Mystara's Plane of Water (With Map)

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Mystara's Plane of Water (With Map)

Post by Havard » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:19 pm

Click to Enlarge

Okay, so this is the last of the Elemental Planes in the series. This one is a bit different than the previous ones since I added more room for the southern sea (sea of dread equivalent) and also added rivers. I see rivers as super highways for the elementals to travel through the ice (solid water).

This map also made room for a new creature, the Ice Men, as well as a few other details for you guys to discover! Let me know what you think. I will be revising all of the maps based on your feedback!

-Havard

The Planes of Mystara: Plane of Fire, Plane of Air, Plane of Earth, Plane of Water, The Inner Planes, The Outer Planes

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Mystara's Plane of Water (With Map)

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:06 am

Very cool! I wonder if the cryions, the ice-dwelling bat people from the Creature Catalogue, might have a presence on this plane. And frost salamanders.

Another possible addition: the Sleeping Ones described in Planescape's The Inner Planes match the description of BECMI's draedens. In that book, they sleep in the Paraelemental Plane of Ice, each many miles long, projecting brain-shattering awe in those who venture too near. A mountain range formed from frozen draedens, At the Mountains of Madness style, who have been there since before the plane formed seems like it might be an appropriate feature of Mystara's Elemental Plane of Water.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:13 pm

:)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:17 pm

Does Mystara have Paraelemental Planes and Quasielmental Planes? Or is all elemental ice and steam part of it's Plane of Water?

Have you got any thoughts on what a spring should be like on the Elemental Plane of Water? If you are using ice as the land, would a spring be a sort of "cool volcano", that melts some sort of ice mantle layer and sends liquid water to the surface?

How about full-blown volcanoes, on the Material Plane? Should they translate into "hot volcanoes" that send melt some sort of ice mantle layer so much that steam comes out into the atmosphere?

Would your atmosphere, in your Plane of Water, actually be "cool steam" that aquatic critters can breath and walk through? Would you have "water birds" that fly through the "air-like water"?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:40 am

Big Mac wrote:Does Mystara have Paraelemental Planes and Quasielemental Planes?
The BECMI cosmology doesn't. Whether Mystara does depends on whether or not you accept Mystara's inclusion in Planescape in 2nd edition (or use some other cosmology). For example, the Quasielemental Plane of Vacuum was mentioned in the Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix. But Havard is using the BECMI/Wrath of the Immortals cosmology, so no, there are no Quasielemental or Paraelemental planes.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:21 am

The atmosphere of the Plane of Water is much like it is here, in Texas: very, very, very humid. Normal humans would liken it to walking into a sponge, and need SCUBA gear (or at the very least, water breathing) to move about outside :P
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:21 am

ripvanwormer wrote:Very cool! I wonder if the cryions, the ice-dwelling bat people from the Creature Catalogue, might have a presence on this plane. And frost salamanders.
Yes these will definitely fit here. :)
Another possible addition: the Sleeping Ones described in Planescape's The Inner Planes match the description of BECMI's draedens. In that book, they sleep in the Paraelemental Plane of Ice, each many miles long, projecting brain-shattering awe in those who venture too near. A mountain range formed from frozen draedens, At the Mountains of Madness style, who have been there since before the plane formed seems like it might be an appropriate feature of Mystara's Elemental Plane of Water.
Okay, those are really cool ideas. I really like having a Draeden or other monster frozen in the ice of this plane. Speaking of Sleeping Ones, I created something similar that I wrote about here on my blog. I used the term as a catch all reference to Burrowers and other Cthulhu-esque creatures (like Kartoeba, the Egg of Coot etc).

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Mystara”