal made the Cloud Castles of the Cloud Giants after they faced extinction after a lost was against other giants (mainly fire giants).

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:21 pm

Are distances in the elemental planes the same as in the prime material plane, or are you planning to apply ratios, so that passing through an elemental plane a trip could be longer or shorter compared to prime?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:37 pm

Yaztromo wrote:Are distances in the elemental planes the same as in the prime material plane, or are you planning to apply ratios, so that passing through an elemental plane a trip could be longer or shorter compared to prime?
I dont know, but off hand I would say keep things simple and keep the distances the same. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:59 pm

Just a thought...or two.

IF the distances are the same, then these regions would be the "Nearest Shore(s)". The extension of the Elemental Planes into the Prime. And perhaps why the Known World is so elementally/magically active. Though as the "Coastline" of these planes leaves the Known World they diverge out into their respective planes.

Though I do like Yaztromo's idea of having a simple ratio to describe a difference in space/time/area. I shouldn't think it would be that big of a deal.

It reminds me a little of planar travel in the World of Harn.
It's about as gothic as you can get with anthropomorphic beavers.

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog

religon
Bugbear

Post by religon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:17 am

julius_cleaver wrote:Though I do like Yaztromo's idea of having a simple ratio to describe a difference in space/time/area. I shouldn't think it would be that big of a deal.
My experiences suggest the same with both distance and time. I treat time passage differently in the Fairy Realm… ten-fold like Rip Van Winkle. In the Spirit World, time passes at ¼ speed compared to the Prime Plane… but it is relatively dangerous to travel through the Spirit World.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:15 pm

I love that you are doing this Havard.

I don't know the map of the Known World enough to work out why you are doing what you are doing.

Is there any specific methodology for working out what on the Material Plane corresponds to the Plane of Air? Are you looking through modules for mentions of encounters with air creatures, or are you inferring details from the landscape (and how the landscape might interact with air and clouds?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:06 pm

Big Mac wrote:I love that you are doing this Havard.

I don't know the map of the Known World enough to work out why you are doing what you are doing.

Is there any specific methodology for working out what on the Material Plane corresponds to the Plane of Air? Are you looking through modules for mentions of encounters with air creatures, or are you inferring details from the landscape (and how the landscape might interact with air and clouds?
Thank you my friend!

I am working based on how the elemental planes are described in the D&D Companion Set, the D&D Rules Cyclopedia and the Wrath of the Immortals Boxed Set. Basically what I have done here is simply to copy the coastlines from the Known World. In some cases I have placed locations there they might likely have corresponding appropriate locations on the Prime Plane. The Elementalist Mages of Glantri are known to have explored the Elemental Planes, so they will have strongholds on the corresponding locations of Glantri City on the planes. That is just one example. As to other realms, races etc the locations are often more or less arbitrary, though things like known relations between races can affect this. I work more on a case by case situation than having a specific "methodology" I would say.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Robin
Cloud Giant

Post by Robin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:00 pm

Tom Bulls Eye wrote:
Robin wrote: :ugeek: From an European (Belgian or Dutch I believe) comic named Isabel(nr 2 Isabel en de Kapitein (Isabel and the Captain), 3 De hekserij van Oom Hermes, (the witchcraft of uncle Hermes)4 de ceintuur of Cassiopea (the girdle of Cassiopea), 5 een rijk van tien morgen( A kingdom of ten mornings),6 de behekste vijver(the bewitched Pond), 7 het orakel van Delft(The oracle of Delft); there are a few interesting cloud and Air features, you might find usable

I used to love those comics :D - Amazing that somebody else remembers them
Thanx. More fans ;)
As being a treu nerd/geek :ugeek: , I am not only studied :geek: , but have a well earned comic(strip in Dutch) collection (40 meters if stacked :shock: , 1008 different smurfs :o and some other ancient comic stuff like the first bouncing bal :? l. If I eventually die it goes all to the Stripmuseum in Groningen, for all to see :) ). These comics of Isabel belong to this collection, and I also like the art, but story too...very D&D fitting. :mrgreen:
I'll see If I can find a scanner to scan the pictures of these critters to add. :lol:
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:04 am

religon wrote:
julius_cleaver wrote:Though I do like Yaztromo's idea of having a simple ratio to describe a difference in space/time/area. I shouldn't think it would be that big of a deal.
My experiences suggest the same with both distance and time. I treat time passage differently in the Fairy Realm… ten-fold like Rip Van Winkle. In the Spirit World, time passes at ¼ speed compared to the Prime Plane… but it is relatively dangerous to travel through the Spirit World.
So if I am understanding you correctly...

Time moves ten times faster in the Fairy World, but 1/4 speed in the Spirit Worl? Visiting the Spirit World for four years, only one would pass on Mystara? But in the Fairy World, one year is really ten on Mystara?

Or have i got it completely backwards?

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:47 pm

Other possible inhabitants: faedorne, giant eagles? Thunderheads?

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:01 pm

Something that might be kind of interesting to do, while still keeping with the idea of giving these a rough symmetry to the Known World, might be to break up the landmass a bit more into regional "clouds" that could roughly correspond to the general geographic features of the KW, but still give it more of an airy feel and less of a land feel.

These are fun, though. I like your take on things with these maps!
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:51 pm

Nice to see you back and active at the board Cthulhudrew!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:07 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:Something that might be kind of interesting to do, while still keeping with the idea of giving these a rough symmetry to the Known World, might be to break up the landmass a bit more into regional "clouds" that could roughly correspond to the general geographic features of the KW, but still give it more of an airy feel and less of a land feel.

These are fun, though. I like your take on things with these maps!

Thank you Cthulhudrew, my friend! :)

Without changing the map even, perhaps we could assume that the nature of the cloud "solids" is much more loosely connected than on the other planes? Flying, or at least magical leaping would be required to travel even from one hex to another within the solid areas?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:32 pm

Havard wrote: perhaps we could assume that the nature of the cloud "solids" is much more loosely connected than on the other planes? Flying, or at least magical leaping would be required to travel even from one hex to another within the solid areas?
In that case at least I'd also reduce the flying speed, due to the "denser" nature of what you are flying through.

Robin
Cloud Giant

Post by Robin » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:41 pm

Or.....like I suggested earlier; Sturdy clouds which you can traverse through in any angle except near horizontal :)

In that sense I would imagine Air Mystara being a globe of air with a central gates to Fire Plane, encircled those with a mass of clouds that are lightning /thunderclouds in the middle. Here and there these channel outside becoming lightning volcanoes. This would also explain (in a magical sense) why volcanic eruptions on the Prime, affect weather patterns...as they affect Air with their thunder.
Prime Plane gravity is still directed down, but it is much much weaker than normal (1/10th about).
That means movenment and jumping are affected by increasing it to 10 (which was mentioned in AD&D2 too).

Water was as in Prime water(special rules PC undersea), Fire was 50% faster, but sometimes speeds of 10times faster have been noted due local fire weather), matter triple normal gravity, thus movement 1/3rd, these creatures have sturdyness out of this gravity
Last edited by Robin on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:46 am

julius_cleaver wrote:Nice to see you back and active at the board Cthulhudrew!
Hi, and thank you! Not going to be quite as active as I was for a bit yet, but I never intended to just up and vanish the way I did. Missed the forums and all of the cool discussions and interactions. :D
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:45 pm

Some interesting details on the Alphatian side of the Plane of Air here: http://bruce-heard.blogspot.com/2013/01/Ar05.html

Return to “Mystara”