Halfling Masters

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Halfling Masters

Postby Dragonhelm » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:11 pm

Has there been any conversion of the Halfling Master subclass from The Five Shires to 3e, 4e, or 5e?

As far as I can tell, the best conversion would be a halfling druid.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Re: Halfling Masters

Postby RobJN » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:47 pm

Seems to be the best bet. Change some of the flavor text, and voila!
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:53 pm

I also like using a Druid as the basis.

THIRD EDITION:
Perhaps a Prestigue Class available for both Druids and Clerics?

FOURTH EDITION
Not sure.

FIFTH EDITION
How about a Druid, but with a unique archetype available to Halflings?

I think unique abilities could be related to Halfling Homelands and perhaps the Blackflame.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Robin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:01 pm

brrr. :| :? ..i still prefer BECMI D&D, with all the gazzeteer and other rules :lol: :mrgreen:
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Big Mac » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:41 am

Dragonhelm wrote:Has there been any conversion of the Halfling Master subclass from The Five Shires to 3e, 4e, or 5e?

The Mystara 3E Conversion Project has a Hin Master Prestige Class.

There is also something called "Master of the Shires" in the Halfling Conversion topic in the Mystara 4E Conversion Project that might be the same thing. (I'm not very good at reading 4e stats, so I'm not sure.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby agathokles » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:03 pm

Druids in 4e focus on shape changing, mostly. I suppose some kind of Sorcerer or Cleric or hybrid would work instead.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby TheGlen » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:57 pm

I converted it to 5e, changing it to a cleric domain. The spell list was primarily druid spells about helping the land and detecting bad guys. Broke from tradition in that it doesn't have damage bonuses at 8th level. The extra damage didn't make a lot of sense to a class about protecting the land.
TheGlen
Orc

Postby Tim Baker » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:36 am

Big Mac wrote:There is also something called "Master of the Shires" in the Halfling Conversion topic in the Mystara 4E Conversion Project that might be the same thing. (I'm not very good at reading 4e stats, so I'm not sure.)

The Master of the Shires is an NPC. It's a divine rather than primal caster, so it seems closer to a cleric than a druid. It's abilities are as follows:
  • Quarterstaff - a magical melee weapon attack that also slows its opponents on a hit
  • Stinging Swarm - summons a swarm of insects that do poison damage to enemies
  • Entangling Terrain - creates a zone of terrain that damages and immobilizes those who enter
  • Denial - dispels a magical zone or conjuration
  • Ritual Caster - the following ritual spells are typically known: Animal Messenger, Endure Elements, Water Walk, Traveller’s Feast, Remove Affliction, and Water Breathing
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Tim Baker » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:42 am

agathokles wrote:Druids in 4e focus on shape changing, mostly. I suppose some kind of Sorcerer or Cleric or hybrid would work instead.

Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms features the Sentinel druid subclass. Rather than shapeshifting, this was a casting class with an animal companion. It filled the leader role. Additionally, Heroes of the Feywild added the Protector druid subclass to the available options. This is a caster that manipulates nature and conjures natural creatures to aid them. It filled the controller role.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby stebehil » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:38 pm

I noted some ideas about the mechanics of a conversion here: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=17104#p197090
Other than that, the Master is probably a modified cleric, with a special domain to reflect their special powers. I did not delve into the minutiae of the spell list to check which spells are missing from the 5e cleric list and need to be added via a domain. I don´t think that druid is an appropriate representation here, with their wildshape abilities.

The denial special power should probably be a feat. It would have a racial requisite, obviously. I´m not sure if the level requisite should be kept, as feats in 5e come at a cost anyways. I don´t like the mechanics of this for 5e, with a d20 roll and adding stats to it. The power of the spell is no factor whatsoever for this ability, so this should be left out as well. The results given show that an average character will have no effect whatsoever 50% of the time, and a complete negation needs a very high roll and very high stats. For the most part, pretty useless, unless you happen to be a Master, in which case even average mental faculties and average rolls would grant full success - pretty imbalanced there, if you ask me. So, this roll might be better if keyed to a single mental stat. I´d recommend Wisdom, but might give a choice of Wis or Int (or even Cha). Wisdom would keep it in line with the Master as divine caster. A table measuring success is not quite within the 5e spirit, but might be needed here. So, a Halfling with this feat and average mental stats would have minimal success on a roll of 11+ or more.

Maybe like this (note that a full success is possible for everyone here, this diverts from the original writeup):

roll: D20 + wis mod

up to 10 = no effect
11-15 = effect reduced by 1/4, slightly diverted
16-18 = effect reduced by 1/2, diverted
19 = effect reduced by 3/4, completely diverted
20+ = effect denied completely
nat 20 = effect reflected back on caster

I think relegating the reflection to chance is better than having this dependant on high rolls. If you want to keep the Masters advantage intact, you might want to add double the Wis Mod to the roll. This would not change the chance for a reflection, obviously.

EDIT: come to think of it, the Denial feat might be added as a 1st level power to the Master Domain. The double Wis mod should then probably be left out our added at a later point.
stebehil
Gnoll

Return to Mystara