Mystara Diseases & Afflictions

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII

Mystara Diseases & Afflictions

Postby Havard » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:10 pm

Below are the diseases I have found that could exist on Mystara. Do you know of others?

A few of these seem a bit odd to consider diseases. Stuttering and Nervous Breakdowns are conditions, but perhaps not proper diseases? Their sources do suggest that they can be cured by Clerics. I have not included other mental illnesses such as the madness caused by Contact Outer Planes.

What about the plague that spread in Glantri during WotI? Was it a variant of the Bubonic Plague? Or something else?

See also my article on diseases from the Blackmoor Era:
http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.no/200 ... kmoor.html

See also 3rd Edition diseases: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Disease

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Mystara Diseases

Postby Angelika Tatsu » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:15 pm

Havard wrote:A few of these seem a bit odd to consider diseases. Stuttering and Nervous Breakdowns are conditions, but perhaps not proper diseases? Their sources do suggest that they can be cured by Clerics. I have not included other mental illnesses such as the madness caused by Contact Outer Planes.
Perhaps they are only treated as diseases for the purposes of curing them. If that is the case the inherent suggestion of the rules seem to imply that afflictions can be removed the same way as diseases.
In morte veritá.

Projects: Erath (TBD), Sundered Realms
Angelika Tatsu
Ogre

Postby RobJN » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:59 pm

Don't forget the rotting disease caused by (mis)use of Radiance-based magics in Gaz 3
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Sturm » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Angelika Tatsu wrote:
Havard wrote:A few of these seem a bit odd to consider diseases. Stuttering and Nervous Breakdowns are conditions, but perhaps not proper diseases? Their sources do suggest that they can be cured by Clerics. I have not included other mental illnesses such as the madness caused by Contact Outer Planes.
Perhaps they are only treated as diseases for the purposes of curing them. If that is the case the inherent suggestion of the rules seem to imply that afflictions can be removed the same way as diseases.

Note that these conditions in Gaz10 are meant to be a bit humourous. Probably should be considered common diseases due to the difficult conditions in the Broken Lands and also the degenerative diseases humanoids may suffer at old age. In this case Nervous Breakdown would be caused by the stressful life in the horde, while stuttering could be a disease of the throath, the tongue or the mind.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Re: Mystara Diseases & Afflictions

Postby ripvanwormer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:35 pm

Did the plague that struck Glantri in 802 AC ever get a name?

GAZ3 page 5 wrote:Later during the war, word spreads that gold is to be found in the mountains. Dwarves from the eastern mountain ranges arrive to form lawless, armed bands. At the same time, a plague strikes the nation, afflicting more than half the population. Suspicious of the dwarves, who resist the disease better, the settlers accuse them of bringing the pestilence with them.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:00 pm

Very nice! :cool:

We used to call Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "Shell Shock" back in the Great War (World War I).

I don't know if BECMI had magical spells for Blindness and Deafness (and a Remove Blindness/Deafness spell to cure those conditions) but I would think that curing a stutter or a nervous breakdown would be fairly similar (for a Cleric).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:33 pm

Angelika Tatsu wrote:them. If that is the case the inherent suggestion of the rules seem to imply that afflictions can be removed the same way as diseases.

Good input! I changed the thread's title to Mystara Diseases & Afflictions :)

Yes, Cure Disease can remove a wide range of negative effects

RobJN wrote:Don't forget the rotting disease caused by (mis)use of Radiance-based magics in Gaz 3

Good one!

I added that one and a few others:
Green Slime Affliction
Dusanu Rot
Hivebrood Parasites
Wasting Disease
Rat's Disease

I also removed the Bhut Lycanthropy. There is no evidence that Bhut are created through disease.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:44 pm

Sturm wrote:Note that these conditions in Gaz10 are meant to be a bit humourous. Probably should be considered common diseases due to the difficult conditions in the Broken Lands and also the degenerative diseases humanoids may suffer at old age. In this case Nervous Breakdown would be caused by the stressful life in the horde, while stuttering could be a disease of the throath, the tongue or the mind.

I like the idea of stuttering for goblinoids possibly being related to throad diseases common in the Brokenlands.

ripvanwormer wrote:Did the plague that struck Glantri in 802 AC ever get a name?

GAZ3 page 5 wrote:Later during the war, word spreads that gold is to be found in the mountains. Dwarves from the eastern mountain ranges arrive to form lawless, armed bands. At the same time, a plague strikes the nation, afflicting more than half the population. Suspicious of the dwarves, who resist the disease better, the settlers accuse them of bringing the pestilence with them.

That is a good one too. I wonder if that is a different strain of the one that returned during WotI? Possibly the actual Plague? (Bubonic)?

Big Mac wrote:I don't know if BECMI had magical spells for Blindness and Deafness (and a Remove Blindness/Deafness spell to cure those conditions) but I would think that curing a stutter or a nervous breakdown would be fairly similar (for a Cleric).

Cure Blindness is a separate spell from Cure Disease. The Horn of Blasting can cause temporary deafness. I don't know if any spell that could specifically cure deafness, but I would probably allow Cure Disease for that. There is also Cureall and Heal which could probably cure just about anything. Wishes too, obviously.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Traianus » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:05 pm

Check out the Eastern Countries Trail Map. It has a table "Medical Advisory" which list a number of ailments by location, when the risk for contraction is greatest, and the symptoms.
AC995-Traianus Decius Aureus- Praetorian Legate, Equites Laurifer, bearer of the Corona Civica, Corona Muralis and Corona Obsidionalis -delivered the motherland from the Thyatian occupation and was raised to the purple by the Praetorian Guard.
Traianus
Bugbear

Postby Robin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:07 pm

Hi...yes I am back home from the hospital...still not 100%...but I could not view this without responding.
Your research in Mystara diseases is something I've done much earlier as a section of my Compilation book on clerical spelss and whatever.
Although i do not have (or knew about) anything of D&D supplement 2 (or 1 btw)...most of your list I had already interred within...and ...a lot more....
I used all Gazeteers, Trail maps, almanacs, story books, adventures and accessories I have.
Hope you like it
The following link gives way to the PDF of that work about diseases and Afflictions on Mystara...and some more stuff on healing.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5L0rnHMuzezUTNhY3dTTVdmeWM/view?usp=sharing
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Fire Giant

Postby Havard » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:11 am

Robin wrote:Hi...yes I am back home from the hospital...still not 100%...but I could not view this without responding.
Your research in Mystara diseases is something I've done much earlier as a section of my Compilation book on clerical spelss and whatever.
Although i do not have (or knew about) anything of D&D supplement 2 (or 1 btw)...most of your list I had already interred within...and ...a lot more....
I used all Gazeteers, Trail maps, almanacs, story books, adventures and accessories I have.
Hope you like it
The following link gives way to the PDF of that work about diseases and Afflictions on Mystara...and some more stuff on healing.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5L0rnHMuzezUTNhY3dTTVdmeWM/view?usp=sharing

Hello Robin!
Glad to hear you are recovering! :)

I will take a look at your PDF, it looks really helpful :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:14 am

Traianus wrote:Check out the Eastern Countries Trail Map. It has a table "Medical Advisory" which list a number of ailments by location, when the risk for contraction is greatest, and the symptoms.

Thanks! I had not looked at that map for quite some time. I have added all the ailments from TM1 now. :)

I also added various mental conditions from the RC (Insanity, confusion) as well as Blindness and Deafness. I also added Red Curse Affliction from the Red Steel Boxed Set.

I decided that the Brain Rot found in Soderford (TM1) is a more severe form of the Chronic Brain Rot sometimes found in the Brokenlands (Gaz10). The TM1 form is described as deadly.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:07 pm

IM2 describes a pestilence that afflicted Corunglain "generations ago," "born on a bitter wind." The healer Ascalon encountered a demon in the Broken Lands whose breath was the cause of the pestilence.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby micky » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:52 pm

Havard wrote:
ripvanwormer wrote:Did the plague that struck Glantri in 802 AC ever get a name?

That is a good one too. I wonder if that is a different strain of the one that returned during WotI? Possibly the actual Plague? (Bubonic)?

I would tend to think they are different.... one the early one was created by that humanoid Immortal whose name escapes me. The other was natural. One could call it bubonic. Since one devastated Glantri's population and the other didn't.. I'd say the immortal created one was a much less deadly one. Less infectious.. lower mortality rates than the natural one which sprung up during WotI which tore up Heldann, Ethengar and Glantri. All 3 rural societies which might explain the slightly less (15-20%) death ratesthat if urban similar to medieval europe .. you would have likely seen the 30%+ off all population death tolls as seen in historical outbreaks of such deadly plagues.

which also btw is another log on the fire for writing up Thar's invasion... so were humanoids immune.. if one in every 5 humanoids was dropping dead, spreading it...and we know just how santiary humanoids are. :lol: His army would have likely fallen apart well before the actual siege was broken. By the WotI they were besieging Glantri City at the time it hit and still were by the ran its course. Yet by the WotI it sure seems Thar and his army skated right through it. Likely sloppy writing.. but it is the job to reconcile the canon broad strokes to plausibility and reality when you get into the minutia. And lord knows we are pros in making the inane, insane, implausible, or simply incomprehensible things that later canon gave us.. work somehow under the light of heavy detail. I'll have to think that over.

Likely another subtopic for that writeup.. the Great Plague.
He does not have a mandate. He does not have large congressional majorities. If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump
micky
Cloud Giant

Return to Mystara