Mystara's Plane of Earth (With Map)

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Mystara's Plane of Earth (With Map)

Post by Havard » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:41 pm

(Click to enlarge)

And here is the Plane of Earth!

I actually had this map made last week, but since I got so much great input about the Plane of Earth in the thread about the Plane of Fire, I wanted to make some revisions before sharing it with you guys. I have tried to include the majority of the added info you guys gave me, but if there is something I left out it is highly possible that I unintentionally forgot about it. I was out of town for a few days, so I keep getting distracted.

I have included some references to IM1 and IM2 as well as the HWA modules. As usual, other sources include the BECMI/RC core books. Erdeen are described in the Mystara AD&D Monstrous Compendium Appendix. I ended up placing Landhome at the Adri Varma Plateau as suggested by Ripvanwormer. This actually caused some changes since that was originally where I had placed the Horde Khanate. Making them a Khanate is my invention and sort of a joke, but it fits quite well with their culture. I see that Marco has associated the Horde race with N'grath. I also added a gate to Cueball.

As usual, questions and comments are very much welcome! These maps have become so much better due to your support.

Finally: do you want to see the Plane of Water (the last map in the series) as soon as possible or do you want me to revise the existing ones first based in the input from those threads?

-Havard

The Planes of Mystara: Plane of Fire, Plane of Air, Plane of Earth, Plane of Water, The Inner Planes, The Outer Planes

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: Mystara's Plane of Earth (With Map)

Post by RobJN » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:57 pm

Havard, you rock!

I say put out the last map, and then you can drown in revisions after that ;)
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:18 pm

My vote for Water is to just throw it out there, and revise later. A lot of times visuals can help us understand the cosmology better, and hopefully, make it easier for other folks to contribute to the discussions.

One interesting thought I had while looking at this map: It seems that the Glantrians have a stronghold established on each of the elemental planes (which makes sense, since the Glantrian Elemental Circles would each have contact with their respective planes). I wonder if each of the Circles maintains their own planar connection, or have they banded together to create some kind of Elemental Nexus - a shared pocket plane that in turn leads to each of the Inner Planes. I'm imagining something akin to the City of Brass, but which spans the Elemental Planes. Perhaps this was something that could have been salvaged, and improved upon, from the old days of the Ordo Elementarum (sp? from Blackmoor).
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:25 pm

Thank you!!! :)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:01 pm

Thanks guys!

I am finalizing the Plane of Water map now.
Chimpman wrote:One interesting thought I had while looking at this map: It seems that the Glantrians have a stronghold established on each of the elemental planes (which makes sense, since the Glantrian Elemental Circles would each have contact with their respective planes). I wonder if each of the Circles maintains their own planar connection, or have they banded together to create some kind of Elemental Nexus - a shared pocket plane that in turn leads to each of the Inner Planes. I'm imagining something akin to the City of Brass, but which spans the Elemental Planes. Perhaps this was something that could have been salvaged, and improved upon, from the old days of the Ordo Elementarum (sp? from Blackmoor).
That is an interesting question. I actually don't know how much the Elementalist work together? They are categorized as a single Secret Craft, are they? I actually simply imagined that there would be chambers in the Great School of Magic (or somewhere) with gates leading to much larger fortresses on the other side. But your idea of a pocket plane, possibly even with ties to Blackmoor is a pretty cool idea! Worth thinking about! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:04 pm

As before, there is nothing really I can say apart from that this is awesome and I'm grateful you made it.

Thanks Havard.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:21 am

Very nice!

One question: how does the Lava Maelstrom blend with the Sea of Mud? Is there just a lava whirlpool bubbling up in that one portion of the sea near the Northern Reaches, or is the whole of the Sea of Dawn molten lava? Does it slowly grow cooler as you move toward the Sea of Dread? It looks to me like both the Sea of Dread and the Sea of Dawn are the Sea of Mud on the Plane of Earth and the Lava Maelstrom is a local effect near the realm of the brown dragons.

Is there a wormhole to the Plane of Fire within the Lava Maelstrom? If so, should it be marked on your Plane of Fire map as well?

N'grath is an Immortal horde creature in IM1 (a single entity with many, many bodies), so it's not just Marco's invention.

I was thinking that you might have decided to put the Horde Khanate in the same region as the Ethengar Khanate, but then I wondered: what of the Spirit World that overlaps Ethengar? Might its spirits not have a presence on the Elemental Planes?

Besides N'Grath, Land, the Earthmaster, and Ground, Urtson, an Immortal kryst, is another Immortal of the Elemental Plane of Earth (though he doesn't necessarily live there). He shows up at the council of ruling-class elementals and krysts convened by Land in IM2.

What are the earth fey? The main thing that comes to mind are the pechs from AD&D.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:05 am

ripvanwormer wrote:One question: how does the Lava Maelstrom blend with the Sea of Mud? Is there just a lava whirlpool bubbling up in that one portion of the sea near the Northern Reaches, or is the whole of the Sea of Dawn molten lava? Does it slowly grow cooler as you move toward the Sea of Dread? It looks to me like both the Sea of Dread and the Sea of Dawn are the Sea of Mud on the Plane of Earth and the Lava Maelstrom is a local effect near the realm of the brown dragons.
I was thinking along similar lines here. I'm picturing a localized phenomenon (though it would in fact be rather large), something akin to a gigantic whirlpool made of lava. I think the transition from lava to mud would be gradual, starting with lava, then boiling rock encrusted mud, then warm mud, then cold mud. If there is a portal to the Plane of Fire here (which I think could be likely) this might also be a major staging area for assaults from that plane, and could be considered a very dangerous place by the local inhabitants. The Earth Plane's equivalent of the Bermuda Triangle perhaps?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:30 am

The Lava Maelstrom could be a scar left over from the Elemental Wars.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:42 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:Something that might be kind of interesting to do, while still keeping with the idea of giving these a rough symmetry to the Known World, might be to break up the landmass a bit more into regional "clouds" that could roughly correspond to the general geographic features of the KW, but still give it more of an airy feel and less of a land feel.

These are fun, though. I like your take on things with these maps!
I'm taking CD's idea from the Air thread, but this got me to thinking... what if the map for Earth looked like the Known World of BC 2000... before Taymora fell into the sea? That might be a kind of cool idea, maybe for Earth and Fire, while Water and Air have the modern shorelines.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:42 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:Very nice!
Thanks again Rip! :)
One question: how does the Lava Maelstrom blend with the Sea of Mud? Is there just a lava whirlpool bubbling up in that one portion of the sea near the Northern Reaches, or is the whole of the Sea of Dawn molten lava? Does it slowly grow cooler as you move toward the Sea of Dread? It looks to me like both the Sea of Dread and the Sea of Dawn are the Sea of Mud on the Plane of Earth and the Lava Maelstrom is a local effect near the realm of the brown dragons.

Is there a wormhole to the Plane of Fire within the Lava Maelstrom? If so, should it be marked on your Plane of Fire map as well?
Good questions! I would keep the Lava Maelstrom a fairly local effect, hiding a worm hole to the Plane of Fire. I will need to add an equivalent on the map of that plane. I had not thought about the proximity to the Brown Dragons, but it is something that could be expanded upon...
N'grath is an Immortal horde creature in IM1 (a single entity with many, many bodies), so it's not just Marco's invention.

I was thinking that you might have decided to put the Horde Khanate in the same region as the Ethengar Khanate, but then I wondered: what of the Spirit World that overlaps Ethengar? Might its spirits not have a presence on the Elemental Planes?
Thanks for confirming that N'grath being of the Horde is from IM1. Placing it on the Khanate could have been cool. My main reasoning for deciding where to place the Horde was to put them at some distance from their enemies the Krysts. I like your idea of the Spirits of Ethengar having a presence on the planes. I could even see Elemental Shamans honoring the spirits, just like there are Elemental Clerics.
Besides N'Grath, Land, the Earthmaster, and Ground, Urtson, an Immortal kryst, is another Immortal of the Elemental Plane of Earth (though he doesn't necessarily live there). He shows up at the council of ruling-class elementals and krysts convened by Land in IM2.
Cool, that gives us more to expand on the Kryst Alliance. I named them so, because the Krysts are trying to forge an alliance against the Horde. The Horde travel from world to world, trying to gain complete dominance. My impression is that the Kryst also travel across worlds to defend against these invaders. Mystara's twin world might be an exception in which balance is more important than elsewhere on the Elemental Plane, or perhaps this makes it especially attractive to all the elemental races?

What are the earth fey? The main thing that comes to mind are the pechs from AD&D.
Yeah, I like Pechs. Perhaps Brownies?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:23 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Cthulhudrew wrote:Something that might be kind of interesting to do, while still keeping with the idea of giving these a rough symmetry to the Known World, might be to break up the landmass a bit more into regional "clouds" that could roughly correspond to the general geographic features of the KW, but still give it more of an airy feel and less of a land feel.

I'm taking CD's idea from the Air thread, but this got me to thinking... what if the map for Earth looked like the Known World of BC 2000... before Taymora fell into the sea? That might be a kind of cool idea, maybe for Earth and Fire, while Water and Air have the modern shorelines.
Surely an Earth-version of Mystara would have more land (rather than less land) if anything. :?

(Anna Meyer worked out contour lines for sea depth on her Greyhawk map. If there was something like that for Mystara's seas, perhaps the sea level could be shifted down a bit, to create some "swamp islands" within the mud sea.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:25 pm

Maybe the easiest solution to decrease the depth of the Oceans, and raise the Height of the Mountains by 10 or 20
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:05 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Chimpman wrote:

Surely an Earth-version of Mystara would have more land (rather than less land) if anything. :?
That was actually my point. The Known World pre-BC 1750 or so had much more land mass. The southern coastline would be extended south (by several hundred miles in places), and there would be a land bridge through Ostland leading to the Isle of Dawn.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:57 pm

Chimpman wrote:Surely an Earth-version of Mystara would have more land (rather than less land) if anything. :?
That was actually my point. The Known World pre-BC 1750 or so had much more land mass. The southern coastline would be extended south (by several hundred miles in places), and there would be a land bridge through Ostland leading to the Isle of Dawn.[/quote]

I thought about using different coastlines. My main reason for sticking to an identical coastline to that of Mystara was because it would be much easier to identify relative locations. It is possible that versions would be just as logical, but I think they could be more confusing.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Mystara”