Skothar development

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Skothar development

Post by Arnden Quartzspar » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:12 am

Looking at the map and other information from http://www.pandius.com/morient/morient.html I have compiled a list of countries on Skothar and will be developing a Gaz-F for Skothar.

Countries on Skothar as per the proposed map with their M-Orient name beside them.
I am going to research and compare notes with anyone willing to discuss and develop these areas.

Esterhold
Jen
MBhutan
Mchina Chung-Eun
Methiopia
Minaea
MIndochina
Mjapan Jikushiru
MKorea
MMalaysia
MManchuria
MMyanmar
MNepal
MSiberia
Mthailand
MTibet
Thonia

If you have any suggestions or additional info please comment. Thank you

Sturm
Green Dragon

Re: Skothar development

Post by Sturm » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:13 am

In the Hollow World boxed set and other fan works some of the above territories are already occupied by Tangor and generally by tanagoro men.
The above are all cultures inspired by Africa rather than Asia.
Still I'd like to use both ideas in Skothar so my solution is something like this:
Northern Skothar, as it was the location of Thonia and Blackmoor, should be the origin region of European like cultures like M-celts, slavs, germans, and so still inhabited by similar people (Netsun, Thonia)
Central Skothar, as it was the location of the Oltec people, i.e. M-Northern Asian/Amerindians should be inhabited by Mongolian-like populations (Empire of the Great Khan)
Western Skothar and the Alphatian Sea (Esterhold, Minaea) should have a bit of a Middle East feel, as the Jennites are inspired by the Scythians (so a sort of link between central asian and middle eastern cultures) and Minaea was later colonized by the Milenians, which are M-greek. Also the Lhomarrian, created by Geoff Gander and inspired by Atlantis, should also come originally from this area. I also assume that the Persian-like visuals we have in canon Alphatia come from native populations who were there before the Alphatians.
The Tangor Bay in Blackmoorian times (before 3000 BC) should have been inhabited by Tanagoro only (M-Africans) but after the Cataclysm I like to think it was partially colonized by northern men, i.e. M-Asians. This is not very different from the real world, as southern asia was originally inhabited by very different populations and later partially settled by northen asian.
So you could put there several M-asian nation but give them a Mystaran twist by mixing their culture with some Tanagoro and Rakastan influence. Rakasta should be common in the region and they may consider themselves the source of the M-asian cultures, or you could use for them the more supposedly ancient asian cultures, such as the Austroasiatics (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austroasiatic_languages) an idea I think was proposed by Giulio Caroletti here: http://pandius.com/romm_eth.html. He also developed Tangor a lot here: http://pandius.com/swanamu.html
The Tangor Chain and all Eastern Skothar should remain IMHO mostly a Tanagoro region, so M-Africans mostly, but you could easily fit a M-Ethiopia there, as it is as real world nation which was heavily influenced by the Middle East.

Traianus
Bugbear

Post by Traianus » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:21 pm

One of my simmering projects has been to flesh out a Minaea Gazetteer. In my take, 1000AC Minaea is inspired by Rome shortly after the Year of the Four Emperors (Thyatis is more M-Byzantium than M-Rome in my view), with its early connection to Milenia inspired by the Aeneid. Add in liberal doses of minotaurs, centaurs, devilfish, gator men and assorted lizardfolk, give or take 1000 years of enmity and warfare with Tangor, Alphatian propaganda and meddling, and orc barbarians...so many orc barbarians.
AC995-Traianus Decius Aureus- Praetorian Legate, Equites Laurifer, bearer of the Corona Civica, Corona Muralis and Corona Obsidionalis -delivered the motherland from the Thyatian occupation and was raised to the purple by the Praetorian Guard.

Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Post by Arnden Quartzspar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:19 am

I am compiling a folder of different pages/files from the Atlas at http://pandius.com/atlas.html and trying to separate them into time based (ie AC 1015) folders... I myself have been running a pre-WotI campaign, so I am alittle short on that time frame... If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
When I get enough info together I'm going to post a draft here.

Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Post by Arnden Quartzspar » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:59 am

I'm still compiling the different areas of Skothar and I am stuck on the Swanamutu regions of Southern Skothar. I know that Giulio Caroletti has written http://pandius.com/swanamu.html, but I would like to receive suggestions for Afridhi/African influenced city states to be included. I'm thinking of 4-6? empires based on historical Afridhi/African empires. (I'm hoping that I understand and am using Afridhi properly) But any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

Edit-I realized after writing this post that the http://pandius.com/swanamu.html listed Tangor areas and groups of interest. I will work with what is posted. Thank you for understanding.
Last edited by Arnden Quartzspar on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Post by Arnden Quartzspar » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:17 am

I'm going to include the following in the Skothar Development Project by region/country. But I'm willing to include any suggestions.

Demographics (County, Description, Further reading, etc. from the write ups)
Races
Classes
Monsters
Adventure hooks
Interactions with other countries

But again, any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:29 pm

If you mean the Afhridi from Blackmoor, I think the inspiration is central Asian, not African.
GP

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:03 pm

I think the word Afridhi is meant to sound like efreeti. They're fire-god worshipers and the efreet aided them in creating the Well of Souls.

Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Post by Arnden Quartzspar » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:12 am

Here is a outline of the Skothar project so far. If anyone has suggestions for improvement, I'm more than happy to hear from you. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DG5 ... p=drivesdk

oleck
Bugbear

Post by oleck » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:46 pm

Are those names the type of cultures they're going to be? Is this an alternative information or are u gonna use the official information like the names etc?

Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Post by Arnden Quartzspar » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:45 am

I was going to start by compiling all of the articles and information from the Vaults of Pandius, and any other sources that I can find. This is going to include the Dragon and Dungeon Magazine articles dealing with the Skothar/African/canon/fanon areas. So far the outline only includes the list from the Vaults. I know that I will probably miss something, and I am more than willing to take suggestions and critiques that anyone has.

oleck
Bugbear

Post by oleck » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:20 am

Well first of all I think is a very good project. Maybe you could start with a more detail map dividing the continent with combining mystara skrotar with your idea. So we could have a better idea of how you plan to do that. Second try to develop each country, first the ones that you can get more information and at last the places there is no info. It's easier that way because you will just compile info and try to unify criteria on different ideas. The countries that don't have info, you can put whatever you want but try to consider the countries that are close, the final project everything will be connected. hope it can help you in some way. After that maybe you can get other persons to help you develop countries.

Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Post by Arnden Quartzspar » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:17 am

So, I've been working on this for a year. Unfortunately RL has set me back somewhat. I'm still gathering information on the southern half of Skothar. I haven't decided on artwork for the book yet. And I'm still trying to finalize what to have in the first printing. More information and an excerpt will be available soon.

Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Post by Arnden Quartzspar » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:24 pm

I found an atlas entry for the Jennite area of Skothar in PWA III. I had to type out the information for my project, but thought that a copy should be included in the Vaults. I'm trying to have all of the entries organized the same way for ease or reading, but I am willing to take comments and criticisms.

Jen (the land of)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PRxYE ... Nu1mKUOwd0

Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Post by Arnden Quartzspar » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:15 am

I have been refining my listing and will post an update soon.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:29 am

lol...I placed my smurfs article on Skothar....mostly designated area north of Esterhold, south and east of the Bay of Thorin...mainly because this is the area where in RL Nederland and Belgie come to be (as the smurfs creators are belgian).
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Post by Arnden Quartzspar » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:19 am

Here is the latest version of my Skothar Development Project.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-zv ... p=drivesdk
Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.
Edit-I realized after writing this post that I forgot to mention the key to it.
Red and green letters are in different stages of development.
Bold words are newer areas of Skothar development, either listed by country name or civilisation RW equivalent.

Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Post by Zendrolion » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:25 pm

A good frame for further development, Arnden! :)

I'd just wish to point out some canon sources about Skothar, to make sure nothing is left behind.

* Dawn of the Emperors: Has infos about Esterhold, of course, and implicitly about the Alphatians' relation with the Jennites; sparse mentions of Minaea.

* Poor Wizard's Almanac III (AC 1012) Has entires for Esterhold Peninsula, Land of Jen, and Minaean Coast; included also a NPC description of Xanthus (King of Blackrock).

* M2 Vengeance of Alphaks: Description of Norlan of Qeodhar's mercenary forces, which include troops from Thonia and Minaea (could be used to flesh out details about those countries' armed forces or combat styles; as a side note, Thonian mercenaries inlude many spellcasting pegataurs).

* DA1 Adventures in Blackmoor: In the introductory text narrating Thonia/Blackmoor demise in the Great Rain of Fire, are found a couple of interesting mentions I'm quoting below (underlining is mine):

Before there was Thyatis – before there was Hyboria – before there was the land of Norwold – before the cruel Nentsun built their longships or the Four Kingdoms fought their deadly wars – before the dread Alphatians fell from the sky – before all this, there was Thonia. Not the Thonia of our time. No. That barren, frozen Thonia is but a pale shadow of the Thonia that was, and the mind can but weep at the sightless vision of its past glory.

Saying "Thonia of our time", here the author likely is referring to the northern coast of the Bay of Thorin in Skothar, in the area labeled "Thonian Marches" in HW outer world map. Very interesting is also the mention of the Nentsun - seemingly a seafaring, raider, Viking-like (maybe post-Skandaharian) culture.

* IM3 The Best of Intentions: In the adventure's prologue (set in present time, around 1000 AC), one "Marick of Glevum, Archbishop of Thonia and High Cleric of Serison", is mentioned. The short narrative makes also clear that Thonia has a king, and seemingly an official and structured religion (there's mention of a cathedral whose bells ring in important occasions). Now, "Glevum" is almost certainly a place (town, village or city - could be Marick's birthplace or his religious seat). "Archbishop of Thonia" could mean that (a) the capital city of (New) Thonia is also called "Thonia", and that is the seat of Marick; or (b) "Archbishop" is the highest title in the Thonian church (like "Pope" in the Roman Catholic Church, so "Archbishop of Thonia" is like saying "Pope of Rome" - simply meaning he is the highest religious authority of the country). Lastly, "High Cleric of Serison" could refer to an additional charge (if "Serison" is a place, as fan works have so far assumed - this would mean that there is a difference between places having an "Archbishop" and places having a "High Cleric") or a religious title regarding an Immortal (if "Serison" is instead a god).

* Dragon Magazine #153: Here, where the tale of Haldemar and of the Princess Ark starts, is found the infamous "Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!" map, which is commented by Haldemar (in-character narration). About Zyxl, the Alphatian prince says:

Zyxl (a deceased gladiatorial hero whom the general claimed was also a fallen queen of that same nation)

The "general" here is the Thyatian commander who labeled the map (erroneously, according to Haldemar) placing arbitrary names. Actually, the name "Zyxl" as well as others (Tangor, for instance) are used by native people as well (see additional quotes, below), so it's unlikely they're derived from the Thyatian "wrong" map. Thus Haldemar's prejudice against the map cannot be fully trusted. That being the case, maybe the tale of the "fallen queen" Zyxl could hide some truth...

* Dragon Magazine #194: The "Known World Grimoire" column includes an answer by Bruce Heard about Minaea:

Minaeans were referred to as pirates many years ago in module M2 Vengeance of Alphaks. Minaea never fell under Alphatian domination. It marks the far-eastern limit of Alphatia’s power and influence, prior to the latter’s disappearance from the surface world (see the Wrath of the Immortals boxed set). It is virtually unknown to typical Known World people because it is so remote. The only “civilized” people who would really know about the Minaeans are Bellissarians, especially those at the heavily fortified town of Spearpoint. The latter view Minaeans as bloodthirsty pirates. Based upon the location of the races in Mystara described in the HOLLOW WORLD® boxed set, Minaeans would have to be descendants of the fierce Jennites (horse-riders derived from real-world ancient Scythians). The present Minaeans could also be derived from Conan’s mysterious Pictish warriors, given some additional seafaring experience.

* Dragon Magazine #197: Still another answer by Heard in the "Known World Grimoire" column about Minaean and Alphatian city-states in Esterhold:

Have Port Marlin, Rock Harbor, and Anchorage become independent city-states after the sinking of Alphatia? Is Minaea a city-state, a kingdom, or a republic of pirates?

Without the Alphatian overlords to keep the peace, some of these places might decide to become heavily-militarized, despotic states to fend off barbarian pressure or banditry. Some might fall prey to local ways and become pirate havens, while others would become open to barbarian rule, paying wondrous tributes of magic or wealth to barbarian kings in exchange for protection and freedom. Either way, without Alphatian supremacy, they would all become independent states struggling for survival. As for Minaea, it could be a loose confederation of piratical tribes whose main target is the coast of Eastern Bellissaria and merchant traffic in the Strait of Minaea. These pirates would not be averse to minor incursions into Bellissaria for the purpose of sacking poorly defended cities.

* Dragon Magazine #200: The article by Heard about the Eshu and Aeryl, in the Immortal's Arm (Brun), includes some sparse notes about Zyxl and Tangor:

I thought it was my worst luck since I inherited my father’s business. I had purchased bundles of northern furs hoping to trade them back to the warriors of Zyxl in exchange for a handful of their strange gems. Alas, their galley never saw the docks of Dogon, and I was stuck with rolls of furs no one in Gombar would want. Worse yet, I feared they might rot in the Strait of Tangor’s warm climate. [Speech by a Gombarian merchant.]

Zyxl is seemingly famous for its warriors and "strange gems", and its people is used to brave the sea.

The two nations [Gombar and Suma'a on the Immortal's Arm] on the other side of the Great Immortals Shield have been settled by a race of civilized demi-ogres (mixed human Tanagoro blood) from Tangor. Their kingdoms are made up of merchant-principalities more interested in sea trade than overland exploration. They know of the strait between the southern end of the Arm of the Immortals and Davania that leads to the Western Sea. They haven’t settled it because they think only savage nations exist beyond.

So, the Tangor peninsula is inhabited by this culture of "civilized demi-ogres"; some fan works called them "Tanagogres" (a Tanagoro humans-ogres mix).

* Dragon Magazine #237: Heard's article about Mystara's lupins mentions Nentsun in the Norwold Malamutes' paragraph:

The Norwold malamute naturally knows its way through the dark, polar rim leading to Mystara’s Hollow World. Early on, malamute clans learned to follow migratory paths across the frozen Nentsun Channel and the Hyborean Ice Pack.

* Dragon Magazine #247: Heard's article about Mystara's rakasta mentions Skothar various times:

Fast runners also survive in the southern Steps of Jen on Skothar and on the Isle of Dawn’s southern plateaus.
The life of the fast runners remains indeed a difficult one. […] Elsewhere, Thothian monarchs and Jennite warlords who wish to bolster the ranks of their armies often seek their services, often with less than amicable terms. The rich and the powerful covet them as household hunters and status symbols. Unfortunately, the fast runners are too few truly to challenge these difficult neighbors.

Cloud Pardasta live in the forests of Bellissaria and Skothar, along the Minaean Coast, Tangor Bay, and the Tangor Peninsula. On Skothar, they call themselves Rimau-Dahan – literally, fork-of-branch tigers. […] Cloud pardasta clans are tucked away in small villages built on the branches of very tall trees, virtually invisible from the ground.

Note that "rimau-dahan" is a real-world abbreviated Malay word for "clouded leopard". These Cloud Pardasta should therefore speak an M-Malay tongue.

This strange rakasta [the Lynxman] claimed the coldest regions of Mystara. On Davania, these nomads travel as far as the southern tip of the Brasol Range. On Skothar and Brun, they do not venture past the Nentsun Plateaus, the Hyborean Reaches, or the Wyrmsteeth Range.

Mightiest among the greater rakasta, sherkasta prowl the forests and swamps of southern Skothar. Some have also claimed the mountain forests of northern Skothar. The southerners, who call themselves the Harimau-Belang, remains the most common. Their base color runs from reddish-orange to reddish-yellow, with dark stripes and white or cream fur inside their limbs. Their northern cousins, the Tagh, show a thicker, light grey or white pelage, with brown or black stripes.

Again, "harimau belang" is the real-world Indonesian word for "striped tiger"; the Sherkasta should then speak an M-Indonesian tongue. Coupled with the quotation above about the Cloud Pardasta, this might mean that the rakasta of southern Skothar speak languages belonging to the M-Austronesian family. Since, according to agathokles' Gazetteer of Myoshima, the Tagh Sherkasta were heavily influenced by the pachydermions' (M-Indian/Burmese-like) culture, it's possible that countries like M-Bhutan or M-Nepal could have something to do with them.

Snow pardasta tribes are scattered above forest lines on the northern mountains of Skothar (Nentsun Plateaus) and Brun (Hyborean Reaches, Norwold).

That's all I can think of about Skothar. To get a possible picture of rakasta presence in Skothar, you can take a look at a map I did ten years ago; the timeline it is part of could be outdated (agathokles' has written a new rakasta timeline in Threshold #5), but the placement of the rakasta breeds should still be correct.

About Zyxl and Tangor, consider that the realms of Gombar and Suma'a (those established in the Immortal's Arm by the colonizing civilized demi-ogres from Tangor) are mercantile-oriented and seemingly featuring a tolerant and peaceful religion (at least, Dragon Magazine #200 features a speech by a missionary from Sum'a which has this character). Zyxl, as you indicated in the frame of your project, could certainly be populated by demi-ogres, but they should - canonwise - be prominent in the Tangor Peninsula (or part of it) as well, since the colonists of Gombar and Suma'a come from Tangor.

Years ago, I had envisioned a large, decadent empire of demi-ogres in the Tangor Peninsula - something like the late Mughal Empire, formally united under one ruler, but actually an extremely loose federation dominated by mercantile interests (think of a demi-ogre East India Company). Unfortunately I never had time to write down those ideas into something more structured. Thinking about it again, several scenarios could be possible; I'm dropping here some inconsistent ideas that have just come to my mind:

1) The demi-ogres originated many centuries ago when a number of ogres conquered the local humans; the old "pureblood" aristocracy of the empire is then made up of ogres, whose blood has been progressively "polluted" by intermarriage with subject races, while the middle-class is made of demi-ogres and has gradually risen to power. Tensions could arise as the old ogre aristocracy tries to stress blood purity to keep out of political power those with mixed blood. Revolution-like conflict between emerging mercantile interests and old aristocracy are possible, augmented by ethnic divisions. Maybe those tensions also arise from religion, due to a more peaceful, tolerant religion practiced by the demi-ogres against the old, warlike religion of the ogre aristocracy.

2) The tensions above could have led to migrations due to ethnic or religious persecutions; those migrations might be the origin of the settlement of the Immortal's Arm in Brun (think of demi-ogre Pilgrim Fathers! ;) ). Then additional colonization efforts maybe were carried on after new trade routes or resources were discovered, leading to the founding of more colonies and to the rise of one or more powerful mercantile houses/companies which dominate trade throughout the Tangor-Immortal's Arm area.

3) Depending on the points above, an American Independence War-like scenario could be possible (or maybe has already happened) as colonies struggle (or have struggles) for independence after the empire tries to impose stricter control over them, leading to conflict. Since - according to Thorf's newer maps - the distance between Tangor and the Immortal's Arm in Brun is half the planet, it could be likely that there was some land between Tangor and Brun which the demi-ogres already colonized, and from whom they colonized Gombar and Sum'a later. In the end, after an "US Independence War" scenario, we could end up with an "old empire" in Tangor, a "new republic" in some middle territory in the sea between Tangor and Brun, and some loose realms like Gombar and Suma'a in the farthest regions.

That's all, hope this helps! ;)
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:50 am

Zendrolion wrote:
The two nations [Gombar and Suma'a on the Immortal's Arm] on the other side of the Great Immortals Shield have been settled by a race of civilized demi-ogres (mixed human Tanagoro blood) from Tangor. Their kingdoms are made up of merchant-principalities more interested in sea trade than overland exploration. They know of the strait between the southern end of the Arm of the Immortals and Davania that leads to the Western Sea. They haven’t settled it because they think only savage nations exist beyond.
Since - according to Thorf's newer maps - the distance between Tangor and the Immortal's Arm in Brun is half the planet, it could be likely that there was some land between Tangor and Brun which the demi-ogres already colonized, and from whom they colonized Gombar and Sum'a later.
Since we have a clash here between canon text based on an inaccurate map vs an accurate map, we could say the Gombar and Suma'a were perhaps colonised by a Tangor Skyship instead?
I'd have to read up on Gombar and Suma'a so I'm speculating here.. but perhaps the Skyskip was blown off course and perhaps it was a 1 way trip. They crashed and thus colonised the area. Perhaps it was 2 skyships - one called Gombar and one called Suma'a.

Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Post by Zendrolion » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:37 am

Morfie wrote:Since we have a clash here between canon text based on an inaccurate map vs an accurate map, we could say the Gombar and Suma'a were perhaps colonised by a Tangor Skyship instead?
I'd have to read up on Gombar and Suma'a so I'm speculating here.. but perhaps the Skyskip was blown off course and perhaps it was a 1 way trip. They crashed and thus colonised the area. Perhaps it was 2 skyships - one called Gombar and one called Suma'a.
It's certainly a possibility. However, it raises me some doubts:

a) a couple of skyships manned by, say, 50-60 demi-ogres each, are truly enough to found two large, durable, prosperous realms?
b) if they lost all contacts with their motherland in Tangor, they would not stay "civilized" for much time, I suppose - assimilation by surrounding tribes or regress to a more simple way of life would have been likely in that case.
c) if they did keep some contacts with their motherland in Tangor, why they stayed in the Immortal's Arm and did not sailed back? If they found resources here and decided to stay nothwithstanding help from Tangor, then the problem of uncommon (at least) contact with Tangor represents itself.
d) this is my taste, but I'd not overdo with skyships - skyships don't travel much faster than sailing ships, so if a "blown off-course" event is what happened here, it could apply to a sailing ship as well.

All in all, I don't think we should devise something extravagant for the settlement of Gombar and Suma'a; a colony halfway around the world from the motherland is possible (think of the Spanish Filipines). What I was saying is that we can't have demi-ogres colonies in the Immortal's Arm from Tangor and absolutely nothing in the interposing ocean: this would be quite unlikely, and in this case only we should be spurred to devise alternative explanations. Otherwise, hypotheses like the one of the skyships are certainly viable, but we could also go with a more "standard" approach. ;)
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:50 pm

Morfie wrote: Since we have a clash here between canon text based on an inaccurate map vs an accurate map, we could say the Gombar and Suma'a were perhaps colonised by a Tangor Skyship instead?
Not very likely. As reported in Zendrolion's excellent compilation, Gombar and Suma'a are still in contact with Tangor nations, so they can't be just a completely isolated colony.
Although it is relatively unlikely, a large swath of ocean is not a completely impossible case.

GP

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:43 am

Although it is relatively unlikely, a large swath of ocean is not a completely impossible case.
GP
Actually that is true, and there is historical precedence. The Polynesians did it. We just need island hopping... for Seaships. :)

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:49 am

Yes. Of course I would not expect vast landmasses in the Farend ocean, but any number of sub-72 miles islands could easily exist.

GP

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:56 am

The issue of islands in the Far End Ocean came up elsewhere. The Jurassic map has no data for most of this ocean, since the vast majority of the seabed has since been subducted back into the mantle and replaced with newer seabed. At the same time, no Mystaran map exists for it either, as we all know.

This leads me to conclude that we can freely place as many small islands and archipelagoes as we like in the ocean. I don't think they necessarily all have to be smaller than 72 miles, although that's not at all bad as a guideline, and I agree that in general they should all be pretty small.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:59 pm

Morfie wrote:Actually that is true, and there is historical precedence. The Polynesians did it. We just need island hopping... for Seaships. :)
Or they could ride around on the shells of titanic sea turtles. Or like the floating algae island in Life of Pi. Islands that can't be charted because they move.

Return to “Mystara”