[Karameikos] Rodemus Clan returns in 5E UA article

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII

[Karameikos] Rodemus Clan returns in 5E UA article

Postby RobJN » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:52 pm

Surprised nobody's mentioned it yet, but last week's Unearthed Arcana exploring Downtime activities introduces the idea of the Foil, a hindering influence on your PCs' carefully plotted "time off from dungeon delving." Whom should they choose to spotlight, but a member of the Rodemus clan. (Though, I would argue that the plural of "Rodemus" should be "Rodemice" ;) )

Moderator Edit: Split from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2390
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: 3E/4E/5E Mystara Product List (and Downloads)

Postby Hugin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:00 pm

I just failed my Mystara Lore check, Rob. Who are the Rodemus clan?
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby RobJN » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:06 pm

Hugin wrote:I just failed my Mystara Lore check, Rob. Who are the Rodemus clan?

They're actually from the Moldvay Basic set's sample dungeon, the "Haunted Keep." :geek:
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Havard » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:16 pm

RobJN wrote:Surprised nobody's mentioned it yet, but last week's Unearthed Arcana exploring Downtime activities introduces the idea of the Foil, a hindering influence on your PCs' carefully plotted "time off from dungeon delving." Whom should they choose to spotlight, but a member of the Rodemus clan. (Though, I would argue that the plural of "Rodemus" should be "Rodemice" ;) )

Great find Rob!

I love how the article even gives us a name and a backstory for the character of Myron Rodemus. Did this clan originally come from Specularum/Mirros? According to the article, Myron seeks to return to the city again to reclaim the family holdings there 30 years after they left because of their Lycantropy. 30 years later meaning AC1030?

The PDF also name drops Orcus BTW.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby RobJN » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:26 pm

Havard wrote:
RobJN wrote:Surprised nobody's mentioned it yet, but last week's Unearthed Arcana exploring Downtime activities introduces the idea of the Foil, a hindering influence on your PCs' carefully plotted "time off from dungeon delving." Whom should they choose to spotlight, but a member of the Rodemus clan. (Though, I would argue that the plural of "Rodemus" should be "Rodemice" ;) )

Great find Rob!

I love how the article even gives us a name and a backstory for the character of Myron Rodemus. Did this clan originally come from Specularum/Mirros? According to the article, Myron seeks to return to the city again to reclaim the family holdings there 30 years after they left because of their Lycantropy. 30 years later meaning AC1030?

The PDF also name drops Orcus BTW.

-Havard

Canon is a bit fuzzy, but fanon places the clan as either Hattian or from Machetos, following the Grand Duke into Traladara, and settling near Luln on or about the 970s-ish AC
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Havard » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:20 am

RobJN wrote:Canon is a bit fuzzy, but fanon places the clan as either Hattian or from Machetos, following the Grand Duke into Traladara, and settling near Luln on or about the 970s-ish AC

The name Rodemus does sound Thyatian or Hattian rather than Traladaran, that's for sure. Myron Rodemus is now ready to return to his family's merchant holdings and re-establish that Merchant House. However, the PDF says City. Does Luln quality as a city though? Or, if we are indeed talking AC1010, has Luln grown that much? Or perhaps we are talking about the City of Halag?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby RobJN » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:20 am

Havard wrote:
RobJN wrote:Canon is a bit fuzzy, but fanon places the clan as either Hattian or from Machetos, following the Grand Duke into Traladara, and settling near Luln on or about the 970s-ish AC

The name Rodemus does sound Thyatian or Hattian rather than Traladaran, that's for sure. Myron Rodemus is now ready to return to his family's merchant holdings and re-establish that Merchant House. However, the PDF says City. Does Luln quality as a city though? Or, if we are indeed talking AC1010, has Luln grown that much? Or perhaps we are talking about the City of Halag?

-Havard

My knee-jerk inclination was to use Specularum. Although... Halag, with its ties to the Black Eagle and all of his nefariousness™, would make a good fit. A really good fit if you want to mix a possible/looming outbreak of wererat-flavored lycanthropy into your Iron Ring plotline(s)... :twisted:
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Havard » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:38 pm

RobJN wrote:
Havard wrote:

-Havard

My knee-jerk inclination was to use Specularum. Although... Halag, with its ties to the Black Eagle and all of his nefariousness™, would make a good fit. A really good fit if you want to mix a possible/looming outbreak of wererat-flavored lycanthropy into your Iron Ring plotline(s)... :twisted:

Indeed. Of course you can take this 30 years later reference and adjust it so it fits into any campaign, but I rather like the idea of placing these events ca AC1030. In this era, I imagine one of Stefan's sons having taken over Halag, but gradually having been corrupted by the legacy of the Black Eagle haunting the walls of Fort Doom. No wonder Rodemus is being drawn to the place?

Are there things from PC4 we could use to expand on the Rodemus Clan?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Chimpman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:09 am

Havard wrote:

Actually the way I read this is that 30 years ago Myron and his family left the "City" - liquidating their holdings and following Stefan Karameikos to Traladara. Now, having established himself in Karameikos, Rodemus is ready to return to Machetos and reclaim his birthright. That could put the "now" in AC 1000... and set the "City" as Machetos in Thyatis.

I kind of like that story line actually. Other noble families might have legitimately wanted to follow Stefan Karameikos into Traladara, liquidating their holdings and setting off to a new land to find their fortunes... however the Rodemus family really didn't have any choice. Had they not packed up and left Machetos, then they would have very quickly been driven out. Instead they left before anyone could connect them with the rash of lycanthropy that was going around (and because other families also left at that time, no one could tell for sure where the plague originated). Now after 30 years have passed, and the wererat curse is all but forgotten, the youngest Rodemus (who gets nothing in Karameikos) looks back to his ancestral lands.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: [Karameikos] Rodemus Clan returns in 5E UA article

Postby Hugin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:22 am

I like that, Chimpman. The 30 years corresponding to the period between Stefan's arrival, along with many Thyatians, and the "current" AC 1000 timeframe seems intentional.

(And I can't believe I *completely* forgot about the Rodemus clan... :facepalm: )
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:51 am

Don't forget that there is a rather large nest of wererats in Thyatis City itself (having been the apparent birthplace of the Lesser Wererat- giant rats that turn into men). As far as the Rodemus clan goes, according to Niccolo Galateo's research in PC4, there were no recorded instances of humans that turned into rats prior to 961 AC. Could the Rodemus clan (for whatever reason) have been the selected "patient zero" group of humans that Mrikitat used for his Greater Wererat breeding experiments?
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby paleologos » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:00 am

Hugin wrote:I like that, Chimpman. The 30 years corresponding to the period between Stefan's arrival, along with many Thyatians, and the "current" AC 1000 timeframe seems intentional.

I agree - seems like the writer knows his material.

I've got a draft of the 2nd and 3rd levels of "The Haunted Keep" supplemented by my Karameikos "Hidden Years" material, and this would slot in quite nicely if the Rodemus family left Specularum in 970 AC with the arrival of Stefan and his Thyatian cohort. The lycanthropy might even have been contracted from a wererat on board one of the Thyatian ships. The Rodemus family retires to their country estate near Luln, but the curse overcomes the family, and the Keep seemingly becomes abandoned. Myron might even be returning to Specularum because player characters in 1000 AC have cleaned out the Keep.

By the way, I always thought "Rodemus" was a Moldvay play on the word "Rodent"...
paleologos
Bugbear

Postby Cthulhudrew » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:49 am

A couple of other ideas occurred to me:

1) The Rodemus family might not be greater wererats at all, but a family of original-style lesser wererats who managed to get themselves into a position of prominence in human society by dint of being slightly smarter and cannier than their kin.
2) I've always lamented that Wereskalot (along the Shires/Karameikos border) went from being an interesting if unexamined ruin in the Expert set to a simple halfling village in Gaz8. Maybe the Rodemus family estates used to be located here?
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Marco Fossati » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:50 pm

in an older UA there was also a reference to von Hendriks, wasn't it?
Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Postby Havard » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:48 pm

Marco Fossati wrote:in an older UA there was also a reference to von Hendriks, wasn't it?

Indeed:
Baron Ludvig Von Hendriks and a group of rebels fighting against him are mentioned in this 5E Unearthed Arcana PDF. It was the one about Artificers. Mike Mearls has claimed credits for that reference.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Marco Fossati » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:44 am

Havard wrote:
Marco Fossati wrote:in an older UA there was also a reference to von Hendriks, wasn't it?

Indeed:
Baron Ludvig Von Hendriks and a group of rebels fighting against him are mentioned in this 5E Unearthed Arcana PDF. It was the one about Artificers. Mike Mearls has claimed credits for that reference.

-Havard

Mystara will never die!
Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Postby Havard » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:52 pm

Marco Fossati wrote:Mystara will never die!

:)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to Mystara