[Laterre] Notable NPCs?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

[Laterre] Notable NPCs?

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:07 pm

What notable NPCs are referenced in Mystara products that hail from Laterre? Could someone compile a list?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [Laterre] Notable NPCs?

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:12 pm

Kingdom of France
King Húber the Kind
Marie-Hélène de Montagnevert
Camille de Montagnevert
Michel d'Ambreville
Richard d'Ambreville
Marcel d'Ambreville
Étienne d'Ambreville
Charles d'Ambreville
Simon d'Ambreville
Geneviève de Sephora
Isabelle Gravelotte
Magdalène d'Ambreville
Isidore de Foret
Henri d'Ambreville
André-David de Foret
Gaston d'Ambreville

(German) Holy Roman Empire

Byzantine Empire
The Traladaran Three can sometimes be encountered exploring the Greek Peninsula.

Scandinavian Kingdoms
Wotan - An old man wandering the lands. Actually a Manifestation of Odin

The British Isles
Brannart McGregor (Gaz 3)
The Fen Witches (G:KoA)

Asia
Nyx (WotI)
Idraote (Damascus)

Vinland
Pickman The Wizard (Thunder Rift), his tower is in the Americas possibly in what will one day become known as Pensylvania.

Africa
Bastet - Can sometime be seen in Egypt

I'm sure I forgot a few. It also depends a bit to what year exactly in Laterre's history corresponds to Modern Mystara. I think Ripvanwormer suggested 1300, while Cthulhudrew has suggested a few decades later to correspond to AC1000.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:51 pm

Actually, a listing of all NPCs by time period would be ideal. Thanks for kicking it off, Havard!
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby ripvanwormer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:22 am

Based on characters alluded to in the artifacts section of the Dungeons & Dragons Master Rules, plus the imposter Greek gods from IM2 The Wrath of Olympus, here's a very rough timeline of NPCs:

circa 1272 BC-1212 BC: Tyche, Bemarris, Kythria, Lokena, Palson, Patura, Turmis, Taroyas, Aeolus, Harmonia, Nyx, Hector, Idraote

circa 970 to 931 BC: King Solomon

circa  638–495 BC: Amasis II, Abaris the Hyperborean, Polycrates, Hellespontine Sibyl

circa 83-30 BC: Mark Antony

circa 33 AD: Joseph of Arimathea

circa 375-453 AD: Dietrich of Bern

circa 437 AD: Sigurd, Alberich, Wayland, Wittich, Odin, Loki, Hel

circa 537–539 AD: Lancelot du Lac, Galahad, Percival, the Fisher King, King Arthur

circa 778 AD: Roland, Ruggiero, Ogier the Dane, Frithiof, Falerina, Munifican, Charlemagne, Oliver, Gallas, Ansias

circa 786-809 AD: Sinbad the Sailor

circa 943-975: Sir Bevis of Hampton

circa 1043-1099: Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar

circa 1605-1615 AD: Don Quixote de la Mancha
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:59 am

ripvanwormer wrote:Based on characters alluded to in the artifacts section of the Dungeons & Dragons Master Rules, plus the imposter Greek gods from IM2 The Wrath of Olympus, here's a very rough timeline of NPCs:

circa 1272 BC-1212 BC: Tyche, Bemarris, Kythria, Lokena, Palson, Patura, Turmis, Taroyas, Aeolus, Harmonia, Nyx, Hector, Idraote

Connecting the Imposter Gods to Laterre is interesting. Has that been established in previous fan material? Do you have any further ideas on this? I rather like the idea and I am curious to hear more :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ripvanwormer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:55 am

Havard wrote:Connecting the Imposter Gods to Laterre is interesting. Has that been established in previous fan material? Do you have any further ideas on this? I rather like the idea and I am curious to hear more

It seemed reasonable to assume that the Immortals posing as Greek gods were familiar with the Greek gods because they had been to Laterre/the Dimension of Myth. Marco Dalmonte's Codex Immortalis has an alternative idea: long ago, the Greek pantheon attempted to invade the Multiverse Dimension and the Immortals imprisoned them in a pocket dimension known as the Mandala of Myth. The Immortals Brissard, Taroyas, Patura, Palson, and Lokena were set to guard it, but due to the machinations of Talitha they ended up becoming possessed by the personalities imprisoned within.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:35 am

In re: the Impostor Gods, note that WotI does give most of them vague but definitely Mystaran origins. Notably, Patura is indicated as having been a Queen of Thyatis in her mortal life, which is one of the more specific notations. That said, I kind of like the idea of tying them to a world that has more direct ties to the Greek pantheon (be it Laterre or Earth or what have you).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby ripvanwormer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:38 pm

I assume the imposters originated on Mystara, but may have visited the Dimension of Myth and might be encountered there during certain eras
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:33 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:I assume the imposters originated on Mystara, but may have visited the Dimension of Myth and might be encountered there during certain eras

I like this re-intrepretation of those events. The module makes it seem as if the impostors claiming to be gods is so offensive to the Immortals, because the Immortals see themselves as inferior to gods. But what if they instead were shocked because they believed that these were intruders from another dimension?

I also wonder what the intruders might have done during their stay on Laterre... Possibly pretending to be gods there as well?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to Mystara