Magic Based on Music

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII, Havard

Magic Based on Music

Postby Havard » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:30 pm

I started thinking about Magic based on Music and sound when I was researching Guidarezzo in this topic. Bards do not have such a long history in Mystara publications. The class was introduced to BECMI relatively late with the Robrenn installment of the Princess Ark series. Music and song, however, have been adressed much earlier, along with magical abilities linked to music.

The following creatures have abilities linked to music:

Creatures and Characters
  • Bards
  • Harpies
  • Faenare (PC2)
  • Faenare Windsinger (PC2)
  • Tonals
  • Fauns (PC1)
  • Gyerians (AC9)
  • Birds

Immortals
  • Thalia
  • Guidarezzo
  • Bragi (Master Set)

Magic Items
  • Pipes of Panic (PC1, p61)
  • Drums of Panic
  • Horn of Blasting
  • Chime of Time
The Book of Marvellous Magic also has tons of other magic musical instruments.

My question is: Is there a way for us to make a stronger connection between these creatures, Immortals and magical items? Can powerful Bards or Faenare learn to summon Tonals? What happens if a Bard gets his hands on a set of Drums of Panic? Can Faenare invite Fauns to join its choir?

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Magic Based on Music

Postby Robin » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:10 pm

I've read an old adventure somewhere where bards and harpies tried to outbattle themselves in a vocal duel. fun to imagine.
In my MMMC Fairykin and Weefolk I already used many musical and poetic effects as rhimes riddles, doodas and such. Fauns, pixies, Nixies I used therein too.
The Faenare I detailed lately here http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16302&p=182774&hilit=faenare#p182774
Other musical races are female Merrow, Nixies, Sprites, Witches (I know it does not sound musical, just like cows or raven, but as these creature are officially songbirds, so we must list witches rhimes/songs as musical too.
The chimes from the GKoM box adventure north of Threshold also note witches interest in music and its power.

Other musical(tones and ) I would list all the Power Word Spells, Vampiric charm (though this is both vocal AND visual), There are Plants and funghi making music either out of joy (Singing Campestris from the D&D Mystara adventure MMMC Lowlife page 793) or Shriekers (just to name a few.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Fire Giant

Postby Havard » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:53 pm

Robin wrote:I've read an old adventure somewhere where bards and harpies tried to outbattle themselves in a vocal duel. fun to imagine.
In my MMMC Fairykin and Weefolk I already used many musical and poetic effects as rhimes riddles, doodas and such. Fauns, pixies, Nixies I used therein too.
The Faenare I detailed lately here http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16302&p=182774&hilit=faenare#p182774
Other musical races are female Merrow, Nixies, Sprites, Witches (I know it does not sound musical, just like cows or raven, but as these creature are officially songbirds, so we must list witches rhimes/songs as musical too.
The chimes from the GKoM box adventure north of Threshold also note witches interest in music and its power.

Other musical(tones and ) I would list all the Power Word Spells, Vampiric charm (though this is both vocal AND visual), There are Plants and funghi making music either out of joy (Singing Campestris from the D&D Mystara adventure MMMC Lowlife page 793) or Shriekers (just to name a few.

Thanks for the input!

I am not sure I would include every form of charm magic, but I think Nixies are very appropriate here, even if there is no reference to music in the monster description.

The adventure Old Man Katan and the Mushroom Band from Dragon #41 is not set in Mystara AFIK, but it does feel a lot like a Mystara adventure.

Thanks for mentioning Shriekers. I meant to include those, but somehow forgot :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Chimpman » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:35 am

I'm not sure if sirens are BECMI creatures, but there is a "Bay of the Sirens" in the Savage Coast, so I suppose they might exist in the setting, even if they aren't mentioned specifically in source material.

Hmmm... it seems "The Siren" may also be another name for Calitha Starbrow, so at the very least she could be included in your Immortals list.

I like the idea for coming up with some type of "music based magic" and perhaps tying some of these elements together, though I haven't given it much thought recently. I did a 3E prestige classes a long time ago for the Wyrmsteeth dragons, which I think was based around a bard's abilities - the Wyrmsinger.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:18 am

Voice, harmony, and song play sort of big parts in the workings of certain types of magic on Thorn's Mystara.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Chimpman » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:57 pm

Hey Rob,

I wonder if you could tie Calitha Starbrow into the mythos of Thorn's Mystara? It seems that during the time of Blackmoor she was a patron to the Aquarendi (born as one of them shortly after they left the sea to live on land). Before the GRoF, she led them back into the sea, helping them return to the path of nature. (I'm paraphrasing here from the history in Codex Immortalis).

What if she wasn't actually an elven maiden, but one of Thorn's sirens? Perhaps an early siren experiment that ended up retaining too much individual personality? That might be kind of a neat story line to play around with... and it would also mean that at least one of the "Progeny" would have attained immortality. That might give you something to play with in the modern era as well.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:56 pm

Chimpman wrote:Hey Rob,

I wonder if you could tie Calitha Starbrow into the mythos of Thorn's Mystara? It seems that during the time of Blackmoor she was a patron to the Aquarendi (born as one of them shortly after they left the sea to live on land). Before the GRoF, she led them back into the sea, helping them return to the path of nature. (I'm paraphrasing here from the history in Codex Immortalis).

What if she wasn't actually an elven maiden, but one of Thorn's sirens? Perhaps an early siren experiment that ended up retaining too much individual personality? That might be kind of a neat story line to play around with... and it would also mean that at least one of the "Progeny" would have attained immortality. That might give you something to play with in the modern era as well.

Hmmm.....
Something to think about, for sure....
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby OldDawg » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:21 pm

Be sure to check out the Kantaleer character class that I developed in Gaz F10 Kaarjala. It is a special bard-like character that uses song-spells and sonic projections. (It is a combo of an actual Finnish musician type + the string-instrument assassins in Kung Fu Hustle)

Song Spells are grouped in several music schools:

Sonorous Melodies (shells, fields, barriers)
Discordancy (feeblemind, fear and hold actions)
Concordancy (charms, geas, and animate)
Resonance (detections, disruptions, earthquakes)
Harmony (remove fear, heal, morale boosters)

-OldDawg
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.
OldDawg
Troll

Postby Havard » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:38 am

Chimpman wrote:I'm not sure if sirens are BECMI creatures, but there is a "Bay of the Sirens" in the Savage Coast, so I suppose they might exist in the setting, even if they aren't mentioned specifically in source material.

Hmmm... it seems "The Siren" may also be another name for Calitha Starbrow, so at the very least she could be included in your Immortals list.

Nice find!
I think we could make Sirens a variant of Nixies. At least for BECMI I would keep the Nixie stats, but perhaps make their Charm ability more specifically related to song. Perhaps more like a culture of Nixies rather than a subrace would be the BECMI way?

And I agree that Calitha could work as a Music related Immortal here. Hmmm...probably Faunus too.

I like the idea for coming up with some type of "music based magic" and perhaps tying some of these elements together, though I haven't given it much thought recently. I did a 3E prestige classes a long time ago for the Wyrmsteeth dragons, which I think was based around a bard's abilities - the Wyrmsinger.

Nice! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Robin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:56 pm

Havard wrote:Thanks for the input!

I am not sure I would include every form of charm magic, but I think Nixies are very appropriate here, even if there is no reference to music in the monster description.

The adventure Old Man Katan and the Mushroom Band from Dragon #41 is not set in Mystara AFIK, but it does feel a lot like a Mystara adventure.

Thanks for mentioning Shriekers. I meant to include those, but somehow forgot :)

-Havard

np, glad to do :P
that was indeed the adventure...i seem to remember that is was placed (or advised to use if used on Mystara) somewhere in Karameikos near the 5shire border.
i still like the critters.
mawwy haws a wittwe wam as waits assnow...
lol

you also have musical crystals mentioned in the karameikos trilogy, and in shadow elf gazeteer as far as i know/remember.
according the adventure from the karameikos cd box, witches use chimes, as warding
fairies use a lot of music with interesting effects; time blocking out in a fairy ring for example; great for rip van winkle adventures.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Fire Giant

Return to Mystara