[Large Scale Battles] Aklandas Simulator (Download)

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Re: [Large Scale Battles] Aklandas Simulator (Download)

Postby aklanda » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:32 pm

There is a goblin-walk, rather a sullen goblin I would say. Click on the picture to start the clip:

Place hundreds of orcs against a company of elves: Aklandas Large Battle Simulator
aklanda
Gnoll

Postby Mike » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:50 am

I have a set of trailmap-style symbols. I don't know where I got them, but the files have time stamps as far back as 1998. It looks like they were originally bmp files. Anyway currently they are png files, so it is very easy to update and expand the tile set whenever I get around to it. It just hasn't been a priority. (I can't believe I've been messing with this project off and on in for nearly 20 years... every few years I'll dust it off, migrate the code to the latest version of java and add some new features.)

I downloaded Thorf's latest graphics but they seem to be Adobe Illustrator files. I also found sets of gimp brushes on Pandius, but my program wants to use png or gif files. I was thinking recently of adding support for svg vector graphics to make scalable maps, but I'll need to do more research on how to do it first.
Mike
Ogre

Postby aklanda » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:28 am

Here´s a link to a legend: http://mystara.thorf.co.uk/other/legend.png from thorf.

There also seem to bee some in pinterest:

https://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=htt ... A..i&w=728

And of course there are some more at pandius: http://www.pandius.com/gam_res.html#mapping
Place hundreds of orcs against a company of elves: Aklandas Large Battle Simulator
aklanda
Gnoll

Postby agathokles » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:58 pm

Mike wrote:I have a set of trailmap-style symbols. I don't know where I got them, but the files have time stamps as far back as 1998. It looks like they were originally bmp files. Anyway currently they are png files, so it is very easy to update and expand the tile set whenever I get around to it. It just hasn't been a priority. (I can't believe I've been messing with this project off and on in for nearly 20 years... every few years I'll dust it off, migrate the code to the latest version of java and add some new features.)

I downloaded Thorf's latest graphics but they seem to be Adobe Illustrator files. I also found sets of gimp brushes on Pandius, but my program wants to use png or gif files. I was thinking recently of adding support for svg vector graphics to make scalable maps, but I'll need to do more research on how to do it first.

GIMP brushes are basically bitmaps. It takes a bit of time, but you can save each brush as a gif or png. That said, vectorial images are much better, so if you managed to add svg support and convert Thorf's brushes to svg, it would make you application look much better on a wide range of displays.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby aklanda » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:47 pm

agathokles wrote:That said, vectorial images are much better, so if you managed to add svg support and convert Thorf's brushes to svg...

Looks like inkscape can convert bitmap to svg: https://askubuntu.com/questions/301540/ ... vg-in-gimp
agathokles wrote:... it would make you application look much better on a wide range of displays.
GP

Looks like a good idea. Thanks. Just checked and seems like it won´t be impossible to implement svg support in my programming language. I will keep it in mind...

On the other hand, right now I am developing for windows only (as the multi-system version of xojo is off-limits to my private budget and I would also have no ways to try out a software that is targeted for OS).
aklanda
Gnoll

Postby agathokles » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:59 pm

Bitmap to swg is not that easy... The limits of a bitmap format will show.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Question regarding hexographer

Postby aklanda » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:07 pm

I just visited the website of hexographer. I wonder if there are lots of people out there, who created their maps with hexographer?

The background is, that I consider to make an import-function for maps created with hexographer for my simulator.

So, if there are people out there who have some maps in hexographer, plz just say hello!

And another question:

I understand that some more precise-maps where made in GIMP (with the help of an addon?) and with Adobe Photoshop?

If yes: Are these maps existent only as pixelmaps or did for example the addon in GIMP stored rather the tileset-information than the pixel-map?

Thanks in advance for the information.
aklanda
Gnoll

Postby agathokles » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:10 pm

GIMP is bitmap only.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby aklanda » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:30 pm

agathokles wrote:Bitmap to swg is not that easy... The limits of a bitmap format will show.

GP

Did convert the png "bad magic point" tile from thorfin to svg like described in the link I posted above and got this result:

Doesn`t look too bad. There are some green point in the eyes but the edges are sharp as hell.

You can also download the created svg-file from here: bad magic point.svg to have an even closer look on it.
Last edited by aklanda on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aklanda
Gnoll

Postby aklanda » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:41 pm

agathokles wrote:GIMP is bitmap only.
GP

that does have advantages, but it is not easy to convert it to computeable data...
aklanda
Gnoll

Postby aklanda » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:45 pm

Sometimes, as an adventurer, you are really happy, when things just pass by without noticing you - like a troll ...
(Click on the picture to play the clip)

PS: Will probably be able to publish an update of the simulator tomorrow!

aklanda
Gnoll

Still hunting bugs

Postby aklanda » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:25 am

I am still hunting bugs in the simulator. In the pauses I spend some more time with blender and created this sneaking elf.

As always: Click on the picture to see the clip:

aklanda
Gnoll

Update to 0.605

Postby aklanda » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:51 pm

Ok, after days of digging into code, drinking coffee (and occasionally tea) and long nights I spotted and eliminated the most obvious bugs.

So right now I proudly present the new version 0.605 for Aklandas Large Battle Simulator:

:arrow: Download Aklandas Large Battle Simulator (This link will always aim to the newest version! Please be patient, the download is about 41 MB!!)

I tested it in windows7 and windows10. It comes with a installer, so you just have to download and install.

Enjoy!
Aklanda
aklanda
Gnoll

Hexographer-Import

Postby aklanda » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Started to implement the hexographer-import.
Left side you see the original hexographer-map and right is the imported map (Click on the picture to enlarge):

Has anyone a hexographer-map of mystara and deliberatly wants to share it here?
Would be so much more fun to work on mystara instead of an randomly created map!
aklanda
Gnoll

Postby Mike » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:58 am

I have a map of Karameikos but its not in hexographer format. I also made up a Freeciv hexmap of the known world but that is also not in hexographer format. So in either case there would be some conversion required.
Mike
Ogre

Postby aklanda » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:22 am

Mike wrote:I have a map of Karameikos but its not in hexographer format. I also made up a Freeciv hexmap of the known world but that is also not in hexographer format. So in either case there would be some conversion required.

Thanks Mike. Right at the moment I´d rather stay with hexographer-maps. Changes are high that people made them with borders already and maybe also some settlements. That would make it easy to auto-mark the domains and auto-place the settlements.
aklanda
Gnoll

More animations

Postby aklanda » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:54 pm

Made a new start-screen for the simulator:

aklanda
Gnoll

Reworked Orc

Postby aklanda » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:53 am

Worked on some of the 3d models, especially orcs.
As I enjoy the more comical animations, here is one more: An elf in normal conversation with an orc (this doesn´t include shooting arrows and hitting with swords):
(As always: Cick on the picture to start the clip)

aklanda
Gnoll

Calculating Wilderness and Civilisation

Postby aklanda » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:54 pm

Started to concentrate on the economic, strategic and political aspects of the simulator.

I am already able to scan in pixel-maps or hexographer-maps, to convert them into my own map-format and to mark dominions and countries on it.
I can also place settlements (cities, villages, keeps and so on) on the map.

For to be able to do some simulation on economics, the simulation does now calculate the "civilisation-grade" of the terrain.

In this video you can watch as I overlay the pixel-map (in this case of central Thyatis from Mystara, but you could choose any map) with the country-layer,
afterward with the dominion-layer and
last but not least with a layer, showing the calculated civilisation-grade of the terrain.
Red is wilderness, green is civilized area.

Any suggestions for further features or comments are welcome!

Especially I would be interested which features you would suggest/expect from the simulation of the dominions?

(Click on the picture to start the movie)
aklanda
Gnoll

Update

Postby aklanda » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:16 pm

I updated the Simulator. You can download version 0.653 from it´s new website: Download Aklandas Fantasy Simulator

New Features:
  • Full free version, no limits anymore
  • It is still charityware though, that is, I ask you to donate 5 Dollars to a charity if you use it more often or like it
  • Import hexographer-maps
  • import images (jpg/png) of topographic-maps and let the simulator create hex-maps from it. The simulator will try to guess the terrain, based on the color in the topographic map (see my post here for more info)
  • Create and edit hex-maps
  • Place Cities, keeps, villages
  • Let the simulator calculate the grade of civilisation based on the placed villages, cities...
  • Export the hex-maps as images; choose magnification freely

Attention: The included documentation is old and will not fit 100%. Will update it, when I have some more time left...

For better persistence, I also created a website for the simulator. You will also find my new created maps over there;

New Website for Aklandas Fantasy Simulator
aklanda
Gnoll

New Manual

Postby aklanda » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:45 am

Updated the manual for my simulator, which you can download here:

Aklandas Fantasy Simulator MANUAL (2,5 MB)

Content is:

Quickstart .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3

Battle.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4
      The.Battle.Map.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4
      A.closer.look.at.battle... .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .5
      Battle.Map.Panel... .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .6
      Add.a.character. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..7
      Add.a.group ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ..8
      Orders.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9

Creating.a.World... .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 10
      Importing.an.image-map... .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 10
      Importing.from.hexographer. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 11
      Editing.the.map. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 12
      Creating.a.3D-Map ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 13
      Adding.settlements.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
      Countries. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 15
      Dominions.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
      Armies.(BETA). .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 17
      Preferences.for.maps ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 18
      Export.map.as.jpg-image ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 19

Modding. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 20
      How.to.include.mods?. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 20
      How.To.Mod?.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20
      What.can.be.modded?. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 20
      Modding.the.simulator. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 20
      Create.a.new.mod. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 21
      Changing.tables.in-game ... .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 22
      Changing.tables ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 23
      Scripting.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24
      Replacing.3D-objects... .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. 25

aklanda
Gnoll

"Hexing" the world

Postby aklanda » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:15 pm

Tried out the converting-capabilities of the simulator on some other available maps and made quite an progress in creating some interesting hex-maps.

aklanda
Gnoll

How to convert topographic maps into hex maps

Postby aklanda » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:14 am

In case anyone else wants to convert his favorite place of earth or his favorite fantasy-map into a hex-map:
Here is a video I named "hexing Britain and Ireland in 20 minutes" showing how I did it: (Click on the image to start it!)

aklanda
Gnoll

Previous

Return to Mystara