Demons (Fiends)

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Demons (Fiends)

Post by Havard » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:33 pm

Exalted Level Demons
See also this thread about Champions of Integration for the non-Entropic equivalents.

[b]NAME[/b] | [b]SOURCE[/b] |[b] NOTES[/b] Demon, Screaming |Gold Box p 29 | Renamed Fiend in WotI. A more powerful version of Vrock in other editions. Demon , Croaking |Gold Box p 29 | Renamed Fiend in WotI. A more powerful version of Herzou in other editions. Demon, Howling |Gold Box p 29 | Renamed Fiend in WotI. A more powerful version of Glabrezu in other editions. Demon, Groaning |Gold Box p 29 | Renamed Fiend in WotI. A more powerful version of Nalfeshnee in other editions. Demon, Hissing |Gold Box p 29 | Renamed Fiend in WotI. A more powerful version of Marilith in other editions. Demon, Roaring |Gold Box p 29 | Renamed Fiend in WotI. A more powerful version of Balor in other editions. Demon, Whispering |Gold Box p 30 | Renamed Fiend in WotI. A more powerful version of Succubus in other editions.

Lesser Demons
[b]NAME[/b] | [b]SOURCE[/b] | [b]NOTES[/b] Hell Hound | RC | Death Demon (Ostegos) | AC9 | Also, Death Fiend Lamara | AC9 | Possibly reated to Lamia of other editions, but Lamara have snake like bodies rather than lion bodies. Related to Hissing Demons? Dusanu | Ac9 | Also called Rot Fiend Nightmare | AC9 | Also called Hell Horse [s]Homunculus, Ulzaq[/s]| AC9 | Bogan (Familiar) | MMCA| Four Winged, tiny humanoid wth scaled tail. Evil. Imp, Red | Gaz 3 | Red Imps can become Exalted Demons if they collect enough souls. Other Imps (Blue, Wood, Bog etc) are not Demons. Fiend, Navarezan | Savage Coast MCA| Feeds on fear, paranoia. Inquisition Legacy Leech | Savage Coast MCA | Essence of a demon (Tanar'ri) banished to the Prime Plane. Appears as a Red Steel weapon. Utukku | Savage Coast MCA | In the SC MCA said to be natives of Carceri Nuckalavee | RC | Related to Centaurs Nightshade, Nightwalker | RC | Nightmare Creature Nightshade, Nightcrawler | RC | Nightmare Creature Nightshade, Nightwing | RC | Nightmare Creature Dark Warrior | Shadow over Mystara | Could be related to Nightwalkers Dark Warrior, lesser | Shadow over Mystara | Could be related to Nightwalkers

Named Demons
[b]NAME[/b] | [b]SOURCE[/b] | [b]NOTES[/b] Orcus |Gold Box, WotI | Described as a Demon Prince Demogorgon | Gold Box, WotI | Described as a Demon Prince Alphaks | WotI, M1, M2, DotE| Formerly a Roaring Demon Atzanteotl | Gaz 13, WotI | Formerly a Screeming Demon (Gaz 13) Leptar | WotI | Referred to in WotI as an Immortal Fiend (Celestial). Razrog | Gaz 11 p 58 | Roaring Demon (Exalted), found in Itheldown, Darokin Ranivorus (Yeenoghu) | Gaz7, WotI | Formerly a Howling Demon. Patron of Gnolls Drekk | IM1 | Screaming Demon Hircismus | IM3 | Groaning Demon Pestilence | IM2 | Spreads Pestilence from his breath. Later appears as a Hissing Demon. Synn's Fiend | Shadow over Mystara | Synn tried to summon this Demon during SoM. Bielgorna |[url=http://bruce-heard.blogspot.com/2012/05 ... avaja.html]Goatmen of Kavaja[/url] | Creator of the Goatmen The Pit Fiend | Dark Knight of Karameikos | A Roaring Demon?

I hope you guys aren't sick of table based posts! There are a few things I want to discuss here:
1) Do you agree with my categorization of all of these creatures as Demonic? Are there any more that should be added?
2) What do you think is the relationship between Lesser Demons and Exalted Level Demons?
3) Do you know of other named Demons? The Gold Box makes it clear that not all Entropic Immortals are Demons. What about named Exalted Demons or Lesser Demons from modules and Gazetteers?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Demons (Fiends)

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:24 pm

Drekk, from IM1, is a screaming demon.
Hircismus, from IM3, is a shaggy (groaning) demon.
According to GAZ7, Ranivorus is a howling demon.
GAZ7 also mentions the Father of Demons, "identified with various modern dark cults, depending on who you talk to."
There were also demons in Blackmoor. :)

A legacy leech, from the Savage Coast Monstrous Compendium, is "the essence of a tanar'ri that has been banished to the Prime Material Plane."
Also in the Savage Coast Monstrous Compendium is the Narvaezan fiend, a "creature of half shadow and half substance."

Goatmen are said to be the "spawn of fiends," according to the Savage Coast MC. Bruce Heard's article Goatmen of Kavaja confirms this theory, presenting them as the creations of a powerful demon called Bielgorna.

I don't think either the lamara or the dusanu is of outer planar origin. I don't know if lamaras and hissing demons are related, but in AD&D/3e both lamiae and mariliths have associations with Graz'zt.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:39 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:Drekk, from IM1, is a screaming demon.
Hircismus, from IM3, is a shaggy (groaning) demon.
According to GAZ7, Ranivorus is a howling demon.
GAZ7 also mentions the Father of Demons, "identified with various modern dark cults, depending on who you talk to."
There were also demons in Blackmoor. :)

A legacy leech, from the Savage Coast Monstrous Compendium, is "the essence of a tanar'ri that has been banished to the Prime Material Plane."
Also in the Savage Coast Monstrous Compendium is the Narvaezan fiend, a "creature of half shadow and half substance."

Goatmen are said to be the "spawn of fiends," according to the Savage Coast MC. Bruce Heard's article Goatmen of Kavaja confirms this theory, presenting them as the creations of a powerful demon called Bielgorna.
Thank you for providing these my friend! Super helpful as always. :)
I have added them to the lists.

BTW, Isn't Father of Demons from Gaz7 another name for Loki?

Also, I added the Demon from Shadow over Mystara and the one from Dark Knight of Karameikos, though I lack a proper name for either of those yet.
I don't think either the lamara or the dusanu is of outer planar origin. I don't know if lamaras and hissing demons are related, but in AD&D/3e both lamiae and mariliths have associations with Graz'zt.
I wonder if all of the "Lesser Demons" from my list could have a similar origin as the Legacy Leech? That they were once Exalted Demons that were banished to the Prime Plane somehow?

Who would be the Mystaran equivalent of Graz'zt?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:59 pm

Havard wrote:BTW, Isn't Father of Demons from Gaz7 another name for Loki?
That would make sense. GAZ7 says only, "Centuries ago, a small Rockhome clan called the Modrigswerg conspired with dark elves, and with priests of the Father of Demons—this last, an obscure cult worshiping Immortals of the Sphere of Entropy, and identified with various modern dark cults, depending on who you talk to." It could have been Loki or Demogorgon or both. Certainly, Loki is mythologically the father of many fell beasts.

Note that when the battle between Ascalon and the plague demon is re-enacted in IM2, the plague demon takes the form of a whispering demon, "a voluptuous female possessed of unnerving beauty," though according to legend the demon was hideous.
Masauwu seems similar.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:23 am

ripvanwormer wrote:A legacy leech, from the Savage Coast Monstrous Compendium, is "the essence of a tanar'ri that has been banished to the Prime Material Plane."
There is also the Utukku, but as that is from Carceri, perhaps it is a demodand?
I wouldn't include either of those as demons (the Dusanu's nickname notwithstanding). As rip notes, they aren't of outer planar origins, and the lamara seems to be just a slight variant of the lamia, which is a monster from Greek mythology. I don't know that I'd include the Ulzaq, either, although I can see why you put it there for consideration.

I've often thought that the Ostegos should get a makeover in light of the later published Gold Box set, and put them on a par with other demons.

EDIT: Also, echo rip's suggestion that Masauwu seems the most like Graz'zt in Mystara terms.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:55 am

I'd forgotten about the utukku, good catch. I'd count it as a fiend, though the Savage Coast MC says they have mortal lifespans. I wouldn't consider it to be a type of demodand because in Planescape those are limited to three kinds (their creator is Apomps the Three-Sided) (although Pathfinder has two new castes of demodand in its Bestiary 5 that work well in the context of that cosmology). They're just unrelated natives of Carceri, like gautieres and vaaths. In Wrath of the Immortals terms I don't think fiends are limited to any one plane of existence.

The ulzaqs and other familiars/homunculi are supposed to be Immortals bound to those forms, though they seem to me like they should be classified as types of imps.

In Dragon #336, and subsequent sources such as the Pathfinder Bestiary 2, nightshades are what you get when a powerful fiend is destroyed by negative energy. In 3.x cosmologies this is usually in the Negative Energy Plane, but I imagine that in the Wrath of the Immortals cosmology the deepest heart of Pyts might conceal a place where fiends are reforged into nightshades, willingly or no.
Last edited by ripvanwormer on Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:15 am

Havard, the "exalted level" demons you have in your first table are treated differently between the Gold Box and the Wrath of the Immortals box set.

They are exalted power level creatures in WotI, but in the original Gold Box they are full scale Immortals on par with PCs at Temporal, Celestial and higher levels.

An exalted vrock in WotI is more powerful than a balor in 2nd or 3rd Edition D&D, but a Gold Box Temporal vrock can slap around an exalted WotI vrock easily.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:08 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Havard wrote:BTW, Isn't Father of Demons from Gaz7 another name for Loki?
That would make sense. GAZ7 says only, "Centuries ago, a small Rockhome clan called the Modrigswerg conspired with dark elves, and with priests of the Father of Demons—this last, an obscure cult worshiping Immortals of the Sphere of Entropy, and identified with various modern dark cults, depending on who you talk to." It could have been Loki or Demogorgon or both. Certainly, Loki is mythologically the father of many fell beasts.
I have seen some fan works on Pandius attributing this title to Loki. Marco's Codex on the other hand attributes this persona to Thanatos.
Note that when the battle between Ascalon and the plague demon is re-enacted in IM2, the plague demon takes the form of a whispering demon, "a voluptuous female possessed of unnerving beauty," though according to legend the demon was hideous.
Interesting. I took a look and IM2 does indeed point out this discrepancy between the legend and the situation the Immortals are placed in. I wonder if this was a situation where legends twisted the thruth or whether the demon actually changed over time? I called the demon "Pestilence" since that is her effect. I wonder why she was in the Brokenlands in the first place? Summoned by humanoid Shamans I suppose. But what made them able to perform such a ritual?

Masauwu seems similar.
I like it. Also, we don't have that much information about Masauwu so that could help fleshing out this Immortal.

I don't know how important it is to distinguish between Immortals who are called Demons and other Entropic Immortals. Right now I am thinking that it simply means that these Immortals were Demons originally and later became fully fledged Immortals. Possibly this gives them higher status among regular Demons...?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:28 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
ripvanwormer wrote:A legacy leech, from the Savage Coast Monstrous Compendium, is "the essence of a tanar'ri that has been banished to the Prime Material Plane."
There is also the Utukku, but as that is from Carceri, perhaps it is a demodand?
Added to the list! I always forget about the SCMCA critters! :)
I wouldn't include either of those as demons (the Dusanu's nickname notwithstanding). As rip notes, they aren't of outer planar origins, and the lamara seems to be just a slight variant of the lamia, which is a monster from Greek mythology. I don't know that I'd include the Ulzaq, either, although I can see why you put it there for consideration.
Checking the Lamia:
Wikipedia wrote:In ancient Greek mythology, Lamia (/ˈleɪmiə/; Greek: Λάμια) was a beautiful queen of Libya who became a child-eating daemon.
Now granted, Greek Mythology daemons are different from Demons. They are basically just spirits.

The question with these creatures is really whether you buy my idea of having basically Mortal Level Demons in BECMI. Also, if we accept that Lamia, Rot Fiends (Dusanu), Red Imps etc belong to the same family of creatures, what does that really mean? Do they have to be outer planar? Or perhaps they simply have some other connection to the Sphere of Entropy, just like Undead do? Perhaps just like Elves are more connected to Energy (and presumably Dwarves are related to Matter)?
I've often thought that the Ostegos should get a makeover in light of the later published Gold Box set, and put them on a par with other demons.
It is possible, though I like to have demonic creatures who can be used against Expert/Companion level characters as well :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:34 pm

NPCDave wrote:Havard, the "exalted level" demons you have in your first table are treated differently between the Gold Box and the Wrath of the Immortals box set.

They are exalted power level creatures in WotI, but in the original Gold Box they are full scale Immortals on par with PCs at Temporal, Celestial and higher levels.

An exalted vrock in WotI is more powerful than a balor in 2nd or 3rd Edition D&D, but a Gold Box Temporal vrock can slap around an exalted WotI vrock easily.
Good points.

All of these creatures are different in power between editions. I had not really looked at comparing Gold Box Demons with the WotI Demons either. In later editions they are definitely less powerful, but sort of the same concepts? I need to find a good way to annotate that I think.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:39 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:In Dragon #336, and subsequent sources such as the Pathfinder Bestiary 2, nightshades are what you get when a powerful fiend is destroyed by negative energy. In 3.x cosmologies this is usually in the Negative Energy Plane, but I imagine that in the Wrath of the Immortals cosmology the deepest heart of Pyts might conceal a place where fiends are reforged into nightshades, willingly or no.
I tend to associate Nightshades with the Dimensions of Nightmare, so different from traditional Entropics, personally.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:38 pm

Havard wrote:
Cthulhudrew wrote:
It is possible, though I like to have demonic creatures who can be used against Expert/Companion level characters as well :)
I thought about that, too. Along the lines of the differences between the "Exalted" WotI Demons and the "Immortal" Gold Box Demons, maybe there could be one of each? I actually did a quick reverse engineer of the power reduction of Gold Box to WotI last night and built up a Gold Box version of the Ostego. I can't quite seem to get the XP to work (using the XP system in the Gold Box on the Demons there yields much higher XP than the published amounts for each), but otherwise it seems kind of functional. I'll try and post it up here either tonight or else this weekend.

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:41 pm

Havard wrote:
NPCDave wrote:Havard, the "exalted level" demons you have in your first table are treated differently between the Gold Box and the Wrath of the Immortals box set.

Good points.

All of these creatures are different in power between editions. I had not really looked at comparing Gold Box Demons with the WotI Demons either. In later editions they are definitely less powerful, but sort of the same concepts? I need to find a good way to annotate that I think.
Definitely the same concept and same creatures, but different levels of power due to the different purposes the two box sets had.

The Gold box was intended for PC Immortal campaigns, and Mentzer built the demons accordingly to be a challenge to Immortal PCs. While the WotI set also provided the rules for Immortal campaigns, it served the dual purpose of building a Mystaran metaplot with a primary focus on mortal PCs. So Allston chose to split the difference and make the demons halfway between mortals and Immortals, giving them enough power to qualify as Exalted and be able to fight mortal and Immortal PCs(although for the latter they would need to outnumber PCs to provide a challenge). For Immortal level campaigns, Allston left only his examples of the high level Entropics like Alphaks (who does have a demon form) and Thanatos.

If you throw in demons from the AD&D->5E line, you get a third set of demons who are still powerful but not quite as powerful as the Exalted class, since they don't have access to Power Points. With power points, the WotI vrock can spend the points to gain the powers of a 36th level magic-user and that gives it a significant edge over "regular" demons. Although if you prefer instead to use Gold Box PP rules, that might weaken the Exalted demons further.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:32 am

NPCDave wrote:If you throw in demons from the AD&D->5E line, you get a third set of demons who are still powerful but not quite as powerful as the Exalted class, since they don't have access to Power Points. With power points, the WotI vrock can spend the points to gain the powers of a 36th level magic-user and that gives it a significant edge over "regular" demons. Although if you prefer instead to use Gold Box PP rules, that might weaken the Exalted demons further.
It's an interesting dilemma; physically, the Gold Box demons are much more formidable than the WotI demons, but as you note- if you use WotI's PP system, magically the WotI demons are much more formidable, as Gold Box demons have (varying) limits on their PP expenditures and powers available.

Mortis
Hill Giant

Post by Mortis » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:08 pm

I don't think this adds anything new, but its something I started ages ago and never finished. :mrgreen:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByA87L ... sp=sharing

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
NPCDave wrote:If you throw in demons from the AD&D->5E line, you get a third set of demons who are still powerful but not quite as powerful as the Exalted class, since they don't have access to Power Points. With power points, the WotI vrock can spend the points to gain the powers of a 36th level magic-user and that gives it a significant edge over "regular" demons. Although if you prefer instead to use Gold Box PP rules, that might weaken the Exalted demons further.
It's an interesting dilemma; physically, the Gold Box demons are much more formidable than the WotI demons, but as you note- if you use WotI's PP system, magically the WotI demons are much more formidable, as Gold Box demons have (varying) limits on their PP expenditures and powers available.
If you wanted to make Demons, as powerful as in the Gold Box, but using the WotI rules, would it not make more sense to just stat them up as low level Immortals?

I guess the Vrock, Succubus etc should not be described as equivalent of the Screaming / Hissing demons etc, but they probably belong with what I have called Lesser Demons.

This raises another question: Should there be an Exalted Level version of the Ostegos?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Also, how do you guys feel about male Hissing Demons? (representing Incubi)?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:58 pm

Havard wrote:This raises another question: Should there be an Exalted Level version of the Ostegos?
Here is what I came up with so far for a Gold Box version of the Death Demon:

| [b]Death Demon[/b] [b]Sphere:[/b] | Entropy [b]Status:[/b] | Initiate [b]Power Points:[/b] | 440 [b]Anti-Magic:[/b] | 50% [b]Armor Class:[/b] | 1 [b]Hit Dice*:[/b] | 17* [b]Hit Points:[/b] | 85 [b]Move:[/b] | 90' (30') [b] Flying:[/b] | 180' (60') [b]Attacks:[/b] | 2 claws/1 bite [b]Damage:[/b] | 1d4 each/2d4 [b]No. Appearing:[/b] | 1 (1d3) [b]Save As:[/b] | Initiate [b]Morale:[/b] | Special [b]Call Other:[/b] | 5% [b]Treasure Type:[/b] | E [b]Alignment:[/b] | Chaotic [b]XP Value:[/b] | ?

Physical Description
Death demons (also known as Ostegos or Night Demons) appear as 10 foot tall, gaunt, hairless humanoids with gray, scaly skin. Ivory fangs protrude from their mouths, and their fingers are tipped with adamantine talons. Their eyes glow like smoldering coals, and two huge bat-like wings grow out of their back.
Death demons attack with their claws and fangs. Any creature struck by their claws must make a saving throw vs. paralysis or be paralyzed for 2d4 turns. Any creature bitten by a death demon must make a saving throw vs. poison at -2 or die.
Death demons have the standard abilities and resistances of other demons, and additionally have the ability to teleport (with no chance for error. They often use Power to create darkness before engaging in combat with their foes.
Each Greater Talent: 14-17 (1d4+13)
Wisdom and Dexterity: 8-17 (1d10+7)
Charisma: 3-9 (2d4+1)

Call Other
[b]5% Chance[/b] | [b]Demon Responding[/b] 01 - 95 | Death 96 - 99 | Screaming 00 | Croaking

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Looks good Cthulhudrew!

I somehow wish they had a name like Screaming, Roaring etc, but I guess Death is close enough. :)

Adamantite claws? Looks like Adamantium is canon! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:54 pm

Havard wrote:I somehow wish they had a name like Screaming, Roaring etc, but I guess Death is close enough. :)
Death Demon/Fiend was the original name, so I wanted to keep that and the Ostegos nomenclature as well. I wanted a third name, which is why I went with Night Demon, in keeping with their habit of dropping darkness, but it's still a work in progress and I'm not 100% satisfied with it yet. I agree than an "-ing" name would be cool, but I couldn't think of a good one. Any suggestions? All of the current demon names equate with sounds associated with them- I'm not sure offhand what would work for the Death Demon. Maybe Rasping Demon? (Rasping being the sound made when its claws scrape across other surfaces?) Grating? Shredding?

Mike
Ogre

Post by Mike » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:44 pm

Exalted demons are all named for what comes out of their mouth. What comes from an Ostego's mouth? Death, in the form if poison.

One could argue that Poison Demon is vague since the succubus speaks poisons words, and all demons speak poisonous lies. Or maybe there is another (yet unnamed) fiend that better fits that title.

Maybe the only time a death demon utters a sound is when it injects venom. So 'hearing the voice of the ostego' is a euphemism for imminent death. The ostego might also be known as the Silent Fiend because of this.

Wizards who summon ostego to ask questions are especially wicked since they have to provide a victim for the ostego to bite in order to hear its answer.

Return to “Mystara”