Medusas in Mystara

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Medusas in Mystara

Postby oleck » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:44 pm

Which would be the best place or country to put these creatures :?: Thyatis :?:

If two medusas see each other, they turn to stone :?: How they have baby medusas :?: Or they are unique creatures :?: Is there any book that mention something more complex of medusas :?:

Do male medusas exist :?: How much they live :?: In how many oficial adventures medusas apear :?:
oleck
Bugbear

Re: Medusas in Mystara

Postby Robin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:31 pm

As to my compilation research about Medusae
I can say they are originally indiginous species of the Elemental Plane of Earth.
Apparently there was a war or takeover and the excess females (and some rare males) were expelled on the Prime Plane, and thus some land on Mystara.

Female Medusa or the commonly known kind (here an AD&D2 link http://www.lomion.de/cmm/medusa.php)

Females are immune to their own and other Medusae petrification on the Elemental Plane, They are however NOT immune on the to their own gaze attack on Prime Plane, However, if slain their power remains within their eyes Only on the Prime Plane, on the Elemental Plane they are dead. This suggests that they are somehow still alive, and that the pretrification is stronger on the prime plane than anywhere else, and also suggests they will be able to return to flesh(stone flesh actually, as their bodies are still elementally composed) in time or by magic. I would assume that when they are touched by a Maedar (male Medusa) they are turned back to life, and then have to regenerate with more time, matter and elemental energy (which can by siphoned from living organisms turned to stone and digested. .
A web based source suggested a petrified medusa must make a saving vs petrification at -5 each 2d12 months to de-petrify. another source used their constitution to determine the amount of months (20-Con Medusa= months until new save applies)

Male Medusa rarely mentioned but they do exist and are called Maedar (here an AD&D2 Link http://www.lomion.de/cmm/medumaed.php

Male Medusae are ALWAYS immune to female petrification even on the Prime Plane.
Actually ANY elemental is immune to its own elemental powers..and thus petrification is no power on the Elemental plane except to other planar intruders. A medusa will thus NOT be affected by a Gorgon's breath.
Maedar are very rare on the Prime Plane (as they have a balanced amount of females on their own plane 1 male per 2 females, and a 33% chance if medusa give birth to 1d3 young they are all male, or 66% they areall female...a litter is never mixed...a natural measure to prevent incest.) Medusa are oviparous and ignore their offspring... however if the father discovers it it will protect them from a distance if they are male. Female children and mothers may become friends from the age of puberty (they ages as fast as a dwarf), before that they live as the same litter group.

remember the AD&D2 statistics above are different from BECMI Mystara D&D statistics, and they do not take account on the variations in statistics between the Prime and Elemental earth planes...which the Rules Encyclopedia and the BECMI boxes do give.
In my compilation, I fuse these materials together, where the D&D BECMI are dominant, and other sources complete the gaps in information.

As to where Medusae would appear; I suggest very large amounts of Matter, and cave complexes, thus almost anywhere underground near a active (or formerly active) at least exiting Gate to thePlane of Earth.
Otherwise I would place them in huge mountains (Black Mountains, Makkress, Norwold mountain Chain, etc)

hope this incomplete information helps a bit (I haven't trully reached this chapter in my Mystara Monster Manual Compilation Book :o :( , but they will eventually be listed Under Elementals' Earth :lol:

sorry can't acces my D&D database, as my own PC its graphic card is damaged and onto repair. this loan PC does not have the info, and the backup dis can't be attached to it, so i'll post BECMI stars later
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:26 pm

As Robin said, medusae in BECMI Mystara were originally immigrants from the Elemental Plane of Earth, though they're considered to be natives of both the Plane of Earth and the Prime Plane in the present day.

On their original plane, medusae look very different. The D&D Companion Rules say they resemble "an ugly writhing mass of 10' long tentacles connected to a small lumpy spherical body. Several eyes on foot-long eyestalks also protrude from the body; the mouth has many teeth." On their own plane, the medusa has a paralyzation attack rather than a flesh to stone attack. IM1 calls them "plant-like" beings, and the one in that module is just begging for food. The one in IM2 is aggressive, though, seeking to paralyze and bite the adventurers.

The maedar was originally detailed in Dragon #106 by Ed Greenwood. It's an AD&D creature, and it might not exist in a Mystara campaign. The standard AD&D explanation was that female medusae chose humanoid (including human) males to mate with, a process that ended with the males' deaths. Two to six eggs were laid a month later, and the medusa hatchlings emerge from their eggs eight months after that. Maedar are very rare, and aren't strictly needed because any humanoid mate will do, but maedar are valued by medusae as protectors and companions.

In BECMI, most elementals reproduce by division, so it's possible that medusae do as well, at least on the Elemental Plane of Earth.

It seems possible that medusae are related to beholders, who also have a flesh to stone power.

I'd say that medusae can be encountered in most Mystaran nations, adapting to the local culture, though they prefer areas with caves. Karameikos and Minaea would be particularly appropriate, but I could just as easily see them adapting to life in Ylaruam or the Savage Coast. I wonder if their flesh to stone power would be enough for them to be considered magic-users by Alphatians or Glantrians?
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:31 am

The former Mileanian region in Davania would be appropriate too, as Milenia in the Hollow World.
Maybe for some unknown reason medusas followed the Traldars, Milenians and Thyatians in their migrations, if we wish to have a connection with their real world Greek origin.
Or maybe they are everywhere, they are just not called medusas in non-Milenian regions.
BTW, curiously in the original Greek myth, medusa and her sisters are daughters of sea gods, so wonder why they were connected to earth in D&D..
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Robin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:58 am

Sturm wrote:BTW, curiously in the original Greek myth, medusa and her sisters are daughters of sea gods, so wonder why they were connected to earth in D&D..

ripvanwormer wrote:As Robin said, medusae in BECMI Mystara were originally immigrants from the Elemental Plane of Earth, though they're considered to be natives of both the Plane of Earth and the Prime Plane in the present day.

On their original plane, medusae look very different. The D&D Companion Rules say they resemble "an ugly writhing mass of 10' long tentacles connected to a small lumpy spherical body. Several eyes on foot-long eyestalks also protrude from the body; the mouth has many teeth." On their own plane, the medusa has a paralyzation attack rather than a flesh to stone attack. IM1 calls them "plant-like" beings, and the one in that module is just begging for food. The one in IM2 is aggressive, though, seeking to paralyze and bite the adventurers.

Maybe they originally live in the liquid form of matter on the Plane of Matter (ie mud)...it would explain their tentacle appearance and thus movement..

ripvanwormer wrote:The maedar was originally detailed in Dragon #106 by Ed Greenwood. It's an AD&D creature, and it might not exist in a Mystara campaign. The standard AD&D explanation was that female medusae chose humanoid (including human) males to mate with, a process that ended with the males' deaths. Two to six eggs were laid a month later, and the medusa hatchlings emerge from their eggs eight months after that. Maedar are very rare, and aren't strictly needed because any humanoid mate will do, but maedar are valued by medusae as protectors and companions.

That is only the reproduction with Earth humans and Humanoids (demihumans will not cause reproduction as these have too much time within themselves, which is rejected biologocally/genetically and probably even socially/culturally and may even be frowned upon). the high reproductive rate of humans and humanmoids and the genetic equality or genetic dominance/adaptability of the medusa may be their only chance to survive.
ripvanwormer wrote:In BECMI, most elementals reproduce by division, so it's possible that medusae do as well, at least on the Elemental Plane of Earth.

i agree elementals do reproduce by division, but djinn, efreet, medusae and all kinds of non-pure elementals reproduce by specific mating rituals and then an external (egg/matter fusion/growth) or internal (Pregnancy/egg-young sac/carnivorous feeding on mother or father which carries it) as according some D&D older web sources.
ripvanwormer wrote:It seems possible that medusae are related to beholders, who also have a flesh to stone power.
Hmmm if Beholders are indeed created as some sources say it might indeed be possible that a part of a medusa was used as component, but i think that this was such a varied, and elementally varied source of component need/use it would deem almost impossible to succeeed, and then thus succesfully...beholders spread to all realms of the Multiverse.. Most sources (web and book) say these are creatures from the Mystara Dimension of nightmares (or a similar realm), living on the outer edge or ' their' ethereal plane along the various elemental planes of this dimension, and their conquest need, powers and magic awareness and even knowledge caused them to migrate away and thus enter the other realms of the Multiverse.
ripvanwormer wrote: I wonder if their flesh to stone power would be enough for them to be considered magic-users by Alphatians or Glantrians?
hmmm interesting, ...Though their components are sold on the markets/monstershops/magicalcomponent shops/etc of Glantri I seems that these creatures are seen more as a danger and menace to destroy (and then use) than as a viable glantri citizen....as seen from the eye of the beholder...ALL Glantrians are inferior slaves and/or food and some might be dangerous vrsions of these two...so I would keep to say NO..
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby warriorneedsfood » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks for the write-up! There's a Medusa prisoner in the Temple of Evil Chaos in the Keep on the Borderlands adventure. I ended up writing a cool encounter with the creature and I'm going to get to it in the next year in my webcomic.

Medusa are poisonous and as dangerous as nuclear fire, but they are glass cannons and it doesn't take much to kill them if you can get close. I did use the humanoid PC rules from Orcs of Thar to have the Medusa start collecting XP on her way to being a spellcaster.
warriorneedsfood
Orc

Postby Havard » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:10 pm

The Immortal Patron of Medusas is Bachraeus

As I mentioned in this thread about Davania, there might also have been a civilization of Medusa on that continent linked to the Cult of Bachraeus:

Havard wrote:I also think that the Mask of Bachareus:

Rules Cyclopedia p 249 wrote:History: This mask was made by Bachraeus, an Immortal who became the patron of the medusae. The mask was to be worn by the high cleric
of a secret cult that grew within the Milennian Empire and formed a dangerous alliance with the medusae. With the fall of that empire and the destruction of the cult, the mask was lost. Description: A smooth, blue mask of a strange ceramic material; the features are stylized, possibly female or elvish. A wig of long, dark, leathery strips is attached at the top and back.

<snip>

Notes: This artifact is evilly enchanted and can be detected as such. The wearer loses 1 point of Charisma immediately when the mask is put on, then more at the rate of 1 point per week until a Charisma of 4 is reached. The mask, meanwhile, will become progressively uglier and more evillooking. The use of any power by the wearer is voluntary. If the wearer dies, he and his equipment turn to stone with the exception of this artifact. This artifact will shatter irrevocably if its gaze is ever reflected by the Golden Mirror of Ka. The wearer of the mask will be immediately stunned for a full turn and will remember nothing of what he did while wearing the mask, but he will be otherwise unharmed.

The Codex Immortalis also details Bachraeus and the cult he had on Davania.

A civilization of Medusae and Yuan-Ti somewhere on Davania (near the ruins of Milennia) seems appropriate.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Mortis » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:10 pm

Taken from Volume 3 of the Magic of Mystara (just seen and corrected one typo).

MASK OF BACHRAEUS

Appearance: A blue, ceramic mask with a smooth surface that entirely covers the face, with vaguely feminine eyes, nose and mouth painted on in black.

History: It is said that this mask was created by the Nithian pharaoh Bachraeus following a divine curse to hide his horrible face from the people. Afterwards the mask changed hands ending up in the possession of a secret Milenian cult of worshippers of Bachraeus, who is believed to have risen among the Immortals as the patron of serpents and meduse. With the fall of the Empire of Milenia in Davania the cult disappeared and the mask was lost. It could still be on the Davanian continent, in the possession of some reptilian tribe or descendants of the Milenians, or even been transferred into the Hollow World along with the Milenians.

Source: Mystaran mythology. The “Rules Cyclopedia” briefly describes the Mask and its powers, while the “Codex Immortalis” describes Bachraeus and his history in detail.

Sphere: Entropy (Bachraeus)
Magnitude: Minor (Power Limits: 2A, 1B, 2C, 3D)
Suggested Powers (100 PP):
Mask, permanent reflection
A2. Charm Person 15 PP
C2. Flesh to Stone 60 PP
D3. Poison Resistance 25 PP

Activation: The mask is activated when discovered, and if analysed emits a powerful aura of evil. Once worn, it telepathically communicates its powers to its owner, who to invoke them need only focus on them without uttering a word.

Destruction: The mask can only be destroyed if it is reflected in the Golden Mirror of Ka during a night of the full moon. At that point there is a 30% chance that both items shatter for each round that the mask is reflected in the mirror. If the mask is destroyed, its owner is stunned for 1 turn, at the end of which he loses the memory of every action he undertook whilst in possession of the mask (including any xp gained).

Handicaps (1)
Handicap: Once worn, the mask drains the owner’s spirit and distorts his features reducing his Charisma by 1 point per week until it reaches a minimum score of 4, when the drawn features also take on a distinctly evil air. Once worn, the mask cannot be removed from his face until the owner’s death, which causes the petrification of the subject and all his equipment, with the exception of the mask itself.

Penalties (1)
Characteristic Penalty: The subject’s Strength score drops by 1 point per hour and if it reaches zero he dies.
Mortis
Hill Giant

Postby oleck » Wed May 03, 2017 6:06 pm

Thx a lot for the information.
oleck
Bugbear

Return to Mystara