How large are the INDIVIDUAL Darokin borderlands?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

How large are the INDIVIDUAL Darokin borderlands?

Postby Flameflicker » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:44 pm

Darokin borderlands are a "collection of small (and sometimes not-so small) holdings along the borders of Darokin", according to GAZ11, p.11 of the Dungeon Master's Guide. The same page shows a 24-mile-per-hex map of Darokin, with the borderlands territories marked... but while the heartland dominions get their individual borders shown, the same cannot be said of the borderlands, unless almost every contiguous "piece of borderland" is a single borderland. Which would make the average borderland pretty large and very oddly shaped for a feudal holding, and border magistrates definitely more powerful than the typical baron of another land, as they are instead described. Any info about the actual borders/names of the individual borderlands?
Flameflicker
Kobold

Re: How large are the INDIVIDUAL Darokin borderlands?

Postby Cthulhudrew » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:25 pm

There was some discussion about this back on the Mystara Message Board at the Wizards forums when Thorf was working on his Darokin map. I believe there may also be a little bit of discussion about that in the Darokin map thread along with the map he made which does show what the consensus Borderland territories were.

I can't check that map at work, but I think by and large the Borderlands were mapped as you note, with the assumption that the hexes shaded in on the 24 mile map on p. 11 were the actual borders (some of them might have been broken up; again, I don't recall).

That said, I tend to agree with you that those borders should probably not be representative of the size of individual Borderlands, and frankly they should probably not be entirely contiguous; there is likely a lot of wilderness and/or contested territory between individual holdings. Module CM9: Legacy of Blood- from where the Borderlands concept originated, IIRC, shows one Borderland dominion that fills a typical 24 mile hex (the base for the Dominion rules) that sits on the southern border of Alfheim.

(Note that the location of that borderland- Fenhold, IIRC- from the module conflicts with the later map of Darokin in that the 24 mile hex it occupies doesn't fit with the location of the town of Dolos. Personally, I like to keep it there, and just bump Dolos slightly further from the hex it currently sits in- attributing it to the elements of scale, but that the general consensus on that front was that Dolos should stay where it is, and Fenhold should be bumped instead.)

In short, there wasn't much specifically developed in canon. There have been some "fanon" things, such as the map above, as well as a few scattered entries in almanacs and things that you might find on the Vaults. If I remember later, when I can check the Vaults, I'll post the ones I recall. I know one was in the southwestern region near the Forts and the Tiger Clan territory (Tenobar region). I can't recall if it was James Mishler or Marco Dalmonte that did the writeup (or someone else; possibly multiple people).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:24 am

I found one of the things I was thinking of. It was from James Mishler, as I thought- his Westerlands work. The Tenobar/Atruaghin region.

I swear that there was another one, something similar (perhaps even in the same area), maybe from one of the almanacs, but darned if I can find it now.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Gecko » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:00 am

(late to the thread)

Zendrolion's MGaz1 also detailed a few SE of Selenica, is that what you were thinking of 'Drew?
Gecko
Storm Giant

Postby Robin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:43 pm

I had made Northern region of Darokin( ArdelphiaArdelphia, Corun's Glen, Calair, Inlashar, and Magyar-Orzag.
https://orig01.deviantart.net/42d2/f/2016/299/c/d/the_broken_lands_eastern_half__1_mile_hexes_by_6inchnails-dama31a.png
as 1 mile hex maps these are detailed enough and revela their size very good.

will this be helpful?
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Cthulhudrew » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:18 am

Gecko wrote:Zendrolion's MGaz1 also detailed a few SE of Selenica, is that what you were thinking of 'Drew?

That's actually not what I was thinking of, but I'd never seen this before. Thanks for the link!
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Return to Mystara