Dorfin IV

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Dorfin IV

Postby CommanderCrud » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:50 pm

I came here to search for info on Dorfin IV. No search results. None. Is there seriously zero info on that?
CommanderCrud
Orc

Re: Dorfin IV

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:02 pm

Bruce Heard wrote about him in Dragon #153:

Haldemar of Haaken, captain of the ever-victorious Princess Ark, wrote:And, yes, about this Dorfin Empire: It was the joke of a certain gnomish king, the inventor of wondrous but totally useless contraptions, who went by the name of King Dorfin IV. His kingdom is, in truth, merely the workshop of a few hundred gnomes in the hills of Karameikos. One of Dorf's favorite pastimes was to send loyal followers beyond the Sind Desert. There, they would pose as plenipotentiaries of the imaginary "Empire of Dorfin IV," then hire local people to carry a sealed message back to the real King Dorfin. These strange messengers, obviously from a distant place, seemed to make quite an impression on local Karameikan barons when they brought the gnomish king those phony and pompous greetings from his "imperial cousin to the west." These messages hinted at the outrageous size of this bogus empire, alleged to be twice the size of Alphatia! What nonsense! And the barons believed it, the fools.

Dorfin IV is the king of Highforge in Karameikos. There's some more information on him in The Book of Wondrous Inventions.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Robin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:15 pm

all i can say that rip is right, but to add this; there are fanworks (in Threshold magazines also) who mention him as part of the Gnomish nations' history of Brun... yet I forgot who (or whom) created these fanworks or where to further find them.
Could it be Syurm?...at least he might know a bit more..
So my advise is to check the Threshold magazines (especially on Timelines) in the meantime.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:38 pm

There's some (wildly different) stuff on an ancient Empire of Dorfin in Christian Constantin's Hulean timeline and in Marco Dalmonte's Vulcania article.

And there's something by Bruce Heard here that also puts Dorfin's empire in Vulcania.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:53 am

Let us not forget that, at least according to Prince Haldemar of Haaken:

Dragon Magazine #153, Voyage of the Princess Ark #1 wrote:"And, yes, about this Dorfin Empire: It was the joke of a certain gnomish king, the inventor of wondrous but totally useless contraptions, who went by the name of King Dorfin IV... [o]ne of Dorfin's favorite pastimes was to send loyal followers beyond the Sind Desert. There, they would pose as plenipotentiaries of the imaginary Empire of Dorfin IV, then hire local people to carry a sealed message back to the real King Dorfin... These messages hinted at the outrageous size of this bogus empire, alleged to be twice the size of Alphatia! What nonsense! And the barons believed it, the fools."

So, if you're looking for information on the Empire of Dorfin mentioned on the Masters Set map, it appears to have been an elaborate prank all along. However, as others have noted, there has been some fan information on Dorfin (including by Bruce Heard who wrote the Snartapolis article ripvanwormer linked to, as well as the Princess Ark series, and the entry for "Dorfin's Little Shop of Horrors" from AC11: The Book of Wondrous Inventions wherein the gnomish king of Highforge was first named). As well, some of the information that Haldemar scoffs at and boldly declares is all wrong in Dragon #153 later turned out to be true (I'd have to double check for the specifics), so it is your guess as to whether there exists a true Empire of Dorfin in the middle of central Brun or not.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby brassdragon » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:28 am

I imagine there must have been DMs who fleshed out parts of the Master Set map for their own campaigns. But I have yet to see any of these "alternate Mystaras" made public.

Anybody have old campaign notes to share? :)
brassdragon
Goblin

Postby CommanderCrud » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:27 am

I knew I'd get responses with good info. You guys are great. Surprising to find that searching for Dorfin found nothing, until now!
CommanderCrud
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:58 am

Robin wrote:all i can say that rip is right, but to add this; there are fanworks (in Threshold magazines also) who mention him as part of the Gnomish nations' history of Brun... yet I forgot who (or whom) created these fanworks or where to further find them.

Is there an index for the various Threshold Magazine articles?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Sturm » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:10 pm

I wrote about Dorfin in the last issue of Threshold which you can find here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18772
As explained in my Timeline of Brun article, I imagine Dorfin was a name the gnomes of Brun used to influence the history of the continent. Dorfin IV would be their fourth attempt to create an unified rule in Brun, promoting Law over Chaos (and so, mainly against Hule).
This is mostly my creation but inspired by some canon and fan sources as explained in the article. Dorfin was also the name of some human leaders who attacked Hule in the past as per Christian Constantin's Hulean timeline (and were secretly aided and controlled by the gnomes) and canonically (by Bruce Heard) Dorfin was/is also a name used by the Snartan gnomes in Davania and by some kings of the gnomes in Highforge, Karameikos.
My explanation for this is that Dorfin is a common gnomish name which has particular meaning for them. According to the small dictionary in Gazetteer 6, the Dwarves of Rockhome, Dorf means slow or ponderous in dwarvish. I think gnomish should be a very similar language, if not the same.
So maybe in gnomish Dorfin means ponderously, maybe in the sense of slow and steady rather than ankwardly, which could make sense for races who revere stone and stability :)

The partial index of Threshold articles is here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17521 but it does not includes issues #15, #16 and #17 yet, I will update it as soon as possible..
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Sturm » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:12 pm

BTW if you search for "Dorfin" in the Vaults of Pandius there are several results: http://search.freefind.com/servlet/free ... +ALL+words
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Robin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:44 pm

I Knew I remembered it while proofreading...just forgot when...so it was indeed your work....lol...i"m getting old :o :oops: :o ;)
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Return to Mystara