[White Dwarf] Great Source of D&D stuff located

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

[White Dwarf] Great Source of D&D stuff located

Postby Robin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:18 pm

Hi
In my search for the picture of a Crowrse (don't ask....will be revealed soon in upcoming Threshold :twisted: ) I delved through my old White Dwarf magazines. I remembered a picture usable from there...
While i speedread these magazines, i noticed yesterday that the first 100 or so of White Dwarf contain a real treasure trove of D&D stuff from the first era before it became AD&D, AD&D2.
Adventures, creatures, magical spells and items, discussions in the early Dragon Magazine style.
Well Known names as Roger E Moore, Gary Gygax (including interview).
This was 1985 and before. Before Games Workshop and TSR got angry at eachother, and mutually work on a magazine for their combined stuff. So really old stuff is to be found.
I know some of these can be found free on the internet, but I dont know where.
Luckily I have them in real paper form, although several are damaged by mice/moisture in the 4 years I had to store them in a garage.
I could not go through this without informing all off you.
So if you have some old White Dwarf lying around, it is worth a while to dive deeper in it.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Re: Great Source of D&D stuff located

Postby Havard » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:59 pm

Robin wrote:Hi
In my search for the picture of a Crowrse (don't ask....will be revealed soon in upcoming Threshold :twisted: ) I delved through my old White Dwarf magazines. I remembered a picture usable from there...
While i speedread these magazines, i noticed yesterday that the first 100 or so of White Dwarf contain a real treasure trove of D&D stuff from the first era before it became AD&D, AD&D2.
Adventures, creatures, magical spells and items, discussions in the early Dragon Magazine style.
Well Known names as Roger E Moore, Gary Gygax (including interview).
This was 1985 and before. Before Games Workshop and TSR got angry at eachother, and mutually work on a magazine for their combined stuff. So really old stuff is to be found.
I know some of these can be found free on the internet, but I dont know where.
Luckily I have them in real paper form, although several are damaged by mice/moisture in the 4 years I had to store them in a garage.
I could not go through this without informing all off you.
So if you have some old White Dwarf lying around, it is worth a while to dive deeper in it.

Indeed, we were just talking about that in this thread in the Piazza's Middle-earth forum, where I said that:

Havard wrote:
Sock Puppet wrote:The 1st fiend folio book was essentially "monsters from white dwarf magazine". Take from that what you will.

Ideed. Same goes for several monsters that were later included in AC9 Creature Catalog for BECMI.

In did not know that it went on for as much as 100 issues. It is also interesting to hear of the authors involved. I wonder if they submitted material directly to White Dwarf or if these were reprints from Polyhedron or other places?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [White Dwarf] Great Source of D&D stuff located

Postby RobJN » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:00 pm

The Grognard Files podcast has a segment where much of the best D&D-related material is reviewed or discussed. Highly recommend a listen, particularly the (A)D&D episodes from April through July of 2016
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby oleck » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:35 pm

i found this at internet URL Removed

Please do not share links to pirated IP content, even if it is long out off print.

— Ashtagon
oleck
Bugbear

Postby oleck » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:23 am

Sorry for that :oops: :(
oleck
Bugbear

Postby Robin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:25 pm

oleck wrote:i found this at internet URL Removed

Please do not share links to pirated IP content, even if it is long out off print.

— Ashtagon

There are indeed sources online to dowload this, but I urge great caution, many of these are filled with virusses.
I had tried to find those examples damaged/ or totally lost, to find this lost knowledge myself, and it did cost me great trouble to save my own files. And even the attempts to dowload were often blocked by my active virus protectors.I eventually decided to buy these missing ones legally, without risque...and to some still search several issues which I miss pages. There are several locations (mostly Games Workshop or second hand game stores) selling this stuff often reasonably priced (2UK pound to 12 I know)
I truly do not know if these pages hold also D&D interesting stuff, but they succeeded to make me interested.

As to what I found...I could try to come up with a list.
That will take some time though..as I am very busy now. :o
come back to this later ;)
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Ashtagon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:29 pm

Just to be clear, there is a long-standing ban on providing links to any and all pirated IP content.

Yes, I know these links exist, and enable people to take meaningful part in a discussion they might not otherwise be able to. Doesn't matter.

This ban has nothing to do with the risk of viruses and other malware being placed onto your computer.

The ban is in place because it is against the law to pirate these products.

More to the point, supporting such sites will inevitably harm the games industry by taking money away from content producers. I realise in this specific case the IP is long out of print and unlikely to ever see print again. Still doesn't matter.

And no, discussions on whether those laws are just are not on-topic for this site. If you wish to agitate for a change in IP law, please do not do it on this site.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Robin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:24 pm

I know and respect this.
For me it was just a search if it was even possible to find the sections of magazines went damaged in Real Life (i.e. paper) by mice/moisture
but i prefer a real copy anyway. not only no riss, but physical and producer company supportive
Robin
Cloud Giant

Return to Mystara