Skothar development

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Skothar development

Postby Arnden Quartzspar » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:12 am

Looking at the map and other information from http://www.pandius.com/morient/morient.html I have compiled a list of countries on Skothar and will be developing a Gaz-F for Skothar.

Countries on Skothar as per the proposed map with their M-Orient name beside them.
I am going to research and compare notes with anyone willing to discuss and develop these areas.

Esterhold
Jen
MBhutan
Mchina Chung-Eun
Methiopia
Minaea
MIndochina
Mjapan Jikushiru
MKorea
MMalaysia
MManchuria
MMyanmar
MNepal
MSiberia
Mthailand
MTibet
Thonia

If you have any suggestions or additional info please comment. Thank you
Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Re: Skothar development

Postby Sturm » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:13 pm

In the Hollow World boxed set and other fan works some of the above territories are already occupied by Tangor and generally by tanagoro men.
The above are all cultures inspired by Africa rather than Asia.
Still I'd like to use both ideas in Skothar so my solution is something like this:
Northern Skothar, as it was the location of Thonia and Blackmoor, should be the origin region of European like cultures like M-celts, slavs, germans, and so still inhabited by similar people (Netsun, Thonia)
Central Skothar, as it was the location of the Oltec people, i.e. M-Northern Asian/Amerindians should be inhabited by Mongolian-like populations (Empire of the Great Khan)
Western Skothar and the Alphatian Sea (Esterhold, Minaea) should have a bit of a Middle East feel, as the Jennites are inspired by the Scythians (so a sort of link between central asian and middle eastern cultures) and Minaea was later colonized by the Milenians, which are M-greek. Also the Lhomarrian, created by Geoff Gander and inspired by Atlantis, should also come originally from this area. I also assume that the Persian-like visuals we have in canon Alphatia come from native populations who were there before the Alphatians.
The Tangor Bay in Blackmoorian times (before 3000 BC) should have been inhabited by Tanagoro only (M-Africans) but after the Cataclysm I like to think it was partially colonized by northern men, i.e. M-Asians. This is not very different from the real world, as southern asia was originally inhabited by very different populations and later partially settled by northen asian.
So you could put there several M-asian nation but give them a Mystaran twist by mixing their culture with some Tanagoro and Rakastan influence. Rakasta should be common in the region and they may consider themselves the source of the M-asian cultures, or you could use for them the more supposedly ancient asian cultures, such as the Austroasiatics (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austroasiatic_languages) an idea I think was proposed by Giulio Caroletti here: http://pandius.com/romm_eth.html. He also developed Tangor a lot here: http://pandius.com/swanamu.html
The Tangor Chain and all Eastern Skothar should remain IMHO mostly a Tanagoro region, so M-Africans mostly, but you could easily fit a M-Ethiopia there, as it is as real world nation which was heavily influenced by the Middle East.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Traianus » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:21 pm

One of my simmering projects has been to flesh out a Minaea Gazetteer. In my take, 1000AC Minaea is inspired by Rome shortly after the Year of the Four Emperors (Thyatis is more M-Byzantium than M-Rome in my view), with its early connection to Milenia inspired by the Aeneid. Add in liberal doses of minotaurs, centaurs, devilfish, gator men and assorted lizardfolk, give or take 1000 years of enmity and warfare with Tangor, Alphatian propaganda and meddling, and orc barbarians...so many orc barbarians.
AC995-Traianus Decius Aureus- Praetorian Legate, Equites Laurifer, bearer of the Corona Civica, Corona Muralis and Corona Obsidionalis -delivered the motherland from the Thyatian occupation and was raised to the purple by the Praetorian Guard.
Traianus
Bugbear

Postby Arnden Quartzspar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:19 am

I am compiling a folder of different pages/files from the Atlas at http://pandius.com/atlas.html and trying to separate them into time based (ie AC 1015) folders... I myself have been running a pre-WotI campaign, so I am alittle short on that time frame... If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
When I get enough info together I'm going to post a draft here.
Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Postby Arnden Quartzspar » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:59 am

I'm still compiling the different areas of Skothar and I am stuck on the Swanamutu regions of Southern Skothar. I know that Giulio Caroletti has written http://pandius.com/swanamu.html, but I would like to receive suggestions for Afridhi/African influenced city states to be included. I'm thinking of 4-6? empires based on historical Afridhi/African empires. (I'm hoping that I understand and am using Afridhi properly) But any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

Edit-I realized after writing this post that the http://pandius.com/swanamu.html listed Tangor areas and groups of interest. I will work with what is posted. Thank you for understanding.
Last edited by Arnden Quartzspar on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Postby Arnden Quartzspar » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:17 am

I'm going to include the following in the Skothar Development Project by region/country. But I'm willing to include any suggestions.

Demographics (County, Description, Further reading, etc. from the write ups)
Races
Classes
Monsters
Adventure hooks
Interactions with other countries

But again, any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you
Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Postby agathokles » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:29 pm

If you mean the Afhridi from Blackmoor, I think the inspiration is central Asian, not African.
GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby ripvanwormer » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:03 pm

I think the word Afridhi is meant to sound like efreeti. They're fire-god worshipers and the efreet aided them in creating the Well of Souls.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Arnden Quartzspar » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:12 am

Here is a outline of the Skothar project so far. If anyone has suggestions for improvement, I'm more than happy to hear from you. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DG5 ... p=drivesdk
Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Postby oleck » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:46 pm

Are those names the type of cultures they're going to be? Is this an alternative information or are u gonna use the official information like the names etc?
oleck
Bugbear

Postby Arnden Quartzspar » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:45 am

I was going to start by compiling all of the articles and information from the Vaults of Pandius, and any other sources that I can find. This is going to include the Dragon and Dungeon Magazine articles dealing with the Skothar/African/canon/fanon areas. So far the outline only includes the list from the Vaults. I know that I will probably miss something, and I am more than willing to take suggestions and critiques that anyone has.
Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Postby oleck » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:20 am

Well first of all I think is a very good project. Maybe you could start with a more detail map dividing the continent with combining mystara skrotar with your idea. So we could have a better idea of how you plan to do that. Second try to develop each country, first the ones that you can get more information and at last the places there is no info. It's easier that way because you will just compile info and try to unify criteria on different ideas. The countries that don't have info, you can put whatever you want but try to consider the countries that are close, the final project everything will be connected. hope it can help you in some way. After that maybe you can get other persons to help you develop countries.
oleck
Bugbear

Return to Mystara