Why the 8 mile hex?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII, Seer of Yhog

bestialwarlust
Goblin

Why the 8 mile hex?

Post by bestialwarlust » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:09 am

I've searched but have been unable to find an answer. Does anyone know why they used 8 miles per hex instead of the 5 or even 6 mile when mapping out the locations in the gazetteers?

Morfie
Metamorph

Re: Why the 8 mile hex?

Post by Morfie » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:00 am

The 24 mile hex is based on the average human travel per day in BECMI, dependent on terrain of course. In AD&D's Greyhawk 30 miles per day was the average travel (Based on 10 hours @ 3mph, instead of 8 hrs) so the Darlene map has 30 mile hexes.

8 is divisible by most of the Traveling Rates by Terrain Table, but then so is 6. Expert Set's map of Karameikos and X1's Isle of Dread were at 6 mile hexes.

But when converting a 24 mile hex to break it down into more detail, 8 fits in a lot better with a 3 x 3 format in 3 directions of travel. Hence the GAZ maps are 8 mile hexes. Conversely when scaling up a 24 mile hex, 72 miles fits in and that was used for other maps. Some fan maps attempt to break down 8 miles further into 2 2/3 mile hexes.

Robin
Cloud Giant

Post by Robin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:28 am

Morfie's answer is right on the dot

I make maps on a 1 mile hex base, and this needs a lot of work by fitting it in, readjusting and bringing in more detail.
Ifyou do not now my map works see my deviant page (see link below)
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

bestialwarlust
Goblin

Post by bestialwarlust » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:16 pm

Robin wrote:Morfie's answer is right on the dot

I make maps on a 1 mile hex base, and this needs a lot of work by fitting it in, readjusting and bringing in more detail.
Ifyou do not now my map works see my deviant page (see link below)

Wow these are some awesome looking maps!

Return to “Mystara”