[Gaz7] Norse Rune Magic

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

[Gaz7] Norse Rune Magic

Postby Havard » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:19 pm

I feel like the Rune Magic described in Gaz7 was a bit of a let down. It is both hard to access and a doesnt really have the awesome factor that sort of magic deserves. Has anyone looked at different ways to express the magic of the Norse Runes?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Gaz7] Norse Rune Magic

Postby Sturm » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:56 pm

In Threshold issue #6 Giuliano Michelon wrote "Magic of Runes, Using the Northern Reaches Runes under the d20 rules", but now I do not know if he expanded the rules or just converted them...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Yaztromo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:25 pm

I think that rune magic as described in Gaz7 would be perfect in a low magic setting.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Robin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:55 am

A long Time ago I had created this booklet; Runes. This was part of my book "The Immortals" as I used this knowledge also on the several immortals therein. However, I later decided to keep it seperate, but kept the Immortals section with the runes intact in the Immortal Document. The Rune section thus became a seperate book, which I may have presented earlier here, but I totally forgot.
Here I not only interred the existing Runes, but used my knowledge on Real World assumed magic within Runes to expand on them.
However, it may still be expanded somewhat, with my current knowledge. it may still be of some use to you...enjoy eitherway. :ugeek: ;)
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Yaztromo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:11 am

Robin wrote:A long Time ago I had created this booklet; Runes. This was part of my book "The Immortals" as I used this knowledge also on the several immortals therein.

By the way, you did a great job! ;)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Robin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:38 am

Yaztromo wrote:
Robin wrote:A long Time ago I had created this booklet; Runes. This was part of my book "The Immortals" as I used this knowledge also on the several immortals therein.

By the way, you did a great job! ;)

Thanx ;) nice to hear people like my compilation/creation works :geek:

Btw...as the Runes link is from Google Drive i advise to download it by the download option, instead of viewing it through the Drive option, as Google Drive corrupts documents their layout....(in this case many pictures of the Runes may become not shown)...by downloading and viewing it by Word everything will be displayed as I intended...at least this is as far as I know the best solution.

I will make a PDF of this file later, that might be even better :P
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Robin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:59 pm

Ok..as agreed, I made the former Word Document on Runes into a PDF document. :o
thus also easy to read without downloading. :ugeek:
Runes
Have fun with it :ugeek: :lol:

Shawn...you may post this on Pandius if you so desire.
Last edited by Robin on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Cthulhudrew » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:57 am

I haven't yet done anything with Gaz7's system of Rune Magic yet myself, though when compiling the information together with other magical systems at one point, I did think it would be interesting to do a couple of things with it:

1) Create similar rules for the Runic Alphabets of the Elves (CM7: Tree of Life) and Essuria (X11: Saga of the Shadowlord).
2) See if there is some way to combine the Gaz7 Rune Magic system with the Secret Craft of Cryptomancy (Rune Magic) from Gaz3.

Both things are still on my (way too long) to-do list, but if anyone else has any thoughts to share, I'm all ears.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:29 am

Havard wrote:I feel like the Rune Magic described in Gaz7 was a bit of a let down. It is both hard to access and a doesnt really have the awesome factor that sort of magic deserves. Has anyone looked at different ways to express the magic of the Norse Runes?

Joseph Bloch wasn't impressed with the rune magic either:
Joseph Bloch at the Google+ community for The Piazza wrote:So many people have wrecked their longships on the shoals of rune magic in RPGs. The Northern Reaches isn't a "system of rune magic", it's a couple of spells with the word "rune" tossed in. The rules in HR1 Vikings Campaign Sourcebook isn't any better.

Perhaps I'm overly critical because I have been a student of (real) rune magic for 30 years, but the stuff that has come out in various D&D supplements never comes close. I wonder if historical rune-magic and seiðr (a different sort of Germanic magic often erroneously called "Norse shamanism") can actually be done properly in a Vancian magic system like we have in D&D.

It's interesting that Joseph wonders if it is actually possible to do rune magic properly. I don't have 30 years to study runes, so I'd love to if there are any RPGs that have managed to make this look a bit more awesome.

Perhaps there is a non-D&D product from one of the Nodric countries that has been built around runes. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby JTrithen » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:39 pm

Big Mac wrote:Joseph Bloch wasn't impressed with the rune magic either:
Joseph Bloch at the Google+ community for The Piazza wrote:So many people have wrecked their longships on the shoals of rune magic in RPGs. The Northern Reaches isn't a "system of rune magic", it's a couple of spells with the word "rune" tossed in. The rules in HR1 Vikings Campaign Sourcebook isn't any better.

I guess this trend may have continued.

In a review of 5th edition's Storm King's Thunder, Tyler Biddle wrote:

"The whole “harness the power of rune magic” and “defeat giants by becoming giant” ideas are, in practice, pretty mediocre. I’m not implying that we were mislead in any way. I was just expecting a bit more, I guess. For instance, rune magic only exists, from a gameplay standpoint, within magic items in the back of the book and in scripted events during the adventure. There aren’t any additional options for players like what was shown in the “Prestige Classes and Rune Magic” Unearthed Arcana Wizards released last October." (Source: http://www.nerdsourced.com/storm-kings-thunder-review/)

I haven't done much with the GAZ7 rune magic. I wrote up a pretty-straightforward (non-playtested) version of the GAZ7 rules for 5th edition. But, I've never played with them or used them in a game.
JTrithen
Ogre

Postby shesheyan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Fate of Norns Ragnarok rpg is centered on Viking lore. You might find something interesting in the rules since it uses Runes instead of dice :
http://www.fateofthenorns.com/WP/

A review : https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/16/16323.phtml
« Denizens of the North expands and works to clarify the Runic Game System (RGS). You see Ragnarok doesn't use dice, but instead uses the *perfect* prop for a Viking game: Futhark runes. The runes handle all mechanics and they really feel like a resource management game within the game. Denizens of the North adds more cool bits to RGS that make the new archetypes come alive like never before. Each has their own cool way that the runes are used making RGS even more engaging.

This chapter covers new active and passive powers as well as new skills. Some of the new skills are really amazing and cover several pages. Crafting is huge, but you can also use realm ores (molten stone from Muspelheim anyone?), dwarven engineering as well as infusing the souls of the dead. »
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Return to Mystara