Tomb of Annhilation (5E) includes Mystara references!

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Re: Tomb of Annhilation (5E) includes Mystara references!

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:22 am

Tim Baker wrote:The tortles will appear in their own supplement from the DM's Guild named The Tortle Package. It's available later today.
That is quite a difference physically from 2E to 5E...they look sickly now.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Dread Delgath » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Tim Baker wrote:The tortles will appear in their own supplement from the DM's Guild named The Tortle Package. It's available later today.
That is quite a difference physically from 2E to 5E...they look sickly now.

They were barely on my radar as a viable NPC race then, and never a possible candidate for PCs. I.... No. Just no. :facepalm:
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby agathokles » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Havard wrote:Always nice to see a mention of Mystara and here we have two! :)

[...]

Does anyone here know if there are more Mystara references in the book? The Savage Coast is pretty different from ThayChult. How many changes would one need to make to use this adventure with Mystara?

I've had a look at the handouts and other material around the web.

From what I gather:
  • The mention of Mystara is really just name dropping. The Savage Coast does not seem a good replacement for Chult at all, and both the Thyatian Hinterlands in Davania and the Serpent Peninsula would work better, considering that dinosaurs and jungle environments are the most prominent features of Chult. Even the Isle of Dread would work better than the Savage Coast...
  • The idea of providing multiple guides with different quests/secret agendas is cool, and worth adapting in any wilderness exploration-based game. It would work wonderfully in Isle of Dread, for example. I've seen reports of the previous storyline (Storm King's Thunder) multi-table adventures (organized play with multiple tables playing different parts of a single adventure). It looks like the multiple guides idea will work towards a similar style, allowing each table to choose a different guide.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Morfie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:20 am

agathokles wrote:The mention of Mystara is really just name dropping. The Savage Coast does not seem a good replacement for Chult at all, and both the Thyatian Hinterlands in Davania and the Serpent Peninsula would work better, considering that dinosaurs and jungle environments are the most prominent features of Chult. Even the Isle of Dread would work better than the Savage Coast...

Agreed!
My guess is someone had a glance at the Rasmussen era Savage Coast (before Bruce Heard fleshed it out), saw X9 had some jungle area and decided that was as good a place as any to put it.

Still glad it got some mention though..
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby Havard » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:53 pm

Yes, the real Mystara easter eggs seem to have been moved to the Tortle Package where you have a number of AC9 and Savage Coast creatures represented.

If nothing else came out of this, I do believe it got people talking about Mystara again on multiple sites and platforms and that is always a good thing.

I am still waiting for my copy of the Tomb of Annhilation to see what would be the best way to adapt this adventure to Mystara. Perhaps the Savage Coast isn't the ideal setting for the adventure, but how important is the jungle aspect? Could the same type of encounters be used in a drier pampas region with similar effects?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby agathokles » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:11 pm

Havard wrote:Yes, the real Mystara easter eggs seem to have been moved to the Tortle Package where you have a number of AC9 and Savage Coast creatures represented.

If nothing else came out of this, I do believe it got people talking about Mystara again on multiple sites and platforms and that is always a good thing.

I am still waiting for my copy of the Tomb of Annhilation to see what would be the best way to adapt this adventure to Mystara. Perhaps the Savage Coast isn't the ideal setting for the adventure, but how important is the jungle aspect? Could the same type of encounters be used in a drier pampas region with similar effects?

I suspect several climate effects, not to mention visibility, would not work well with the pampas.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Previous

Return to Mystara