Some Mystara based custom magic items

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Some Mystara based custom magic items

Postby Darva » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:54 am

deleted.
Last edited by Darva on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Darva
Hobgoblin

Re: Some Mystara based custom magic items

Postby Darva » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:58 am

deleted.
Last edited by Darva on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darva
Hobgoblin

Postby Darva » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:01 am

deleted.
Last edited by Darva on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darva
Hobgoblin

Postby Darva » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:04 am

deleted.
Last edited by Darva on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darva
Hobgoblin

Postby Darva » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:09 am

deleted.
Last edited by Darva on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darva
Hobgoblin

Postby Darva » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:19 am

deleted.
Last edited by Darva on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darva
Hobgoblin

Postby Darva » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:22 am

deleted.
Last edited by Darva on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darva
Hobgoblin

Postby Darva » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:26 am

deleted.
Darva
Hobgoblin

Postby Darva » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:37 am

deleted.
Darva
Hobgoblin

Postby Darva » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:37 am

deleted.
Last edited by Darva on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darva
Hobgoblin

Postby Robin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:33 am

Darva wrote:Avrine's New Moon Makeup
Hin storytellers who extol Avrine's adventures often quip that she was the greatest sneak of all the ages, and when she wanted to remain hidden, even the eyes of the Immortals couldn't spy upon her.

At first; nice stuff :D , fun balanced :lol: and usable ;)

Second I noticed one flaw :o ; in the quoted text; I would exchange "the eyes of the Immortals "into the eyes of Scryers"
This for one reason, no mortal magic is stronger than Immortal magic, especially the Immortal Eye, which breached any barier.

However; there are many more spells blocking Scryers (those using crystal balls, and other divination spells/items), which could balance this and keep the fun in the item and functionability.

Otherwise; this sentence as pronounced by storytellers could be an exaggeration or brag.

keep the good stuff coming :twisted: :halo:
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Darva » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:40 pm

deleted.
Last edited by Darva on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darva
Hobgoblin

Postby Chimpman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:19 pm

Just starting to read through this. I'll have more comments shortly. Great posts!
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Chimpman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:00 pm

First I have to say I love these kind of entries! They really help flesh out the game world, and provide real character and history to the magical items you are describing. Great work, and if you find more of these (or develop them later) please continue to post them!

Darva wrote:Avrine's Lockpicks
Avrine Nimblefoot is a legendary figure among the folk of the Five Shires and western Karameikos, especially the Hin. She lived about 50 years ago, and was a daring swashbuckler of a lass, living a life of wild adventures and daring deeds. Among the stories told about her are the tale of how she retrieved the jeweled crown of Black Eagle Barony from a bugbear bandit who accosted the Baron on the Road on a return trip to Specularum after a holiday, and a wild yarn about a game of dice with the gods which lasted the entire harvestfest holiday week and earned Avrine the enchanted lockpicks that now bear her name when she tricked the god into admitting defeat (even though he was obviously winning, the storytellers add with a knowing wink and grin).

This caught my attention. I'm not sure the dates work out here. IIRC, Stephen (and with him his cousin the Black Eagle) didn't take possession of Karameikos until AC 970. So if the above is written from the perspective of AC 1000, and Avrine died 50 years ago, she never would have crossed paths with the Black Eagle (at least not in Traladara).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Darva » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:58 pm

deleted.
Last edited by Darva on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darva
Hobgoblin

Postby Darva » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:07 pm

deleted.
Last edited by Darva on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darva
Hobgoblin

Postby Robin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:24 pm

Darva wrote:
Chimpman wrote:This caught my attention. I'm not sure the dates work out here. IIRC, Stephen (and with him his cousin the Black Eagle) didn't take possession of Karameikos until AC 970. So if the above is written from the perspective of AC 1000, and Avrine died 50 years ago, she never would have crossed paths with the Black Eagle (at least not in Traladara).

I interpreted the background history of Karameikos/Traladara to mean that when Thyatis took control of the "entire Traladara region" as an imperial protectorate in about AC900, they established some minor baronies in the area, including the Barony of Marilenev centered on the newly renamed Specularum and the Barony of the Black Eagle, centered on Fort Doom. So, in other words, Ludwig von Hendricks is not the first Baron of the Black Eagle Barony.

His 2nd predecessor, whose name I created from whole cloth and would have to dig through my notes to find ruled the Barony in Avrine's time, and was actually well liked by and on excellent terms with the Five Shires Hin. That's why ithe Hin are proud of the folk story of how the Hin heroine was able to retrieve the Baron's stolen crown from the bugbear bandits who stole it.

Good relations with the Hin continued through the reign of the next Baron, Von Hendrick's immediate predecessor, and it wasn't until Duke Stefan's ill fated decision to overlook his cousin's flaws and appoint him Baron of the Black Eagle lands when the old Baron died with no clear heir that the situation on the Karameikos and Five Shires border deteriorated, and pretty quickly. Ludwig is an arrogant jerk even when dealing with other Thyatian humans. He looks down on Traladaran folk, and views the Hin as foolish children who need to be strictly controlled. The Hin hope that when Ludwig goes away (most don't outright wish him dead, they just want him and Bargle gone), Duke Stefan will appoint a new Baron more similar to the previous Barons and peaceful times will return.

You jump a bit far from canon though; Baron Ludwig has the Black Eagle as a personal Heraldic symbol even when he lived in Thyatis. As thus it can't be named Black Eagle Barony, before he was assigned as baron.
Secondly The rulers of Marilinev weren't evil.
thirdly it was never a Barony as their was no king, but more an estate as per Gaz1.

However; to follow the boasting Hin, they could have exagurated the story also in this aspect.
Making flaws in the timeline and ownership, etc.
It could also be that they meant less time than 50 years ago, maybe 25, then it would well be possible.
don't forget Hin, living much longer than humans have less feeling for time than humans do, and more like elves (who have an irritating lack of feeling need for time keeping and thus agreements---the only creatures even worse are Treants, who can ponder a week over a simple answer).
Sill awesome job ;) .
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Darva » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:40 pm

deleted.
Last edited by Darva on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Darva
Hobgoblin

Postby Darva » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:43 pm

Oops. Quoted instead of edited.
Darva
Hobgoblin

Postby Chimpman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:43 pm

Darva wrote:
Chimpman wrote:This caught my attention. I'm not sure the dates work out here. IIRC, Stephen (and with him his cousin the Black Eagle) didn't take possession of Karameikos until AC 970. So if the above is written from the perspective of AC 1000, and Avrine died 50 years ago, she never would have crossed paths with the Black Eagle (at least not in Traladara).

I interpreted the background history of Karameikos/Traladara to mean that when Thyatis took control of the "entire Traladara region" as an imperial protectorate in about AC900, they established some minor baronies in the area, including the Barony of Marilenev centered on the newly renamed Specularum and the Barony of the Black Eagle, centered on Fort Doom. So, in other words, Ludwig von Hendricks is not the first Baron of the Black Eagle Barony.

Ahh, got it. I think you are right about when Thyatis took over Traladara, but neither Stephen nor the Black Eagle would have moved in until AC 970. In that sense (and agreeing with Robin here) I don't think the baron of that area would have been called the Black Eagle. Fort Doom (IIRC) was built over the community of Halav, so if there was a baron before Ludwig, they would have probably been called the Baron of Halav. Anyway, that was what was throwing me off (minor nit-pick), but I love the back story regardless. I do like your idea that the hin actually got along with the former baron before Ludwig came along... it makes their feud with him that much more intense.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:38 am

So much to read! Great stuff. Thanks for sharing, Darva!
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Robin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:45 pm

I especially like the recipies ;)
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby stanles » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:57 pm

I'm only getting up to here for pulling things off for the Vaults. I tried to send a PM to Darva but she has apparently left the Piazza; that seems to be a shame.
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com
stanles
Troll

Return to Mystara