The Karameikos Experiment Play by Post, New Players wanted!

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

The Karameikos Experiment Play by Post, New Players wanted!

Postby Sturm » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:13 pm

Hi all, the Play by Post set in Karameikos started by me almost one and half year ago now is still going. We had 7 players originally but we are now down to 4, so I'd like to add 2 or 3 more at least.
The original recruiting thread was this one viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14314&hilit=karameikos+pbp but I think I have not respected all my intended premises, as probably the game has been a bit slower and less strategic than I originally planned.
Still we have played through the B6 module with a deviation hunting Iron Ring slavers in the open sea, then PC's have decided to go to Highforge (except for one who stayed in Specularum to fight the Iron Ring, until he stopped playing) and played a bit of B9, then B5.
We will probably now continue with some other B series module.
I have heavily modified them, for two main reasons, the first being the fact that when the modules were written there was not the amount of canon and fanon info we have now. The second being the fact that I like a more realistic style of play than old school D&D, at least in a PbP, so doing a dungeon room by room while monsters wait patiently for their turn is not gonna happen in this campaign.
That said, the PCs had the possibility to have their share of heroic moments, I believe, and see their actions modify the outcome of major events. The only caveat I have for prospective players is to approach this game with more brain than muscle, or at least not to expect that muscle can resolve any situation anytime. Still heroic and daring actions will always be rewarded. Sometimes, heroic death is a good enough reward for the most daring actions. :) People will remember you. For a while at least.

I will allow almost any kind of character built with any D&D edition, but could adapt him/her a bit to Mystara/Karameikos and will convert her/him to BECMI D&D rules, which anyway will stay on the background most of the time (DM will roll dice and the players are always encouraged to speak in game rather than by rules).
The player could build his/her own background or the DM will provide one. Some parts of the background will be decided randomly by the DM anyway (initial money, relatives and other things beyond the PC's control).

So if anyone is interested, please post in this thread any question, I will then contact any possible player through PM to proceed with the character's creation!
Sturm
Black Dragon

Re: The Karameikos Experiment Play by Post, New Players want

Postby Dartamian » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:59 pm

Sturm runs a great PbP, he even kept two separate adventures going when the group split up (sadly, I was the only one not to go to Highforge). He kept up a great solo adventure for my character until time constraints caused me to drop out. If you have the time I highly recommend joining.
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby stonedzep » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:05 am

Hello there,
I was really waiting for something like this for ages! Please count me in.
stonedzep
Goblin

Postby ghendar » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:52 am

How much of a time commitment are you expecting?
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?
ghendar
Hill Giant

Postby Sturm » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:04 am

Hi stonedzep, I will send you a PM soon for the character creation.

Hi ghendar, the time commitment is completely up to the player. I will normally post 3 to 5 times a week moving the story along a bit (on workdays generally and not in the weekend) but I will not wait for all players to reply. If a player does not reply, his/her PC will simply do a standard action along with the others (as attack with his/her primary weapon if there is a fight, or stay silent if there is a dialogue, and so on). Therefore the more the player is willing to partecipate, the more his/her contribution will be important in the story. However if a player does not post for more than a month, I will remove his/her PC from the current action/scene until he/she posts. I think this is important in a PbP game because the DM cannot address the player directly as in real time and waiting for everyone everytime is going to kill the PbP soon. Also with this method the players is normally free not to post for a few days and then returns to the game when she/he can.
I can also accept a limited commitment, as "I will try for a month and see if I am willing to keep up". Obviously if you leave after a month in the middle of some action your PC will disappear somehow (but will not be killed to leave the possibility of your eventual return open).
Obviously there are exceptions to the above in particular cases, as if the player tells me "I will be away for two weeks" or something like it. In these cases we could decide together if the PC is going to simply follow the others or be away for a while.
Let me know if you have more questions. If this can work for you, I can send you a PM to create a character.

Thanks Dartamian, I had your PC disappeared in game for the reasons explained below but you can always return somewhere in the future if you feel up to it and if the PbP is still running. Same is valid for the other players who left.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby stonedzep » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:59 pm

thanks , sheet received and re-sent. let me know because I don't know if i shared back correctly the file !

can't wait!
stonedzep
Goblin

Postby Sturm » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:55 pm

Yes I see your modifications, I will complete the rest and let you know what you can add. Not sure I will be able to do it today but monday at the latest. In the meantime you can see the IC (In Character) thread in progress here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=17459
and the OOC (Out of Character) thread here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=14327&p=192869#p192869
Your PC is not yet present in the In Character thread obviously but you can post in the Out of Character thread if you want to say hi to the others or have any question or comments.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:36 am

We have one more player now and and the story is going on.
Still there is space for more players if someone is interested, so I may bump this thread from time to time.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby ghendar » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:35 pm

Sturm wrote:
Hi ghendar, the time commitment is completely up to the player. I will normally post 3 to 5 times a week moving the story along a bit (on workdays generally and not in the weekend) but I will not wait for all players to reply. If a player does not reply, his/her PC will simply do a standard action along with the others (as attack with his/her primary weapon if there is a fight, or stay silent if there is a dialogue, and so on). Therefore the more the player is willing to partecipate, the more his/her contribution will be important in the story. However if a player does not post for more than a month, I will remove his/her PC from the current action/scene until he/she posts. I think this is important in a PbP game because the DM cannot address the player directly as in real time and waiting for everyone everytime is going to kill the PbP soon. Also with this method the players is normally free not to post for a few days and then returns to the game when she/he can.
I can also accept a limited commitment, as "I will try for a month and see if I am willing to keep up". Obviously if you leave after a month in the middle of some action your PC will disappear somehow (but will not be killed to leave the possibility of your eventual return open).
Obviously there are exceptions to the above in particular cases, as if the player tells me "I will be away for two weeks" or something like it. In these cases we could decide together if the PC is going to simply follow the others or be away for a while.
Let me know if you have more questions. If this can work for you, I can send you a PM to create a character.

Thanks. I'm going to bow out for now. Just too much going on. Maybe in the future. Good luck with the game
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?
ghendar
Hill Giant

Postby Sturm » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:25 am

Thanks, if you have time in the future, just let me know.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Mike » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:54 am

Are you still accepting players? I am interested.
Mike
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:31 am

Sure, if you have any question, start posting in the OOC thread here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=14327&start=300#p194096
If you have already an idea for a PC name and class, I will create the sheet and we can develop the background together directly on the shared Google sheet, I will send you the link via Piazza PM.
You can develop all the background you want or let me create one for you, as you prefer. As said above I will accept almost any class, race and background provided that we find a good "Mystaran" explanation for it :-)
The current PC are about to infiltrate the Sanctuary in B9, so your character will probably meet them there..
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:29 am

Not heard back from interested players yet, anyway as explained above if anyone wishes to join, just write an idea for PC name and class on the OOC thread (viewtopic.php?f=65&t=14327&start=300#p194096), or let me do it for you.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Return to Mystara