Ylaruam Treasure Map

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Ylaruam Treasure Map

Post by Havard » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:57 pm

This image appears on p12 of the Emirates of Ylaruam Gazetteer.

Does this map depict any place on Mystara? Or an other plane?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Khedrac
Ostego

Re: Ylaruam Treasure Map

Post by Khedrac » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:26 pm

Without knowning the scale, all we can answer is "probably" - as it in probably depicts somewhere on Mystara or another plane...
We certainly cannot definitelvely say it is not somewhere on Mystara.
Equally, even if we find a part of Mystara which appears to have matching geography we cannot say that it is of that location either.
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

stebehil
Ogre

Post by stebehil » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:58 pm

Is the artist, presumably Doug Chaffe, still around? Although I´d doubt if he can recall this from 30+ years ago. EDIT: sadly, he is not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Chaffee

Overall, there are details on the map, but they are too vague to say anything about what might be on that map. I´m not even sure which way is north, despite the compass rose (if Ylari maps are indeed north up - historical maps often had south up).

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:21 am

It looks like the compass rose has an "E" on the side pointing towards the hand unrolling the scroll. Other than that, way too little info to even hazard a guess.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Robin
Cloud Giant

Post by Robin » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:11 pm

@ Havard Nice Find :P
Cthulhudrew wrote:It looks like the compass rose has an "E" on the side pointing towards the hand unrolling the scroll. Other than that, way too little info to even hazard a guess.
I you look carefully you'll see that the letters are arabic sigils.
north|shamal|شمال the north sigil on the compass resembles the most left sigil
east|alshrq|الشرق Especially the most left sigil is equal to the sigil on the compass east
south|janub|جنوب
west|gharb|غرب

As being a typical european based person, I totally would accept That doug Chaffe forgot that Arabic is written from right to left, hence the actual wrong sigils.
As to the orientation of the map the rolled up section of the scroll was always on the right or top. hence enforcing text and maps being not too wide.

As to the map the sigils are reduced to mere scribbles, But it is written on a THICK scroll,,,, thus most logically is followed by scriptures and or more maps. Maps drawn by the Arabic (and thus I suppose the Ylari too) are rarely longer than twice its height.

The scribbles next to the compass rose seem to be a scale as the lowest line seems to begin and end in a number, similar like 1 inch 8 mile, or such.

The map reveals the following; a cliff line most near the compass, a river going east from there, ending in a wider river, (the notation scribbles here could hold a warning as this area is most probably Thyatian), a settlement and a river most nnear/north to the compass, a rocky (mesh of scribbles north), with a small designated area (Bush, plain, lake or such) nearby, and it is named, this river (or river bed) goes north meeting the larger river (or river bed), with further up north a trail/road going east to a large city at a clearly designated area (possibly a lake, but could also be more or less fertile ground/oasis etc), this could well be Ylaruam itself, wgich means that the settlement blob at the river south is most probably Hedjazi, making the named settlement Ctesiphon, and the trail/roads coming from Hedjazi going East reaching Abbashan. the faded lins in the middle could well point to the hills in the middle of the great Salt basin. the map could thus be either a general Ylari map...but could also be a map designating ruins in the east (the triangular like structures.

funny is that these locations mimmick more or less my old nithia map...https://6inchnails.deviantart.com/art/A ... -516077764 as it follows the same river lines... so maybe this is a map (copy or original) revealing not today but nithian locations instead.

hope this helps :ugeek:
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:09 pm

My hunch is that it could be a map of the Northern Reaches.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

paleologos
Ogre

Post by paleologos » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:45 am

I was looking at a map of the Great Kingdom earlier this evening, and wondering where I'd seen it recently. Then I remembered this thread!

Check out the coastline, the position of the island, the inland lake...

That's my best guess, anyway

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:22 pm

^^^ This is probably right, IMO. We know that TSR had a library of artwork it owned, and I've seen images used a number of times in different products - it makes sense to re-use assets and while people would notice multiple uses of a cover illustration or full-page art, a quarter-page (or smaller) drawing probably won't be remembered as much. I suspect this drawing probably also appears in a Greyhawk product, somewhere.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Return to “Mystara”