Skothar development and Wa placement

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII, Seer of Yhog

Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Skothar development and Wa placement

Post by Arnden Quartzspar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:47 am

While looking through the canon material and other information about the Tangor Peninsula, I realized that we may have an open area without a country.
My question to the board is, would you mind if I moved my country of Wa to the southern end of Skothar?
This will allow me to fill that area and adjust Wa to include ogrekin.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Re: Skothar development and Wa placement

Post by Sturm » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:25 am

Basically you do not need to ask permission to place anything in Mystara :) The Vaults of Pandius (And Threshold too if you are interested) is willing to publish any fan work and different ideas even on the same area.
That said, Skothar is so underdeveloped that you generally can place nations where you want. A oriental theme could fit well, ogrekins too given that canon (VotPA) had Tanagogres (Black skinned Tanagoro humans mixed with Ogres).
Probably I've already said it but Threshold issue #20, to be published in July, will be about Skothar. I plan to make a political 72mph map of the continent for the issue and I'd like to include any existing canon and fan nation on it.
Anyway I will soon post a call for contributors for the issue for anyone who may wish to write something about the continent.

Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Post by Zendrolion » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:37 am

Hello Arnden,

do you mean a country of Wa inspired by this one or something entirely new?
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:46 pm

I don't really know much about Mystara, but I'd echo what Sturm said. Your Mystara belongs to you.

However, if you are trying to build your version of Skothar with the idea of using ideas from other fans, you might be wanting to know if anyone else has done something else in that area. :?

If you are coming at this, from that point of view, then here are a couple of links you might like to check out:
  • Skothar Overview - This Vaults of Pandius article was written by Havard. He added a map based on the work of another fan, called Lo Zompatore. I know that Havard hangs around the Mystara forum. Maybe he can get some inspiration from what he did.
  • Skothar/Davania 8 mile maps - This is a topic in Thorf's Projects forum at The Piazza. (That is where he has been discussing maps with people who follow his work. But there is no actual map in that topic.)
  • Lining Up Mystara XII: Reconciling the World Map II: Skothar - This is Thorf's super-geeky project where he is using some pretty advanced mathematics to look at the curvature of Mystara and things like the Polar Openings and how the various maps don't quite fit correctly onto the globe. In this specific blog entry, Thorf is looking at some distortion to the hexes. (I believe that there is more distortion to hexes that are closer to the Polar Openings. I don't understand all of what Thorf is doing, but he is a real genius when it comes to getting different maps to work together. He might be able to point you to a blan, map of Skothar, or help you make sure the surface area of your Wa setting fits in correctly.)
Good luck with whatever it is you want to do.

If you are looking for fanon material to slot around your Wa area, I hope that you can find lots of useful ideas from other fans. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Arnden Quartzspar
Orc

Post by Arnden Quartzspar » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:19 pm

More like this area,
Http://pandius.com/aqrtzspr.html
Usable for an oriental area.

Return to “Mystara”