The Merging of Madness

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII, Seer of Yhog

Gravesguardian
Ogre
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

The Merging of Madness

Post by Gravesguardian » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:11 am

Mods can move this where they deem it best fits, thank you very much :D

Mystara....check
Blackmoor.....check
Great Rain of Fire....check
Blackmoor gone......check.....

But, what if something survived? Something more than what we've been told? What if some fragment of Blackmoor civilization remained on Mystara: cutoff, lost...forgotten? A fragment that developed differently then the rest of Mystara, watched over by a collection of Immortals. (No I won't be naming any of them, I'll leave that for the genius's to decide.) W/ the GRoF setting back their civilization, what if this Blackmoorian fragment developed along the same lines as Shadowrun: the original, not yet the newest edition.

Gonna slink back into the shadows now & watch the flak fly :x

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: The Merging of Madness

Post by RobJN » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:24 am

My iteration of Mystara actually posits a situation that is somewhat similar -- elements of Ancient Blackmoor survived, in various caches around the planet: colonies across the world on the Great Continent, long buried, have been awakened, while others still slumber, awaiting (re)discovery. A dwarven empire beneath the mountains ringing western Karameikos has built itself up on recovered ancient technomagical devices from the World That Was, but has thus far only progressed as far as what we might call Victorian/Steam-punk.

You might be able to eke out a Mystaro=cyberpunk vibe from the Blacklore elven valley in the Hollow World.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Girl

Post by Angelika Tatsu » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:32 am

You might want to check out Hollow World, that is where some elements have survived.
In affectus veritá.

mindszenty
Orc

Post by mindszenty » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:35 am

John Calvin had an Spelljammer campaign (http://pandius.com/exiles.html) in which fragments of Blackmoor civilization have survived in the wildspace. They are banned from Mystara sphere by Immortals. Though the campaign is focused on struggling Blackmoorian colonies in the spheres beyond Mystara, one could use such a premise in Mystara, too - e.g. post-Blackmoorian colony manages to send an expedition into Mystara sphere with intent to find out if it is safe to return.

Gravesguardian
Ogre

Post by Gravesguardian » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:19 pm

The problems w/ using the Hollow World though is that that tech is magical rather than true tech. Also the Spell of Preservation would be a massive hinderance....& I do like the SoP. Finally, there's the problem of the Blacklore Elves being just too lazy, or content, to do any progressive advancements. As far as Spelljammer: while Shadowrun does have minor space tech (launching satellites into orbit & 1 known space station) it doesn't have the level to traveling & colonize beyond their planet.

I see some commonalities, to a degree, between them: various airplanes, smokepowder & guns, the replacement of lost limbs (1 Glantian wizard did lose an arm in battle & had it replaced & was still able to cast his magic). I'm tempted to add the "Voice" in the Radiance as a possible comparison to the Matrix AI.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:51 pm

Gravesguardian wrote:Mods can move this where they deem it best fits, thank you very much :D

Mystara....check
Blackmoor.....check
Great Rain of Fire....check
Blackmoor gone......check.....

But, what if something survived? Something more than what we've been told? What if some fragment of Blackmoor civilization remained on Mystara: cutoff, lost...forgotten? A fragment that developed differently then the rest of Mystara, watched over by a collection of Immortals. (No I won't be naming any of them, I'll leave that for the genius's to decide.) W/ the GRoF setting back their civilization, what if this Blackmoorian fragment developed along the same lines as Shadowrun: the original, not yet the newest edition.

Gonna slink back into the shadows now & watch the flak fly :x
I could be wrong... but I could swear I read a bit of fandom years ago in which some aspect of Blackmoor lived on in southern Davania, presumably a group of elves that didn't blow themselves up or freeze to death.
He does not have a mandate. He does not have large congressional majorities. If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump

Gravesguardian
Ogre

Post by Gravesguardian » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:01 pm

I could be wrong... but I could swear I read a bit of fandom years ago in which some aspect of Blackmoor lived on in southern Davania, presumably a group of elves that didn't blow themselves up or freeze to death.
If that could be found again, I'ld be interested in reading it

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:05 pm

if it does indeed exist, and the memory isn't the residue of one too many bad acid trips as a youth, and I can find a link to it I'll definitely post it!
He does not have a mandate. He does not have large congressional majorities. If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:37 am

Gravesguardian wrote:
Canon (from Gaz 5, if I remember rightly) states that the elves on the Southern continent that didn't leave with Ilsundal's migration either froze after the polar shift, or got blowed up with the upsurge in volcanic activity after the planet's axial shift.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Post by Birchbeer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:59 am

RobJN wrote:
Gravesguardian wrote:
Canon (from Gaz 5, if I remember rightly) states that the elves on the Southern continent that didn't leave with Ilsundal's migration either froze after the polar shift, or got blowed up with the upsurge in volcanic activity after the planet's axial shift.
I believe the voyage of the princess ark sees primitive elves on their journey south in the arctic.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:17 am

There was a product release calendar for Mystara plans prior to its cancellation that was posted by Bruce on the MML a few years back. It is still up at the Vaults of Pandius (can't link from here, but here's a link to the Acaeum page with the info and I've quoted the relevant sections below).

Long story short, the plan was to have had the Immortals save part of Blackmoor within the Hollow World (presumably separate from the Blacklore elf civilization), but they ended up breaking free in the present and returning to the Outer World. There was a boxed set and at least two tie-in products for it in the pipeline. I don't know how far along they'd gotten beyond the conception stage, though. Havard or Bruce might be able to give us more background on that.

Adventures in Blackmoor Boxed Set. This campaign set allows the return of the Blackmoor civilization in the Known World. A bit of history: Blackmoor destroyed itself 1,000 years ago and was "cloned" inside the Hollow World sanctuary by the Immortals. The Blackmoorians' technological antics finally upset the Immortals who literally kick them out of the Hollow World. Blackmoor re-establishes itself on the Known World, after being copiously trashed by their Immortal (ex)- patrons. Blackmoor distinguishes itself from the traditional fantasy genre because of modern technology equipment that keeps showing up in their setting. These are rare, poorly understood items that become very dangerous in the wrong hands. In a nutshell, Blackmoor qualifies as "dark-age medieval fantasy with technology"!

BMA1 Egg of Coot. This adventure takes traditional player characters from the usual Known World to the chaotic Land of Blackmoor. They discover the secret and dark wonders of Blackmoor and realise the risks they pose to their way of life. They must shut down one of the known sources of technology-the strange and mysterious Egg of Coot. But it is indeed a deadly place.

BMA2 Doomsday Rod. An adventure for native Blackmoor characters. These adventurers hear of a secret weapons cache forgotten by the powerful entities of their land. Contrary to the wisdom of characters in the traditional Known World setting, these fellows want these lethal contraptions to fulfil their dreams of power! The player characters are allowed to get their hands on the deadly weapons, but in so doing trigger a doomsday machine. The characters must use (and hopefully deplete) their newly acquired equipment to destroy the frightening machine. A typical shoot'em up escapade for gunpowder-crazed players!
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Gravesguardian
Ogre

Post by Gravesguardian » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:23 am

Would've been cool if they had published all of that. Thanks for the info, though.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:11 pm

mindszenty wrote:John Calvin had an Spelljammer campaign (http://pandius.com/exiles.html) in which fragments of Blackmoor civilization have survived in the wildspace. They are banned from Mystara sphere by Immortals. Though the campaign is focused on struggling Blackmoorian colonies in the spheres beyond Mystara, one could use such a premise in Mystara, too - e.g. post-Blackmoorian colony manages to send an expedition into Mystara sphere with intent to find out if it is safe to return.
Indeed :mrgreen: In fact you'll see an update of this material appearing in Issue #15 of Threshold, Mystaraspace.

I had other ideas about some fragment of Blackmoor surviving in Mystara's Shadowdeep as well. Those can also be found on the Vaults, and were mainly inspired by the works of Azimov (I-Robot series, Foundation series).
Blackmoor: Post Cataclysm
Blackmoor History - Post Cataclysm
Not Men
The Thonian Gremlinate
Hidden Blackmoor - Zen-Thara
I've always held a soft spot for these early ideas, though I do think they could use some updating and expansion.
micky wrote:I could be wrong... but I could swear I read a bit of fandom years ago in which some aspect of Blackmoor lived on in southern Davania, presumably a group of elves that didn't blow themselves up or freeze to death.
This could have been a couple of things:
1) Not elves but gnomes. Look up information about Snarta on the Vaults of Pandius. These gnomes live in the Vulcania region and live in what are essentially city sized Earthshakers. Bruce Heard contributed some of his own ideas on this topic as well.
Vulcania Peninsula Region

2) I believe that we did some development here on The Piazza about the Platea region. IIRC, this area did include elves who had broken off from Ilsundal's main migration in order to preserve the level of Blackmoorian technology in their society (rather than giving it all up). I think yellowdingo was the main driver behind that society
Platea

Besides the Blacklore elves there should also be some information on Jomphur Blackmoor in the Hollow World.

There are probably other examples as well, but these were the ones that came to the top of my mind.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Robin
Cloud Giant

Post by Robin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:30 pm

appperently they (Zeitgeist) made a free download of Dave Arneson's Blackmoor. URL Deleted by Moderator.
it is indeed not BECMI D&D , but one of the later crappier D&D version, but still interesting.

Moderator Edit: Don't share links unless you know they are legal. This PDF may be purchased legally elsewhere. -Havard
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Gravesguardian
Ogre

Post by Gravesguardian » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:15 pm

A little something to help spark ideas...and ALOT of head shaking.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iz934 ... tBxnUCW4Ah

This was done simply as a "What if?" scenario.

Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Post by Seer of Yhog » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:27 pm

Gravesguardian wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:01 pm
Are you thinking of Thimhallan? That was a Blackmoorian holdout that survived in Vulcania, IIRC.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:15 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:17 am
There was a product release calendar for Mystara plans prior to its cancellation that was posted by Bruce on the MML a few years back. It is still up at the Vaults of Pandius (can't link from here, but here's a link to the Acaeum page with the info and I've quoted the relevant sections below).
Man, I would have bought ALL of that stuff! :cool:
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:59 pm

For my next Mystara campaign, I want to make the remnants of Blackmoor history more prominent in AC1000 Mystara. While functioning artifacts should be more rare, especially the really powerful ones, I would like to have rusted metal towers, overgrown bridges and hidden bunker-like buildings all over the Known World, similar to the TV version of the Shannara Chronicles. I would also have many of the deepest dungeons be filled with Blackmoor Era traps and mechanisms resembling the Dwemer fortresses of Skyrim.

Also, I would love to have long lost Nithian Era Pyramids and Tombs with Blackmoor relics inside of them.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:28 am

I would like to make Skothar (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19428) in issue #20 of Threshold such a setting, with Blackmoor relics and ruins still around and people obviously fighting between those who want to destroy them and those who want to use them :)

Gravesguardian
Ogre

Post by Gravesguardian » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:56 pm

Sturm wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:28 am
I would like to make Skothar (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19428) in issue #20 of Threshold such a setting, with Blackmoor relics and ruins still around and people obviously fighting between those who want to destroy them and those who want to use them :)
Blackmoor relics? Will that include clones of Uthar & Co. waiting to be awakened? or should that little adventure be placed somewhere in the "known world"? Uthar, forewarned by the future adventurers, has a facility built somewhere on Brun to house the clones. Perhaps the facility is set to awaken them in the year AC1000 or maybe he expects the future adventurers to find & awaken them.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:02 pm

I will be more generic than that with items, ruins and such, but if you want to write a short scenario on the above for Threshold please do :-)

Gravesguardian
Ogre

Post by Gravesguardian » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:35 pm

Sturm wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:02 pm
I will be more generic than that with items, ruins and such, but if you want to write a short scenario on the above for Threshold please do :-)
All I'm good for is tossing out ideas...making them into something is for better heads than mine.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:29 pm

Ok maybe I will use it in Threshold giving you due credit :-)

Gravesguardian
Ogre

Post by Gravesguardian » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:01 pm

Thanks & good luck, I look forward to seeing what may come of it.

Return to “Mystara”