Bruce Heard's "How Many Peasants" Article

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Bruce Heard's "How Many Peasants" Article

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:10 pm

https://bruce-heard.blogspot.no/2017/10 ... sants.html

An interesting read with material relevant for both Mystara and Calidar.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Bruce Heard's "How Many Peasants" Article

Postby Ambreville » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:26 pm

Thanks for the signal boost.

The approach to this article made sense in view of the conceptual similarities between Mystara and Calidar. One thing I did not want to do when I began working on my current project was to reinvent the wheel. Mystara was a lot of fun and had plenty of good features. On the other hand, I did want to capitalize on experience gained with Mystara to give Calidar a special spin, especially as regards fundamental game world design. All parallels aside, Calidar had to be different enough from Mystara for two reasons. One is legal. The other is for the sake of creativity. As a writer, I had to have a topic different and "fresh" enough to avoid sawing the sawdust, so to speak. In any case, it's always fun to pinpoint similarities (intended or accidental), even though they may not be entirely obvious.
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook, Calidar Page on G+,
Mystara on Facebook, Mystara Page on G+, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby Big Mac » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:55 am

Havard wrote:An interesting read with material relevant for both Mystara and Calidar.

Shouldn't this be in the Calidar forum, as Bruce's article talks about working out the stats for Ellyrion, Meryath, Osriel, Caldwen, Phrydias, Alfdain, Narwan, Belledor, Nordheim and Araldur?

Having said that, if someone uses Bruce's logic (and Lyman Stone's research) to recalculate the population of Mystara's various regions, that might be an interesting thing to see. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:09 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:An interesting read with material relevant for both Mystara and Calidar.

Shouldn't this be in the Calidar forum, as Bruce's article talks about working out the stats for Ellyrion, Meryath, Osriel, Caldwen, Phrydias, Alfdain, Narwan, Belledor, Nordheim and Araldur?

Having said that, if someone uses Bruce's logic (and Lyman Stone's research) to recalculate the population of Mystara's various regions, that might be an interesting thing to see. :)

I think this article bears relevance for Mystara as well since Mystara is mentioned in the article. Two separate threads, one for each setting (and forum) might be useful. I mainly wanted to hear if people felt this could be useful for their Mystara campaigns :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Hugin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:06 am

A very interesting article by Bruce.

I've used the article he mentions, Medieval Demographics Made Easy, for quite some time now. But the second, commenting article, was new to me so thank you very much for the link!
Hugin
Green Dragon

Return to Mystara