[Glantri] The Great School of Magic

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII

[Glantri] The Great School of Magic

Postby micky » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:11 pm

While my long running Glantrian project is very much on the downward slope as far as finally getting completed, I had seen one large hole in all that we have put together. The very thing that sort of makes Glantri... umm.. Glantri man. The Great School of Magic.

I figured this Gaz3 companion/expansion and 1000-1020 campaign guide would be a great place to expand and detail the Great School. I had put out offers of help and assistance in fleshing it out some years ago but sadly none came :lol: However a ray of sunshine this morning as I was cleaning up the years and years of accumulated downloaded documents I had found on the web as well my own documents and I found this. I can definitely riff off of this but the problem is... I have no idea who did this. Doesn't have a name attached to it and I do obviously want to be respectful of others work and would like to give credit where it is due.

Anyone recognize this or know who did this. If so.. let me know so I can put the author in my very large contributor (the willing and not willling haha) thank you section.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByXEHtja6QMrb2I2ZHJ5dU93eEE/view?usp=sharing
He does not have a mandate. He does not have large congressional majorities. If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump
micky
Cloud Giant

Re: The Great School of Magic

Postby Robin » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:33 pm

interresting stuff indeed.

however..a lot of work transforming this back to BECMI rules (yes yes yes....yessssss!!!).
All i know of the GSM i pulled from Gaz Glatri, GKoM, the small adventure the test of darkness, the travel journal of dar inberlon, Bruce Heards map of Glantri city, the one sheet miniadventures frm GKOM, much from the Player/DM Mystara survival guides, and even the diploma sheets from Karameikos Kingdom of Adventure.
but also some of AD&D2 books like Wizard's Player Pack (TSR 1113), Wizard's Challenge II (TSR 9454), Deck of Wizard spells (TSR 9356), TSR 9293 - Magic1 - The Magic Encyclopedia, Volume I, TSR 9421 - Magic2 - The Magic Encyclopedia, Volume Two, TSR 02115 - AD&D - Core - PHBR 04 - The Complete Wizard's Handbook,
but mainly from AC-TSR8549-AD&D2-College of Wizardry (which i mainly used as a template best fitting(though historically had to adept to Mystara history...ouch) for the Karameikan university of magic on Krakatos.) but from here I could at lkeast copy daily tracts, school stuff etc
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Fire Giant

Postby micky » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:42 pm

yeah.. as I posted during my plea for help which fell on deaf ears. The Great School really could use a bit more detailing. While I think I have a decent amount of creativity, it is not endless. Having someone start the ball rolling helps me a great deal.

Converting it to BEMCI... really a breeze in comparison with the drain on the brain of having to come up with something from scratch all on my own. Not to mention the more heads involved the better the result. My maps would have likely been good on their own (well other than my mountains haha) but having you help me will really make those better. The author here did a really bang up job, I'm going to use it unless otherwise told I can't and credit if I find out who did it. I'll just convert it to BEMCI and tweak and adjust to fit the Glantri I have been presenting where they might differ, as well as expand on several of the interesting things the author touched on. As well as working in the work of the GPD which did give us heads of some of the schools of magic which was a later Mystara AD&D thingie but again.. easily enough converted to BEMCI
He does not have a mandate. He does not have large congressional majorities. If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump
micky
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:58 pm

micky wrote:yeah.. as I posted during my plea for help which fell on deaf ears. The Great School really could use a bit more detailing. While I think I have a decent amount of creativity, it is not endless. Having someone start the ball rolling helps me a great deal.

Converting it to BEMCI... really a breeze in comparison with the drain on the brain of having to come up with something from scratch all on my own. Not to mention the more heads involved the better the result. My maps would have likely been good on their own (well other than my mountains haha) but having you help me will really make those better. The author here did a really bang up job, I'm going to use it unless otherwise told I can't and credit if I find out who did it. I'll just convert it to BEMCI and tweak and adjust to fit the Glantri I have been presenting where they might differ, as well as expand on several of the interesting things the author touched on. As well as working in the work of the GPD which did give us heads of some of the schools of magic which was a later Mystara AD&D thingie but again.. easily enough converted to BEMCI

deaf ears...I know...I so often cried out for help in my maps, and near to none reacted...a pity...a mutual work is always better than a oone by one person...at least that is how i feel.
I have (somewhere) some 3D isometric pictures somewhere of the GSM as seen from the courtyard....my main problem was the area and buildings reflect a very small area...even Hary Potter's school had a much larger area to function. I'll try to recover it (and if damaged restore it).

As to help, if you need me just PM me...I am always willing to :lol:

Maybe Shawn knows who made this, Chtuludrew, or Havard...they are the real D&D sages here....though there are some more ;).
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
Robin
Fire Giant

Postby micky » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:24 pm

oh I'll need your help for sure moving forward and I'm definitely not shy about asking. There isn't a shy bone in my body, which is a blessing and a curse :lol:

I would definitely like to see those pictures of the GSM if and when you have the time. No hurry of course, but touches on something I may really need your help on when it comes to putting this all together. Artwork. While a man of some talent in some things, art is NOT one of them. I can draw a good stick person and that is the extent of my artistic ability.
micky
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:35 pm

Even You have a shy bone :P ...it literally tries to crawl within :shock: ...your tailbone :o ...mine is broken now btw :? ...the only bone you can't set or hold...painful to cure :( ...more painful to sit or rise ;( ...luckily i walk on high heels always, which seems to relieve the tension somehow :| .

i can always try to draw things you might need....i am best in isometric/perspective art as you might have seen with my glasshouse and this one; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/art/The-Fall-596375675
kee this in front of you and rotate slowly clockwise, and you might even feel some vertigo...cool isn't it? many people suffered this with this piece.. my pen art is mostly a wee bit on the erotic side..too much to use for D&D I feel.(http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/gallery/52966161/Pen-Drawings)

anyway, just ask what you need and i might be able to retrieve some
Robin
Fire Giant

Postby micky » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:48 pm

hahah. Funny... my lack of shyness in my wilder days of youth often lead to me in high heels and a dress. :lol: Oh wait.. too much information perhaps. :x

Anyhow I had hoped you might be interested. I love what I've seen of your work. I can do a great deal myself but certain things are simply beyond my abilities and artwork is definitely one. This is a ways down the line, it will likely take me the rest of the year to finish everything to my satisfaction and organize it for being published but next year I can see all this being ready to be published. If willing I would love to have your input once I put all this together with artwork of yours. You'd find me the best of patrons hahah. Artistic freedom and all that jazz. We can talk about that later of course.
micky
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:56 pm

w'll seewhat our mutual work would/could bring.
btw read your PM
Robin
Fire Giant

Postby micky » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:59 pm

:cool: I love PM's.. waiting on it. Hausman that doll that he is has blown up my PM box so I check it regularly. Really surprised you don't get notifications when you get them. Perhaps I need to check my settings. I found 2 from years ago I simply never saw.

anyhow.. back on topic. If any of you all forum heads recognize that work on the Great School and know who did it. Let me know so I can credit them.
micky
Cloud Giant

Postby DM_Kyle » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:45 pm

You Really Could do a Magicians/Harry Potter Themed Campaign Based Around this Info. It would be a long game, but paired with all the Other Groups in Glantri City, it could make for some interesting Escapades.
DM_Kyle
Goblin

Postby micky » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:20 pm

yeah Kyle.. that is the goal. Flesh it out, give the DM's something to work with. To either run with and use or inspire them with the crap we post to do something better :lol:

Gaz 3 does touch on running campaigns based on the Great School, but there isn't much to go with. One would have to do a lot of heavy creative liftimg to flesh out the setting. So that is the purpose of what we are trying to do, give ideas, to be taken as a whole or a staring basis for anyone that can do better in their own campaigns.
micky
Cloud Giant

Postby Hausman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:04 am

Hi Guys.

I believe that this excerpt from the MA 1015AC about the Magic schools in KW includes some useful information if you associate with Glantri Magick School ... and even the Karameikan School of Magecraft model also provides some clues as to how the Alphatian teaching system was viewed in Version of the Almanacs ...

Hope this helps =}

THE UNIVERSITIES OF MAGIC

This section, brought to you by Dorrik Stonecleaver, gives more statistical details about the schools of magic. Further information, including new spells, kits, and skills can be found for the Great School of Magic in the Glantri: Kingdom of Magic box set [or the old GAZ3: The Principalities of Glantri. Ed.] while notes on the School of Magecraft are available in the Karameikos: Kingdom of Adventure box set.

Great School of Magic

Admission Requirements: Intelligence 13.

Tuition: 5 ducats (gp) per day per level.

Dormitories: Yes; add 5 ducats per day.

Duration of Basic Studies: Varies according to student.

Required Courses: None. Student must learn at least 6 spells per level and must reach 9th level to be considered for ending his basic studies. Courses are optional.

Courses Available: Alchemy, Ancient History, Astrology, Brewing, Cooking, Disguise, Etiquette, Fire-building, Gem Cutting, Herbalism, Languages (ancient and modern), Local History (Glantri), Meditation, Monster Lore, Navigation, Reading/Writing, Riding (airborne), Spellcraft, and Spellflash.

A course lasts 3 months and a proficiency slot is still required to learn the skill.

Spells Available: All spells from the PHB, Tome of Magic, Complete Wizard's Handbook, Player's Option: Spells & Magic as well as from Glantri: Kingdom of Magic are available. A student's master might have a say as to which spells he may/should learn. Note that Glantrians call most spells by other names (example: Fireball is known as Deathfire's Rapture).

Specialty Mage Classes Available: Abjurer, Conjurer, Diviner, Enchanter, Illusionist, Invoker, Necromancer, and Transmuter.

School of Magecraft

Admission Requirements: Must be human or demi-human (although an exception was made for a frost giant). Cannot be a known criminal in Karameikos or allied nations. Obviously evil candidates will also be rejected.

Tuition: 1,000 royals (gp) per academic year, 2,500 royals (gp) for advanced students. Royal scholarships are available for promising students.

Dormitories: No, although cheap lodging is available in the nearby town of Krakatos.

Duration of Basic Studies: 6 semesters over a period of three years. Two semesters are offered a year. The first one is from Thaumont 15 to Fyrmont 1, and the second semester is from Fyrmont 2 to Kaldmont 15. After the second semester, students have 3 months off to go home or work to raise money for tuition.

Required Courses: The Spell Primer. First semester: Charm Person, Detect Magic, Enlarge/Reduce, Feather Fall, Hold Portal, and Identify. Second Semester: Light, Magic Missile, Read Magic, Shield, Shocking Grasp, and Sleep. Third Semester: Darkness 15' Radius, Detect Evil/Good, Detect Invisibility, Flaming Sphere, Invisibility, and Knock/Lock. Fourth Semester: Levitate, Magic Mouth, Mirror Image, Stinking Cloud, Web, and Wizard Lock. Fifth Semester: Clairvoyance, Dispel Magic, Explosive Runes, Fireball, Fly, and Haste. Sixth Semester: Hold Person, Infravision, Lightning Bolt, Slow, Suggestion, and Water Breathing.

Upon learning all these spells [which means reaching at least level 5. Ed.], the student becomes an advanced student. His tuition increases, but he may then take whichever class he desires from the courses available.

Courses Available: Each spell is a separate course. All first to third level spells from the PHB are offered as courses. Most fourth and fifth level spells are also available. Just less than half of the sixth level spells are taught at the School of Magecraft, while classes on seventh level spells are rare. The exact list is up to the DM, and should be expanding as students discover new spells and add them to the library collection. Faculty may forbid certain spells, typically those involving summoning fiends or other dangerous results if cast improperly.

Faculty members have access to all spells of the PHB and most of the spells from the Tome of Magic. They can teach a promising student any such spell in private if they deem him worthy of that knowledge.

Spells Available: See Courses Available.

Specialty Mage Classes Available: none (although Air and Water Elementalists should be appearing soon).

http://pandius.com/event2.html

Att: Hausman
Hausman
Bugbear

Postby micky » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:12 am

every little bit helps!! ;)
micky
Cloud Giant

Great School of Magic /Glantri City

Postby Robin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:24 pm

While delving through my old stuf as in that post with the same name....I retrieved an old isometric picture of the Great School of Magic in Glantri.
While examaning it to redraw (it is way too damaged by mouse urine and nibbling to reveal)...I studied th scale I used and the scale used in the Gaz 3 and GKoM maps.
Some things I noted;
First the City map on the back of the Glantri national map has NO scale at all.Neither in Gaz 3 nor GKoM.
Secondly the scale which was used to determine the size of the Great School of Magic (1 inch = 20'). This would give a very small school, even todays smaller universities have much vaster areas, so I thought while making the Isometric map that something must be wrong.
Examining the Western side of the GSM which is 4 inch thus according the scale 80'
Refferring that to the City of Glantri map, where the same side is measured 60 mm (using the metric system which is more detailed).
as such 60 mm would be 80' and thus 6 mm would be 8'.
checking that size to buildings, structures and vessels on the map which all seem to be in the same scale. I see many, many areas where there is aple space to turn one's ass...let alone function in it.
mini godolas 0.8 mm width =less than 1.5 feet width??, Small Galley 2 mm width gives a small galley of 2.6 feet wide also very small and unusable for transport, letvalone the crew needed. referring this back to normal sizes The scales should at least be doubled to be functional.
The same is with several structures; NW several buildings are 6 mm wide or even less or have sections of this width or less. if we use a double scale it seems to be fitting.
The same with the referential isometric picture of three buildings on Circus pool. these reveal how the building is constructed and thus explains some usage. especially the tables and chairs of less than 40cm in size deemed flawed, but even the size of the buildinfgs themselves. Look also at the ropebridges on the 3 red towers SE, these would be only 3 to 4 feet wide. Just as all the roof windows (the small triangulas on top) .
all in all I can only assume the scale on the GSM map inside the Gaz 3 cover was flawed. and instead 20' it should be 40' minimum.
I would even dare to go to change feet into yards thus making 1 inch 20 yards=60 feet....but this might be too brazen

1 inch is 25.4 mm btw

All in all the scale is wrong and even according the text the city should be larger in size not counting the suburbs.
So I dare to ask...what size is best according to you all....
1 :( ....GSM map 1 inch = 20' thus city map 60 mm =80'
Or as I suggested
2 ;) ....GSM map 1 inch = 40' thus city map 60 mm =160'
Or even my brazen idea
3 :twisted: ....GSM map 1 inch = 20 yards=60' thus city map 60 mm =240'

Eitherway I restore the Isometric map, in its readjusted scale with an Venetian building style as explained in the text. And I soon will reveal it here :o :o :ugeek: :lol:

One thing though must be from my heart....
How nice the Glantri city map is, and how the artist tried to mimic Venice..he failed....Probably he never has been there or has no sense of referring sizes in reality to maps.
For example real Venice canals are smallllll , and in Venice most buildings can always be reached WITHOUT using gondolas by small alleys in the middle (Check google maps and switch between the sattelite and the map) as thus there are many, many small bridges.. and creepy dark alleys..
Neither the alleys nor the bridges are be seen in the Glantri map, and the canals are thus wide a gondola can turn whereever.(something impossible in many Venice canals. I would embrace much more of these as it give Glantri more the feel the text describes...A pity the artist did not.
Ok ..I assume he interpretet with artistic freedom, yet even in a city logic prevails differently.
First Venice is like Glantri a mediaval city where the streets (and thus also canals) are small in width, to prevent loss of warmth, rain etc (that the reason those european old buildings ALL have a wider top than bottom), Secondly, even magic users do not like to use their magic for everything... they are limited in the use of their memorized spells, thus would more logically be ued to work with walking or gondola in Glantri.

Then one last final remark.
In the GKoM adventure Test of Darkness there is a picture labelled Great School of magic in the beginning. This is just wring; not only is it English architecture of the late 1800th and it has a green tree haze in the background, is just a plain series of structures, but mostly it does NOT, ABSOLUTELY NOT refer to something the glantrians could have made, nor does it semblance the GSM map.
More logically is that this picture does NOT, completely NOT belong here is is used wrongly...I is bettr used as an outhouse elsewhere in Glantri or a other school like area...as gloomy as it is i think better in the darker north . ..

Just some thoughts. :geek: :o :shock:
Robin
Fire Giant

Postby Robin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:37 pm

Micky..as You've seen I had some scale issues on the Glantrian City and GSM map....while recovering the Old Isometric GSM map I am restoring...or trying too ;)

But You should also examine Test of Darkness and the parchment like papers out of GKoM as it holds lots of minute info. :)
Also TSR2512-D&D-Mystara-Dungeon Master Survival Kit handout 13 Magical Alphabet,Page 15 magescript, and the magical Item cards hold much dusty glantrian canon info if you delve through it... :geek: .
DMR-TSR2510-AD&D2-Mystara-Player's Survival Kit handout 3 holds a Great school of magic Glantri Final report card...with the different subjects on it. Also useful in this :ugeek:
Thats all canon stuff I could find, to freak you out, and disturb your research...harhar :twisted: ...me nice :mrgreen:
Robin
Fire Giant

Postby micky » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:18 am

yeah... good idea. However I don't think I have those G:KoM :lol: parchments anymore. I haven't seen them around in years. For all I know my ex-wife used them as kindling when she burned my guitar along with all my YES albums in the fireplace :facepalm: I'll have to check..

the survivor kits I don't have so I may need your help digging out anything useful along with parchments which may have gone up in smoke :roll:
micky
Cloud Giant

Re: Great School of Magic /Glantri City

Postby micky » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:29 am

as a point of comparison here is a map that does have a scale likely using the Gaz3 GSoM (1 inch=20 ft) given scale as more of an overall reference

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/magnification01/m_glantricity_zpshm4reqhz.gif

I do agree.. I did some scale work on my first attempt to fully map out Glantri City (ie the main city and suburbs) but that was years ago. I don't remember what I decided to go with but I think 1 inch to 40 ft might be a better choice.

and one last parting shot..

remember... it isn't called Glantri:Kingdom of Magic :lol: for nothing.. :P
Remember... two words.. Gerrid Rientha

take nothing in it as gospel. I did not. It had cool art work, that is about it. Much of it made as much sense as the great crater :lol: :lol: :lol:
micky
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:50 pm

i checked, measured and checked again.
the gsm map i have is isometric, and on a 40'scale...this seems best...
i'll post the old map and the newer maps soon...worrking on it.

finally we'll be able to envision the GSM in a sort of 3d...

and the fun part is...a clever 3d artist...might be able to use the isometric maps then to create a 3d model...
at least i 'm gonna give this a try somewhere in this year.
Robin
Fire Giant

Postby Robin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:34 pm

I've found this in an article of Bruce Heard (Dragon magazine 161 page 101)
Question Reader;
The scale used in the city map of GAZ3 The Principalities of Glantri does not make sense. For example, the City Library ends up measuring 15-20’ in diameter. Is this correct?

Answer Bruce Heard;
No. Here’s a better set of scales:
City map: 1” = 80 yards
Inside cover maps: 1” = 50 yards
Geographical map: 1 hex = 8 miles
This should bring the overall length of the Great School of Magic up to 900’ and the diameter of the library tower to 120’— not huge by any standards, but now you may breathe normally without fear of causing entire bookshelves to fall over Note that the boats on the canal were added essentially for illustration purposes—their scale is a bit off to keep from reducing the larger ships to mere spots on the canals.

This means that 1 inch on the cover map is 50 yards and NOT 20'. as far as i know a yard is 3 feet, so each inch must be 150'!!
much larger than I suggested, and made my initial map on. As I did my map isometric in a doubled scale of 40' instead of 20'.

However much I honor Bruce words, the 50 yards deems still flawed. as some city aspects (walls etc) become ridiculously large. The curtain wall of the GSM was according the inner cover 2.5-3', in my scale 5-7', in Bruce's scale 12-13 yards(36-39 feet) ridiculously wide for an inner city building...the outer city walls as being 4 GSM walls wide, would become even 48-52 yards(144-36 feet).

As thus I think Bruce meant feet instead of yards, thus making the GSM 200' wide instead the 80' the map initially suggested, somewhat larger than the 160' I suggested,
but not thus overly large as Bruce suggested in the quote above...600' , 200 'wide with an average curtain wall of 14-17 feet wide.

The inner map the GSM is 4 inches (10cm), on the outer map the same area is 2.36 inch(6cm) as both must be equal to 200'...thus making the City map scale 1 inch =84,75 feet...or 1 cm =33,33 feet
this makes the GSM curtain walls a real feasible scale and the curtain walls also (9mm=30')

I have to readjust the scale I used thus far a tiny bit, but the Isometric map is as thus far restored, another from the opposite direction is in the making, as architectural correct interior maps (taking in weight distribution of upper constructions through foundation etc).
All will be available soon.
Robin
Fire Giant

Postby Baron » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:31 pm

I can't wait! (OK, hyperbole.) But I'm dreaming up how to introduce my current players to Glantri (pre-WOTI), and haven't prepared anything yet. Wish I could find a really good floorplan for the whole Great School, which I would expect to go underground or something.
Baron
Bugbear

Postby Robin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:23 am

thanx...I do my best to speed things up.
Robin
Fire Giant

Postby Hausman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi.

Here is another reference of measure to the GSM.... page 60 of Wrath of the Immortals (book 2)

https://i.imgsafe.org/9401931a2a.png

I hope it helps, Robin = )

Hausman
Bugbear

Postby Hausman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:03 pm

Today, Bruce Heard has posted on his Blog a New map of GSM (with measures 1 Sq = 10´)

http://bruce-heard.blogspot.com.br/2017 ... iGSoM.html

=)
Hausman
Bugbear

Postby Hausman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:07 pm

Here is another reference of measure to the GSM.... page 60 of Wrath of the Immortals (book 2)

https://i.imgsafe.org/9401931a2a.png

I hope it helps, Robin = )

Hausman
Bugbear

Postby Robin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:56 am

Super Hausman ;) ;) ...although that's another canon measurement that varies. :o
Though I like Bruce's work, it is too varied in measurement, angles, roofs and even design and placements to be useful for me.
I have informed Bruce of my work, and will give him a link when ready. I think though I will use the golden statue he placed on the rim of the main building. :lol:

Now we have the following measurements;
giving two scales(one for GSM, one for city map drawn from the GSM map) as the details are small I refer to millimeters on the map. thus calculating each mm from there. (for those not knowing metric millimeters; 25.4 mm= 1inch)
as a reference the lower rectangular side of the GSM is 4 inches/101.6mm on the GSMmap and 60mm on the City map
as these refer to the same structure you can use one to calculate the other.
The GSM curtain wall on the GSM map is 5 to 6mm, the outer City wall on the City map is variating between 9 to 10 mm

1 As per Gaz3;GSM map 1 inch/25.4mm = 20feet=>scale GSM map becomes; 1mm=1.27 feet
thus city map 60 mm =80feet =>scale city map becomes 1mm=1.33 feet
this makes the GSM 80 feet wide, the GSM curtain wall 6.35 to 7.62 feet wide including railingwall as depicted
this also makes the City wall 11.97 to 13.33 feet wide :(
2 Or as I suggested;GSM map 1 inch/25.4mm = 40feet=>scale GSM map becomes; 1mm=2.54 feet
thus city map 60 mm =160feet =>scale city map becomes 1mm=2.66 feet
this makes the GSM 160 feet wide, the GSM curtain wall 12.70 to 15.24 feet wide including railingwall as depicted
this also makes the City wall 23.49 to 26.66 feet wide
:D
3 As Bruce in Dragon 161; GSM map 1 inch = 50 yards/150feet, City map: 1”/25.4mm = 80 yards/240feet
GSM map 1 inch/25.4mm = 50yard/150feet=>scale GSM map becomes; 1mm=5.91 feet
this makes the GSM 200yard/600 feet wide, the GSM curtain wall 29.55 to 35.46 feet wide including railingwall as depicted
if calculating this through to the City map it makes the City scale 1mm=10 feet, thus making the City wall 90 to 100 feet wide
However Bruce used a different scale (an thereby corrupted/altered the size of the GSM)as according to him City map 1 inch/25.4mm = 80 yards/240feet, making the scale 1mm =9.45 feet, and the same 600 feet/240 yard side of the GSM suddenly becomes 60 mm =566feet, and this makes the 9 to 10 mm City wall 85.05 to 94.50 feet wide!! :shock:
If however keeping the routine as used prior, (and thus keeping the GSM the same size) these become even larger 90 to 100 feet wide!!
:o
4 As per WotI; GSM map 1 inch/25.4mm = 40 yards/120feet=>scale GSM map becomes; 1mm=4.72 feet
this makes the GSM 160 yard/480 feet wide, the GSM curtain wall 23.62 to 28.35 feet wide including railingwall as depicted
thus city map 60 mm =480feet =>scale city map becomes 1mm=8 feet
this also makes the City wall 72 to 80 feet wide!!
:shock:

As can be seen the suggestions in yards make enormous walls, which even in a rich society (especially in a magic rich society) would not be way too large and consume precious resources and space, but become very unpractical, and uneconomical.Even the poor buildings outside the city become overly large and as thus unrealistic. Also, if these buildings are indeed mostly wooden ramshackle structures as according the gazetteer their larger size would collapse them. if keeping architecture and functionability in check these structures would fall best in the 1 inch=40' range, as it makes the average structures to a normal 40-60 feet.
The opposite is with the 20' scale, which makes too fragile walls and micro unfunctionable structures.

As such it deems me that the scale of 1 inch = 40 feet(1mm=1.27 feet) on the GSM map, and thus calculated the scale on the City map of 1mm=2.66 feet deems best.
if increased it should not go beyond 60' ...making the GSM scale 1mm=1.905 feet and the City scale 1 mm=4 feet
This keeps all factors as balanced and within normal limits.(Architecturally, economically, space, movement population/vessels)...
One bycoming benificial effect...the gondola's drawn on the map suddenly become almost the right size again...and are thus not as Bruce suggested out of scale representations.
Last edited by Robin on Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Fire Giant

Next

Return to Mystara