[Threshold] Choose the next themes of Threshold magazine!

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

What will be Threshold's future themes?

- Future Ages of Mystara
10%
- Adventures and Campaigns
16%
- Heroes and Villains
13%
- Strongholds
18%
- Trade routes
13%
- Vampires and undead
9%
- Generations and Dynasties
6%
- Glantri or Darokin (post to specify)
5%
- Other KW nation (post to specify)
1%
- Another theme (post to specify)
9%

Total votes: 128

oleck
Bugbear

Re: [Threshold] Choose the next themes of Threshold magazine

Post by oleck » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:27 am

Why not making an issue of homemade villages and cities. I think everybody has made its own village on some part of Mystara. Or maybe your old adventurer was granted some lands on Karameikos Darokin, Rockhome etc. Or maybe you created a small island with a pirate hideout or a fisherman village. That could enhance Mystara.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:38 am

I think both Homemade locations and War and Battles could be great idea, as always if we can gather enough material.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:52 am

religon wrote: I'm not suggesting taking Ramelin's Mystara... or any other... whole cloth. I would have no interest in any author's alternative Mystara. I think the manner in which Ignacio presents alternate cultures would be an interesting approach to a Threshold theme. More than just a nugget of an idea. Less than a gazetteer. With some developed maps to support the idea.

The theme would be alternate cultures rather than an alternate Mystara. Interchangeable in the sense than DM's can switch canon cultures with alternates without too much disruption. A 3 to 10 page Threshold article could be devoted to each of 5 to 10 cultures that have given rise to much debate within the Mystara community over the years.
Sure that could work fine but I do not think this is much different from the Alternate timelines/Mystara ideas, it depends on the amount of changes you want to use in your own campaign. I'd like Alternate timelines much more than Alternate nations/locations because I could use them in a Time Voyage adventure, while I would never use an alternate Ylaruam/other nation in the KW because I prefer to keep it as in canon. But I could use Ramelin's alternate Ylaruam somewhere else in Mystara. In fact even much different campaigns can still be useful to provide ideas for your own.. for example Thorn's Mystara by RobJn, which we briefly showcased in Issue #1, is quite different from regular Mystara but I ended using some of RobJn's ideas about fairies in my Koskatep series and I will probably also use them in play, if I get the chance... anyway as of now others seem to be the more popular themes :-)

Mike
Ogre

Post by Mike » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:47 pm

I like the alternatives idea too, whether large changes or small. Technically anything that was not published by TSR is an alternative, and for that matter TSR was not even consistent with itself. There are multiple canons and anything produced by us is non canonical, no matter how good. A great example are Thorf's maps that fix problem areas in matching up published maps. There is value in producing stuff for the consensus view (so as to be broadly usable) but it is also fun to see how various people interpret, reimagine, or flat out change things. Much of the canon is the result of careful scholarship and development, and I'm also interested in seeing that continue so as not to stagnate. I am sure nobody sticks purely to canon and is nice to find an alternative for an area you're not thrilled with. Drop-in replacements are most useful, but larger changes can be interesting. Mystars 2300 BC or far 3000 AC are examples, and Ramelin is another.

Irondrake
Ogre

Post by Irondrake » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:49 pm

I think Adventures and Campaigns is an excellent subject for Threshold Magazine. I was very excited to see a couple of adventures published in a recent issue. A DM can always use more adventures to work into his campaign, especially of those adventures are set in Mystara.

Mike
Ogre

Post by Mike » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:10 pm

Another idea:

mystara adapted for other game systems like 5e or gurps or pathfinder or whatever.

Has undersea been done?

Dungeons of mystara: known dungeons, module placements, etc.

Outer beings. I never get enough of those.

Am epic campaign arc, on the order of wrath of the immortals.

Published products and interviews with authors. A time line of different setting eras and when concepts were changed or introduced. (There was an RPGnet thread reading through every mystars product in chronological order that was fascinating)

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:50 pm

Mike wrote:Another idea:

mystara adapted for other game systems like 5e or gurps or pathfinder or whatever.
That's a difficult topic, since not everyone uses any given rules system. We do accept individual articles using any rules system, and we would certainly accept a general conversion article for a rules system, however an entire issue might not be very interesting for, e.g., people using BECMI.
Has undersea been done?
No, we did a couple issues on the Sea of Dread, but not a specific undersea issue. That's something I'd definitely like to do, since I'm currently playing War Rafts of Kron.
Dungeons of mystara: known dungeons, module placements, etc.
Yes, dungeons and adventures are a popular topic :-)
Ah, that would be nice, but I think to really do a good work on this topic it would take a certain seer ;-)
Am epic campaign arc, on the order of wrath of the immortals.
Great idea. It could be feasible, but in order to publish it in a single issue, it would take a lot of coordination. Still, we would be welcome to do this if enough authors were interested!
Published products and interviews with authors.
We can do reviews, although up to now we never did (if anyone feels up to do a single review, or perhaps even a series, let us know!).
We have done interviews with authors, and we still plan to do more -- but maybe an entire issue would be too much (and difficult to organize).
A time line of different setting eras and when concepts were changed or introduced. (There was an RPGnet thread reading through every mystars product in chronological order that was fascinating)
That's an interesting idea for an article. If you have a link for that thread, I'd be interested to see if people participating to it would be interested to coalesce their collective thoughts as an article (or series).

Thanks for the (great) ideas!

G

JamesMishler
Ogre

Post by JamesMishler » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:18 am

Now there's an interesting idea: Alternate Nations of Mystara.

If/when that becomes a subject, I'll have to finally finish up my Alternate Ierendi Mini-Gazetteer...

stanles
Troll

Post by stanles » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:59 pm

Glantri or Darokin?

How about one on Glantri and one on Darokin? ;)
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:33 pm

Two suggestions for future issues come to my mind:

The Alphatian Colonies - Something more specific than issue 11, focused on locations outside metropolitan Alphatia i.e. Bellissaria, Eastern IoD, Aquas, Qeodhar, Esterhold, the Alatians. It could include also regions already covered in previous issues such as Norwold, the Isle of Dawn, Vulcania, in case somebody comes with new material about these lands.

(a similar issue could be done for the Thyatian Colonies to cover the Thyatian Hinterlands, the Pearl Islands, Western IoD, although I'm not sure there will be enough material to fill a whole issue)

Legends and prophecies - elaborations by the fan base about canon and non-canon myths of Mystara to provide inspirational material for adventures and campaigns.

My two cents! :)

;)

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:02 am

LoZompatore wrote:Two suggestions for future issues come to my mind:

The Alphatian Colonies - Something more specific than issue 11, focused on locations outside metropolitan Alphatia i.e. Bellissaria ...
Ooh yes, Bellissaria is woefully underdeveloped.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:46 am

- Like Undersea.
- Also Epic Campaign Arc it's interesting, maybe it could be done as a 1020 AC Almanac?
- Alphatian and Thyatian colonies would interest me too, however please note that, even that I thought the topic would have gathered a lot of contributors in the end in issue #11 we gathered about 110 pages of material and I wrote about another 110 so the issue was quite big (240) because I had quite some material, but there wasn't much material proposed on the colonies (The Elemental Evil adaptation in the Esterhold, my two articles on the Isle of Dawn and the Almanacs, and that's all). Unfortunately it is almost impossible to predict how much people will contribute to an issue, so we just have to pick a theme and hope for the best, but generally is better is the editor of the issue already has quite some material on the theme because if he has not, putting together an issue may become impossible.
- Like also Legends and Prophecies.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:38 am

Sturm wrote: Unfortunately it is almost impossible to predict how much people will contribute to an issue, so we just have to pick a theme and hope for the best, but generally is better is the editor of the issue already has quite some material on the theme because if he has not, putting together an issue may become impossible.
Which also means, if you are interested in writing on a given topic, let us know so we can plan in advance :-)

GP

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:00 pm

agathokles wrote:
Mike wrote:Another idea:

Ah, that would be nice, but I think to really do a good work on this topic it would take a certain seer ;-)

G
I may not post much at the moment, but I'm not dead, you know. ;)

I would be happy to write something.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:06 pm

"It is not dead which can eternal lie!" ;-)

That's good... Maybe we should do that outer being issue.

GP

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Post by Gravesguardian » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:04 pm

For my "Other" option, I have two:
#1. Expanding and updated Thunder Rift
#2. Show how the Hollow World was affected by the arrival of Duke Hector Barrik's Keep in the Sage game: Warrior's of the Eternal Sun.
Along w/ #2 would come a 3rd: Stat out all the major NPC's from the game so people could include them in their HW campaigns.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:17 pm

Gravesguardian wrote:For my "Other" option, I have two:
#2. Show how the Hollow World was affected by the arrival of Duke Hector Barrik's Keep in the Sage game: Warrior's of the Eternal Sun.
Along w/ #2 would come a 3rd: Stat out all the major NPC's from the game so people could include them in their HW campaigns.
Number 2 is going to happen... Soon :cool:

GP

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave

Post by Gravesguardian » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:29 pm

agathokles wrote:
Gravesguardian wrote:For my "Other" option, I have two:
Number 2 is going to happen... Soon :cool:

GP
Yes! It's long overdue and thanks for the heads up on it.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Re: [Threshold] Choose the next themes of Threshold magazine!

Post by Seer of Yhog » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Okay, I have been pondering and I have a proposal...

I have spent a fair amount of time delving into the zhochal, who have become X-files style adversaries in my campaign. Their society is far more detailled now than anything I've posted before (which wasn't much, admittedly) and one outgrowth is a set of RC-compatible rules to play them as PCs....as not all of them follow the OBs. I also wrote a mini-adventure to playtest them. It was a success, and now they are available to experienced players in my campaign. I also have pre-gens, plus role playing notes.

This would be a substantial chunk, but it's mostly written already. I need to do up some maps for the adventure, and ideally I'd like to design a cover for the Section.

Anyhow, would there be appetite for this?
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:20 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:19 pm
:twisted:

That's a yes, by the way.

You know we are just getting ready to publish the Immortals and the Planes Issue. That could have fit well there, but now that you mention the zhochal and the Outer Beings, I'm wondering if we could run a "Horror in Mystara" issue? That might be kind of fun to put together.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave

Post by Gravesguardian » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:27 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:20 pm
Seer of Yhog wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:19 pm
:twisted:

That's a yes, by the way.

You know we are just getting ready to publish the Immortals and the Planes Issue. That could have fit well there, but now that you mention the zhochal and the Outer Beings, I'm wondering if we could run a "Horror in Mystara" issue? That might be kind of fun to put together.
Don't we already have that in areas of Glantri?

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:56 pm

Well, we do have some horror aspects in areas of Glantri (vampires, werewolves, etc). Having said that, while a "Glantri" Issue could have some horror aspects, the issue focus itself wouldn't be "Horror". It would be Glantri. If you want to include Horror from across the globe, then we should open it up into a more general topic.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave

Post by Gravesguardian » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:06 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:56 pm
Well, we do have some horror aspects in areas of Glantri (vampires, werewolves, etc). Having said that, while a "Glantri" Issue could have some horror aspects, the issue focus itself wouldn't be "Horror". It would be Glantri. If you want to include Horror from across the globe, then we should open it up into a more general topic.
True, I was mainly using Glantri as an example. I know alot has been done on Taymora too, which should also fit the bill.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:21 pm

Geoff, that would be a great article!
GP

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:27 am

Gravesguardian wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:06 pm
True, I was mainly using Glantri as an example. I know alot has been done on Taymora too, which should also fit the bill.
Oh... :mrgreen: Yes! That would fit in perfectly.

Not to pile more onto Geoff (I'd never do that purposefully :twisted: ) but the first thing I thought of was The Dark Shire.

Death Knights would also fit the bill - I could pull Yuri Molotov into the mix.

The Egg of Coot. Moorkroft, Burrowers, Entropics. I think there's more than enough for an entire issue (or two...)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Return to “Mystara”