Mystara based flavour text in 5th ed publications

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Kilr Kowalski
Gnoll

Mystara based flavour text in 5th ed publications

Post by Kilr Kowalski » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:07 am

Hi,
I was reading the new unearthed arcana about the artificier class for 5th edn D&D. As usual there is a small flavour text section setting the context for the class. One section mentions th following:
An elf scrambles up the castle’s wall, Baron von Hendriks’ men close behind her. As she clambers over the battlements, she reaches into her satchel, pulls out three vials, mixes their contents into a small leather bag, and flings it at her pursuers. The bag bursts at their feet, trapping them in a thick, black glue as she makes her escape.
I am sure this is not indicative of Mystara products in the future but I am wondering if there is more Mystara themed flavour text that I have missed on my reading of 5th edition products. Do any of you recall any?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Mystara based flavour text in 5th ed publications

Post by Havard » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Fascinating!

I don't know if there are more of these, but there sure could be!

Two questions:

1) link?
2) Who is this elf and what was she up to? :ugeek: :cool:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Kilr Kowalski
Gnoll

Post by Kilr Kowalski » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi Havard-

Link.

The elf is not named, more an example of what may be an appropriate character representation of the class, not dissimilarly to the Class Race or Background Flavour text in the PHB.

The introduction of the article more completely states:
A gnome sits hunched over a workbench, carefully using needle and thread to wave runes into a leather satchel. The bag shudders as she completes her work, and a sudden, loud pop echoes through the room as a portal to an extra- dimensional space springs to being in the bag’s interior. She beams with pride at her newly crafted bag of holding.
A troll growls in hunger as it looms over a dwarf, who slides a long, metal tube from a holster at his belt. With a thunderous roar, a gout of flame erupts from the tube, and the troll’s growls turn into shrieks of panic as it turns to flee.
An elf scrambles up the castle’s wall, Baron von Hendriks’ men close behind her. As she clambers over the battlements, she reaches into her satchel, pulls out three vials, mixes their contents into a small leather bag, and flings it at her pursuers. The bag bursts at their feet, trapping them in a thick, black glue as she makes her escape.
Makers of magic-infused objects, artificers are defined by their inventive nature. Like wizards, they see magic as a complex system waiting to
be decoded and controlled through a combination of thorough study and investigation. Artificers, though, focus on creating marvelous new magical objects. Spells are often too ephemeral and temporary for their tastes. Instead, they seek to craft durable, useful items.
I find it interesting that the playtest seems to imply other settings than Eberron but I'm not convinced that this is anything other than a nod to past editions.

Of note, perhaps for a side thread, is the upcoming Tales from the Yawning Portal supplement. Although most of the modules they are converting are notably ascribed to or originating in Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms there has been talk from time to time on the Piazza, of these modules being appropriate for Mystara.

I guess what I'm driving at is are we finally getting something official that we can be happy is usable to the Mystara community?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:51 pm

Turns out this was a nod from Mike Mearls :)

Will comment more later Kilr, just very late here :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:13 pm

The artificer class would work pretty well with Mystara, I think, since it's one of the settings referenced in The Book of Wondrous Inventions. The alchemist would be more common in Glantri, while the gunsmith would work on the Savage Coast. I can see them coming out of Highforge in Karameikos and among the inventors of Rockhome, too.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:29 pm

Kilr Kowalski wrote:Hi Havard-

Link.

The elf is not named, more an example of what may be an appropriate character representation of the class, not dissimilarly to the Class Race or Background Flavour text in the PHB.

The introduction of the article more completely states:
A gnome sits hunched over a workbench, carefully using needle and thread to wave runes into a leather satchel. The bag shudders as she completes her work, and a sudden, loud pop echoes through the room as a portal to an extra- dimensional space springs to being in the bag’s interior. She beams with pride at her newly crafted bag of holding.
A troll growls in hunger as it looms over a dwarf, who slides a long, metal tube from a holster at his belt. With a thunderous roar, a gout of flame erupts from the tube, and the troll’s growls turn into shrieks of panic as it turns to flee.
Makers of magic-infused objects, artificers are defined by their inventive nature. Like wizards, they see magic as a complex system waiting to
be decoded and controlled through a combination of thorough study and investigation. Artificers, though, focus on creating marvelous new magical objects. Spells are often too ephemeral and temporary for their tastes. Instead, they seek to craft durable, useful items.
I find it interesting that the playtest seems to imply other settings than Eberron but I'm not convinced that this is anything other than a nod to past editions.
Thanks for posting the quotation!

I think you are right that this is just a nod.

On the other hand, I would like to think that this refers to an actual event that happened on Mystara. I want to know who these characters are, why at least one of them went up against the Black Eagle Baron (or maybe they all did?) and what happened to them?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Kilr Kowalski
Gnoll

Post by Kilr Kowalski » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:22 am

Hmm..

A female elf artificier alchemist.

Is she there to attack the Baron or to steal plans for a magical item?

Kilr Kowalski
Gnoll

Post by Kilr Kowalski » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:36 am

Havard, I missed the @MystaraWorld !!!

There is a lot of talk about Eberron being "Next" for D&D but I see cogent argument that WOTC is limiting liability by having minimal numbers of publications, making sure that they maximise profitability.

I wonder if they should just do a "Book of Worlds" with 10-15 pages per D&D setting introducing a small ruleset update for each setting (thus increased saleablity) and directing the interested parties to key works on DM'sguild (i.e advertising the old settings).

Maybe you could pass that on to your new best bud Mike. ;)

Kilr

Return to “Mystara”