Storm King's Thunder in Mystara

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII

Storm King's Thunder in Mystara

Postby mister c » Sat May 13, 2017 7:41 pm

This has probably been discussed before, but I've only just got Storm King's Thunder, and wondered if anyone else has run it in Mystara, and if so, where?
My initial thought is to set it mostly in Norwold, so now I'm reading up on that area. Apart from Test of The Warlords, and a couple of other CM modules, is there any more info on the region.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by mister c on Sun May 14, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mister c
Ogre

Re: Storm King's Thunder in Mystara

Postby stebehil » Sat May 13, 2017 9:38 pm

The Threshold fan magazine has covered Norwold in several issues, of course.
I think X13 Saga of the Shadow Lord is situated in the north as well, but not in Norwold per se.

What does that campaign entail? A rough outline would help to form an opinion.
stebehil
Hobgoblin

Postby mister c » Sat May 13, 2017 9:50 pm

I forgot Threshold, will read through them again.

Spoilers

Campaign is about a power scramble between the giant races. They have this thing the Ordnung, which determines their place in giant society, and it's been broken by outside scheming.
Campaign is set in the Savage Lands, starts with giants raiding settlements, then heroes follow a prophecy to try and fix the ordnung and uncover the power behind the plot.
The area covered is vast, from frozen ice islands to coral seas, but a lot of the action takes place in a cool northern land with some civilised settlements among barbarian tribes.
Not sure how much I would emphasise the Alphatia/Thyatis conflict, or how much the armies of CM1 would unbalance it.
Does this help?
mister c
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Sun May 14, 2017 10:02 am

I take it you mean Storm King's Thunder. :?

Sounds to me that someone needs to scan through Storm King's Thunder and make a list of the Forgotten Realms elements (places, organisations, deities etc) and then put out an open call for suitable Mystara replacements.

Some of the namechecks within Storm King's Thunder might be a bit obscure. (I say "might" as I have not bought it yet - I will buy it at some point, as I've heard it has Spelljammer namechecks in it ;) - but right now I don't have it.) If you can find some friendly Forgotten Realms experts, they might be able to help you track down FR namechecks you don't notice yourself.

When you have a list of FR elements, you could go looking for Mystara elements that could replace them.

You might even want to do that with a few elements that are new to SKT, if anyone can think of existing Mystara elements that would create a tie in to previous Mystara products. I think it would be great if Mystara fans played SKT and discovered stuff from canon Mystara products was used to foreshadow things in the adventure.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun May 14, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby mister c » Sun May 14, 2017 10:25 am

Indeed i do, oops, sorry.
The main stage for the campaign is the vast Savage Lands. Many barbarian tribes and settled regions, mostly semi independent townships. There's a surprisingly large amount of info on the area, and the plot is a lot less linear than Horde of the Dragon Queen.
mister c
Ogre

Postby stebehil » Sun May 14, 2017 1:01 pm

This sounds as if placing it in Norwold should fit quite well. Giants are well established there or easily explained, and barbarians anyway.
stebehil
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Sun May 14, 2017 5:27 pm

mister c wrote:Indeed i do, oops, sorry.

No need to apologise. I've made similar mistakes myself. I really used to struggle with Rules Cyclopedia (and with most people just calling it "RC" I was baffled for several years when I saw it mentioned).

I'll see if I can get the topic title fixed for you. (That might help a few Storm King's Thunder fans stumble onto the topic and give you some advice.)

mister c wrote:The main stage for the campaign is the vast Savage Lands. Many barbarian tribes and settled regions, mostly semi independent townships. There's a surprisingly large amount of info on the area, and the plot is a lot less linear than Horde of the Dragon Queen.

I guess that, if you can do stuff from SKT in different ways, that would make it easier to shuffle the plot around to fit with the geography of the Known World. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby mister c » Sun May 14, 2017 8:03 pm

@ Big Mac, thanks. The details of the geography are crying out to be used, I'll try and port as many as possible over to Mystara, while making them feel part of 'our' world.
One example of the epic feel is an underground tunnel leading through a mountain range to an abandoned dwarven port city. In teh silted up sea are several dwarven stone ships, now lairs for monsters.
mister c
Ogre

Return to Mystara