[5E] B1+B2 Collectors Edition - awesome for Mystara fans?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

[5E] B1+B2 Collectors Edition - awesome for Mystara fans?

Postby Kilr Kowalski » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:17 pm

Is this for real??????

http://goodman-games.com/blog/2017/03/26/classic-dd-module-collectors-editions/

Admin Edit: Split from Mystara back in Print topic viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16872

-Dragon Turtle
Kilr Kowalski
Gnoll

Re: Mystara Back in Print!

Postby Havard » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:23 pm

I just saw this too! It certainly looks real!

Here are some of the things I find interesting from that link:

Goodman Games wrote:The first hardcover collector’s edition will include B1: In Search of the Unknown and B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. These classic adventure modules were played by millions of gamers in their original editions. Among other things, the book includes:

• Commentary by gaming luminaries on the history and development of these modules, including gaming legends such as Frank Mentzer and Luke Gygax who were “on the inside” when these modules exploded in popularity.
  • A new interview with gaming legend Mike Carr, author of B1: In Search of the Unknown and early gaming pioneer.
  • Digitally restored scans of both B1 and B2, including multiple printings of B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. B2 went through nine printings in its original form, and there are material differences between the first three printings and subsequent editions. These include changes in monster stats and significant differences in interior art. Two printings are presented in their entirety to highlight these differences. The historical material also includes the true story behind the cover art of B1, which was the only cover image TSR ever published that featured the signatures of both David Trampier and David Sutherland.
  • A thorough and complete conversion of both B1 and B2 to the 5E rules set, fully playable with the original maps.
  • New 5E content providing additional detail on the areas surrounding the Caves of Chaos, including, at long last, the Cave of the Unknown.
  • Additional material for playing B1: In Search of the Unknown, including several completed monster and treasure assortments ready for play.
  • A variety of additional essays, commentary, and other material for play.

I hope GMG will get the lisence to do the rest of the B series too. And beyond!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Baron » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:31 pm

Not interested. PDFs and POD of the originals is all I want. Game-table-worthy, inexpensive. Now play.
Baron
Bugbear

Postby Dread Delgath » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:44 pm

Havard wrote:

I just saw this too! It certainly looks real!

I hope GMG will get the lisence to do the rest of the B series too. And beyond!

-Havard

This is fantastic! I know "Tales from the Yawning Portal" just came out, and it may be too early for numbers, but the first thing I thought of was "...if Yawning Portal did well enough, it may prove that refitting classic AD&D & Classic D&D modules to 5E will sell..." to old gamers-cum-5E like me. :mrgreen:

Or, more likely, the response to these modules re-skinned for 5E on DM's Guild is more likely. :mrgreen:

However, after my one and only gander at what they offered for the $$, I wouldn't buy anything with that little work. I would be interested in physical deadtree format -- but it has to be fully refitted, not just skinned with notes on which pages of the MM the monsters are found on. I could do that in my sleep, and I wouldn't pay anyone for doing that. :| :? :x
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby Havard » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:21 am

Dread Delgath wrote:This is fantastic! I know "Tales from the Yawning Portal" just came out, and it may be too early for numbers, but the first thing I thought of was "...if Yawning Portal did well enough, it may prove that refitting classic AD&D & Classic D&D modules to 5E will sell..." to old gamers-cum-5E like me. :mrgreen:

Or, more likely, the response to these modules re-skinned for 5E on DM's Guild is more likely. :mrgreen:

However, after my one and only gander at what they offered for the $$, I wouldn't buy anything with that little work. I would be interested in physical deadtree format -- but it has to be fully refitted, not just skinned with notes on which pages of the MM the monsters are found on. I could do that in my sleep, and I wouldn't pay anyone for doing that. :| :? :x

When you are referring to price I assume you are talking about Yawning Portal? Do we know the price of the Goodman Games twin module book yet? I guess since it is called a Collectors Edition, I suppose that means a more slick looking and higher priced item? Obviously this book will be of most use to 5E fans (and I am one of those too), but I am also intrigued by the added material, additional insight from Mentzer, Carr and Luke Gygax should be of interest to other parts of the fandom as well.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [5E] B1+B2 Collectors Edition - awesome for Mystara fans

Postby Robin » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:13 pm

may be interesting :? , but it is 5th edition, :shock: :( ;(
often only the art and maps are good or better :? , but BECMI as system is in my opinion best :ugeek: :ugeek: :geek:
i am interested though in the "Cave of the unknown"section' :mrgreen: which was not included in the original material.

but still..for me it is near impossible to buy &D stuff.
In the netherlands even most game shops stopped most material except the latest version of manuals... adventures, older versions, are near to impossible to come by. miniatures; are for example impossible to attain, no shop wants to sell this space consuming stuff, especially with such a low interest

i would embrace a shop where i could buy old and new physical material (preferrably in the Netherlands),
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Dread Delgath » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:27 pm

Havard wrote:
Dread Delgath wrote:This is fantastic! I know "Tales from the Yawning Portal" just came out, and it may be too early for numbers, but the first thing I thought of was "...if Yawning Portal did well enough, it may prove that refitting classic AD&D & Classic D&D modules to 5E will sell..." to old gamers-cum-5E like me. :mrgreen:

When you are referring to price I assume you are talking about Yawning Portal? Do we know the price of the Goodman Games twin module book yet? I guess since it is called a Collectors Edition, I suppose that means a more slick looking and higher priced item? Obviously this book will be of most use to 5E fans (and I am one of those too), but I am also intrigued by the added material, additional insight from Mentzer, Carr and Luke Gygax should be of interest to other parts of the fandom as well.

-Havard

Oh no! For "$$" I meant DM's Guild re-skinned classic modules; and that was after I DL'd a free (pwyw) PDF of B4 "The Lost City" and saw what they were charging for "re-skinning" for 5e. Their version of "re-skinning" had nothing to do with re-writing the module, just a Cliff-notes version of monster manual pages and traps - "Yawning Portal" presented entire modules with only slight re-writes to conform to 5e rules. This is the big money difference I was referring to last week. ;)

And, I want to add that as of right now, WotC D&D products are the only products I am currently considering on my want list because they are the only versions available locally. My FLGS does not carry any 3rd party D&D books. ;(

Internet transactions are right out :evil: due to me not having secure internet access, and to avoid interweb-thievery, I will not order anything online from my laptop at the coffee shop (also limited funds is a HUGE factor!). :?
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Postby Mike » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:38 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:Oh no! For "$$" I meant DM's Guild re-skinned classic modules; and that was after I DL'd a free (pwyw) PDF of B4 "The Lost City" and saw what they were charging for "re-skinning" for 5e. Their version of "re-skinning" had nothing to do with re-writing the module, just a Cliff-notes version of monster manual pages and traps - "Yawning Portal" presented entire modules with only slight re-writes to conform to 5e rules. This is the big money difference I was referring to last week. ;)

The so-called conversions are silly IMO, and strike me as an effortless money-grab. And instead of converting a classic monster they just change it something else that never existed in Mystara. And all with no regard to how the new rules affect encounter balance. I don't see how they can charge money for that, it has no value whatsoever. I could just play the module as written and look up monsters in the 5e MM index, and it would be faster than (and just as good as) using the "conversion."

But no matter, I play classic rules and am happy with the classic PDFs. Haven't tried POD yet, but I find PDF is just fine. Typically I only run a module once or twice, so I don't need deadtree for that, and the PDF is just fine for researching details of Mystara canon. (If I do print something, I make my own cliff notes and print those)

I am also completely uninterested in having the Cave of the Unknown defined for me.
Mike
Ogre

Postby Kilr Kowalski » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:28 am

Re: the price, I'm thinking it might be a bit expensive, unless WOTC have gotten them to have a sublicense like with sasquatch games studios making princes of the apocalypse.

If you look at Goodman Games' prices for other Collector's editions, they're a bit steep (and delayed)
http://goodman-games.com/store/product-category/coming-soon/

Slated for september release and an article on the wizards website are two good signs
Kilr Kowalski
Gnoll

Postby Carillion » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Hello Kilr Kowalski

Thanks for the heads up on this! I hadn't seen this before.

This all looks very interesting, and I would certainly consider buying such supplements if they became available. I do share your concern about the price though - some of Goodman Games' previous supplements cost $100. :o
Carillion
Ogre

Postby Havard » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:33 pm

Carillion wrote:This all looks very interesting, and I would certainly consider buying such supplements if they became available. I do share your concern about the price though - some of Goodman Games' previous supplements cost $100. :o

Note that the Judges Guild Collectors Edtion, while it did cost 100 USD was a 232 pages at 12"x18" (31x46cm), so a pretty massive hardover book(!). I doubt the B1+B2 will be of the same size and cost as it only includes two modules in addition to whatever essays they include. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Kilr Kowalski » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:23 pm

The real problem is not a prohibitive cost but that I will pay the cost irrespective of the price...
Kilr Kowalski
Gnoll

Postby RobJN » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Havard wrote:
Carillion wrote:This all looks very interesting, and I would certainly consider buying such supplements if they became available. I do share your concern about the price though - some of Goodman Games' previous supplements cost $100. :o

Note that the Judges Guild Collectors Edtion, while it did cost 100 USD was a 232 pages at 12"x18" (31x46cm), so a pretty massive hardover book(!). I doubt the B1+B2 will be of the same size and cost as it only includes two modules in addition to whatever essays they include. :)

-Havard

Is it re-printing the originals and a 5e-ification? Then that's four modules, basically :D
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Kilr Kowalski » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:45 pm

Apparently they played the conversion at gary con 2017.. In parts at least.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/208140/ ... nt-Catalog (page 5)..

Anyone attend for this?
Kilr Kowalski
Gnoll

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue May 02, 2017 7:55 pm

This is fairly cool, I'm not sure if I will jump on it though. So far I have avoided buying 3PP for 5E since I mostly have an interest in Pathfinder & Starfinder and already support 3PP content for them.

I'd like to try to keep my 5E collection limited to official releases. However, I can understand why this might have an appeal; mine is just super-slim.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Havard » Tue May 02, 2017 8:11 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:This is fairly cool, I'm not sure if I will jump on it though. So far I have avoided buying 3PP for 5E since I mostly have an interest in Pathfinder & Starfinder and already support 3PP content for them.

I'd like to try to keep my 5E collection limited to official releases. However, I can understand why this might have an appeal; mine is just super-slim.

Well, I don't want to trick you into investing Angel, but as far as official releases go, Wizards do include it as part of their catalog:

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tableto ... re-modules

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue May 02, 2017 8:31 pm

Havard wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:This is fairly cool, I'm not sure if I will jump on it though. So far I have avoided buying 3PP for 5E since I mostly have an interest in Pathfinder & Starfinder and already support 3PP content for them.

Well, I don't want to trick you into investing Angel, but as far as official releases go, Wizards do include it as part of their catalog:

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tableto ... re-modules

-Havard

That is because they officially endorse it...and without endorsing it Goodman would not be able to do this. I am specifically looking for that Wizards of the Coast logo specifically on books published for 5E by WotC. Published by Green Ronin is not the same as published by WotC. ;)
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Havard » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:50 pm

I heard these are to be released at GenCon?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Morfie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:11 am

Havard wrote:I heard these are to be released at GenCon?

-Havard

Yeah the article says that
The deluxe hardcover volume is anticipated to be available at Gen Con with general release in September 2017
but no updates since then.
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby Robin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:46 am

I would like to have a copy (even if it is 5th (blegh) edition...if it were only for the extra caves being detailed...these are the most interesting to me, as I heard they were based on the original drawing sections left out due space or clarity thosedays....I could reconvert it easily (hopefully) back to Normal D&D, and the maps might be nicer drawn than earlier, although without the charm of a old book
The problem is how to acquire it here in Europe/Nederland
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Havard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:38 pm

I like 5th Edition quite a bit. Not a perfect edition, but then I have yet to find that one.

I assume this Collector's Edition will become available for regular sale after GenCon at some point. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dread Delgath » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:23 pm

I might've said/paraphrased this before in this thread or another, and if I did, I apologize. I can't re-read everything I wrote. :cool:

Having these would be nice to have, but...

I can convert the originals to 5th edition with little to no work, accepting a lot of 'cheats' like subbing an existing 5e monster for an original monster that hasn't been converted yet. The same for spells and magic items, but IME magic items do what they do regardless of edition, but that said, I have seen the difference between 1e Blackrazor and 5e Blackrazor. :shock:
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Postby stebehil » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:56 pm

I just wondered if anything happened to this product. Apparently, it is delayed considerably.
Some news can be found here: http://goodman-games.com/blog/2017/09/1 ... rderlands/
stebehil
Bugbear

Postby Havard » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:04 pm

stebehil wrote:I just wondered if anything happened to this product. Apparently, it is delayed considerably.
Some news can be found here: http://goodman-games.com/blog/2017/09/1 ... rderlands/

Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering what happened to this one! :)

Hopefully we will see it soon.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ghendar » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:17 pm

It bugs me that they keep referring to the original 1e version. These modules were not written for 1e. The original B1 came with the Holmes rules. B2 came with Moldvay basic and then Mentzer Basic.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?
ghendar
Hill Giant

Next

Return to Mystara