[5E] gray philosopher

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

[5E] gray philosopher

Postby CommanderCrud » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Anyone have a 5e conversion for the gray philosopher?
CommanderCrud
Orc

Re: gray philosopher

Postby RobJN » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:13 pm

Hmm, it's not in the Rules Cyclopedia, but maybe if we ask nice, Hugin will put it on his list.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Hugin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:38 am

Here's a stab at it! It is quite a different kind of monster than most, which is one of the reasons I decided to give it a try instead of working on the horde for my other conversion thread. I hope this will work for you.

GREY PHILOSOPHER
Medium undead, neutral evil
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Armour Class 18 (natural armour)
Hit Points, grey philosopher 91 (14d8 + 28)
Hit Points, malice 1
Speed grey philosopher 0 ft., malice fly 50 ft. (hover)

Saving Throws Int +5, Wis +4
Damage Resistances acid; cold; fire; lightning; thunder
Damage Immunities necrotic; poison; psychic
Condition Immunities charmed; exhaustion; frightened; grappled; petrified
Senses passive Perception 12
Languages -----
Challenge 4 (1,100 XP)

Incorporeal. The grey philosopher appears as a seated, grey, insubstantial, robed figure, deep in thought. It cannot be turned by a cleric or forced to move by any means.

Manifested Malice. Over the centuries, the evil notions of the philosopher take on a substance and will of their own. Since they spawn from the essence of the philosopher, they use the philosopher's ability scores. However, each malice has only 1 hit point. They fly through the air, constantly searching for victims on which to vent their spite. The damage from their touch of malice attack is determined by the alignment of the target; if the target's alignment is unaligned, it is treated as a neutral. Malices do not stray more than 100 feet away from their seated philosopher, but can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing. The philosopher creates 2d8 malices each century. All malices instantly vanish when the philosopher is destroyed.

Unbreakable Thoughts. The philosopher's thoughts and concentration cannot be broken. It has no attack of its own, only those of its malices. It will not defend itself, and any melee attack targeting it has advantage. When it is defeated, any remaining malices will instantly vanish.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The philosopher makes as many touch of malice attacks as it has malices, to a maximum of four attacks.

Touch of Malice. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. If the target attacked the grey philosopher on its last turn, the touch of malice attack has advantage.
Hit against evil: 6 (1d4 + 4) psychic damage.
Hit against neutral: 7 (1d6 + 4) psychic damage.
Hit against good: 8 (1d8 + 4) psychic damage.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby CommanderCrud » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:21 pm

Great! I'll use this in the next session or two and will post my thoughts on it afterwards.
CommanderCrud
Orc

Postby stebehil » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:58 pm

Where did they appear originally? I remember seeing them somewhere, but where?
stebehil
Bugbear

Postby Khedrac » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:35 pm

stebehil wrote:Where did they appear originally? I remember seeing them somewhere, but where?

I know they were in AC7 Creature Catalogue and I don't recall them from any module prior to that so I would think AC7 is the original, but I don't know where AC7 came from (except for a few from the previous Expert set).
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".
Khedrac
Ostego

Postby CommanderCrud » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:15 pm

I don't know of them appearing anywhere except the Creature Catalogue. But I've put one in a Nithian temple hidden in caverns deep under the Old Mill in Threshold. My players went into the tunnels in last night's session.
CommanderCrud
Orc

Postby Hugin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:40 am

I am fairly certain they didn't appear in any other basic D&D module besides the Creature Catalogue.

Thanks for offering to post about it after using it in a game. The basic concept that I have is that there is an important decision that the players have to make; do they attempt to fight off all the malices before destroying the philosopher, or do they go right for the philosopher, allowing the malices advantage on their attacks, and hoping that they will all cease to exist once the philosopher is defeated (which is true).

Hopefully it will create an interesting encounter.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby CommanderCrud » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:36 pm

My party ended up running away from the malices before they even saw the philosopher, so they have no idea what was going on. They believe it was just a bunch of tiny ghosts that could not leave the tomb they found.

Previously I ran them through the first story in the Karameikos Kingdom of Adventure boxed set where that temple door seals shut on you, now they think there is something up with all Nithian temples with undead that are stuck in them. One of many theories they have is that all Nithian temples have trapped souls in them. The cleric plans to dive deep into Nithian history and figure out the reasons behind this doomed ancient culture.

Their current plan is to wait for the cleric to level up enough to turn these monsters before they return to either location.
CommanderCrud
Orc

Postby RobJN » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:29 am

CommanderCrud wrote:One of many theories they have is that all Nithian temples have trapped souls in them.

I love it when the players do my world-building for me ;)
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Hugin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:33 pm

Too bad they didn't get to test out my conversion. :twisted:

But that was still a very interesting story going on in your game, CommanderCrud!
Hugin
Green Dragon

Re: [5E] gray philosopher

Postby Havard » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:51 pm

Nice conversion!

I wonder if many of these are actually ancient Traldar Philosophers, still hanging out in Karameikos?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [5E] gray philosopher

Postby Dread Delgath » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:18 am

Thanks for this. I was looking for some kind of undead for a Nilbog* (Volo's Guide nilbogs) lair, and this will work better than the wraiths and spectres I had originally envisioned. :twisted:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Return to Mystara