[5E] Mystaran Horse Breeds

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

[5E] Mystaran Horse Breeds

Postby Hugin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:33 am

I thought I'd create a separate thread here in the Mystara forum to point out that I have begun to post my 5E versions of the Mystaran Horses I created back in 3.5E.

The 5E thread can be found here and begins with some rules for horses in 5E. While I figured the 5E rules type discussions can happen there, I wanted a separate place to be able discuss the Mystaran horses from a setting and flavour view if that happened.

I have only posted my first test-horse post so far, that being the Ethengar's Akhal-Teke. Only a little over 20 more to go!
Hugin
Green Dragon

Re: [5E] Mystaran Horse Breeds

Postby Havard » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:33 am

Nice to see a return to this topic.

Have you considered adding new breeds to the list? How about magical or semi-magical breeds?

Are any canonical horse breeds not included?

Do the Chevalls of Karameikos care for herds with special properties?

Elven Horses?

Unicorns?

Nightmares?

Celestial/Infernal Horses (translated to Mystara these could be connected to Spheres...?)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Robin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:45 am

maybe my Mystara Monster Manual Compilation chapter animals heremight help...? horses are on page 60-71 and 78
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Hugin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:12 am

Havard wrote:Nice to see a return to this topic.

Have you considered adding new breeds to the list? How about magical or semi-magical breeds?

Thanks for the interest, Havard! I have considered it but it definitely won't be until after I've completed the existing ones. The Elves of Alfheim have a semi-magical breed, which I have included already. Magical breeds seem to fall under the "monster entry" category to me, but who knows.

Are any canonical horse breeds not included?

Not that I'm aware of. If anybody finds one please let me know! However, just about all of them are simply made up by me.

Do the Chevalls of Karameikos care for herds with special properties?

Canonically, they (along with unicorns) have helped the horses of the elves of Alfeim survive after the transformation of their steppes into a forest, creating as I mentioned above, their special breed of elven horse. Chevalls generally watch out for and care for normal horses. The creation of the special elven horse had to do with saving them from possible extinction, as opposed to just trying make a special breed of horse.

Elven Horses?

Yep. These are the Rochuin Giltirn and are in line to get updated.

Unicorns?

Nightmares?

Since they are already in the Monster Manual I doubt I'll do anything else with them.

Celestial/Infernal Horses (translated to Mystara these could be connected to Spheres...?)

While possible, my main interest is in the mundane horses of everyday use (and hopefully making them just a little less mundane).
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Hugin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:13 am

Robin wrote:maybe my Mystara Monster Manual Compilation chapter animals heremight help...? horses are on page 60-71 and 78

Thanks, Robin! Unfortunately, the link isn't working for me.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Robin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:43 am

hi Hugin
this was a direct Link to the PDF...maybe you don't have a PDF reader active? normally it should work.
Otherwise look here; http://pandius.com/mnstrmnl.html
chapter 2 is of the animals
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby JTrithen » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:46 pm

Great, Hugin!

I'll look forward to this.

I've made some use of your 3.5 version in the past. (I actually mostly just used it for inspiration for classic D&D rules versions, but it worked fine, with me being able to pick and choose some abilities highlighting the distinctions of these breeds in the setting, as your document outlined.)
JTrithen
Ogre

Return to Mystara