Adventures Vs. the Iron Ring - existing? Help?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Adventures Vs. the Iron Ring - existing? Help?

Postby Big Ulf » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:55 am

Hey all, I'm DMing BECMI/RC with some modifications for the old RPing gang, and we're having a great time. Most of our gaming as teens was with 1e, and nice to go back to basics and focus on roleplaying.
because of time and life etc., I'm generally using pre-existing modules as the foundation for the campaign. Really can't put a lot of time into sandboxing or wholly original campaigns.
Just finished B2, B10, and X8, and now there's a gap as they travel from Thyatis City back to their storage locker in Karameikos (and stuff taking place further west once they get to high enough level).

So basically I'd like to get them raised a level or two by the time they take on the next adventures I have planned for them in the west of Mystara. They fought the Iron Ring in B10 with a bit of an open end to it, so thought it would be good to find a module or adventure somewhere that has them capping off the Ring...maybe involving Baron Von Hendricks and Fort Doom if they're capable enough (all around level 7, fighter-heavy but basically have every class).

Do you folks know of any pre-existing adventures/modules/articles in magazines that I can easily slot in that are good for say, levels 6-8, against the Iron Ring so I can wrap that storyline up?

thanks!
Big Ulf
Hobgoblin

Re: Adventures Vs. the Iron Ring - existing? Help?

Postby Sturm » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:53 am

As the Iron Ring of the basic modules became an important part of the Mystara setting, probably you should have asked the question in that forum, anyway I think that's not a problem, a moderator will move the thread if he considers it fits better there.
To answer your questions you can find plenty of material in the Vaults of Pandius, Mystara's official site:
Scourge of the Iron Ring by Steven B. Wilson http://pandius.com/sirnring.html
and also more adventure ideas here http://pandius.com/5div.html and here http://pandius.com/epicadvs.html
I am also using them in my PbP, see here: http://pandius.com/intknpcs.html
Also the old Mystara videogame Order of the Griffon has a plot which heavily involves the Iron Ring. You can find walkthrough here: https://www.gamefaqs.com/tg16/589058-du ... iffon/faqs and use them for tabletop adventures
Also in this thread of the Mystara forum: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18345 user Oleck has just compiled in a pdf all the available canon informations on the Iron Ring.
I think that's enough for now, but probably there is more in the Vaults so use the search button on the site to explore it :)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Yaztromo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:59 pm

If the above stuff is not enough, I have to say that I originally played the Scrouge of the Slave Lords reskinned for Karameikos setting and the Slave Lords became this way the Iron Ring.
It worked pretty well even without massive adaptations.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby agathokles » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:23 pm

I definitely agree with Yaztromo on adapting the slave Lords Saga to Karameikos.
GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Sturm » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:29 pm

Indeed the Steven B. Wilson link above seems exactly that, even if I've not read it in detail yet...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:57 pm

Giulio was thinking of having captured PCs get sold to the Iron Ring back in 2011. Ardano Silverbow created a homebrew adventue, called "The Kidnapped Prince" for his own Mystara campaign.

Mortis found an organisation that was also called the Iron Ring in a Pathfinder product earlier this year.

You might also like MD01 The Iron Ring Society Files.

Good luck!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby agathokles » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:20 pm

Sturm wrote:Indeed the Steven B. Wilson link above seems exactly that, even if I've not read it in detail yet...

Ah, yes! Excellent find!
I might have read it in the past, but have no recollection of it right now. Steven did also other good conversion (Red Hand of Doom, IIRC).

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby oleck » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:55 am

Yayyy!! Thx Big Mac for putting "You might also like MD01 The Iron Ring Society Files."
oleck
Bugbear

Postby agathokles » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:56 am

As a side note, a full-blown adaptation of either Scourge or Order of the Griffon would make an excellent Threshold Magazine article.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Big Ulf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:40 pm

Holy smokes, thanks for the great resources all. Good community on here.
Big Ulf
Hobgoblin

Return to Mystara