[Threshold] Mystaraspace Q&A

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII

[Threshold] Mystaraspace Q&A

Postby Chimpman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:10 pm

Threshold Q&A
We wanted to try something a little bit different with this issue of Threshold, by asking our readers to answer a question.
This issue of Threshold, Mystaraspace, details several of the planets within the Mystaran solar system, each of them unique from Mystara, but still supporting a myriad of races, cultures, and nations... and all of them ripe for adventure. As a DM, if you were to run a campaign on one of these planets, which would you choose, and why? As a Player, which of these planets would you most enjoy having your DM send you to explore?
Last edited by Chimpman on Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
User avatar
Chimpman
Hadozee
 
Posts: 7283
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 6:52 pm
Location: USA, California

Re: [Threshold] Mystaraspace Q&A

Postby Chimpman » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi folks! Be sure and drop by here after you've had a chance to read through Issue 15, and let us know where you would like to visit next in your own campaigns!
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
User avatar
Chimpman
Hadozee
 
Posts: 7283
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 6:52 pm
Location: USA, California

Re: [Threshold] Mystaraspace Q&A

Postby Sturm » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:02 pm

I am a contributor but also a reader, so I feel entitled to answer :) As a DM, I would probably start with Valerias/Ishtar, as there is now some material to develop the planet nicely.
I would probably stress out the differences with Mystara: gravity, clouds, strange reptilian creatures, the long day and night and the short seasons, the sun rising on the west, no moons, no stars..
As a player Vaniae/Sarimaar would be nice too, to do some John Carter-like heroics :)
User avatar
Sturm
Black Dragon
 
Posts: 3237
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: Genoa, Italy

Re: [Threshold] Mystaraspace Q&A

Postby Chimpman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:21 pm

Sturm wrote:I would probably stress out the differences with Mystara: gravity, clouds, strange reptilian creatures, the long day and night and the short seasons, the sun rising on the west, no moons, no stars..

With the heated/acidic waters, sea travel would be vastly different than on Mystara (if it happens at all). IIRC there are also another 2 or 3 continents to develop, so there is a lot of work that can be done with Ishtar (and I think Stefano has more articles planned for upcoming issues of Threshold!).

Would you bring your characters there from Mystara (as visitors), or would you set your campaign there from the beginning?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
User avatar
Chimpman
Hadozee
 
Posts: 7283
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 6:52 pm
Location: USA, California

Re: [Threshold] Mystaraspace Q&A

Postby Sturm » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:12 am

Chimpman wrote:Would you bring your characters there from Mystara (as visitors), or would you set your campaign there from the beginning?


Well both options would be interesting. With time, I'd like to do both. One adventure or mini campaign with a party of Mystarans and one with natives. If done subsequently to each other it could be a nice short campaign in a planet..
User avatar
Sturm
Black Dragon
 
Posts: 3237
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: Genoa, Italy

Re: [Threshold] Mystaraspace Q&A

Postby Big Mac » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:27 pm

I need to find some time to read through the magazine, but I'm really excited that you covered Mystaraspace and wanted to say thankyou to everyone involved.

Did Threshold Magazine do anything with that ties into that Mystara/Spelljammer adventure featuring the giff NPC? I'd love to see a Fan Enhancement for that, so if you have done anything with that, I'll read that article first.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 20318
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: [Threshold] Mystaraspace Q&A

Postby pauldupuis » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:15 pm

I have a someone different question after seeing the issue on Mystaraspace. With the amount of skyship activity implied by the populations in, and above, the skies of Mystara, has anyone worked out common air/space routes? My curiosity all comes from how likely is it that a given adventuring party on the ground in various areas of the known world is likely to see a UFO or an Identified Flying object (if low enough to the ground to be identified). Even and out of the way place like Threshold has Cordeilia' Carpet Service. Would there be a regular skyship run from Glantri to Specularum (a monthly diplomatic courier perhaps?) Would farmers in fields in the western farms of Thyatis see ships traveling up from Thyatis City into the the void beyond (to the Hollow Moon or elsewhere). Here on earth, if you like in a urban area near any size airport, you will see air traffic. If you live in a very rural area, the chances of seeing a plane overhead are much less. This also depends heavily on air traffic patterns and the altitude the planes fly at. If you are lucky (or know where and when to look) you can see the ISS pass by in orbit as a bright moving point of light. What level of activity do people on the ground see of skyship (or other flyer) activity?
pauldupuis
Goblin
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:13 pm

Re: [Threshold] Mystaraspace Q&A

Postby Chimpman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:13 pm

pauldupuis wrote:I have a someone different question after seeing the issue on Mystaraspace. With the amount of skyship activity implied by the populations in, and above, the skies of Mystara, has anyone worked out common air/space routes? My curiosity all comes from how likely is it that a given adventuring party on the ground in various areas of the known world is likely to see a UFO or an Identified Flying object (if low enough to the ground to be identified). Even and out of the way place like Threshold has Cordeilia' Carpet Service. Would there be a regular skyship run from Glantri to Specularum (a monthly diplomatic courier perhaps?) Would farmers in fields in the western farms of Thyatis see ships traveling up from Thyatis City into the the void beyond (to the Hollow Moon or elsewhere). Here on earth, if you like in a urban area near any size airport, you will see air traffic. If you live in a very rural area, the chances of seeing a plane overhead are much less. This also depends heavily on air traffic patterns and the altitude the planes fly at. If you are lucky (or know where and when to look) you can see the ISS pass by in orbit as a bright moving point of light. What level of activity do people on the ground see of skyship (or other flyer) activity?

That's a really good question. I have 2 initial thoughts:

1) There are really three major powers in the Known World area that field substantial airship fleets - Alphatia, Heldann, and Thyatis (probably in that order). Other countries have airships as well - Glantri specifically, but I don't think they are on the same level as the first three I mentioned.

2) Most skyship activity seems to be limited to military actions. Maybe not in Alphatia proper, but definitely for Heldann and Thyatis.

IMM, I would probably limit heavy airship traffic to major cities, military bases, and regions near ongoing military campaigns. Other sightings would be possible, but rare (perhaps airships are performing some kind of covert mission for example). There may be some evidence in the VotPA series to support this, with Haldemar often leaving the Princess Ark behind when journeying into major cities during his explorations.

On the other hand, I do think that Mystarans are probably way more used to seeing (large) things flying through the air that we would be in the real world. Flying creatures may be quite common even in rural areas. I suspect that rural Thyatians wouldn't even pay attention to things flying overhead - assuming they were Knights of the Air or some such. Of course people living in the borderlands might be more cautious, since creatures flying overhead there may be more hostile.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
User avatar
Chimpman
Hadozee
 
Posts: 7283
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 6:52 pm
Location: USA, California

Re: [Threshold] Mystaraspace Q&A

Postby Chimpman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:26 pm

Big Mac wrote:I need to find some time to read through the magazine, but I'm really excited that you covered Mystaraspace and wanted to say thankyou to everyone involved.

Did Threshold Magazine do anything with that ties into that Mystara/Spelljammer adventure featuring the giff NPC? I'd love to see a Fan Enhancement for that, so if you have done anything with that, I'll read that article first.


Copied this from the Savage Coast thread where it was mentioned previously.
Big Mac wrote:
Cthulhudrew wrote:
NPCDave wrote:The first thing I think of when I think about the Neshezu is...who is supplying them with wheellock pistols? Those come from all the way over from Cimarron County, along with powder and shot. And how is it that the Herathians haven't eradicated them or pushed them out of the forests?


That's a good question. Off the top of my head, I'd think perhaps they are getting them in trade with the Vilaverdan colony of Terra Leaoca. Either directly with the colonial ruler (don't recall his title), or perhaps through illicit trade with less than savory folk there (perhaps with a nod and wink from the colonial governor). IIRC, there is a prison there, so maybe there are also pirates and smugglers who the Neshezu trade with. Certainly their piratical leanings- clothing and weaponry- lead to some kind of connection with pirates.


They have starwheel pistols in Spellammer.

Are there many places that have wheellock pistols in Mystara?

There is a Spelljammer/Mystara adventure in one of the D&D starter sets, that features a giff chasing a neogi, but I thought that was set somewhere in Karameikos, otherwise I'd suggest that maybe guns were coming in from whatever Mystara location that adventure was located in.

Unfortunately I don't think we had anyone expand on that adventure in Issue #15. Based on the info you provided about the adventure, I would say that the best location for it is in the Savage Baronies (where they do have things like wheellock pistols... and the Red Curse).

As far as other direct tie ins to Spelljammer I think the issue is pretty sparse. I did however do an article revamp on my Exiles Campaign setting which is very Spelljammer friendly. I worked with nerik a while ago to help build up that part of the phlogiston, and a portion of his larger map is actually used in the article.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
User avatar
Chimpman
Hadozee
 
Posts: 7283
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 6:52 pm
Location: USA, California


Return to Mystara

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests