Blackwood Hills

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Blackwood Hills

Postby Knightfall » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:23 am

Where are these hills are on Mystara? What's around them?

I have a player for my AD&D 2E game who has made his character be from there, and I want to incorporate it into my Sea of Mystaros region for Almagra: World of Worlds. (I'm assuming he hasn't made up the name of the hills and placed it on Mystara.)
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Blackwood Hills

Postby Chimpman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:01 am

It's not a place name I'm familiar with. I've done a quick search through the trail maps http://pandius.com/tm1-tm2-western-and- ... ries-8.png, and wasn't able to find it... but that's not to say it isn't there somewhere. It could be in Alphatia, or the Isle of Dawn, but it'll take a while longer to search through there.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Sturm » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:38 am

I think Blackwood is mentioned in the Expert set as the forest south of Threshold where Bargle creates the magically hidden soldiers in one of the adventures.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:41 am

West of Threshold here: http://pandius.com/thrshld.html
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:59 am

Chimpman is also on your map here http://pandius.com/Threshold_1mph.jpg :-)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:41 am

Okay, so the Blackwood Hills are the hills between the Blackwoods and Castle Mistamere?

Sturm wrote:Chimpman is also on your map here http://pandius.com/Threshold_1mph.jpg :-)

Ulzmila's Hut is a location bordering on the Blackwoods. Where did that place originate?¨

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Chimpman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:28 pm

Sturm wrote:Chimpman is also on your map here http://pandius.com/Threshold_1mph.jpg :-)

:oops: :lol: Nice find Sturm. That's what I get for searching too quickly, although to be honest I was scanning for the "hills" tag and only looking at the yellow-brown areas of the map.

I agree though, that this is the most likely location for the Blackwood hills.

Havard wrote:Okay, so the Blackwood Hills are the hills between the Blackwoods and Castle Mistamere?

Well, the Black Woods are pretty much due west of Threshold. The hills between Black Woods and Mistamere are shown as treeless, but if you look south between the Black Woods and Old Antilles Castle (north of the Windrush), those are forested hills. I think that makes the most sense if the hills are in fact also part of the Black Woods forest.

Which means for Knightfall, that his PC is from Karameikos, somewhere very near to Threshold.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Knightfall » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:38 pm

Chimpman wrote:

:oops: :lol: Nice find Sturm. That's what I get for searching too quickly, although to be honest I was scanning for the "hills" tag and only looking at the yellow-brown areas of the map.

I agree though, that this is the most likely location for the Blackwood hills.

Excellent work Sturm. Thanks for the assist both of you.

Chimpman wrote:
Havard wrote:Okay, so the Blackwood Hills are the hills between the Blackwoods and Castle Mistamere?

Well, the Black Woods are pretty much due west of Threshold. The hills between Black Woods and Mistamere are shown as treeless, but if you look south between the Black Woods and Old Antilles Castle (north of the Windrush), those are forested hills. I think that makes the most sense if the hills are in fact also part of the Black Woods forest.

Yep, I think you're right.

Chimpman wrote:Which means for Knightfall, that his PC is from Karameikos, somewhere very near to Threshold.

Here is my player's description for his PC. The character's name is Axel Runo...
ShadowJak wrote:Well now that my name is out of the way let me introduce myself
I'm 8' 453 lbs really big beat stick with a nasty hatered for orc
I hale from the land of mystra Blackwood hills area my mother is ogre a beloved shamen
My father was her human play toy a gift from my grandfather
They died during a raid on my encampment by the local Baron's soldiers who were trying to cleanse the land from our kind
I decided to pick up my grandfathers war club to defend our people but was knocked unconscious and left for dead I awoke 3 days later to the burning smell of my parents this cause my mind to slip and the only thing left was Pankake she helped nurse me back to health so I tried to track down these vile evil men to seek revenge I learned how to swing Pankake with her help we have had many adventures together

So, his ogre mother was a shaman of the Blackwood Hills and much beloved, by someone. Likely her people. Axel's father was a human male that was given to Axel's mother by his ogre grandfather. His parents were killed by the soldiers of a local Baron. Does any NPC from canon come to mind? Who would that Baron be?

For my Almagra campaign setting, Axel is from the Sea of Mystaros region of the world (near the super world's southern pole), which is amalgam of the Know World, Blackmoor, the Savage Coast, Davania, plus a lot of Homebrewed stuff. The world is at much larger scale than Mystara, so Almagra's Known World is considerably larger than Mystara's canon.

So, ShadowJak and I could invent a new Baron to be the villain in his story, if there isn't someone in that region who fits as a vile Baron. Plus, I'll need to create a connection between Threshhold and Vrocia, whih is very far away from the Sea of Mystaros.
Last edited by Knightfall on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:39 pm

Here's the introduction of his PC into my Almagra-Vrocia 2E pbp campaign: Introducing Axel Runo!
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Chimpman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:08 pm

Knightfall wrote:So, ShadowJak and I could invent a new Baron to be the villain in his story, if there isn't someone in that region who fits as a vile Baron. Plus, I'll need to create a connection between Threshhold and Vrocia, whih is very far away from the Sea of Mystaros.

Heh! I suppose that depends on what you define as "vile", since the character's father was a "gift" to his mother (which sounds like the human father was captured, enslaved, and made a plaything of by the local ogre tribe - something I wouldn't really associate with "good" behavior :twisted: ). I do think there are a couple of local choices you could go with.

1) The Black Eagle Baron - This guy is typically one of the "Big Bad Guys" of Karameikos. He's a cousin of Duke Stefan Karameikos, and constantly scheming to discredit and overthrow the rightful ruler of the country. The Black Eagle Baron (Ludwig von Hendriks) has both human and humanoid followers, which might actually make more sense if he was a patron of the PC, rather than his enemy. The down side to using Ludwig though, is that his power base is in the Fort Doom/Luln area, which is on the western side of Karameikos, and a fair distance from Threshold and the Black Woods.

2) Baron Sherlane Halaran - Halaran is the ruler of Threshold and the surrounding region, and is generally a good natured and well liked ruler. He is fair and is loved by his people, but is intolerant and swift to punish those who break the rules. The problem here is that I don't see Halaran (at least the canon version of him) being very friendly with neighboring humanoid tribes. I'm pretty sure any humanoids in the area would be seen as enemies.

3) Baron Desmond Kelvin II - Kelvin is the ruler of the town of Kelvin and surrounding regions, just south of Threshold. He is brooding and harsh, and something of a warmonger. Like most of the rulers in Karameikos (other than von Hendriks) he is probably very opposed to the existence of dangerous humanoid tribes surrounding his domain.

It's possible that von Hendriks was sponsoring an ogre tribe in the Threshold region - probably trying to destabilize the area, and one of the other two barons set out to wipe the tribe out and remove the threat. I'm not sure if that fits exactly with your PCs story though...
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Return to Mystara